Kaleb McGary Trade Up Reminds Me of Sam Baker pick years ago

It's funny how nobody talks about the Writings ot Wall with Dimitrioff ever since the draft that brought Matt Ryan from BC. Obviously, TD has made his career off of that pick and wasn't wrong for it. But later in that draft at 21 the Falcon's trade back up in the 1st for Sam Baker... Right before Houston's pick. They claimed they needed "someone to protect" Matt Ryan of course and that makes sense, right? So what was that ALL OF ELEVEN OR SO YEARS AGO? OK so Dimi & Co grab a redshirt senior 3-4 year starter white guy who had great technique but so-so athletically and a known injury bug. Right behind them comes Houston w/ the Duane Brown pick. At the time Brown also a 4 year dude who started his sophomore year was falling due to technique issues moreso than his raw athleticism. And the Falcon's jumped them for Sam effin Baker who they had to go all the way to California to scout when Brown who played in the same conference as Matt Ryan was closer to home AND STILL OVERLOOKED. THAT SET A TONE. We are known OVERDRAFTERS. See it every year with these guys. And for some odd reason they just won't draft black olinemen. I have no clue as to why but I've seen these same shenanigans 10 years ago. Thank God they won on the first pick because they lost that gamble at the second one. Overpaying your WRs RBs & LTs smh... Same old Failcons. Kaleb McGary is not a starter so there's no one way a common-sense franchise would draft him in the 1st round. Stop wishing you were the Patriots my true Falcons fans and embrace the suck.

P.s. Go Look @ Duane Brown's career vs Sam Baker. That's the true resume of Thomas Dimitrioff. He's a 50/50 drafter. By nature. You will NEVER see this team make GREAT picks in succession outside of a leap year.

Edited by Hurry_Up_And_Buy

Well if history is repeating itself and we drafted a Boston College guy 1st then traded up for a OT that won't work.  Then by god we just drafted a hall of fame caliber top 5 OG in Lindstrom like ryan is a hall of fame caliber top 5 QB.  I'll take 1 bad trade up pick to get a HOF Boston college player again if it is indeed repeating lol.   Also i actually liked Sam Baker thank you very much before his injury and in his rookie season he was kicking *** and people thought he was gonna be great he was playing like the top OL in that class his rookie year.  True it didn't end well for him but the talent was for sure there to begin with and he tried his best afterwards to no avail.   Same with Peria Jerry i liked that pick as well and his rookie year before injuries he was flashing dominant tendancies.  I've noticed alot of TD's lineman that don't pan out is because they get some dumb injury they never fully recover from which is hard to blame on TD.

5 minutes ago, jidady said:

Either way, Sam Baker was a good player for us, so it's not even a solid criticism of the selection.

Like i mentioned last night....depends on the version of Baker....the 08,10,12 largely healthy versions of Baker.....we would be lucky if the new kid played that well.

If it is 09 &11 versions of Baker that were hurt and ineffective.....yeah that would suck.

I get it tbh. Dimi even said in the interview tackles were coming off the board and he was "worried" about a run at the top of the 2nd round. He originally was looking at McGary with pick 45.

McGary's issues may be due to coaching somewhat, from what I've heard. But that also means it's a stretch to expect him to start right away. For our 2nd and 3rd round picks, that's a tough pill to swallow.

1 hour ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I get it tbh. Dimi even said in the interview tackles were coming off the board and he was "worried" about a run at the top of the 2nd round. He originally was looking at McGary with pick 45.

McGary's issues may be due to coaching somewhat, from what I've heard. But that also means it's a stretch to expect him to start right away. For our 2nd and 3rd round picks, that's a tough pill to swallow.

Well if he was the target at 45 then all we really did waw give up a 3rd...and get a 6th back.

Not really that hard to swallow...especially considering that if he does play well we got an extra year on the cheap

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my goodness! In HINDSIGHT a GM drafted a worse player ahead of a better player!!!! Off with his head!!! This is an outrage!!!!!

And YES, Let’s just gloss over the fact that he selected the best player in the history of our franchise who has a good bet to be a hall of fame QB earlier in the same draft because that next pick didn’t turn out as well!!

Look at the facts people!! Dimitroff is not putting together perfect drafts!! He misses on some picks even!! Why have we not stormed the castle yet??!!

:rolleyes:

Edited by FalconBlood

On 4/26/2019 at 1:42 PM, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Saw this in another post

McGary arm length is 32 7/8" and Baker arm length is 32 3/4". 

Take that for what you will.

Baker had 2 decent years.  The other ones were either sub-par or injury filled.

Joe Thomas, the best offensive tackle of last 15 years, had a measured arm length of 32 1/2”. McGary’s is 32 7/8”. 

Take THAT for what you will. 

Edited by FalconBlood