205 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, Theyhateme : ) said:

I'm curious....did we all just forget about Senat?  I know he's not 340, but we did draft him last year

He's not a young Grady Jackson like Lawrence or Shelton is. In the end I still hope we end up singing Shelton.

9 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

He's not a young Grady Jackson like Lawrence or Shelton is. In the end I still hope we end up singing Shelton.

OH....Grady Jackson...LOL...we barely have 1 person on the roster that's 340lbs.

Just now, Theyhateme : ) said:

But when we drafted him, everyone said he was a Grady clone....remember?

They were wrong, Grady Jackson, Lawrence and Shelton have about 30 lbs on Senat. We need at least one guy on our DL in that mold

1 minute ago, MAD597 said:

They were wrong, Grady Jackson, Lawrence and Shelton have about 30 lbs on Senat. We need at least one guy on our DL in that mold

No...I'm sorry....they said he was a Grady Jarrett clone.

13 minutes ago, Theyhateme : ) said:

OH....Grady Jackson...LOL...we barely have 1 person on the roster that's 340lbs.

Yea exactly, we need a guy like him on our DL

13 minutes ago, Theyhateme : ) said:

No...I'm sorry....they said he was a Grady Jarrett clone.

He is. That's another reason I didn't think there was any chance we'd take Christian Wilkins. He's yet another Grady clone. 

I'm on board with adding Shelton, if possible, btw. 

2 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

He is. That's another reason I didn't think there was any chance we'd take Christian Wilkins. He's yet another Grady clone. 

I'm on board with adding Shelton, if possible, btw. 

I'd like to see them add a big back really soon and be done with the offense.

2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

The defense had one remaining glaring hole.  Poe.  We had him in Dexter Lawrence

We have him in Tyler Davison, we also have Senat who will be in his second season. We have Hageman as well who is no slouch. 

Just now, Osiruz said:

We have him in Tyler Davison, we also have Senat who will be in his second season. We have Hageman as well who is no slouch. 

Come on, man.  I like Tyler.  But he isn’t Poe

10 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Come on, man.  I like Tyler.  But he isn’t Poe

Don't need poe, poe is overrated. Senat needs some pt and will be just fine, Hageman himself was starting to come on before we cut him and our run defense with him was just as good.

1 hour ago, MAD597 said:

We don't need an DT to rush the passer we need a big NT to take double teams, stop the run, collapse the pocket and open lanes for our other pass rushers we already drafted in the 1st rd. Building a defense that can consistently put pressure on the QB is not about just adding guys that by themself rush the passer.

Some of you guys just can't see that and want everyone to rush the passer but that's not how it works. A big DT can compliment and make it much easier for the pass rushers we already have on the roster to actually get to the QB.

A later round guy to keep an eye on is PJ Johnson.

Having one who can also provide pressure on quarterbacks by collapsing the pocket is an added bonus. P.J. Johnson can do those things. While not as talked about as guys like Dexter Lawrence, at 6’4″ and 335 pounds, Johnson can do a lot of the same things and likely provides better value. Johnson doesn’t have a lot of film, but the little he does have is impressive.

College stats and honors:

2018: 31 tackles, 22 solo, 8.5 for loss, 3 sacks, 1 pass break up, 2 fumble recoveries, 1 forced fumble.

Career: 64 tackles, 25+ solo, 21.5 for loss, 8.5 sacks, 1 pass break up, 2 fumble recoveries, 3 forced fumbles.

Honors: All-Pac-12 Honorable Mention (2018), Academic Excellence Award (2018).

Strengths:

Johnson is incredibly athletic for his size. He displays good body control and strength at the point of attack. A stout run defender capable of shooting gaps and controlling the line of scrimmage, Johnson can be a valuable addition to any defense. He’s capable of handling double teams, even being triple teamed at times in 2018. He can push the pocket and shows good awareness. Johnson displays a nice swim move and can extend his arms to control blockers well.

Johnson is a versatile defensive lineman. He is able to play nose tackle or defensive end in a 3-4 or defensive tackle in a 4-3. Amazingly, he even lined up as an edge rusher occasionally for the Arizona Wildcats.

Weaknesses:

Johnson only has one year of Division I football under his belt. He previously played for Sacramento State and City College of San Francisco. He’s a bit of risky prospect because of the lack of tape. Johnson suffered some freak medical issues prior to playing at Arizona. At times, Johnson will get too high and negate his strength and body control. When he gets tired, he is less active in his rush and footwork can get sloppy.

Expected Draft round:

Johnson displays many traits teams look for in a good nose tackle that can flex out to a defensive end as well. His athleticism and awareness make him a dangerous player on defense. Though there isn’t a lot of film on him at the Division I level, what is out there is good. He can provide stout run defense as well as push the pocket on passing situations. He won’t go as early as Dexter Lawrence due to lack of name recognition, film and other factors. However, Johnson flashes the same talent that makes people love Lawrence and other athletic nose tackles. Johnson should be drafted sometime in the middle rounds, likely doesn’t make it to the sixth round. He provides excellent value for a team in search of an athletic nose tackle.

Player comparison:

Mike Pennel, Danny Shelton

Geneaut likes this

7 hours ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

Exactly I want TD out of here & not because of the pick at 14 either . 

Dan Quinn and S Pioli saved his *** and TD should be forever grateful to them. 

8 hours ago, FalconBlood said:

Davison was the starting DT for the #2 rush defense last year. 

PFF had Clayborn down as one of the DEs that affected the QB in the pocket the most last season.

If Hageman can lock into his potential a bit, he should be very nice depth.

Senat should take a step. McKinley should take a step. Oluokun should take a step. Oliver should take a step.

Means can build off finally getting some opportunities last season.

Getting the most out of Beasley is Quinns top personal mission this year.

Jones is back. Neal is back. Allen is back. Kazee should continue to thrive.

We still have 2 4ths, 2 5ths, 2 6ths, and a 7th left to add competition and talent.

Color me excited. 

Thank you.

BTW. Lindstrom's HC on him this morning on 929-

Coach Addazio had the following to say about Lindstrom.

• "Chris is a tough, hard-nosed competitor. I coached the Pouncey's at Florida and they were different-level competitors and Chris is the same deal and that's hard to get."
  • "It all starts up front and when you get guys with that mentality, its contagious. When you watch him on tape, if there's nobody there, he goes after somebody. He's playing with an attitude."
  • "He's the most humble, beautiful, wonderful human being. It's hard to believe on the field he's an animal. Combination of character, toughness, and humility."
  • "He can really run in space. He can play all three positions across the front, a natural guard, but hard to find a guy that can play all three."
  • "I believe he has the opportunity. He's talented enough and has the mindset. Not a guy that has a lot of distractions. He's not caught up in anything."
Geneaut and FalconBlood like this

16 hours ago, TRUju2111 said:

If we were going to draft lindstrom, we knew the whole time he would be available at 14 so why sign 2 guards to big money? I would have rather spent it on the D. And we are stuck with both guys for 2 years regardless of how much they ride the pine, and one of them will

My personal take is that if it had all fallen as they hoped, they would've gone for Wilkins at #14 and traded up for McGary as they did. I believe Lindstrom was the fall back plan. TD verified that a trade up into the bottom of the first was planned early on and that no plans were made to trade up from #14. This being the case, they had to have a plan 'B' in mind for #14 but obviously they'd already targeted McGary early and stuck with it.

Posted (edited)

It's amazing how many people tout the old BPA stuff then complain if they take a guy at a position that's not a perceived need. That's what happens if you go BPA. I'm not saying Lindstrom was or wasn't BPA in this instance, obviously most people feel he wasn't but don't say we should go BPA then cry about having too many Guards when we needed something else. This is why true BPA regardless of position really doesn't work well. Just stop with the BPA stuff, you don't really mean it!

Edited by slider
Ergo Proxy likes this

17 hours ago, robertap said:

We've seen what happens when one of your starters goes down.  Matt was running for his life last year.  Having the depth on the OL will truly be a blessing.

I understand the concern about the DL and the lack of depth there.  We still have 7 picks to address that.  There will probably be more trades as well.  There are other possibilities as well.

TD and Quinn aren't finished with this team by a long shot, between this draft and camp casualties and trades this team will be much improved, some folks on here act like the season starts tomorrow

38 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Thank you.

BTW. Lindstrom's HC on him this morning on 929-

Coach Addazio had the following to say about Lindstrom.

• "Chris is a tough, hard-nosed competitor. I coached the Pouncey's at Florida and they were different-level competitors and Chris is the same deal and that's hard to get."
  • "It all starts up front and when you get guys with that mentality, its contagious. When you watch him on tape, if there's nobody there, he goes after somebody. He's playing with an attitude."
  • "He's the most humble, beautiful, wonderful human being. It's hard to believe on the field he's an animal. Combination of character, toughness, and humility."
  • "He can really run in space. He can play all three positions across the front, a natural guard, but hard to find a guy that can play all three."
  • "I believe he has the opportunity. He's talented enough and has the mindset. Not a guy that has a lot of distractions. He's not caught up in anything."

Every scouting report I've seen on both of these guys say the same thing, "He's always looking for work". Meaning that if no defender is challenging them, they help out elsewhere. This is what I saw too little of last year on the O-line especially at the Guard position, don't just stand there once you've determined there's no stunt to pick up or they've stunted away from you, help out the center or tackle. This is a good trait.

Ergo Proxy likes this

13 minutes ago, slider said:

Every scouting report I've seen on both of these guys say the same thing, "He's always looking for work". Meaning that if no defender is challenging them, they help out elsewhere. This is what I saw too little of last year on the O-line especially at the Guard position, don't just stand there once you've determined there's no stunt to pick up or they've stunted away from you, help out the center or tackle. This is a good trait.

Could become a rich man's Harvey Dahl and Tyson Clabo. :tiphat:

slider likes this

6 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Could become a rich man's Harvey Dahl and Tyson Clabo. :tiphat:

We can only hope. I know he's only the TE coach but I wonder how much input Mularkey has with these Oline picks. Looks like his kind of guys.

Ergo Proxy likes this

17 hours ago, Falconcheff said:

Brother, of course we did.  By trading back into the FIRST ROUND, we manipulated the fifth year options for what will be the core of our starting Oline.  While every other team that drafts their Olinemen in the second round and beyond will be trying to figure out how to pay to keep them, we will be exercising our fifth year options with these guys...

Chess, not checkers

Great point. And maybe Kaleb was on the Pats radar at 32

17 hours ago, TRUju2111 said:

If we were going to draft lindstrom, we knew the whole time he would be available at 14 so why sign 2 guards to big money? I would have rather spent it on the D. And we are stuck with both guys for 2 years regardless of how much they ride the pine, and one of them will

We were going after Oliver but after Detroit turned us down for a trade then Buffalo turned us down it switched to getting OL. Had we got Oliver it’s a different story. Not landing him changed everything. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

8 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

9 holding penalties aren’t a metric.  It’s a fact.   You get them because you have slow feet or lunge

And how many of those were bogus? Or because the QB held the ball for ten seconds? Or because the guard blew his assignment and he was trying to block somebody else's man? Or the TE missed his chip block? Or because he slipped on  the baseball portion of a multi-use stadium?

You don't know. You've read a negative draft profile of the guy and assumed that all those penalties are his fault.

Honestly, had you paid any attention to McGary before yesterday?  How many snaps have you watched?

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

We were going after Oliver but after Detroit turned us down for a trade then Buffalo turned us down it switched to getting OL. Had we got Oliver it’s a different story. Not landing him changed everything. 

TD said they were never trading up to the top ten and o-line was the goal in the first round. 

Edited by UniteandConquer