205 posts in this topic

Just now, PriMeTiiMe said:

No one is asking for pro-bowlers across the entire bench. I am asking for players that if they need to fill in for a game or even a few games they can be okay enough to not cripple the team like the bums we had playing last year.

Ok, but my point is that your complaining that we can't fill in those depth spots with late round picks. That means your assuming only picks in the first few rounds can make an impact. If that's the case and we used those first few picks on defense, what would the state of the offensive line look like? There wouldn't be less complaining, it would only be directed towards another part of the team.

FalconBlood likes this

4 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

9 holding penalties aren’t a metric.  It’s a fact.   You get them because you have slow feet or lunge

Or you got them because someone else blew an assignment and you were trying to save the play. There are MANY reasons one would get a holding penalty. 

You have a predisposition to dislike the pick. Perhaps you wanted someone else, etc., That's fine, but he's a top prospect with tons of experience at a position of great need. One could easily say our #1 need this offseason. 

There were no prospects in this draft outside the top 8-10 picks that are demonstrably better than anyone else drafted in the first round. When that's the case, I'll trust the people who are paid to decide which one fits our system best. 

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

2 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

No one is asking for pro-bowlers across the entire bench. I am asking for players that if they need to fill in for a game or even a few games they can be okay enough to not cripple the team like the bums we had playing last year.

Upgrade safety depth. Also the roster isn t close to set.

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, AtlantaFanatic said:

Ok, but my point is that your complaining that we can't fill in those depth spots with late round picks. That means your assuming only picks in the first few rounds can make an impact. If that's the case and we used those first few picks on defense, what would the state of the offensive line look like? There wouldn't be less complaining, it would only be directed towards another part of the team.

We have 49m allotted to our offensive line 2nd to only the Dallas Cowboys. We just spent our 1st,2nd and 3rd on O-Line which raises that even higher. If the plan is to fix the O-line in the draft don't waste all your FA money on it which has literally been my complaint this whole time. Sure we can cut people like Fusco but that still comes with dead money wasted down the drain.

Meanwhile we will likely lose Grady next year. Vic will be gone. Takk may or may not ever stay healthy and be what was expected of him. Were relying on Davison and Senat for NT. A 6th round 2nd year player for WILL. Campbell is likely gone next year. Trufant has not been the same in years. Oliver is an unknown. Kazee at NB is still largely an unknown. Neal and Ricardo are coming back from serious injuries. And our depth is awful across 95% of the defense. But hey, we can use a bunch of late picks on defense and all will be well.

I would be a lot more happier if they focused FA on the defense, Draft on O-Line or vice versa. 

Edited by PriMeTiiMe
FalconsIn2012 likes this

10 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I agree...it’s a 50-50.  Just don’t know why you move up and waste a 3rd to do it.

McGary reminds me of Kolton Miller last year - looks exactly how you want your OT to look but gets beat consistently on film. Right now he's a powerful run blocker and can anchor down against power rushers. However, his feet are awful on film and he cannot mirror speed and quickness. As an OT that's a pretty big deal, especially if he goes in the 1st round and you give up a 3rd

Again I ask is his footwork bad because of the technique he's being asked to play? If he takes conventional steps instead of pencil steps what does that do for him? Also everyone has warts that have to be worked on. There are rare guys like Joe Thomas that come around once a decade but those guys are guaranteed to go top 3. The rest have to be worked on.

thanat0s likes this

Just now, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Upgrade safety depth. Also the roster isn t close to set.

If I have a concern going into camp (besides my deep rooted desire for a giant interior space eater on the D-line), it's the free safety spot. I'm not confident that Allen is going to be ready, or even that he'll come back as his old self. 

I know we signed some vet depth there, but I wouldn't mind finding a prospect later in the draft. Khari Willis from Mich State would be a good one if he lasts that long. 

2 minutes ago, Ransack said:

Again I ask is his footwork bad because of the technique he's being asked to play? If he takes conventional steps instead of pencil steps what does that do for him? Also everyone has warts that have to be worked on. There are rare guys like Joe Thomas that come around once a decade but those guys are guaranteed to go top 3. The rest have to be worked on.

It’s the only technique he has ever known.  So now we have to deconstruct and rebuild?

5 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

It’s the only technique he has ever known.  So now we have to deconstruct and rebuild?

Happens quite a bit where guys are asked to change techniques. Usually every coaching change. It's going to change for all of them this year with the move back to man/power instead of zone/stretch.

We have 49m allotted to our offensive line 2nd to only the Dallas Cowboys. We just spent our 1st,2nd and 3rd on O-Line which raises that even higher. If the plan is to fix the O-line in the draft don't waste all your FA money on it which has literally been my complaint this whole time. Sure we can cut people like Fusco but that still comes with dead money wasted down the drain.

Meanwhile we will likely lose Grady next year. Vic will be gone. Takk may or may not ever stay healthy and be what was expected of him. Were relying on Davison and Senat for NT. A 6th round 2nd year player for WILL. Campbell is likely gone next year. Trufant has not been the same in years. Oliver is an unknown. Kazee at NB is still largely an unknown. Neal and Ricardo are coming back from serious injuries. And our depth is awful across 95% of the defense. But hey, we can use a bunch of late picks on defense and all will be well.

I would be a lot more happier if they focused FA on the defense, Draft on O-Line or vice versa. 

They signed Davison, Clayborn, Hageman, JJ Wilcox, and 2 other safeties. We can have a conversation that you now have 3 new guards and only 2 spots to fill them but that still brings me back to my point where now you have potentially good starters and good depth on the O-line and you can't have good depth everywhere on the field. 

I guess I'd prefer that depth to be at a position that will help us score points and keep MR2 upright and healthy. I'd prefer to be able to grind out the 3rd and 2 plays to keep our offense off the field and keep the defense fresh all game. I guess I'd prefer to make opposing offenses have to play mistake-free football on offense to beat us because MR has time to throw the ball and Freeman has holes to run through all day long.

I also have more confidence in DQ to pick later round picks on defense that work out than pick later round picks on the O-line that work out. He's got history of making later round defensive players contribute but not so much with the O-line.

14 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Or you got them because someone else blew an assignment and you were trying to save the play. There are MANY reasons one would get a holding penalty. 

You have a predisposition to dislike the pick. Perhaps you wanted someone else, etc., That's fine, but he's a top prospect with tons of experience at a position of great need. One could easily say our #1 need this offseason. 

There were no prospects in this draft outside the top 8-10 picks that are demonstrably better than anyone else drafted in the first round. When that's the case, I'll trust the people who are paid to decide which one fits our system best. 

I have no such predisposition.  What I don’t like is doubling down on OL with how FA unfolded. And I certainly don’t like wasting a 3rd on a guy likely to slide inside after bring Ty’s backup next year

Just now, AtlantaFanatic said:

They signed Davison, Clayborn, Hageman, JJ Wilcox, and 2 other safeties.

All bargain bin deals. Those guys all combined are probably the same amount as just Carpenter or just Brown. Not to mention what we re-signed Ty for.

2 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I have no such predisposition.  What I don’t like is doubling down on OL with how FA unfolded. And I certainly don’t like wasting a 3rd on a guy likely to slide inside after bring Ty’s backup next year

But no predisposition...

All bargain bin deals. Those guys all combined are probably the same amount as just Carpenter or just Brown. Not to mention what we re-signed Ty for.

It's clear you're focused on being negative and that's fine. I was simply bringing up some logical reasons why what happened in the draft might be a good thing. You chose negativity, I'll chose to be positive until proven otherwise. Enjoy your day.

22 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

None against him.  What I don’t like is some of his tape.  Watch #58 on the edge vs Auburn

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/video/washington-ol-vs-auburn-2018/vi-BBTu1NZ

Watched about four minutes of it. QB dropped too far back on one play and the wide rush was able to get pressure. McGary got caught reaching badly another time. He squared his shoulders to the sideline a couple of other times which he's been taught to do and the rusher dipped their shoulder on him. Different footwork and keeping his shoulders square tot eh line could fix a few of those issues. We'll see.

The Falcons have never done this (added 4 quality OLinesmen - 2 Vets and 2 Rooks) and yet we find a way to hate it?  This line will be NASTY with Murlarky scheming it up along with the OL coach...just want them to add a BIG BACK!

Drew4719, MSalmon and Geneaut like this

1 hour ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

We.dont need 3 0/1 tech NTs with limited pass rush skills.

We don't need an DT to rush the passer we need a big NT to take double teams, stop the run, collapse the pocket and open lanes for our other pass rushers we already drafted in the 1st rd. Building a defense that can consistently put pressure on the QB is not about just adding guys that by themself rush the passer.

Some of you guys just can't see that and want everyone to rush the passer but that's not how it works. A big DT can compliment and make it much easier for the pass rushers we already have on the roster to actually get to the QB.

7 minutes ago, Theyhateme : ) said:

The Falcons have never done this (added 4 quality OLinesmen - 2 Vets and 2 Rooks) and yet we find a way to hate it?  This line will be NASTY with Murlarky scheming it up along with the OL coach...just want them to add a BIG BACK!

I'm ok with it I just hope in the draft or in free agency we add at least one huge 340 LBS DT

Theyhateme : ) likes this

4 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

I'm ok with it I just hope in the draft or in free agency we add at least one huge 340 LBS DT

I'm curious....did we all just forget about Senat?  I know he's not 340, but we did draft him last year

18 minutes ago, Ransack said:

Watched about four minutes of it. QB dropped too far back on one play and the wide rush was able to get pressure. McGary got caught reaching badly another time. He squared his shoulders to the sideline a couple of other times which he's been taught to do and the rusher dipped their shoulder on him. Different footwork and keeping his shoulders square tot eh line could fix a few of those issues. We'll see.

Exactly. That game was far from doom and gloom. 

15 minutes ago, Theyhateme : ) said:

I agree. We biatch year in and year out about us trotting out garbage OL and this year we actually invest yet everyone is mad? WTH?

Just now, MSalmon said:

I agree. We biatch year in and year out about us trotting out garbage OL and this year we actually invest yet everyone is mad? WTH?

Most have said that we could have gotten them later, but we don't know where the Falcons had them on THEIR draft board.

Great OL'S are made, more than any other unit they need to gel and play as one. You need many pieces to put together a solid one that has some depth also. 42 sacks on #2 second most in his career. Nothing helps a good defense as much as TOP and converting those short yardage downs. 

MSalmon, thanat0s and Drew4719 like this