atljbo

Scouts and Executive Thoughts on our 2 O-Line First round picks

84 posts in this topic

(number 2 ranked Guard)

2. CHRIS LINDSTROM, Boston College (6-3 ½, 307, 4.93, 1-2): Generally started at RG in 2015, ’16 and ’18 but spent most of ’17 at RT. “I think he’s a safe pick,” said one scout. “He’ll probably be a 10-plus year starter at guard. He’s strong enough. He’s a pretty complete football player. You’d want to utilize his movement because he’s got it.” Easily the fastest guard in the class, led the position in the broad jump (9-9) and posted 29 on the Wonderlic. “I think he can compete and start if not Year 2 then definitely by Year 3,” another scout said. “His biggest issue will be the power and the anchor. That’s why he’s not playing for you right away. He’s got to develop from that standpoint. But he’s got some quickness, some burst, some flexibility.” His father, Chris, played DE for four teams from 1983-’87. “He tries hard, he really tries hard,” a third scout said. “But he plays high and he’s a catcher. He gets pushed around. Why are people so excited about Lindstrom? No strength. Plays high.” From Dudley, Mass.

(number 3 ranked Tackle)

3. KALEB McGARY, Washington (6-7, 319, 5.10, 1-2): Fifth-year senior. “He’s Rob Havenstein, the Wisconsin guy,” one scout said. “That’s exactly what he is. Slot him in at right tackle. He’s a second-round pick and plays for eight years. He’s always going to be a one-position guy, but I think he’s really good at that one position. I feel very comfortable what I’m going to get out of him.” Made all 47 of his starts at RT. Vertical jump of 33 ½ inches paced the tackles. “He’s got ability,” said another scout. “I’m scared of the medical. He had a heart thing going on since he’s been in college. He started like the last three years with it so he should be OK. It scares the **** out of me.” McGary underwent three procedures in high school to correct cardiac arrhythmia. His family lost its farm in Washington during the 2012 recession and a fire severely damaged their current home in Fife, Wash., more than a year ago. “He’s like a big (expletive) ogre,” said another scout. “He’s a better athlete than you want to give him credit for.” Wonderlic of 25. “Big, stiff robot guy.” a fourth scout said. “(Max) Scharping moves better and has better balance. I don’t like him.”

Im not even complaining about us taking a tackle and a guard ... I mad a post (before FA) saying i would take a tackle and guard with our first 2 picks.... We didnt pick the 2 guys i wanted but i do think we got 2 tough *** athletic lineman.

So im good on that ... We just got more athletic, young , and cheaper while bringing in 2 glass eaters.

Now where im lost at is the fact that we just signed 2 guards.. thats the one thing im just trying to get past.

Im trusting Coach Quinn with the D... I just dont get if this was the route.... why grab 2 guards in FA that you have 2 keep for atleast 2 years

Thank you!!!!! This is all I'm saying. I don't knock players. I don't do nearly enough research to do that and feel good about it.

What I do knock is logic and you nailed it.

We signed 2 Guards and a T all to 3 year plus contracts. I don't get the purpose of doubling down, especially when we can all agree there are holes across the DL.

8 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Now where im lost at is the fact that we just signed 2 guards.. thats the one thing im just trying to get past.

Im trusting Coach Quinn with the D... I just dont get if this was the route.... why grab 2 guards in FA that you have 2 keep for atleast 2 years

I laid out an explanation thread, but think it wasn't sensational enough a title.

Pretty sure they got guys who they can get out from under quickly, and they've mentioned several times how it takes awhile for OL to transition to the NFL now.

So they gave themselves a year by pulling in FAs and decided to buckle down and long term fix the OL.

Thanks for posting the charts.  I'm not enamored with what they did (wanted DL badly) but they did dedicate themselves to an area and tried to fix it once and for all.

It's neither here nor there, but I HATE that cliche of "will play for 8 years" or "10 plus years." Do these people not realize how rare that is? A dude starting for the same team for an entire rookie contract is outstanding and unusual.

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, atljbo said:

So im good on that ... We just got more athletic, young , and cheaper while bringing in 2 glass eaters.

Tackles need at least a year or two before they can start. Lindstrom may work his way in over the course o the season at the LG position, between Matthews/Mack, then become the starting center after Mack retires. The Falcons had to have a competent starting five to begin the season, odds are the FAs will not pan-out for the long term. We all sort of knew that?

Edited by Cheap Talk
Tim Mazetti likes this

Posted (edited)

My only knock is we didn't need 2 guards if we were drafting 2 OL in the first round vic versa. Like the picks. especially Lindstrom, and I assume Fusco is gone, but we could have saved more money by not adding both Brown & Carpenter.

Edited by Geaux_Falcons
atljbo and Monolith2001 like this

8 minutes ago, jidady said:

It's neither here nor there, but I HATE that cliche of "will play for 8 years" or "10 plus years." Do these people not realize how rare that is? A dude starting for the same team for an entire rookie contract is outstanding and unusual.

Agreed.  I think it's just at this point nearly an idiomatic expression to mean "he'll never be great but he's low risk and will come to work every day."

If these guys can be quality starters for 10 years then they were great picks by definition.

jidady likes this

Just now, takeitdown said:

Agreed.  I think it's just at this point nearly an idiomatic expression at this point to mean "he'll never be great but he's low risk and will come to work every day."

If these guys can be quality starters for 10 years then they were great picks by definition.

Exactly. It's an NFL exec's dream not to have to worry about a position for 10 years. Anyone who fills that slot is an A+ draft pick. Most of these people writing it are really saying, "I'm stifling a yawn even talking about this player." And that's the sign of a poor draft analyst.

kiwifalcon, takeitdown, Xero and 1 other like this

Pass game improves with these guys, however run game doesn't. 

They are not maulers but good character guys with good fundamentals. 

22 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Im not even complaining about us taking a tackle and a guard ... I mad a post (before FA) saying i would take a tackle and guard with our first 2 picks.... We didnt pick the 2 guys i wanted but i do think we got 2 tough *** athletic lineman.

Your last part...

We are about to have $15 mil on the bench at OL bc we overreacted...

Theres a difference between two first rounders for depth and /-4th rounders...

Its a horrible miscalculation on TDs part...

17 minutes ago, jidady said:

i think the point they are trying to say is you have a good long term starter... just scout  speak way of saying it

36 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

I laid out an explanation thread, but think it wasn't sensational enough a title.

Pretty sure they got guys who they can get out from under quickly, and they've mentioned several times how it takes awhile for OL to transition to the NFL now.

So they gave themselves a year by pulling in FAs and decided to buckle down and long term fix the OL.

Thanks for posting the charts.  I'm not enamored with what they did (wanted DL badly) but they did dedicate themselves to an area and tried to fix it once and for all.

Brown and Carpenter arent cuttable until the 2021 offseason. 

Flying Falcon and atljbo like this

2 minutes ago, atljbo said:

to qoute a great philosopher

His eloquence is highly underrated.

Maybe they can put him on the rack and give him an extra inch of arms and whatever else we need.  Hope these OL turn out to be good picks.

atljbo likes this

3 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Brown is likely here for 2 years.  Carpenter could be cut after 1 with a June 1 cut and be 2M dead money for 2 years.

kiwifalcon likes this

2 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

yup... their contracts are atleast 2 year deals

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, atljbo said:

I love Kent Lee Platte and his research!   Go follow @mathbomb on Twitter, Well worth it!

Edited by Since1990
Kung Fu Kenny likes this

3 hours ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

Thank you!!!!! This is all I'm saying. I don't knock players. I don't do nearly enough research to do that and feel good about it.

What I do knock is logic and you nailed it.

We signed 2 Guards and a T all to 3 year plus contracts. I don't get the purpose of doubling down, especially when we can all agree there are holes across the DL

Plan B in case our guys werent there. Upgrading depth, smokescrean, etc...

2 hours ago, Bobby.Digital said:

But Fusco and.sweitzer are. The vets start with Lindstrom on the wings if ome falters. Lindstrom.cross train ot.OG and OC, while McGary cross trains at OTand OG. weve been a.RG away from an.elite offseason since.Chester retired. 

firat OG taken in.rnd .1 since Bill Fralic. Lets hope he has a similar career.

JDaveG likes this