ChickenBiscuit

Now that we've gone through the grieving process.

35 posts in this topic

I think all of us had high hopes for Ed Oliver, then we hoped it would be Wilkins.

And a guard was extremely disappointing. But looking back on it, it actually makes a lot of sense. We had one of the worst rushing offenses in the league despite having a very dynamic set of RBs. Ryan was hit way too many times and generally didn't have enough time in the pocket for plays to develop.

Our biggest weakness in 2012 was our horrid rushing offense, and it's a huge reason for why we blew that massive lead to the 49ers in the NFCCG. Our guards sucked last year, and the FAs that we brought in to replace them also sucked.

I understand we all envy Philly/Jax/Minn for having dominant DLs and we've always wanted one, but I've almost come to the regrettable conclusion that it may never happen under TD: and that's OKAY. The Patriots may not have elite pass rushes year in and year out, but what they DO have whenever they go to the super bowl, is solid protection for Tom Brady. Let's face it, Matty Ice is a stone in the pocket. And his best years have also been the years he's had the best protection (big surprise).

So this pick makes sense. I've mourned already at what could've been with Oliver. But I get it. Like even if it was considered a reach -- if the guy turns out to be decent, then it panned off. You can never go wrong investing in the trenches. Even if it's not the glamour positions like DE/DT/OT. HOPEFULLY (the key word), we got our guy.

The last two Superbowl the Pats won were in large part due to a great pass rush. They harrassed Ryan especially on 3rd down and Goff all game. 

Against the Eagles they struggled to generate any pass rush and we saw the outcome. 

Having a good oline is great and it should be a goal. But not inspite of a good pass rush. 

If Beasley doesn't step up this year we're screwed.

Chitown2ATL_Falcon likes this

I'm one of the few that is happy. This was needed badly. Getting big nasty offensive lineman will transform this offense. Will be able to run the ball better........especially on 3rd and 1...4th and 1......while still having good pass protection. Win all the way here. Eat clock at the end of games.....run the ball down a defenses throat......love it. Rest the Defense, All pluses. 

Posted (edited)

THE PATRIOTS HAVE A HEAD COACH THAT CAN GET NO NAME PLAYERS ON DEFENSE TO PLAY WAY PAST THERE DRAFT OR UNDRAFTED GRADE! 

All of belichek teams have monsters in the middle on defense size wise and play smart. There is only one Belichick and Tom Brady! 

We were losing games that we scored 25+ on but yet we go cheap on defense FA seems like every year Quinn has gotten here. 

Edited by GleasonForever!
ChickenBiscuit and ZoneOne01 like this

8 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I'm not grieving over fixing the OL and possibly shedding a ton of cap space in the process. The amount of money we have tied up in the OL is tremendous. This should help alleviate it.

How?  Whose large contract drops off?

guess it’s 2 rookies starting on the OL 

5 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

The last two Superbowl the Pats won were in large part due to a great pass rush. They harrassed Ryan especially on 3rd down and Goff all game. 

Against the Eagles they struggled to generate any pass rush and we saw the outcome. 

Having a good oline is great and it should be a goal. But not inspite of a good pass rush. 

If Beasley doesn't step up this year we're screwed.

In fairness though, was the Patriots pass rush that good all year? Because they had a pretty mediocre overall defense that year, despite being #1 in points allowed IIRC.

Not only that, but our "mediocre" pass rush completely went off against Tom Brady. ****, Grady had 3 sacks. It still didn't win us the game.

Just now, Falconsin2012 said:

Fusco gets cut IMO

Schwitzer is probably gone too.............. that is 6 million right there

kiwifalcon, JDaveG and UK13 like this

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

We freed up money by cutting Schraeder and replacing him in the draft. I believe that's what he's referring to. 

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

In fairness though, was the Patriots pass rush that good all year? Because they had a pretty mediocre overall defense that year, despite being #1 in points allowed IIRC.

Not only that, but our "mediocre" pass rush completely went off against Tom Brady. ****, Grady had 3 sacks. It still didn't win us the game.

Not all year but Bill had them peaking in the playoffs and dominated the line in the Superbowl. 

Our mediocre pass rush did well for one half. Because of our lack of pass rush we got abused in the 2nd half and ultimately played a huge role in us losing. 

With the leauge throwing more and more you need to have a good pass rush to win. 

Edited by Bobby.Digital

Just now, Falconsin2012 said:

Sounds like a terrible idea

depends on how Lindstrom does.

Not to mention  while he was still good last year.. Mack's play slipped  some..

UK13 likes this

2 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Fusco gets cut IMO

Schwitzer is probably gone too.............. that is 6 million right there

Yep and those deals for Sambrailo Brown and Carpenter are easy outs after a couple of years.Potentially you have a replacement for Mack.

I am perplexed about the McGarry pick though I don’t think we needed to trade up for him.

Chitown2ATL_Falcon and putnam6 like this

1 minute ago, Bobby.Digital said:

Not all year but Bill had them peaking in the playoffs and dominated the line in the Superbowl. 

Our mediocre pass rush did well for one half. Because of our lack of pass rush we got abused in the 2nd half and ultimately played a huge role in us losing. 

I agree that our lackluster pass rush contributed to blowing the lead, but I'd say that us not running the ball was an even bigger issue. We could've just ran the clock out with that huge lead we had.

NeonDeion likes this

6 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Kind of depends on where Lindstrom ultimately ends up playing.

falconsd56 likes this

I think we got an all-pro guard and another solid piece for the OL, and both picks will pay solid dividends for several years.... 

I just think we could have gotten the same guys or the same level of contribution at #20 and #45.

We got a great car... but we overpaid for it.

Just now, kiwifalcon said:

Yep and those deals for Sambrailo Brown and Carpenter are easy outs after a couple of years.Potentially you have a replacement for Mack.

I am perplexed about the McGarry pick though I don’t think we needed to trade up for him.

Well  it does make sense.

IF he pans out..... we get him for 5 years vs 4.

It is a gamble but we essentially gave up a third for potentially another year of  a cheap lineman

NeonDeion and kiwifalcon like this

17 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

I'm not grieving over fixing the OL and possibly shedding a ton of cap space in the process. The amount of money we have tied up in the OL is tremendous. This should help alleviate it.

You should go back and take another look at the contract they gave Brown

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

I agree that our lackluster pass rush contributed to blowing the lead, but I'd say that us not running the ball was an even bigger issue. We could've just ran the clock out with that huge lead we had.

Definently true. Our banged up oline did hurt. 

Still my point is with an average pass rush it's really hard to win in this leauge. 

I don't understand how Quinn can be cool with what we have. Oline was a big need. I think we went overboard. 

Edited by Bobby.Digital