Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
quickzero

We drafted two beasts.

82 posts in this topic

After some research and time to think, I believe this is developing into what may be one of the most underrated and successful off-seasons I have witnessed as a Falcon fan. I also believe many of us in here are severely underrating the DL acquisitions of Clayborn, Shede and Davison, as well as the influence DQ will have on them and the entire defense as DC this season. Davison is a proven commodity against the run. New Orleans badly wanted to retain this cat. He's a blue-collar dawg in the pile, and he's an effective clog in the middle. Shede has been out of the game for two seasons, but obviously DQ sees something in him... a fire to return. Keep in mind he was vastly improving toward the end of the superbowl run, and seemingly getting his mind right. And AC is AC. That guy will bring much needed veteran leadership and edge tenacity, and he's also solid against the run and pursues well. 

OL was a desperate need. It was a turnstile last year. Matt was running for his life, and our run game was greatly inhibited. It's apparent that the Falcons were going to be sure to hit and hit big in solving this dilemma. Lindstrom and McGary are violent, road-grading, athletic animals. They both play angry, urgent and violent, and get to the next level effectively in the run game. I can't see a flaw in the team's off-season philosophy right now. In fact, I'm extremely impressed at how this has all transpired. 

1 minute ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

After some research and time to think, I believe this is developing into what may be one of the most underrated and successful off-seasons I have witnessed as a Falcon fan. I also believe many of us in here are severely underrating the DL acquisitions of Clayborn, Shede and Davison, as well as the influence DQ will have on them and the entire defense as DC this season. Davison is a proven commodity against the run. New Orleans badly wanted to retain this cat. He's a blue-collar dawg in the pile, and he's an effective clog in the middle. Shede has been out of the game for two seasons, but obviously DQ sees something in him... a fire to return. Keep in mind he was vastly improving toward the end of the superbowl run, and seemingly getting his mind right. And AC is AC. That guy will bring much needed veteran leadership and edge tenacity, and he's also solid against the run and pursues well. 

OL was a desperate need. It was a turnstile last year. Matt was running for his life, and our run game was greatly inhibited. It's apparent that the Falcons were going to be sure to hit and hit big in solving this dilemma. Lindstrom and McGary are violent, road-grading, athletic animals. They both play angry, urgent and violent, and get to the next level effectively in the run game. I can't see a flaw in the team's off-season philosophy right now. In fact, I'm extremely impressed at how this has all transpired. 

Can't like this enough...

SoCalFalconFan likes this

4 minutes ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

Where to begin..

Davison is only good for the run defense, Hags is useless until proven otherwise, and Clayborn got 2 sacks last year.

Also Lindstrom isn't violent or nasty. He's a technician. He's strong in pass blocking but weak in run blocking. 

2 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Where to begin..

Davison is only good for the run defense, Hags is useless until proven otherwise, and Clayborn got 2 sacks last year.

Also Lindstrom isn't violent or nasty. He's a technician. He's strong in pass blocking but weak in run blocking. 

I appreciate your opinions but I disagree with you across the board, here. Ultimately, we will have to wait and see, but you're especially wrong on Lindstrom. Davison was a three down DT for New Orleans, who wanted to re-sign him. Hags is a risk, but I trust DQ. Clayborn was a poor fit and was misused in NE. 

Falconcheff likes this

1 minute ago, Yo_Lover said:

Where to begin..

I guess we shall see...I'll be curious to find out if you'd rather be right and we're losers, or wrong and be winners...

Curious...

Just now, SoCalFalconFan said:

I appreciate your opinions but I disagree with you across the board, here. Ultimately, we will have to wait and see, and you especially have it wrong on Lindstrom. But Davison was a three down DT for New Orleans, who wanted to re-sign him. Hags is a risk, but I trust DQ. Clayborn was a poor fit and was misused in NE. 

Go watch Lindstrom against Clemson and tell me his violent while Wilkins is pushing him back in the run game and getting TFL's.

Also Davison played 40% of the snaps for NO, hardly a 3 down guy.

1 minute ago, Falconcheff said:

I guess we shall see...I'll be curious to find out if you'd rather be right and we're losers, or wrong and be winners...

Curious...

If this defense blows up and goes top 10 I'll be ecstatic but I'm seeing a 20 at best group. More than likely lower.

3 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Go watch Lindstrom against Clemson and tell me his violent while Wilkins is pushing him back in the run game and getting TFL's.

Also Davison played 40% of the snaps for NO, hardly a 3 down guy.

Every player has a game here and there where he gets his butt handed to him. Watch the tape in the Wake Forest and Clemson games. 

Most teams run a platoon of DL in the game. 40% of the snaps in no way indicated he WASN'T a three down guy. I see it different, brother. But that's cool. 

quickzero likes this

1 minute ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

Every player has a game here and there where he gets his butt handed to him. Watch the tape in the Wake Forest and Clemson games. 

Most teams run a platoon of DL in the game. 40% of the snaps in no way indicated he WASN'T a three down guy. I see it different, brother. But that's cool. 

He still gets pushed back in the run game. I will admit he's a good pass blocker though and handles stunts well. But again he's not nasty nor violent.

And Grady is 3 down 65% of snaps.

He still gets pushed back in the run game. I will admit he's a good pass blocker though and handles stunts well. But again he's not nasty nor violent.

And Grady is 3 down 65% of snaps.

C'mon, dude... Grady is on a different level than Davison. Doesn't mean Davison isn't a capable player. We could argue this until the cows come home, but 40% of the snaps doesn't mean Davison didn't play both run and pass, which essentially is how a 3 down player is defined. Right?

I just finished watching several highlight reels of Lindstrom and I'm not seeing him be pushed back so much that it catches my eye. 

3 minutes ago, SoCalFalconFan said:

C'mon, dude... Grady is on a different level than Davison. Doesn't mean Davison isn't a capable player. We could argue this until the cows come home, but 40% of the snaps doesn't mean Davison didn't play both run and pass, which essentially is how a 3 down player is defined. Right?

I just finished watching several highlight reels of Lindstrom and I'm not seeing him be pushed back so much that it catches my eye. 

A 3 down player is someone you'd want out on all three downs. If we have him in a pass rushing situation then we're basically only rushing 3.

Also stop watching just highlights, it's only gonna show the good

Knight of God likes this

A 3 down player is someone you'd want out on all three downs. If we have him in a pass rushing situation then we're basically only rushing 3.

I understand that. But even Grady, who you, yourself called a 3 down guy (obviously) and he only got 65%. Not 100%. I'm simply saying it doesn't shake out so cleanly that you can call Davison a two down guy. There were plenty of defensive rotations where he played all three downs. Just not consistently throughout the whole game. Not many players do, and the best players play more often. That's a given. Anyway, I don't need to keep debating it. I'm fine seeing it differently. 

Just now, SoCalFalconFan said:

I understand that. But even Grady, who you, yourself called a 3 down guy (obviously) and he only got 65%. Not 100%. I'm simply saying it doesn't shake out so cleanly that you can call Davison a two down guy. There were plenty of defensive rotations where he played all three downs. Just not consistently throughout the whole game. Not many players do, and the best players play more often. That's a given. Anyway, I don't need to keep debating it. I'm fine seeing it differently. 

Grady is a guy I'm cool with having in passing and running situations.

Davison is not. Davison only played in passing situations when teams caught his fat *** in hurry up.

Knight of God likes this

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

Grady is a guy I'm cool with having in passing and running situations.

Davison is not. Davison only played in passing situations when teams caught his fat *** in hurry up.

:lol: Okay, okay. 

2 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

It's not about the picks for me. It's the allocation of resources. 14 is not where you pick Lindstrom. And trading up and losing our 3rd is not how you get a guy like McGary when Ford, Little, Risner and Taylor are on the board. One would fall to our 2nd easily. Likely McGary.

We still have the 2nd?

40 minutes ago, Return of the Gaucho said:

I’m honestly just thrilled I can come on this board after the draft and read so many professional scouts debate the pros and cons our picks...

That's what we are here for.

7 hours ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

It's more of a test of endurance. Any in shape adult should be able to bench press their body weight. These dudes are over 300. This isn't a strength test for them.

Exactly. 

7 hours ago, stizz said:

It isn't stupid af. Bench press is universally used for upper body strength. If I see a big 300 plus dude not be able to rep much on the bench press that's a problem. Now take into account dude is going to get paid millions to move other men around at will.

Bottom line is your opinion on Ford and Taylor is wrong because all the other GMs passed on them in the first as well. Don't pin it on the Falcons.

Bench isn’t a functional movement nor do high reps indicate strength when you’re only lifting 225. It’s a pure endurance test. Nothing more. 

7 hours ago, Falcanuck said:

Not saying better value, I'm saying that the Falcons could've picked one of them at their 2nd pick instead of losing their 3rd.

but if those guys don't fit what you're doing and the guy that you wanted that fits is grabbed by someone else it's not better value, it's of NO value

33 minutes ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

but if those guys don't fit what you're doing and the guy that you wanted that fits is grabbed by someone else it's not better value, it's of NO value

Okay, again, I'll reiterate, this is what I think. And I think Risner, Ford and Taylor do fit what the Falcons want to do. As does McGary, but I just don't think he's worth a 2nd and 3rd.