Sun Tzu 7

With a Guard and Tackle one thing is clear... FA

41 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, robertap said:

Why do people keep saying this?  We have 3 first round draft picks at DE. 
We have Jarret who many folks think is a top DT in this league, and Senat, who has flashed some impressive skills, and who will probably further develop with a year under his belt. 
Our starting linebackers are good/great.  (Jones is fantastic) 
We have a starting safety problem, in that we have three capable starters, one of which was outstanding as a rookie. 
If we have a major issue, it's at CB.  But what team doesn't have holes?  We also have depth problems at DT and LB.  We can address those depth issues with the remaining 7 draft picks.

You have to remember that we started last season with several of our veteran leaders/playmakers getting knocked out for extended time.  Drafting replacements for those guys wouldn't have made any sense.

We're also going to get a more hands-on Quinn coaching the defense.  I expect that alone to ensure improvement across the board.

The team put emphasis on solving the OL problem that we've had for the past two years.  We haven't been able to run the ball consistently, and we haven't been able to protect our franchise QB.

Frankly, the problem has existed a lot longer than that, as we have never been confident enough in our line to run the ball in short yardage situations or with the game on the line.  If what they have done does not resolve that issue, then they absolutely deserve to be fired.

Most wanted a DT. When we signed monster DT Hageman, after signed run stuffer Davison,  I stated it appeared we either were going to draft DT Simmons and wait for him to get back next year, or, we were going to grab a couple of OL and a CB with our top 3 picks. 

Well, we drafted a couple of OL with our top 3 picks!

DT is more than set, its strong. 

robertap likes this

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

At worst a 1 year problem. Good news is Fusco and Wes will be gone potentially.

Oh and it could wind up being a move to cut down on Mack’s cost anyway. After 2019 first wave to go by is Wes/Fusco/possibly Ty if Kaleb is ready by 2020.

The outs are after 2 years on open FA market. Not bad.

Its a dedication to fixing the OL.

But we don’t want to pay the cost? Optimal perceived value?

Worst case they’ll be expensive backups for 2020. Best case is Lindstrom takes over for Mack and they remain our starters.

I just want the best 2019 OL right now. Why worry about 2020?

DQ gonna get the D on the right trajectory, finally.

Last year showed what a lack of depth can do to a team.

OL was one of the hardest hit...Actually THE hardest hit of our individual units. It showed.

We weren’t getting the best DL talent once 14 came along and made a choice to fix the OL.

Lets go.

Worst case is $15 mil on the bench in 2019 and 2020 instead of Justin Houston???

Whats the best case...I still don’t see a stud defender coming in?

Its a really poor use of capital and I think too many eggs are in the DQ at DC will fix the D basket

Its classic feeble minded overreactions...

Edited by Matt_The Iceman_Ryan

18 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Or they just drafted Sam Baker 2.0...

depends on the version of Baker that we get.

If we get the mostly healthy  08,10,12 version of Baker...... Then that  is a home run,, if we get the 09 and 11 version of him.... then that is a strike out.

Sun Tzu 7 likes this

Just now, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

That’s what my post is referencing to the guy that said easy outs....

Either someone is playing out of position or we have a high draft pick or $6mil riding the bench...

To the folks saying...we can just cut Fusco and Wes...you are correct, but that still doesn’t change the dilemma above and if we’d done that 2 months ago and not signed two OGs...

We’d had about $12mil for a defensive FA...

Doesn't make a lot of sense does it?

I don't have a problem double dippping on the oline... it's just that when they do it after spending quite a bit of money on the same spots in FA....

I thought the problem has been defense but the Falcons keep saying the offense needs to be fixed with the way they draft.

3 minutes ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

That’s what my post is referencing to the guy that said easy outs....

Either someone is playing out of position or we have a high draft pick or $6mil riding the bench...

To the folks saying...we can just cut Fusco and Wes...you are correct, but that still doesn’t change the dilemma above and if we’d done that 2 months ago and not signed two OGs...

We’d had about $12mil for a defensive FA...

Remember what happened last yer with the Oline? Lost both starting guards and the RT regressed severely. This year, they have the depth to handle that.

Ergo Proxy likes this

9 minutes ago, robertap said:

Why do people keep saying this?  We have 3 first round draft picks at DE. 
We have Jarret who many folks think is a top DT in this league, and Senat, who has flashed some impressive skills, and who will probably further develop with a year under his belt. 
Our starting linebackers are good/great.  (Jones is fantastic) 
We have a starting safety problem, in that we have three capable starters, one of which was outstanding as a rookie. 
If we have a major issue, it's at CB.  But what team doesn't have holes?  We also have depth problems at DT and LB.  We can address those depth issues with the remaining 7 draft picks.

You have to remember that we started last season with several of our veteran leaders/playmakers getting knocked out for extended time.  Drafting replacements for those guys wouldn't have made any sense.

We're also going to get a more hands-on Quinn coaching the defense.  I expect that alone to ensure improvement across the board.

The team put emphasis on solving the OL problem that we've had for the past two years.  We haven't been able to run the ball consistently, and we haven't been able to protect our franchise QB.

Frankly, the problem has existed a lot longer than that, as we have never been confident enough in our line to run the ball in short yardage situations or with the game on the line.  If what they have done does not resolve that issue, then they absolutely deserve to be fired.

Jarrett is a stud, no doubt. The rest, meh! Vic is a bust that clearly isn't motivated to give his all (tunnel). Who knows what we will get with Takk. He's shown potential, but then disappeared for numerous games. Not to mention his mental breakdown this off season. The rest of the guys, nothing special. Our DL has been mostly trash for many years. I don't see anyone in the current roster that is going to change that. Hope I'm wrong. 

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Doesn't make a lot of sense does it?

I don't have a problem double dippping on the oline... it's just that when they do it after spending quite a bit of money on the same spots in FA....

I thought the problem has been defense but the Falcons keep saying the offense needs to be fixed with the way they draft.

Exactly...I like the picks...I love the picks if we didn’t spend so much on Carp, Brown, Ty and have $7mil tied up in Wes and Fusco

We literally have $18 mil in 4 backup players on the OL for 2019...and that’s not even counting the dead cap $ from Schraeder...

And just think, our offense was Top 10 last year and supposedly getting a new OC would make it even better...

Now we’ve added so much more on OFF than defense...

The value prop is terrible...we put 80% of our eggs in the offense bucket to move it from a 90 to a 95...

and let the rest on defense move it from a 70 to a 75?

IDK...I’ve got a bad feeling...

How good is this offense if Julio goes down?

Matt can still have a fluke play and be out for games...now what?

We are literal dog $&@! On defense...

Too many eggs in the DQ to DC will did the D basket...I just don’t see it...

7 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Remember what happened last yer with the Oline? Lost both starting guards and the RT regressed severely. This year, they have the depth to handle that.

It’s an overreaction and an excessive amount of depth at the expense of the defense...

How good is this team if Matt Ryan goes down for 4-6 games? What’s the offense look like without Julio?

We are NOT maintaining balance in our roster building...

2 minutes ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Exactly...I like the picks...I love the picks if we didn’t spend so much on Carp, Brown, Ty and have $7mil tied up in Wes and Fusco

We literally have $18 mil in 4 backup players on the OL for 2019...and that’s not even counting the dead cap $ from Schraeder...

That's spending 9.5% of your cap space on 7.6% of your roster, on guys who might actually have to start this year, and can probably be cut next year. Rookies are no lock to start. You have to have stopgaps to compete and fill in, so that's not an unreasonable amount of cap % to devote to an area that has been a major issue for this team the last two years.

That's if these guys are even guaranteed that much or count that much against the books, but I think people get sticker shock because they don't realize that the cap is $188 million. Even veteran depth costs money, but you save a lot with cheap rookie deals and league minimums.

Don't fixate on money. $5 million isn't much if it's a position where you need help, and that's an area where Dmitroff is very good at spreading money.

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, B3TD said:

That's spending 9.5% of your cap space on 7.6% of your roster, on guys who might actually have to start this year, and can probably be cut next year. Rookies are no lock to start. You have to have stopgaps to compete and fill in, so that's not an unreasonable amount of cap % to devote to an area that has been a major issue for this team the last two years.

That's if these guys are even guaranteed that much or count that much against the books, but I think people get sticker shock because they don't realize that the cap is $188 million. Even veteran depth costs money, but you save a lot with cheap rookie deals and league minimums.

Don't fixate on money. $5 million isn't much if it's a position where you need help, and that's an area where Dmitroff is very good at spreading money.

It is when that $18 mil gets me Justin Houston and a vet CB...

I like the picks...I just hate the use of capital...It’s excessive in my book. Id rather have another OL in 5th round and have the $12 mil for Justin Houston...

In my book, with our OL from last year...how many times at the end of games did we lose bc of our offense vs defense?

PHI, CIN, NO, DAL...I’d also say in our other losses, the defense gave up 41, 34, 28, 26, 31....

jidady likes this

1 minute ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

I like the picks...I just hate the use of capital...It’s excessive in my book. Id rather have another OL in 5th round and have the $12 mil for Justin Houston...

I agree with your logic here, but I also understand how it happened. The problem with the NFL calendar is that we must make decisions about free agency before the draft. Had we known that the first round would play out this way, we would have approached free agency differently. We couldn't just ignore free agency and hope for the best during the draft, though. That's how teams make their worst mistakes. 

On the plus side, this team could legitimately survive three season-ending injuries on the offensive line. And we all know that's something that we could NOT do last year.

Just now, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Wasn't my plan either, but I think Arthur was serious when he said he wanted this to be an emphasis, because our MVP QB hasn't looked anywhere near that since he's been running for his life again.

It is taking a massive gamble on the defensive talent, and Quinn's ability to develop what's going to end up being a lot of late draft picks and low end free agents to fill in the gaps, and unfortunately Beasley to not be useless. 

I think even reasonable Falcons fans are a bit nervous about that.

BS, Matt had a season last year that rivaled his MVP season. Now think what he can do with an actual line that can protect.

a guest analyst on 92.9 said it best the other day, this offensive line draft was the best it has been in years, and future drafts don’t look like they will be near as good. This was the year to go offensive line, it was the deepest and best position this year. The Falcons decided to strike while the iron was hot, because there is no guarantee they would find what they needed in following years and o line play is drastically down across the board in the NFL.