Sun Tzu 7

With a Guard and Tackle one thing is clear... FA

41 posts in this topic

FA OGs are easy cuts when needed.

Draft picks along the OL can still develop quite a bit at the NFL level and yet fight for a spot.

OL will be fixed: #ThePoint

Good news is Lindstrom played inside/outside zone in college. McGary many thought would be a good pick in round 2 for us to compete with Ty.

We got interior OL future in Lindstrom and RT future in McGary.

Again, everyone OL contract this offseason has outs. It's about fixing the OL.

10 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

The Falcons spent a lot of money in FA on the oline and just double dipped.

Either these first two rounders going to ride the bench?  

Nope, then the Falcons are going to have expensive backups.

We don't really care as long as the guys that we do have keep our QB upright.

I wouldn't have taken either of the guys that we did based on who else was on the board, but I have zero problem with the thought process here. At least theoretically, we just covered 40% of our offensive line for the next few years with first round talents. 

IamFRESCO1 likes this

Or maybe we have players who can start if the rookies aren't ready yet, and then the kids can start later on in the season or next year, and then we can cut the lesser talented free agents to not have the most expensive OL (certainly worst value for the cost) in the NFL

Drew4719, No.11, me4falcons and 4 others like this

14 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Draft picks along the OL can still develop quite a bit at the NFL level and yet fight for a spot.

Good news is Lindstrom played inside/outside zone in college. McGary many thought would be a good pick in round 2 for us to compete with Ty.

Or they just drafted Sam Baker 2.0...

2 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Guess we’ll find out.

Arms aren’t the longest but he is clearly bigger than Sam and a RT not trying to protect Matt’s blindside.

Good thing we got that RT we wanted to secure a future over Ty.

Oh, and “FIX THE OL!!!”

Lets go :) 

Geneaut likes this

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Explain to me the outs of the Carpenter and Brown contracts? They look locked in until 2021...so tell me who rides the bench? A 14th overall pick or a $6mil bench warmer?

Edited by Matt_The Iceman_Ryan

7 minutes ago, hjerry said:

Or maybe we have players who can start if the rookies aren't ready yet, and then the kids can start later on in the season or next year, and then we can cut the lesser talented free agents to not have the most expensive OL (certainly worst value for the cost) in the NFL

#Logic #TheCostOfOL #GETOLFIXED

2 minutes ago, WiscoFalcon said:

We have nothing tomorrow to help the defense. That’s terrifying. 

For a defensive coach that is supposed to be a dline guru.... the cupboard is frighteningly bare.... which is odd.

I thought Quinn would invest more considering his job is on the line...

1 minute ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

Explain to me the outs of the Carpenter and Brown contracts? They look locked in until 2021...so tell me who rides the bench? A 14th overall pick or a $6mil bench warmer?

Brown - 12.5 million in dead cap this season & 8 million next 

Carpenter - 7 million dead cap this season & 4 million next

Brown isn't going anywhere....

Ergo Proxy likes this

23 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

OL might be fixed but the price was too high.  I don't expect a Super Bowl for 10 years after this draft, I'm sorry to say.

5 minutes ago, WiscoFalcon said:

We have nothing tomorrow to help the defense. That’s terrifying. 

Why would you give up our 3rd rounder...lord why does this team try to raise my blood pressure 

5-6 million is only about 2-3% of the cap, and thanks to the rookie wage scale (and Mack being off the books in a year or two), we have a freaking stacked line, depth and mentors across the entire line to compete and bring the young guys along, while only really committed with big money to Matthews (and his contract is gonna look cheaper every year, btw).

It wasn't what I had in mind, but this is the plan they're going with, I'm excited about O-line actually being a strength, and give Ryan his best line since his MVP Superbowl year, if not better.

This is what many of us have wanted for a long time, we just have to hope that Quinn can handle the defense with what he has and a lot of late round picks.

Ergo Proxy likes this

1 minute ago, Matt_The Iceman_Ryan said:

At worst a 1 year problem. Good news is Fusco and Wes will be gone potentially.

Oh and it could wind up being a move to cut down on Mack’s cost anyway. After 2019 first wave to go by is Wes/Fusco/possibly Ty if Kaleb is ready by 2020.

The outs are after 2 years on open FA market. Not bad.

Its a dedication to fixing the OL.

But we don’t want to pay the cost? Optimal perceived value?

Worst case they’ll be expensive backups for 2020. Best case is Lindstrom takes over for Mack and they remain our starters.

I just want the best 2019 OL right now. Why worry about 2020?

DQ gonna get the D on the right trajectory, finally.

Last year showed what a lack of depth can do to a team.

OL was one of the hardest hit...Actually THE hardest hit of our individual units. It showed.

We weren’t getting the best DL talent once 14 came along and made a choice to fix the OL.

Lets go.

Rhodaric and gazoo like this

14 minutes ago, sdogg said:

Sad thing is, the DL is going to suck again....as always. 

Why do people keep saying this?  We have 3 first round draft picks at DE. 
We have Jarret who many folks think is a top DT in this league, and Senat, who has flashed some impressive skills, and who will probably further develop with a year under his belt. 
Our starting linebackers are good/great.  (Jones is fantastic) 
We have a starting safety problem, in that we have three capable starters, one of which was outstanding as a rookie. 
If we have a major issue, it's at CB.  But what team doesn't have holes?  We also have depth problems at DT and LB.  We can address those depth issues with the remaining 7 draft picks.

You have to remember that we started last season with several of our veteran leaders/playmakers getting knocked out for extended time.  Drafting replacements for those guys wouldn't have made any sense.

We're also going to get a more hands-on Quinn coaching the defense.  I expect that alone to ensure improvement across the board.

The team put emphasis on solving the OL problem that we've had for the past two years.  We haven't been able to run the ball consistently, and we haven't been able to protect our franchise QB.

Frankly, the problem has existed a lot longer than that, as we have never been confident enough in our line to run the ball in short yardage situations or with the game on the line.  If what they have done does not resolve that issue, then they absolutely deserve to be fired.

Ergo Proxy, Rhodaric and Geneaut like this

13 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Patriots flew McGary up for a private workout and interview. They must have seen something they liked.

We jumped one spot above them and snagged him.

Rhodaric and Ergo Proxy like this

2 minutes ago, Chitown2ATL_Falcon said:

OL might be fixed but the price was too high.  I don't expect a Super Bowl for 10 years after this draft, I'm sorry to say.

When our strength as a team is skill positions and Offensive side in particular but had a glaring NEED along the OL and we get the OL fixed?

East playoff contention already.

Got 4 key additions to the defense as it is:

Neal, Allen, Davison, AC

Oliver year 2 and VB in a contract year. Kazee still here. Foye year 2. DeBo back for a full season.

Oh and DQ the coach finally of the D.

Just now, JD dirtybird21 said:

Jesus. How about letting the guy play a game or 2 before determining that he’s Sam Baker. You’re better than this. Don’t be apart of the cynical crybaby bunch 

Just now, gazoo said:

Patriots flew McGary up for a private workout and interview. They must have seen something they liked.

We jumped one spot above them and snagged him.

X2

Fire Sark But dont fix what handicapped him the most??

gazoo, Diggable Birds and Rhodaric like this

3 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Brown - 12.5 million in dead cap this season & 8 million next 

Carpenter - 7 million dead cap this season & 4 million next

Brown isn't going anywhere....

That’s what my post is referencing to the guy that said easy outs....

Either someone is playing out of position or we have a high draft pick or $6mil riding the bench...

To the folks saying...we can just cut Fusco and Wes...you are correct, but that still doesn’t change the dilemma above and if we’d done that 2 months ago and not signed two OGs...

We’d had about $12mil for a defensive FA...