Falcons In 2012

TD Says DT, CB & LB are Priority

143 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I was stunned they gave him 5 mill.  But he will be the starter next year

5 mil guaranteed for a RT is nothing.  Certainly not starter money. He's depth / insurance this year and 2 mil in dead money when they cut him next year.

4 minutes ago, MSalmon said:

Cody Ford has a stance issue, Taylor is slower than molasses. Everyone has warts

It’s the holding that’s concerning.  And the fact most agree he is an OG in the NFL.  Even Smitty was talking about it a few minutes ago.  Risner was a better pick IMO

2 minutes ago, Peyton said:

5 mil guaranteed for a RT is nothing.  Certainly not starter money. He's depth / insurance this year and 2 mil in dead money when they cut him next year.

If he is the swing tackle it’s criminal over paying

Flying Falcon likes this

33 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

Really? Not by stopping the opponent? Like we did in the SB at the goal line. Wait......errrr..........that didn't happen.

The entire middle of our D was injured last year both safeties and Jones. Plus we got DT's in free agency. We won't be great on D but we just have to be ok. Should've let Beasley walk tho

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

If he is the swing tackle it’s criminal over paying

Isn't a large portion of that money tied to him starting? So if he doesn't start and is a backup swing tackle the total $ drops a couple of million. Or am I misremembering? Basically we pay 5M for a starter or ~2 for a backup all on the same contract?

3 minutes ago, atlanta_dude said:

Isn't a large portion of that money tied to him starting? So if he doesn't start and is a backup swing tackle the total $ drops a couple of million. Or am I misremembering? Basically we pay 5M for a starter or ~2 for a backup all on the same contract?

Not this year.  I think he can earn like 1.2 mill more per year by starting

6 minutes ago, atlanta_dude said:

I think the drafting of McGary pretty much guarantees Sambraillo is a one year deal.  His salary jumps from 2 mil this year to 4.5 mil next year.  So he'll either be gone or be asked to take a big salary cut next year.  I guess the exception to that would be if McGary were to get hurt or something and Sambraillo establishes himself as an actual reliable player.  Feels unlikely.

3 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I actually like Fusco.  If he could stay healthy.

Last year with Fusco: 30  ppg

Last year without Fusco: 20 ppg

Clearly it’s not all him...but it shows something

It also shows how badly they needed quality depth.

52 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Fusco/Carpenter/Brown are solid, above average NFL Guards.  As we saw with Matthews, it takes a year or two for OL rookies.  Neither of these two are an exception IMO.  If they both start, I’ll be worried for Ryan,

And the colts just took their OLine to another level with two rooks.

Falcons are going to have starter quality back ups this year, going to be a little pricey, both in cap space and draft capital, but that's what they've been telling us they were going to do since the season ended.

Sambraillo is a 3.25 mil cap hit this year and can be cut next year for 1 mil in dead cap and 4 mil in cap savings. This year, he starts if McCray isn't ready to start the season or he's the swing tackle. Having a solid swing tackle for 3.25 mil is not too much money.

JD dirtybird21 likes this

7 minutes ago, falconidae said:

It also shows how badly they needed quality depth.

And the colts just took their OLine to another level with two rooks.

Falcons are going to have starter quality back ups this year, going to be a little pricey, both in cap space and draft capital, but that's what they've been telling us they were going to do since the season ended.

Sambraillo is a 3.25 mil cap hit this year and can be cut next year for 1 mil in dead cap and 4 mil in cap savings. This year, he starts if McCray isn't ready to start the season or he's the swing tackle. Having a solid swing tackle for 3.25 mil is not too much money.

This is a false argument.  The Seahawks & Colts both employed 6 OL sets on a staggering 25-30% of their snaps.  Nobody else even close.  

Why?  Cause their line was a weakness.  In the playoffs when they couldn’t afford to use a 6th, they gave up 10 hits, I forget how many sacks, 10 penalties

9 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Our defense was one of the very worst

I get the confusion of the draft but I actually have come around on the picks. Didn't see either coming, but we are hitting the trenches. I know, wasted capital and resources on the OL for the offseason but at least we focused heavily in the trenches.

Our defense lost 2 bonafide Pro bowlers, 1 being an All-Pro for the season in the 1st game. Then lost your defensive captain in Allen and Grady Jarrett for a few games and Takk for a few games. Hard to compete with that much lost talent. Hageman is no scrub although he never reached his potential. He should come with a fire and hunger never witnessed from him knowing his career is on the line and he saw what life out of the league could be like for him. AC is serviceable. I think we will be ok on defense. 

What would the Ravens look like without Ray Lewis and Ed Reed lost to injury? Definitely not top 10. Not comparing the players, just the scenario.

2 minutes ago, The Peregrine said:

I get the confusion of the draft but I actually have come around on the picks. Didn't see either coming, but we are hitting the trenches. I know, wasted capital and resources on the OL for the offseason but at least we focused heavily in the trenches.

Our defense lost 2 bonafide Pro bowlers, 1 being an All-Pro for the season in the 1st game. Then lost your defensive captain in Allen and Grady Jarrett for a few games and Takk for a few games. Hard to compete with that much lost talent. Hageman is no scrub although he never reached his potential. He should come with a fire and hunger never witnessed from him knowing his career is on the line and he saw what life out of the league could be like for him. AC is serviceable. I think we will be ok on defense. 

What would the Ravens look like without Ray Lewis and Ed Reed lost to injury? Definitely not top 10. Not comparing the players, just the scenario.

I don’t care. Top ten defense. No excuses. 

10 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Exactly.

I don't care if we lose five starters to injury. We had the chance to fix our depth - if we didn't (and imho we didn't that much) that's on the coaches.

This team needs to dominate in the trenches, and if they don't, the experiment was a failure.

6 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

If Tyeler Davidson is as advertised, our run defense should progress. AC plays the run well. I was a Hageman fan just on his size and strength and the potential he brought. But he was a bit soft most of the time and very inconsistent. Hopefully, the 2 years out of the league lights a fire into a man possessed on his last opportunity.

I think our biggest increase for our defense will be Debo and Neal getting back to form and Jarrett progressing. We have defensive weapons, but injury derailed the season and growth and development.

Btw, ALL of my jerseys except 1 are defense, Roddy White. 45, 55, 78 Coleman, 21 Sanders throwback, and 22. I am praying the defense flourishes.

If Tyeler Davidson is as advertised, our run defense should progress. AC plays the run well. I was a Hageman fan just on his size and strength and the potential he brought. But he was a bit soft most of the time and very inconsistent. Hopefully, the 2 years out of the league lights a fire into a man possessed on his last opportunity.

I think our biggest increase for our defense will be Debo and Neal getting back to form and Jarrett progressing. We have defensive weapons, but injury derailed the season and growth and development.

Btw, ALL of my jerseys except 1 are defense, Roddy White. 45, 55, 78 Coleman, 21 Sanders throwback, and 22. I am praying the defense flourishes.

This isn’t at you. I just don’t care. I’m either going to enjoy football or I’m not wasting time. Like any other television show.

1 minute ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Exactly.

I don't care if we lose five starters to injury. We had the chance to fix our depth - if we didn't (and imho we didn't that much) that's on the coaches.

This team needs to dominate in the trenches, and if they don't, the experiment was a failure.

We fully addressed one side of the trench and added depth on the other side of the trenches. We did lose close to 5 starters at some point in the season on defense, a few for extended period. Neal - 15 games, Jones - 10 games, Allen - 13 games, Shelby - 9 games, Jarrett - 2 games, Takk - 1 game bit played injured. You would be hard pressed to find a team to accommodate the loss of pro bowl, starter talent for that many injuries. 

I have a silent tongue and listening ear if you care to share.

5 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

This isn’t at you. I just don’t care. I’m either going to enjoy football or I’m not wasting time. Like any other television show.

So you're not gonna enjoy the team this year? What if we draft rb Harris or Ogzibo? And say a Daylon Mack and Isiah Johnson. That is your DT, CB, and RB. Make a couple of trades to get back into the 3rd.

Just curious because they are still moves to be made.

So you're not gonna enjoy the team this year? What if we draft rb Harris or Ogzibo? And say a Daylon Mack and Isiah Johnson. That is your DT, CB, and RB. Make a couple of trades to get back into the 3rd.

Just curious because they are still moves to be made.

Top ten defense man. 

And a run game.

Flying Falcon likes this

6 minutes ago, The Peregrine said:

We fully addressed one side of the trench and added depth on the other side of the trenches. We did lose close to 5 starters at some point in the season on defense, a few for extended period. Neal - 15 games, Jones - 10 games, Allen - 13 games, Shelby - 9 games, Jarrett - 2 games, Takk - 1 game bit played injured. You would be hard pressed to find a team to accommodate the loss of pro bowl, starter talent for that many injuries. 

I have a silent tongue and listening ear if you care to share.

What happens if we face a bunch of injuries on defense again? Or even a few? I'll be real, if we lose Jarrett, we have very little at DT. If we lose Takk, we have very little at DE. Meanwhile, after the Lindstrom pick, if we lost a guard or tackle, we still had decent depth. McGary could be a good player. If we had spent some money in FA on the defense, I'd be much happier with it. Right now, I'm not. This defense has been bad for over a decade, and it doesn't look likely to change.

Top defense and a run game and I'll be happy. I'll believe it when I see it.

My initial response to seeing what the Falcons selected was disappointment. I wanted Wilkins. Well, he was already gone. Looking at round one. Defenders were flying off the board. By the mid to late part of round 1, the value had become OL. Did Lindstrom at 14 seem like value prior to the draft? No. Obviously the front office thinks very highly of him. He's a bit confusing to me because I have read he could be a 10 year starter to he flat out sucks. 

Trading up for McGary seemed strange since the Falcons already signed two guards and drafted Lindstrom. McGary's biggest weakness is pass protection. Do you want that at RT day one? Seems like he might be better suited for guard. Who is the RT to start the season? Lindstrom? Maybe. Why didn't he play there his final year? The Falcons came into the draft needing a RT. They drafted two OL in the 1st, and might still need a RT. Not having a 2nd or 3rd round pick stings, but I knew they were going to trade up. I just wish I had more confidence that one of these two guys is the RT. Hey, what do I truely know. I just hope these guys succeed and live up to their selections. A 14th pick and a trade up come with high expectations.

4 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Top ten defense man. 

And a run game.

Definitely capable run game, IF Freeman gets back to form and protect himself better. I lole Ito but cannot be a primary back if Free goes down again. Brian Hill is probably a journeyman who may fumble his way out of the league or onto a practice squad. I would like another RB.

Defense is an ongoing process. But we have invested heavily in the defense in years past.

Tru, Alford, Beasley, Neal, Jones, Collins, Hageman, Takk, Oliver are all 1st and 2nd rounders. Some planned out, some didn't, some wasted potential. 

Just now, The Peregrine said:

Definitely capable run game, IF Freeman gets back to form and protect himself better. I lole Ito but cannot be a primary back if Free goes down again. Brian Hill is probably a journeyman who may fumble his way out of the league or onto a practice squad. I would like another RB.

Defense is an ongoing process. But we have invested heavily in the defense in years past.

Tru, Alford, Beasley, Neal, Jones, Collins, Hageman, Takk, Oliver are all 1st and 2nd rounders. Some planned out, some didn't, some wasted potential. 

I’m not interested in an ongoing process. I’m not wasting another year watching flukey and bad defenses. It’s not entertaining and I don’t like Koetter even a little. 

Top ten defense, run game. No exceptions, explanations, or excuses. You know the main two runners have concussions on one and had a bad leg injury the other. Well, OL doesn’t help those issues. I want to see defense. That’s what I enjoy. That or I don’t waste next season.

Flying Falcon likes this

6 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

What happens if we face a bunch of injuries on defense again? Or even a few? I'll be real, if we lose Jarrett, we have very little at DT. If we lose Takk, we have very little at DE. Meanwhile, after the Lindstrom pick, if we lost a guard or tackle, we still had decent depth. McGary could be a good player. If we had spent some money in FA on the defense, I'd be much happier with it. Right now, I'm not. This defense has been bad for over a decade, and it doesn't look likely to change.

That would be bad luck 2 years in a row. But we have not had a good online for DECADES outside of 2016 and 2012. We have tried in the past with Holmes, Konz, Reynolds,  and Johnson but with little success. You have to keep at it. Oline is the most important unit to me because it protects your most prized investment and allows the entire offense to work. And we have been getting by for years with Matt taking brutal hits just to tough the **** out and not call anyone out. Get the man a line. And I think we finally did.

7 minutes ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

My initial response to seeing what the Falcons selected was disappointment. I wanted Wilkins. Well, he was already gone. Looking at round one. Defenders were flying off the board. By the mid to late part of round 1, the value had become OL. Did Lindstrom at 14 seem like value prior to the draft? No. Obviously the front office thinks very highly of him. He's a bit confusing to me because I have read he could be a 10 year starter to he flat out sucks. 

Trading up for McGary seemed strange since the Falcons already signed two guards and drafted Lindstrom. McGary's biggest weakness is pass protection. Do you want that at RT day one? Seems like he might be better suited for guard. Who is the RT to start the season? Lindstrom? Maybe. Why didn't he play there his final year? The Falcons came into the draft needing a RT. They drafted two OL in the 1st, and might still need a RT. Not having a 2nd or 3rd round pick stings, but I knew they were going to trade up. I just wish I had more confidence that one of these two guys is the RT. Hey, what do I truely know. I just hope these guys succeed and live up to their selections. A 14th pick and a trade up come with high expectations.

Ramczyk with the Saints is a eerily similar scenario and he has turned out well for them. IJS

2 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I’m not interested in an ongoing process. I’m not wasting another year watching flukey and bad defenses. It’s not entertaining and I don’t like Koetter even a little. 

Top ten defense, run game. No exceptions, explanations, or excuses. You know the main two runners have concussions on one and had a bad leg injury the other. Well, OL doesn’t help those issues. I want to see defense. That’s what I enjoy. That or I don’t waste next season.

I'm with it, old school NFL smash mouth, SEC way.

No excuses but 22 other teams would have excuses, really 31 but just speaking on Top 10 defense and run game.

I hope we draft RB. I wanted the OK rb last year that went to Bengals. I want a bonafide starter this year but may not be possi le but we did find our current and last year starters in 3rd and 4th round.

Just now, The Peregrine said:

I'm with it, old school NFL smash mouth, SEC way.

No excuses but 22 other teams would have excuses, really 31 but just speaking on Top 10 defense and run game.

I hope we draft RB. I wanted the OK rb last year that went to Bengals. I want a bonafide starter this year but may not be possi le but we did find our current and last year starters in 3rd and 4th round.

others are focusing on them we focus on us. I believe I set the bar really low. If they have excuses, good. Let them sink.

Flying Falcon likes this