Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hjerry

We better have a top 10 OL this season

77 posts in this topic

It better be top 5.

We have the 2nd most expensive oline with two 1st round rookies. Ridiculous amount of capital spent on that group. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night I was definitely thinking "WTF?!?" but I'm starting to warm up to what happened now.  I heard Charlie Weiss talking about both guys on the radio and he said they're big, nasty maulers and will drastically improve the o-line pretty much immediately.  I just didn't know anything about them.  I guess he's pretty familiar with them.  It will be fun to see Matt Ryan with time to throw and Freeman and Smith having open lanes to run through.  I don't know.  I'm just trying to be optimistic about it.  I was surprised they didn't take Taylor but obviously TD and company like McGary more.

Sucks not having a 2nd and 3rd though.  TD will probably do some wheelin' and dealin'.  We shall see...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Domed Outter said:

Quinn is putting his *** on the firing line. 

We better be averaging 30+ points a game, because we are going to be needing that and more.

How many points/game did our defense give up last season?  I don't know.  However, just getting Neal, Rico, and Debo back should make us a bit better.  Add a more experienced Senat and Foye......we should be measurably better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

It better be top 5.

We have the 2nd most expensive oline with two 1st round rookies. Ridiculous amount of capital spent on that group. 

Source?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

Better have two rookies starting on the OL. 

1st round picks are starters, not backups (other than maybe a QB being groomed, a rarity). 

Trading back into the 1st round to get a backup OL clearly makes no sense, so gotta assume McGary will be at RT. 

That's actually incorrect. For any other position yea but oline you need to draft in early rounds and a lot of the time it still takes a year or two to develop. 

It's the nature of the position and it's pretty common knowledge around the nfl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that I said in another thread is maybe we wanted to have players who can start if the rookies aren't ready yet, and then the kids can start later on in the season or next year, and then we can cut the lesser talented free agents so that we won't have the most expensive OL (certainly worst value for the cost) in the NFL

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, hjerry said:

I know it's high up there. The numbers have been posted on here before.

It was most likely because of Schrader's numbers....you are correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 can't be cut, so Sambrailo and our 2 FAs will be make the team, but Sambrailo and Carpenter can be cut after 2019 for minimal cap savings and more if they're post June 1 cuts. Brown can be released after 2019 as a post June 1 cut for cap savings and certainly after 2020, so clearly we were banking on him being the more long term of the three.

Mack won't be on the books forever either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Theyhateme : ) said:

It was most likely because of Schrader's numbers....you are correct.

Even with his numbers off, we're near the top. The clear difference being that most of the teams that high in those rankings have among the best OL in the league. We don't, or at least, not yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hjerry said:

Even with his numbers off, we're near the top. The clear difference being that most of the teams that high in those rankings have among the best OL in the league. We don't, or at least, not yet.

2016....they were nice and we lost Chester, but still nice enough to get to the playoffs in 17.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly how does one gauge top ten? If Matt gets sacked half as many times this year, and our running game moves into the top half of the league, would that not make this OL offseason a marked success?

Also, it's very likely that the OL will be better over time this season as opposed to early. Regardless of whether the rooks start day one or not, it takes time to incorporate three new guys into the system and hammer down cohesion and communication. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thanat0s said:

Exactly how does one gauge top ten? If Matt gets sacked half as many times this year, and our running game moves into the top half of the league, would that not make this OL offseason a marked success?

Also, it's very likely that the OL will be better over time this season as opposed to early. Regardless of whether the rooks start day one or not, it takes time to incorporate three new guys into the system and hammer down cohesion and communication. 

 

Well....2016, Labor Day weekend, we were still adding linemen to the roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Theyhateme : ) said:

Well....2016, Labor Day weekend, we were still adding linemen to the roster.

Who, exactly? The only guy we added prior to the season was Alex Mack, and he was added in May. Not to mention, he's a generational talent and a long time vet whose spot runs the show up front. That transition was as easy as one could ask for. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Who, exactly? The only guy we added prior to the season was Alex Mack, and he was added in May. Not to mention, he's a generational talent and a long time vet whose spot runs the show up front. That transition was as easy as one could ask for. 

Wasn't it Chester and Levitre?  I was thinking that the line wasn't fully set in stone until 1 week prior to game day meaning 2015-2016 season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our line basically set at Matthews, Lindstrom, Mack, Brown, McGary, Sambrailo, Carpenter, Fusco/Schweitzer. Don't see Gettis, Gono, Wetzel, Harlow having a chance. If we cant' get it done with that offensive line depth chart then its hopeless.

Theyhateme : ) likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Theyhateme : ) said:

Wasn't it Chester and Levitre?  I was thinking that the line wasn't fully set in stone until 1 week prior to game day meaning 2015-2016 season.

Yeah, the others came in 2015.

Theyhateme : ) likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, thanat0s said:

Yeah, the others came in 2015.

yeah...because Stone and the others didn't work out and we suddenly didn't have a complete Oline prior to the start of that season...I believe we went 8-8 or something the next we add Mack and go all the way.  I wasn't expecting these two picks but I'm glad we did!

thanat0s likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, hjerry said:

At least 2 of our 2 new OL, Sambrailo, Fusco, and Wes will likely be cut before the season begins

They're gonna cut Sambrailo after giving him all that money?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Falcons&Dawgs#1Fan said:

They're gonna cut Sambrailo after giving him all that money?

Naah, but next year he's gone. They can make him a Jun 1 cut, save a 4 mil in cap space, only have 1 mil in dead money. This year, he's going to be a highly paid swing tackle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dirtybird56 said:

 

Just because a player is selected in the 1st round doesn't mean he's gonna be worth a **** Carpenter is a prime example the dude is below average.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing left is for Blank at the news conference for these over-rated players to state our two second rounder excuse me first rounders are gonna be Falcons For Life and make them the highest paid players at their positions regardless of production. I'm sorry after 49 years of cheering for these dumb gentleman's what can you do except vent. I just wanted 1 ONE World Championship before I did, I better start looking into cryogenics... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0