FalconsIn2012

TD Knows The Pick: let’s figure out how

59 posts in this topic

Just now, Cheyakita said:

Something tells me Dimi is reading the boards cracking up while reading what posters say trying to figure out this mysterious pick he supposedly knows.

I would do things like that if I was the GM...no lie

Cheyakita likes this

47 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

You could be right..and I hope you are. The quote just reads like a certainty

I’m thinking, ‘Yeah, this is [the] person we’re going to take,’” Dimitroff told the Falcons website the week before the draft. “It’s kind of interesting when it hits you.”

Then if you read the rest of the article...

And that’s why Dimitroff is a firm believer in not entering the weekend stuck on just one prospect.

“At times, you might not get exactly who you want,” Dimitroff said. “You hope to have two, three or four guys that you really do want. That’s a big thing for me to be positive about. If you’re only focused on one person and that doesn’t work, that’s a tough thing to be in the room, everyone can feel the energy.”

I wouldn't necessarily take TD at his word. He's just talking. My guess is we have 3 or 4 guys we covet and are fine walking away with any of them. We are dialed in but not set on 1 guy imo. 

If he was being honest, it has to be Dex. He's the only one I'm 95% sure will be there.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

That’s my point.  For him to know the pick, he has to move up a lot to remove most of the variables

Not necessarily, it could also be that the guy TD has decided on is ranked as a late first or even second rounder on every bigboard out there, so there’s a certainty he will still be there at 14.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Kinda hard to know the pick without knowing who's available. 

This is exactly where I’m going. If he knows the pick then the guy isn’t on anyone’s radar in the first 13 picks... Which means he MAY be a “reach” but if they’re a plug and play type guy then I can’t disagree unless dude sucks.

1 hour ago, The O.D.B said:

I think TD would be a foolish man to state with confidence "I know who I'm getting" when a trade is involved. IE, that type of confidence can only be had if you are the only one controlling your destiny. if a third party/other team is involved you wouldn't have that much confidence as they might back-out at the last second. FYI: I don't believe TD is a foolish man. 

If I make a statement like this, it would mean a Neal type of pick. Someone that I see something in but the others don't. I'm thinking the only one who fits this would be Dex. Wilkins is a sure fit for our culture and could contribute but people see him for who he is. Most teams don't see Dex for who he is. Dillard is another possibility but I think he drops some because of his school. I see another pick that will be talked about as a reach by many. 

My two cents.

And it could be false bravado so the pick they take feels like he is wanted here.  He could always point back to this quote and show the player this is who we always wanted.  Or it could just be smoke to throw off the other GMs.

I am wary of the Jets trade now that Washington has said they want to move up for a QB.  Snyder is stupid with his draft capital and could spoil everything with us moving to three.  We had leverage before but with a Washington offer, it gives the leverage back to the Jets.

It means that there's one particular player he really wants instead of sitting at #14 and let the draft comes to him.

This means we'll have a trade to move up tonight.

5 minutes ago, Shelley#37 said:

And it could be false bravado so the pick they take feels like he is wanted here.  He could always point back to this quote and show the player this is who we always wanted.  Or it could just be smoke to throw off the other GMs.

I am wary of the Jets trade now that Washington has said they want to move up for a QB.  Snyder is stupid with his draft capital and could spoil everything with us moving to three.  We had leverage before but with a Washington offer, it gives the leverage back to the Jets.

Meh, I'm about 95% we won't trade up in the 1st today. Schneider will no doubt goof up the skins.

I think it logically leads to a different answer, which is NO trade up. If you know who you are drafting that means you are selecting a player everyone else undervalues. Someone who would normally be a 20-32 pick player, we will take at 14.

I predict a pick that many will call reach, ala Neal.

FalconsIn2012 likes this

2 hours ago, Tandy said:

Just because he knows the guy they want to pick doesn't mean he hasn't prepared for the reality that the player may not be there at 14.   They have "the guy" then contingency guys in case.

I'm not sure his statements meant that he already has a trade move in place (although he may have), I just think he meant they have the selected #1 on the board "if" he's there.   I could be wrong, but that's how I read his statement. 

This is exactly how I read it aswell.

Theyll have a ABCD plan trade up trade down will no doubt have run all the possible scenarios around who where and how much.

To me they are set on a certain guy but as you mentioned have done thee above to make sure they get what they want.

The 2 biggest takes I have coming out of the media and the rumour mill is we want to trade up for ED Oliver and we want Christian Wilkins .To me If I wanted either bad I’m not letting info like that out I’d be keeping my cards close to my chest.

I’ve been trying to work out if this is for real or a classic smoke screen misdirection type deal to throw teams off the real guy we want.

FalconsIn2012 and Tandy like this

He said in the same interview - or one only a day or two apart, could be wrong here - that you can't get your heart set on one guy, and that's bad for draft rooms, because the energy goes away if you don't get your guy. He said you need to have 3 or 4 guys. I'm pretty sure this is just him saying he knows who he'll take if he falls to where we pick. We aren't trading up to No. 3, and we aren't overpaying.

FalconsIn2012 and kiwifalcon like this

10 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

This is exactly how I read it aswell.

Theyll have a ABCD plan trade up trade down will no doubt have run all the possible scenarios around who where and how much.

To me they are set on a certain guy but as you mentioned have done thee above to make sure they get what they want.

The 2 biggest takes I have coming out of the media and the rumour mill is we want to trade up for ED Oliver and we want Christian Wilkins .To me If I wanted either bad I’m not letting info like that out I’d be keeping my cards close to my chest.

I’ve been trying to work out if this is for real or a classic smoke screen misdirection type deal to throw teams off the real guy we want.

Sometimes, the rumors are so far off, you just shake your head when the pick comes.   Other times, they are on the money.   I do believe we will be picking for the trenches.  I'm just not sure which side, and frankly, if it's a quality player, I'll be alright with either - as long as we address both in this draft.

FalconsIn2012 and kiwifalcon like this

10 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

He said in the same interview - or one only a day or two apart, could be wrong here - that you can't get your heart set on one guy, and that's bad for draft rooms, because the energy goes away if you don't get your guy. He said you need to have 3 or 4 guys. I'm pretty sure this is just him saying he knows who he'll take if he falls to where we pick. We aren't trading up to No. 3, and we aren't overpaying.

Here is the article

This is the time of year when NFL teams like to say that they’re not sure who they will take with their first round draft pick, but the Atlanta Falcons are a little different.

General manager Thomas Dimitroff says he knows exactly who the team is going to target with the No. 14 overall selection in the first round.

Not that he’s going to say who. Just that he knows who.

“I’m thinking, ‘Yeah, this is [the] person we’re going to take,’” Dimitroff told the Falcons website the week before the draft. “It’s kind of interesting when it hits you.”

A few days prior to the draft in Nashville, the Falcons say that they have their board completely set, including who they are targeting with that first pick.

“We like to have our front board quite clean and really dialed in,” Dimitroff said. “That’s where we are right now. We’re putting the final touches on everything.”

So who will the Falcons go after in the first round? That’s still very much an open question, but judging by the team’s needs and their pre draft visits, a few positions have stuck out.

Both Dimitroff and head coach Dan Quinn have been putting much of their attention on both lines of scrimmage, where they need help protecting the quarterback and going after the other team’s.

BoomGoesTheDynamite likes this

2 hours ago, Falcons_Frenzy said:

I think it's Wilkins. If he is gone then it's Dexter Lawrence and nobody will ever know the difference.

This. TD is sure 1 of the 2 will be there. Greedy would make me sick if he is the plan 

Edited by NeonDeion
Tim Mazetti and FalconsIn2012 like this

47 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Here is the article

This is the time of year when NFL teams like to say that they’re not sure who they will take with their first round draft pick, but the Atlanta Falcons are a little different.

General manager Thomas Dimitroff says he knows exactly who the team is going to target with the No. 14 overall selection in the first round.

Not that he’s going to say who. Just that he knows who.

“I’m thinking, ‘Yeah, this is [the] person we’re going to take,’” Dimitroff told the Falcons website the week before the draft. “It’s kind of interesting when it hits you.”

A few days prior to the draft in Nashville, the Falcons say that they have their board completely set, including who they are targeting with that first pick.

“We like to have our front board quite clean and really dialed in,” Dimitroff said. “That’s where we are right now. We’re putting the final touches on everything.”

So who will the Falcons go after in the first round? That’s still very much an open question, but judging by the team’s needs and their pre draft visits, a few positions have stuck out.

Both Dimitroff and head coach Dan Quinn have been putting much of their attention on both lines of scrimmage, where they need help protecting the quarterback and going after the other team’s.

I've seen the article. I'm just saying that he's said several things at this point.

FalconsIn2012 likes this