Doug Carlton

Big Surprises Thursday Night? Maybe we have it all wrong

25 posts in this topic

I respect PFF for their research and use of analytics in ranking players. Far more researched and crunched statistically to arrive at a ranking.Ranking does not always equal results, but what to make of how divergent their top 100 is from everything else?

Forget the Falcons pics, they are trash, but look at the rankings and players off the board in the 1st and 2nd round.

Greedy WIlliams at 5? Tillery at 10 (and he graded EQUAL with QW!!!), Chase Winovich at 22, Darnell Savage at 25, Will Grier going to NE at 32 and BEFORE Drew Locke?

Sweat, Gary, Lindstrom, Jacobs all in the 2nd round?

Moreland and WIlson in the 3rd?

Is it possible that we have vastly over/under valued the players with which we have interest and Thursday night we are in for a rude awakening?

duckhoa likes this

PFF is just trying to stay ahead of the curve and trying to look smart when either a someone overdrafts a player, b there is a run on a position, or c the patriots come out of left field and draft an unknown. 

hjerry, papachaz, atljbo and 1 other like this

3 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

Will Grier to the Patriots at #32 is my 'surprise' first rounder. 

dude is a baller.

42 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Yeah that PFF three round mock is a joke

yeah if we took Bush in the 1st with so many other great choices I would want someone drug tested.

10 minutes ago, Doug Carlton said:

yeah if we took Bush in the 1st with so many other great choices I would want someone drug tested.

I like Bush (Hey Now!!!) and wouldn’t totally hate the pick but that overall draft was trash - LOL....so wrong..

6 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I like Bush (Hey Now!!!) and wouldn’t totally hate the pick but that overall draft was trash - LOL....so wrong..

80-039-s-Classic-Revenge-of-the-Nerds-Booger-034-We-039-ve-Got-Bush-034-custom-tee-Any-Size

g-dawg likes this

8 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I'm into Bush as much as the next guy (hey now yourself) but do not view him as big a need nor as valued at #14

g-dawg likes this

4 minutes ago, Doug Carlton said:

I'm into Bush as much as the next guy (hey now yourself) but do not view him as big a need nor as valued at #14

Sideline to sideline LBs in Quinn's D are a great thing to watch. If no one else on our board is available and we can't trade back I'd rather have Bush or White over Greedy for example.

duckhoa and g-dawg like this

4 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Sideline to sideline LBs in Quinn's D are a great thing to watch. If no one else on our board is available and we can't trade back I'd rather have Bush or White over Greedy for example.

yeah....  the LB running sideline to sideline to make tackles 5 to 8 yards beyond the LOS is such a beautiful thing.

Play after Play...  after Play. After Play.

Enjoy that.

*But yes, as much as I hate Ed Oliver as our pick, the notion of taking Greedy instead is even worse.

vitaman likes this

if this draft went as offered, Risner, Ford and Wilkins would be there for us. I'd prefer any of the 3 over White, Bush or Greedy.

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, m2Falcons said:

yeah....  the LB running sideline to sideline to make tackles 5 to 8 yards beyond the LOS is such a beautiful thing.

Play after Play...  after Play. After Play.

Enjoy that.

*But yes, as much as I hate Ed Oliver as our pick, the notion of taking Greedy instead is even worse.

Yeah, the 9 TFLs and 5 sacks he got last year were all 5 to 8 yards down the field. The dude is a 2 time Butkus Award finalist, don't act like he doesn't have game.

Edited by Geneaut
duckhoa likes this

1 minute ago, Geneaut said:

Yeah, the 9 TFLs and 5 sacks he got last year were all 5 to 8 yards down the field. The dude is a 2 time Butkus Award finalist, don't act like he doesn't have game.

You took my comment COMPLETELY the wrong way.

White and Bush are GREAT LB's.

My POINT was we need to fix the dayum DL ISSUES or else we get to just keep watching LBs making the plays beyond the LOS.

vitaman likes this

Just now, m2Falcons said:

You took my comment COMPLETELY the wrong way.

White and Bush are GREAT LB's.

My POINT was we need to fix the dayum DL ISSUES or else we get to just keep watching LBs making the plays beyond the LOS.

I'm OK with that point entirely. As I said though I'd only take either of those LBs if all our other options were gone. My preference would totally be DL.

We are (almost) always wrong.

The only time we have been right was in 2015 when Beasley was the talk of the town.

In 2016 Myles Jack, Shaq Lawson and the consensus pick of Darron Lee were on the board.

In 2017 we traded up for Takk, I don't even remember who the consensus pick was for us that year.

In 2018 Ridley fell into our lap when we all thought that Taven Bryan was the guy.

duckhoa and octoslash like this

3 minutes ago, quotemokc said:

The only time we have been right was in 2015 when Beasley was the talk of the town.

In 2016 Myles Jack, Shaq Lawson and the consensus pick of Darron Lee were on the board.

In 2017 we traded up for Takk, I don't even remember who the consensus pick was for us that year.

In 2018 Ridley fell into our lap when we all thought that Taven Bryan was the guy.

Exactly why I don't pretend to even know anything about what's coming. And I don't bother making predictions that I know won't come true.

Geneaut likes this

2 minutes ago, quotemokc said:

Every year I mock the heck out of all the mock draft simulators. I rarely hit anywhere near what we end up with. Many of the guys we draft from 4th on back do I even recognize their names unless they played around here.

They’ll definitely be surprises.

Some folks will drop and it doesn’t seem logical but it happens every single year.

Look at Jarrett.  Fkg 5th rounder man.

Geneaut and vitaman like this

The thing with PFF, unless they changed something, is they evaluate college players based on what they did in college, which is fine, but for the draft they don't factor in who does or doesn't have a skill set for the NFL. There are lots of good college players who don't have the skills to excel in the NFL and there are lots of fairly average college players who have the skill to eventually develop into good NFL players. 

vitaman likes this

Awesome....would love for this to happen.

Devin and Jones at LB.....I can already smell top 10 D.

Biggest surprise would be if Beek’s mock comes true. Take Dillard at 14 while Wilkins and Lawrence are still on the board.

While I think this mock is way off, I do think they nail a few of the players that are "slated" to go in the later rounds and show them going in the 2nd and 3rd.

A lot of the guys mocked here in the 4th are going to go in the 2nd/3rd.