Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tandy

TD on the moment he "knew" who they would draft at 14

48 posts in this topic

This may be a repeat post - I looked through the first 3 pages and didn't see it.   Anyway - sharing it here:

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/thomas-dimitroff-on-the-moment-he-realized-who-the-falcons-will-take-in-2019-nfl  (Link to article)

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/video/gm-thomas-dimitroff-on-making-final-adjustments-before-the-2019-nfl-draft  (Link to video)

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. – In the middle of an early morning workout on Thursday morning, it all clicked for Thomas Dimitroff in terms of what the Falcons will do with the No. 14 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

“I’m thinking, ‘Yeah, this is [the] person we’re going to take,’” Dimitroff said. “It’s kind of interesting when it hits you.”

Going into his 12th draft as Atlanta’s general manger, Dimitroff has this down to a science.

A week out from the draft, the Falcons’ draft board is pretty much set. The week leading up to the draft is more about the final touches and conversations with other general managers about potential trades.

“We like to have our front board quite clean and really dialed in,” Dimitroff said. “That’s where we are right now. We’re putting the final touches on everything.”

Sure, there’s the possibility the Falcons could be given new information on a prospect that could change things in the final week, but for the most part, Dimitroff knows exactly who he wants to draft come April 25th.

The question on draft night won’t be regarding which prospect the Falcons hope to draft, it’s more about if he’ll be available. If not, where do the Falcons go next? That’s the main question Dimitroff has to prepare for.

And that’s why Dimitroff is a firm believer in not entering the weekend stuck on just one prospect.

“At times, you might not get exactly who you want,” Dimitroff said. “You hope to have two, three or four guys that you really do want. That’s a big thing for me to be positive about. If you’re only focused on one person and that doesn’t work, that’s a tough thing to be in the room, everyone can feel the energy.”

Dimitroff said during his tenure as Falcons’ general manager, there has not been a time where he’s had a “womp womp” moment after not landing his desired prospect.

When it comes to the draft, the Falcons don’t operate solely as a “needs-based” team.

That’s not to say Dimitroff and head coach Dan Quinn won’t address specific positions of need, but if the highest-graded player on their board is available at a position that might not be viewed as a top need, they’ll take that player over a lower-graded player at the position of need.

“Of course, we’re needs based [but with] that said, we’re not just going to go after someone because we need that position,” Dimitroff said. “We need to make sure that talent is matching what is on the board. We’ll never just randomly pick someone because we need a defensive end or whatever position. That’s not going to be the way it is.”

Atlanta selecting Calvin Ridley in the first round is an example of Dimitroff’s strategy. Wide receiver wasn’t necessarily the top need for the Falcons heading into the 2018 NFL Draft, but Ridley was too good of a player to pass up.

The Falcons’ positional needs are pretty clear to this point: Tackle, defensive tackle, defensive end and cornerback. Three of those positions are viewed as the strengths of the draft.

“This is a unique year,” Dimitroff said. “Defensive line is heavy [in talent] as well as [the] offensive line.”

The Falcons have nine picks to use in this year’s draft which takes place on April 25th at 8 p.m. ET in Nashville, Tenn.

gazoo and kiwifalcon like this

Definitely a trade up Scenario. For me it’s go big or go home Quinnen Williams at 3 should be the target.   Swap firsts 2/4 and a 2nd next yr.  He reminds me of Fletcher Cox.  

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

I just don't know how he can say that with certainty unless he has a trade up in place or he's certain he's picking someone lower on most boards, someone maybe like Lawrence or one of the corners. 

2 minutes ago, Clark said:

If he does truly know, its a guy that no one expects to go that high much like the Neal pick.  How else could he be certain he would land the player?

And there was no way of knowing Ridley would be there for us last year.  

TD just putting stuff out there.  

29 minutes ago, Diggable Birds said:

Definitely a trade up Scenario. For me it’s go big or go home Quinnen Williams at 3 should be the target.   Swap firsts 2/4 and a 2nd next yr.  He reminds me of Fletcher Cox.  

exactly who he reminds me of.

31 minutes ago, Vandy said:

So You guys believe any of the crap TD tells the media? I sure don’t...

I believe that he beieves be knows who he wants to pick

23 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

I believe that he beieves be knows who he wants to pick

He’s of course got a board Slobby, but as he/we know the draft can go in numerous different directions. See last year for perfect example. 

On 4/24/2019 at 11:56 AM, vel said:

It's almost like we don't go through this every year...

It’s fun for media/us to speculate on, I guess. I’m sure they had Ridley on their wish list last year (congrats, I think you did too) but I’m also sure they were pleasantly surprised he fell to them. 

PokerSteve, vel and kiwifalcon like this

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

He’s got a board, but as he/we know the draft can go in numerous different directions. See last year for perfect example. 

It’s fun for media/us to speculate on, I guess. I’m sure they had Ridley on their wish list last year (congrats, I think you did too) but I’m sure they were pleasantly surprised he fell to them. 

I believe he has worked every scenari o even more than.G-Dawg(maybe), so he does know exactly who hes taking based on those scenarios.

Vandy, Bigbenright and PokerSteve like this

Just now, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

I believe he has worked every scenari o even more than G-Dawg (maybe), so he does know exactly who hes taking based on those scenarios.

LOL, seriously doubt that my friend!!!

48 minutes ago, Clark said:

If he does truly know, its a guy that no one expects to go that high much like the Neal pick.  How else could he be certain he would land the player?

saunders woukd be.a.shock.

While I agree TD is just putting stuff out there for the media, I do believe him when he says they have a very dialed in Big Board. I don't think there are a ton of names still left up there for the 1st and I'd be surprised if TD didn't a really good idea of exactly who he wants. Whether that involves a trade up is up in the air. 

PokerSteve likes this

12 minutes ago, Vandy said:

It’s fun for media/us to speculate on, I guess. I’m sure they had Ridley on their wish list last year (congrats, I think you did too) but I’m sure they were pleasantly surprised he fell to them. 

Ha definitely had WR but didn't think Ridley was gonna be on the board. Had Oliver though. I was a lot more locked in on what they were positioning for last year. I've got no clue this year outside of trenches. 

It's all about their actions, not their words. TD lies with the best of them. He'd make a great poker player. 

Vandy likes this

“I’m thinking, ‘Yeah, this is [the] person we’re going to take,’” Dimitroff said. “It’s kind of interesting when it hits you.”

Dimitroff====vector-illustration-business-guru-having

Tandy likes this

4 minutes ago, vel said:

Ha definitely had WR but didn't think Ridley was gonna be on the board. Had Oliver though. I was a lot more locked in on what they were positioning for last year. I've got no clue this year outside of trenches. 

It's all about their actions, not their words. TD lies with the best of them. He'd make a great poker player. 

You live in Nashville, you gonna try and go? I was going, but something work-related came up which blew it all up for me...

Attending the draft is still on my bucket list....

1 hour ago, Diggable Birds said:

If you are willing to give up that much... You must love Cox. 

tenor.gif?itemid=12737277

PokerSteve and VTCrunkler like this