Falcons Fan MVP

what grade would you give Thomas Dimitroff as our GM since 2008?

89 posts in this topic

I am very impressed with the job Thomas D has done with the Atlanta Falcons. He has built 2 rosters that very easily could have won a Super Bowl in 2012 and 2016. The 2012 and 2016 rosters only had like 5 identical players. I give him an A- and I hope Thomas D is our GM for many years to come. Your thoughts?

Just now, Tim Mazetti said:

A.

This a an easy one if one had seen this train wreck from the early eighties to 1998.....Oh, and the seventies.....and sixties.:o

Been here since the beginning and it was bad but no excuses for yrs of poor trench play and lack of depth. 

Falcons Fan MVP and Osiruz like this

I'd say B-. 

He's had some tough misses. Jerry should have never been taken in my opinion. Spoon was the right pick, just missed due to the injuries. I still believe 2011 Spoon was one of the best LBs in the league that year. Missing on Konz and Holmes was atrocious. Hasn't had a terrible draft since 2012. 

Getting Turner was flawless. Trading for Tony G was brilliant. Trading up for Julio was franchise changing. Those three moves alone, along with Matt, should have gotten us to the SB in 2012 if not for poor coaching. 

Once he got a head coach with a clear vision for building the roster he wants and thinks he can win with, TD has been fire. He doesn't have an issue finding talent when he has direction. His moves are shrewd and he's aggressive at the right times in my opinion. Few better. 

B+

I don’t think there is a GM past/present who doesn’t have his share of mistakes, TD included.

But his biggest moves (Ryan/Julio) have been his best moves and he’s been instrumental in establishing the Falcons as one of the better run NFL franchises in the league.

It's easy to dwell on and magnify his mistakes but the NFL is the most competitive league in the world. It's really hard to have sustained success. 

Think about what has been going on just with the other teams in the division. The year Dimitrof was hired, Bruce Allen was GM of the Bucs. The next year, Allen got fired and replaced with Mark Dominik. Dominik got fired after the 2013 season. Then the Bucs hired Jason Licht, who is still there, but could be gone any time now. 

In 2008 Marty Hurney was fairly entrenched in Carolina but got fired during the 2012 season. Dave Gettleman was hired for 2013 and fired before the 2017 season and they then re-hired Hurney. 

Mickey Loomis has been in New Orleans the whole time Dimitrof has been in Atlanta. He was suspended 8 games in 2012 because of the Bountygate scandal. 

Tim Mazetti likes this

11 minutes ago, vel said:

I'd say B-. 

He's had some tough misses. Jerry should have never been taken in my opinion. Spoon was the right pick, just missed due to the injuries. I still believe 2011 Spoon was one of the best LBs in the league that year. Missing on Konz and Holmes was atrocious. Hasn't had a terrible draft since 2012. 

Getting Turner was flawless. Trading for Tony G was brilliant. Trading up for Julio was franchise changing. Those three moves alone, along with Matt, should have gotten us to the SB in 2012 if not for poor coaching. 

Once he got a head coach with a clear vision for building the roster he wants and thinks he can win with, TD has been fire. He doesn't have an issue finding talent when he has direction. His moves are shrewd and he's aggressive at the right times in my opinion. Few better. 

What?  Except for our 2013 & 2014 years in the Wilderness, we have always been a team capable of reaching an NFCCG.

Tim Mazetti and vel like this

4 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

What?  Except for our 2013 & 2014 years in the Wilderness, we have always been a team capable of reaching an NFCCG.

Lol B- isn't a knock. 2009 was a tough draft. 2012 was atrocious. Ray Edwards and Dunta Robinson signings bring his grade down some. He's got misses. HeIl, I'll take TD over Belichick the GM every day of the week. 

7 minutes ago, vel said:

Lol B- isn't a knock. 2009 was a tough draft. 2012 was atrocious. Ray Edwards and Dunta Robinson signings bring his grade down some. He's got misses. HeIl, I'll take TD over Belichick the GM every day of the week. 

It’s barely above average...lol

And our roster is always healthy, sans the 2 drafts after moving up for Julio

2008 preseason, this is what the power rankings said after ranking us dead last:

32. Atlanta Falcons (4-12) - Initiate Disaster Recovery Mode.

Instead we had the best decade of Falcons football ever

2 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

2008 preseason, this is what the power rankings said after ranking us dead last:

A B- is an 82 on a test if we're being specific. Dang!

If TD can navigate this coming barrage of players coming due and replacing them, he'll move up. If you shrunk the sample size to just DQ's tenure, I'm giving him an A. It's the time with Smitty towards the end that brings it down for me. 

Take a guy like Howie Roseman. He looks like a genius because he's making aggressive moves without a $100MM QB. Wait until that bill comes due and see if he can field the same kind of roster. Matt's contract was supposed to kill this team. Instead they went to and should have won a SB. Poor coaching. Again. If he can keep Julio happy, re-sign Grady, keep Debo, Neal, and Hooper, he's sniffing A territory. 

B+

In a vacuum he's had his fair share of failures but compared to his contemporaries his hit rate and value he extracts from Drafts/FA/UDFA is as good as anyones over the period he's been here.

Tim Mazetti likes this

2 minutes ago, vel said:

If TD can navigate this coming barrage of players coming due and replacing them, he'll move up. If you shrunk the sample size to just DQ's tenure, I'm giving him an A. It's the time with Smitty towards the end that brings it down for me. 

Take a guy like Howie Roseman. He looks like a genius because he's making aggressive moves without a $100MM QB. Wait until that bill comes due and see if he can field the same kind of roster. Matt's contract was supposed to kill this team. Instead they went to and should have won a SB. Poor coaching. Again. If he can keep Julio happy, re-sign Grady, keep Debo, Neal, and Hooper, he's sniffing A territory. 

2008-2012 is an A+

2015-present is an A

2013-2014 are C-    This is due to Julio trade

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

2008-2012 is an A+

2015-present is an A

2013-2014 are C-    This is due to Julio trade

Not blaming 2013-2014 solely on the trade. Throw in 2012, because that's easily his worst draft. Konz and Holmes were atrocious. Bradie Ewing? Massaquoi was the best pick and the HC never played him. Bad bad bad all around. 

2013 wasn't terrible. Tru and Alford. Bookend CBs? I'll take that when you look at how bad that draft was for most teams. Toilolo and Ish are still in the league. 

2014 was when I think TD traded FA for the draft because none of the picks align with what Smitty believed in. Jake was the perfect pick. Hageman would have never been a Falcon without the Senior Bowl and Cox wanting to work with him. Southward was clearly TD throwing Smitty a bone, which was stupid and again based solely on the Senior Bowl. Freeman and Allen were steals that either didn't get snaps or didn't even make the roster. 

2014 is the one where you clearly see Smitty had no clue about talent. But when you're a GM and saddled with a subpar HC, you get drug down as well. 

Posted (edited)

A fair grade is anything at or over a B range at minimum. Given franchise state and immediate success; plus should have SB trophy?

Easy argument on an A. 

Depends on how each person would grade his peers since 2008 in contrast to understand how specific in grading one is being.

Kyle kicks the FG or we run the ball 10 times instead of 4 after hitting 28, and TD gets probably A by everyone’s grading.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
Tim Mazetti likes this

On 4/23/2019 at 5:32 PM, vel said:

Not blaming 2013-2014 solely on the trade. Throw in 2012, because that's easily his worst draft. Konz and Holmes were atrocious. Bradie Ewing? Massaquoi was the best pick and the HC never played him. Bad bad bad all around. 

2013 wasn't terrible. Tru and Alford. Bookend CBs? I'll take that when you look at how bad that draft was for most teams. Toilolo and Ish are still in the league. 

2014 was when I think TD traded FA for the draft because none of the picks align with what Smitty believed in. Jake was the perfect pick. Hageman would have never been a Falcon without the Senior Bowl and Cox wanting to work with him. Southward was clearly TD throwing Smitty a bone, which was stupid and again based solely on the Senior Bowl. Freeman and Allen were steals that either didn't get snaps or didn't even make the roster. 

2014 is the one where you clearly see Smitty had no clue about talent. But when you're a GM and saddled with a subpar HC, you get drug down as well. 

I was referencing roster balance rather than just the draft.  Yes, if the draft is the criteria, 2009 & 2012 were a nightmare

I would give TD a solid A.

The only roster building issues I have is overpaying homegrown players, but IMO that likely comes more from Blank and Quinn.

59 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Yep. The move away from the psychopath at QB changed the entire franchise.

It was done in a very classy way......"I'd take him at three."

AND..................... all is well since. No more sub-80 IQ players?

1 hour ago, vel said:

But isn’t the A simply getting them on the roster?