pa_falcon_fan

My last mock using the TDN draft machine

16 posts in this topic

I have been rolling through a mock draft a day on the TDN draft machine and think that this afternoons ended up being one of my favorite:

• 14 - Christian Wilkins, IDL Clemson -  
    • In this scenario, Quinnen, Bosa, Allan, Gary, Greedy, Oliver, Taylor, White, and Sweat  were all off the board by the time it was our pick.  It was a tough call between Dexter and Wilkins, but this is the Falcons, so I went with the better charter and leadership.  Wilkins brings experience as a base defensive end as well as defensive tackle... which is the kind of versatility that Quinn loves.   I still debate whether I should have taken Dexter instead, but either way it wouldn't have changed the rest of the draft.  
  • 45 - Julian Love, CB Notre Dame
    • Love is a cover corner with the ability to play both man and zone and is athletic enough to play inside and outside.  He isn't a "burner" but the man can just play football.  
  • 79 - D'Andre Walker, EDGE Georgia
    • I could have held off a round and picked Anthony Nelson or Joe Jackson, but couldn't pass up Walker here.  I think he would be a good fit at LEO, filling the role that Beasley failed to.
  • 117 - Marquise Blair, S Utah
    • I was looking OT here but didn't see anyone I wanted to pull the trigger on at this spot.  Blair's aggressive linebacker mentality and rangy cover ability would instantly give us improved S depth with the potential to step up into a starting role in 2020 or 2021 if we move on from either Neal or Rico.
  • 137 - Bobby Evans, OT Oklahoma
    • Evans brings starting experience at both right and left tackle.  He is powerful, tough, and plays with a nasty streak.  Just the kind of guy we have been missing on our O-line since guys like Harvey Dahl left.  He would come in and instantly compete with Sambrailo.
  • 152 - Lamont Gaillard, IOL Georgia
    • Gaillard would immediately become the heir apparent to Mack and would give us depth/competition at both guard spots.  He is another "dirt dog" mentality guy (as NFL.com described him) that would bring some sorely missing attitude to our o-line.
  • 172 - Foster Moreau, TE LSU
    • Moreau would come in and instantly compete for our blocking TE role.  He does offer some ability to catch the ball and is favorably compared to Logan Paulsen.
  • 186 - Devine Ozigbo, RB Nebraska
    • Ozigbo is an explosive, powerful downhill runner that would provide some good  competition for RB depth.  He runs with surprising power, which would offer a nice change of pace.
  • 230 - KeeSean Johnson, WR Fresno State
    • Johnson is a big bodied, smooth WR who has a knack for winning on jump balls and contested catches underneath.  He probably wouldn't get a whole lot of playing time this year, but he could be a potential replacement for Sanu in 2020.  

Would you be happy with this outcome?

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, pa_falcon_fan said:

I have been rolling through a mock draft a day on the TDN draft machine and think that this afternoons ended up being one of my favorite:

• 14 - Christian Wilkins, IDL Clemson -  
    • In this scenario, Quinnen, Bosa, Allan, Gary, Greedy, Oliver, Taylor, White, and Sweat  were all off the board by the time it was our pick.  It was a tough call between Dexter and Wilkins, but this is the Falcons, so I went with the better charter and leadership.  Wilkins brings experience as a base defensive end as well as defensive tackle... which is the kind of versatility that Quinn loves.   I still debate whether I should have taken Dexter instead, but either way it wouldn't have changed the rest of the draft.  
  • 45 - Julian Love, CB Notre Dame
    • Love is a cover corner with the ability to play both man and zone and is athletic enough to play inside and outside.  He isn't a "burner" but the man can just play football.  
  • 79 - D'Andre Walker, EDGE Georgia
    • I could have held off a round and picked Anthony Nelson or Joe Jackson, but couldn't pass up Walker here.  I think he would be a good fit at LEO, filling the role that Beasley failed to.
  • 117 - Marquise Blair, S Utah
    • I was looking OT here but didn't see anyone I wanted to pull the trigger on at this spot.  Blair's aggressive linebacker mentality and rangy cover ability would instantly give us improved S depth with the potential to step up into a starting role in 2020 or 2021 if we move on from either Neal or Rico.
  • 137 - Bobby Evans, OT Oklahoma
    • Evans brings starting experience at both right and left tackle.  He is powerful, tough, and plays with a nasty streak.  Just the kind of guy we have been missing on our O-line since guys like Harvey Dahl left.  He would come in and instantly compete with Sambrailo.
  • 152 - Lamont Gaillard, IOL Georgia
    • Gaillard would immediately become the heir apparent to Mack and would give us depth/competition at both guard spots.  He is another "dirt dog" mentality guy (as NFL.com described him) that would bring some sorely missing attitude to our o-line.
  • 172 - Foster Moreau, TE LSU
    • Moreau would come in and instantly compete for our blocking TE role.  He does offer some ability to catch the ball and is favorably compared to Logan Paulsen.
  • 186 - Devine Ozigbo, RB Nebraska
    • Ozigbo is an explosive, powerful downhill runner that would provide some good  competition for RB depth.  He runs with surprising power, which would offer a nice change of pace.
  • 230 - KeeSean Johnson, WR Fresno State
    • Johnson is a big bodied, smooth WR who has a knack for winning on jump balls and contested catches underneath.  He probably wouldn't get a whole lot of playing time this year, but he could be a potential replacement for Sanu in 2020.  

Would you be happy with this outcome?

If it went down like this, I couldn't be too upset.  There's a few other players I would rather have at # 14 (DE Brian Burns), but they will be long-gone without a trade ---  

Edited by FalconJim

1 hour ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Nicely stroked.

Thanks.  I was trying to fill current needs/depth while also considering who could step up and really help us at premium $$$ positions while on cheap rookie deals.

I think  all of them could come in and immediately compete..  and the first 6 have potential to be starters by the 2020 season.  

6 hours ago, PutMeInCoach said:

The best one I've seen this far!!!! Love it.... 

Thanks! Like I said, I do one a day and think this is one of the strongest I have ended up with.

PutMeInCoach likes this

I don’t like your second rounder, but I love the draft and honestly think if the FS position is on, the corner may actually look fantastic.

10 hours ago, Knight of God said:

I don’t like your second rounder, but I love the draft and honestly think if the FS position is on, the corner may actually look fantastic.

I would have preferred Ya-sin but he went shortly before our pick.  There were some other CBs I considered too but took Love because I felt the rest were more 3rd round worthy.

27 minutes ago, pa_falcon_fan said:

I would have preferred Ya-sin but he went shortly before our pick.  There were some other CBs I considered too but took Love because I felt the rest were more 3rd round worthy.

I want no parts of Ya Sin

vel likes this

7 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

Solid.  

But Don’t we have enough blocking tight ends?  

We do, but if we could replace one of them with a younger, cheap rookie that will fill that role for the next few years I think it is worth a late round pick.

VTCrunkler likes this

1 minute ago, Knight of God said:

Bunting would be fine

He was in consideration.. and he went shortly before our 3rd round pick in the way the mock played out.   I like Bunting too but think 2nd round is a round too early for him.  But that is just my take.  I could have swapped out Love for Bunting and it wouldn't have changed the rest of the draft.

Knight of God likes this

5 minutes ago, pa_falcon_fan said:

He was in consideration.. and he went shortly before our 3rd round pick in the way the mock played out.   I like Bunting too but think 2nd round is a round too early for him.  But that is just my take.  I could have swapped out Love for Bunting and it wouldn't have changed the rest of the draft.

I don’t get it. Bunting is better than Ya Sin