Cole World

Falcons signs Safety J.J. Wilcox

100 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

So you're saying we might ACTUALLY win a preseason game after 2 seasons?

Neat.

No not.saying that at all. Saying their will be a lot of interesting guys to come out of this camp.after first cut to watch.

BoomGoesTheDynamite likes this

Expect the unexpected with TD and the FO. Brace yourself we don't know what is going to happen. All these MOCKS and experts . . .smh. I'm ready for this weekend to get here.

16 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Because Trufant is likely gone next year.

If TD is looking for Trufant's replacement right now by using our 1st or 2nd round picks to draft a CB, then TD needs to go before he can do any more damage to this franchise.

TD paid a high price in draft picks to draft Trufant, then he re-signed him to this contract.  If those were bad decisions, then TD just needs to go.  Before Ryan and Julio and Mack's years run out.

1 hour ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

Makes sense when you think about last season.

They didn’t have viable backups at several positions.

They are covering their bases just in case Allen or Neal have any set backs. 

Nothing wrong with good veteran depth...

Absolutely 

Sun Tzu 7 likes this

23 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

If TD is looking for Trufant's replacement right now by using our 1st or 2nd round picks to draft a CB, then TD needs to go before he can do any more damage to this franchise.

TD paid a high price in draft picks to draft Trufant, then he re-signed him to this contract.  If those were bad decisions, then TD just needs to go.  Before Ryan and Julio and Mack's years run out.

We drafted Alfords replacement last year in the 2nd.

It's what the Pats do instead of relying on rookies.

1 hour ago, vel said:

Exactly. He's a safety that actually can play the position. Not Richards. I can live with that. 

Yep. I think that's where DQ missed and he said as much when he underestimated the guys on the roster after the injuries. 

Yep. Not going there again. Also shows Quinn knows why the season was lost but isn’t making excuses for it. He’s just making sure it won’t happen again. 

25 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

Trufant's play declined after that collarbone injury. My guess is that he plays off the line the way he does because he doesn't want to have to jam a receiver at the line and risk re-aggravating that injury. Just my take. 

egoprime II likes this

35 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

No not.saying that at all. Saying their will be a lot of interesting guys to come out of this camp.after first cut to watch.

I figured. I was just trying to be funny.

Preseason wins really don't mean anything

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

39 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

LMAO at yall gettin hyped on these bottom feeder signings. Jordan Richards was more productive and had a better PFF rating than dude. Go ahead and TATF though.

Richards was trash and no PFF mumbo jumbo will convince me otherwise.

Garland was a top 15 OG according to PFF. They're a piece of the puzzle at best.

FalconBlood, Cole World and vel like this

47 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

LMAO at yall gettin hyped on these bottom feeder signings. Jordan Richards was more productive and had a better PFF rating than dude. Go ahead and TATF though.

Nobody is hyped. It’s just a good depth signing. These signings also help solidify special teams. By all means tell us who is available to sign of your liking? In your mind it’s if you have Deion Sanders we should sign Rod Woodson as his backup. If Ronnie Lott is the safety Ed Reed should be the backup. On no team do they have a starter in place and sign a other player that wants to start and demands starter money. It just doesn’t work that way. I feel better so far about this season than I did last year with the depth. We were light in the @ss. 

2 hours ago, egoprime II said:

I know Vel, and I'm one of those who complained about -so- many contracts coming due, which also did not take into account the four vets the team ended up cutting.   I already knew we would not (and did not -need- to) re-sign -all- of them, ok....still, the ones we have signed, plus the new vets incoming take up a hefty amount of our cap space.

One day the need/desire for veteran depth is going to cost us a star player.  That day very well may be next offseason.  As things stand, Beasley, Jarrett, Deion Jones, Hooper and Cambell will -all- be up for new contracts, next year....plus Keanu Neal will be up for -HIS- option year.  IF some of these players leave how will they be replaced?  Probably with draft picks.

So what I am saying, is....use draft picks for our depth, now....so we can use our money for our star players, now and later.   Instead of being nickel and dimed by signing all these vets to one year deals to add depth to our roster.

I agree and disagree. Signing a guy like Wilcox now saves us from having to reach for a depth safety because it's a need. Use the draft picks to get the very best talent you possibly can. A guy like Kazee is a prime example: he was "depth" initially but had the talent to develop into a true ballhawk. Get those guys. But you need a guy like a Wilcox in case shlt hits the fan and you need a proven player to step up. These are bottom of the roster players. At the end of the day, it's really about "who's your best 45?" and we have a very solid core. 

egoprime II and Schwarzwald like this

4 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

Quinn has already said Kazee is NB and Allen is FS.

I have trust in Quinn, Just will believe that when Allen is back at full game speed once the real bullets start flying.

And keep in mind, this is the Same coach that thought it was a good idea to put Beasley in coverage and then had to move him back so he is not above moving people around.

3 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Agree. If.Rico is a go I like him better at nb, and keep KZ at f.s. 

This is why I was saying. On paper it's sounds good to say a guy can't loose his position to injury. In reality not so much.

16 minutes ago, vel said:

I agree and disagree. Signing a guy like Wilcox now saves us from having to reach for a depth safety because it's a need. Use the draft picks to get the very best talent you possibly can. A guy like Kazee is a prime example: he was "depth" initially but had the talent to develop into a true ballhawk. Get those guys. But you need a guy like a Wilcox in case shlt hits the fan and you need a proven player to step up. These are bottom of the roster players. At the end of the day, it's really about "who's your best 45?" and we have a very solid core. 

45?

2 hours ago, egoprime II said:

What?? That’s exactly what he should do. Would save us $22 million in 2021/2022 that will be needed elsewhere. 2nd round is a good spot. More damage to this franchise? You lost me.

HouseofEuphoria likes this

2 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

45?

Probably referring to 7-8 players that are inactive on game day.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

This is why I was saying. On paper it's sounds good to say a guy can't loose his position to injury. In reality not so much.

I remember Rick doing pretty.well.at nb a few seasons back. Imo we need a rangy ball hawk at fs. While Kazee doesn't have elite speed, his instincts make him that rangy

centerfielder that has a nose for the ball. We desperately need turnovers and I don't see. Kazee able to provide those as well from the nickle.

Edited by ATLSlobberKnockers
Ezekiel 25:17 likes this

3 minutes ago, jfalconsp said:

What?? That’s exactly what he should do. Would save us $22 million in 2021/2022 that will be needed elsewhere. 2nd round is a good spot. More damage to this franchise? You lost me.

If trading up for Trufant was a bad deal, and handing an injured Trufant a bigger contract than Julio Jones was a bad move, and now we have to spend an early pick on bad deal Trufant, then TD has shown incompetence,and needs to be relieved. That's what the poster is saying.

egoprime II likes this

6 minutes ago, jfalconsp said:

Probably referring to 7-8 players that are inactive on game day.

Oh ok. Thought I had missed a rule change that no one was talking about.

vel likes this

37 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

I remember Rick doing pretty.well.at nb a few seasons back. Imo we need a rangy ball hawk at fs. While Kazee doesn't have elite speed, his instincts make him that fancy centerfielder that has a nose for the ball. We desperately need turnovers and I don't see. Kazee able to provide those as well from the nickle.

His ranginess makes up for the elite speed, which Rico does not have. However, Allen has a much better grasp of the defense so it makes for a potentially interesting competition.