hjerry

Which One Piece Would Most Put Our Defense Over The Top

What top tier defender at what position will most put our defense over the top?   122 members have voted

1. 1. What top tier defender at what position will most put our defense over the top?

• A DL "Gap Penetrator"
    • A Tough big body NT type
    • A "Michael Bennett type" Edge rusher who can move inside
    • A "speedy" bend around the edge type rusher
    • A top tier WLB
    • A  "rangy" top tier FS
    • A top coverage CB
    • other

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

99 posts in this topic

Basically, what the title says, if we had who we thought could be/become top tier in this defense (those last 3 words are important) at nearly every position on defense sitting there at 14, who would you pick and why?

Which position, if picked, would most put this defense over the top?
A DL "Gap Penetrator"?
A Tough big body NT type?
A "Michael Bennett type" Edge rusher who can move inside?
A "speedy" bend around the edge type rusher?
A top tier WLB?
A top coverage CB?
A  "rangy" top tier Free Safety?

Note: I left out MLB and SS because I made these choices based off of who I generally see this board saying we need the most, the players that I most see people saying we need to get our defense over the hump. (Deion and Neal seem to be accepted as being satisfactory at their positions)

If you have another type that you really think that I should add to the poll, say so, and I will try to accommodate depending. 
Ergo Proxy, shock and duckhoa like this

How dare you call Keanu & Debo’s play merely “satisfactory”?!? These guys are potentially the tops of the elite at their positions for the next 5+ years. 

Anyways I’d say what we need most on D is a giant at NT who is talented enough that he can still play in our nickel defense and be effective. 

Tim Mazetti and camfalcon like this

Posted (edited)

To counter some of the other options and cement my choice as the correct one:

We already have a penetrating DT in Grady Jarrett. Unless you’re not expecting us to keep him long term.

We have 2 DE’s who are strong enough to move inside on passing downs in Takk & AC. 

And as for WLB & FS we got Beasley and Rico/Kazee. Although Kazee may have locked himself into our starting nickel corner, an important role in this D. 

Which leaves the only position we don’t have covered at all: a giant DT who can clog the middle on run downs and get some much needed push inside on passing downs. 

Edited by shock
Fernando C., Tim Mazetti and MAD597 like this

4 minutes ago, shock said:

To counter some of the other options and cement my choice as the correct one:

We already have a penetrating DT in Grady Jarrett. Unless you’re not expecting us to keep him long term.

We have 2 DE’s who are strong enough to move inside on passing downs in Takk & AC. 

And as for WLB & FS we got Beasley and Rico/Kazee. Although Kazee may have locked himself into our starting nickel corner, an important role in this D. 

Which leaves the only position we don’t have covered at all: a giant DT who can clog the middle on run downs and get some much needed push inside on passing downs. 

Beasley is not a solution to WLB. And Rico is nowhere near being a top tier rangy FS. He'll do his job but that's it. He's not gonna make plays. But we won't get beat deep, yay! Teams will just throw the seams.

8 minutes ago, Peyton said:

The fact that you can argue so many needs for the defense suggest their probably isn't one piece that is going to make it a top defense.

Adding An impact player (such as Devin White) + team staying healthy can definitely transform a young group like ours into a top echelon D. 

A top tier WLB would solidify the biggest weakness of our defensive scheme, the middle of the field. One of the most under-rated reasons that the Seahawks defense was so good is that they had one of the top LB combos in the league with KJ Wright and Bobby Wagner. 

Our scheme is really designed to stop the deep passes. We're already very good in that area. We could really use a "Michael Bennett" type DE/DT but an elite LB corp would help reduce middle of the field passes and the dump downs that are the biggest areas of concern for our defense.

8 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Beasley is not a solution to WLB. And Rico is nowhere near being a top tier rangy FS. He'll do his job but that's it. He's not gonna make plays. But we won't get beat deep, yay! Teams will just throw the seams.

Yeah, I'm not sure what he was getting at with that post.

PokerSteve and Yo_Lover like this

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Adding An impact player + team staying healthy can definitely transform a young group like ours into a top echelon D. 

It would be dependent on some seriously injured guys coming back and being what they were before they were injured. We'll see what happens.  Deion Jones can clean up a lot of problems with the defense, but top echelon?  I don't think this defense is going to be as good as 2017, but hopefully the offense is better than 2017.

Vandy likes this

12 minutes ago, Peyton said:

The fact that you can argue so many needs for the defense suggest their probably isn't one piece that is going to make it a top defense.

As it says in the OP, pick the one that would most improve our defense. 

Edit: Added it to title too

Yo_Lover likes this

I voted other because we are never one player away. We need a good wlb, good NT, and great back up FS. We also need DE but it's not a pressing need and whoever we pick likely will be a rotational player in their first year. 

2 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

I voted other because we are never one player away. We need a good wlb, good NT, and great back up FS. We also need DE but it's not a pressing need and whoever we pick likely will be a rotational player in their first year. 

lol, again, "most" improve our defense

I'm aware we are not one player away, nor am I suggesting that we are.

ATLFalcons11 and Artys Arryn like this

Since every option is probably a true need, I'm gonna go with the guys who can finish on a pass rush and guys that can actually tackle. But I chose CB just to be the odd ball

PokerSteve and vel like this

1 minute ago, Peyton said:

It would be dependent on some seriously injured guys coming back and being what they were before they were injured. We'll see what happens.  Deion Jones can clean up a lot of problems with the defense, but top echelon?  I don’t think this defense is going to be as good as 2017, but hopefully the offense is better than 2017.

Just curious....Why not? 

There are so many of those that would make a difference.

I think it comes most down to a DL penetrator or a Michael Bennett type.

Basically, right now teams can double Jarrett on pass plays.  An NT who goes out won't help that.  And our entire defense relies on getting pressure with the front 4.  That means we have to have a couple different guys who can consistently disrupt and beat their 1 on 1 matchups.

A 7 sack a year/tons of disruption DT would do that because him or Jarrett would be singled.

A 10 sack a year DE/DT hybrid would as well because he'd essentially play that interior DT on many pass downs, as well as giving a different "type" to play DE if we're going against an OT who has more trouble with strength than quickness.

I'd love a rangy FS or WLB, and we need another corner, but I think a DL who can get home consistently and cause disruption is the number one gamechanger for this d.

Dexter Lawrence would be the guy.. he is a NT but he can also provide some rush.. also free up Grady and keep Debo Clean.. he would have a impact in our 2 best players on defense.. so he would have the biggest impact.. also se would free our DE to go one on one... he is a very important piece we are missing for this defense... 

8 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

A top tier WLB would solidify the biggest weakness of our defensive scheme, the middle of the field. One of the most under-rated reasons that the Seahawks defense was so good is that they had one of the top LB combos in the league with KJ Wright and Bobby Wagner. 

Our scheme is really designed to stop the deep passes. We're already very good in that area. We could really use a "Michael Bennett" type DE/DT but an elite LB corp would help reduce middle of the field passes and the dump downs that are the biggest areas of concern for our defense.

What he said

2 minutes ago, hjerry said:

As it says in the OP, pick the one that would most improve our defense. 

Yeah I guess I was thrown by the term "over the top".  This defense doesn't have any players on it who have managed to perform at a high level consistently and avoid injury.  Certainly I am hoping they can be average or maybe above average this year, but 2018 was a gian step in the wrong direction in a lot of different ways for this defense.  Will be difficult to make it all up in one year.

vel and PokerSteve like this

7 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

There are so many of those that would make a difference.

I think it comes most down to a DL penetrator or a Michael Bennett type.

Basically, right now teams can double Jarrett on pass plays.  An NT who goes out won't help that.  And our entire defense relies on getting pressure with the front 4.  That means we have to have a couple different guys who can consistently disrupt and beat their 1 on 1 matchups.

A 7 sack a year/tons of disruption DT would do that because him or Jarrett would be singled.

A 10 sack a year DE/DT hybrid would as well because he'd essentially play that interior DT on many pass downs, as well as giving a different "type" to play DE if we're going against an OT who has more trouble with strength than quickness.

I'd love a rangy FS or WLB, and we need another corner, but I think a DL who can get home consistently and cause disruption is the number one gamechanger for this d.

I think Lawrence can be a NT that can generate some pressure.. and would free up Grady.. 

red falcon and Vandy like this

The weird part? You can make an argument we have each of these already:

A DL "Gap Penetrator"? - Grady Jarrett/Jack Crawford
A Tough big body NT type? - Tyeler Davison/Deadrin Senat
A "Michael Bennett type" Edge rusher who can move inside? - Takk McKinley/Adrian Clayborn
A "speedy" bend around the edge type rusher? - Vic Beasley
A top tier WLB? - None
A top coverage CB? - Desmond Trufant
A  "rangy" top tier Free Safety? - Damontae Kazee? 

No they don't have a top tier WLB, but all things considered, they most likely aren't going WLB at #14, since our nickel is still going to be the majority of snaps and we have our top two LBs in place. Largely, you have these things. It comes down to underperforming. Grady is a beast who should see as many pass rush opportunities as possible. Davison and Senat are your 1Ts. Takk and Clayborn have both been used as those edge guys with interior rush ability.

Vic SHOULD be the speedy edge guy. Trufant SHOULD be your top coverage guy. Kazee showed he can potentially grow into that rangy ball hawking FS. That's why it's so hard to lock down where they go and what's left to truly upgrade on defense and why DQ taking over that side of the ball is so crucial. It's not a lack of talent issue. 

2 minutes ago, vel said:

The weird part? You can make an argument we have each of these already:

A DL "Gap Penetrator"? - Grady Jarrett/Jack Crawford
A Tough big body NT type? - Tyeler Davison/Deadrin Senat
A "Michael Bennett type" Edge rusher who can move inside? - Takk McKinley/Adrian Clayborn
A "speedy" bend around the edge type rusher? - Vic Beasley
A top tier WLB? - None
A top coverage CB? - Desmond Trufant
A  "rangy" top tier Free Safety? - Damontae Kazee? 

No they don't have a top tier WLB, but all things considered, they most likely aren't going WLB at #14, since our nickel is still going to be the majority of snaps and we have our top two LBs in place. Largely, you have these things. It comes down to underperforming. Grady is a beast who should see as many pass rush opportunities as possible. Davison and Senat are your 1Ts. Takk and Clayborn have both been used as those edge guys with interior rush ability.

Vic SHOULD be the speedy edge guy. Trufant SHOULD be your top coverage guy. Kazee showed he can potentially grow into that rangy ball hawking FS. That's why it's so hard to lock down where they go and what's left to truly upgrade on defense and why DQ taking over that side of the ball is so crucial. It's not a lack of talent issue. 

Yup...Crazier things have happened. 

falconsd56 and Tim Mazetti like this

21 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Sure, but why would we replace a starter we already have on a long term deal when there are much bigger holes to fill.