E. T.

Braves at Reds

428 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Fried had a great quote last night when asked about his breakthrough so far. He said "I just realized that being the best version of me is plenty good enough." 

I wish Newcomb would come to that realization and stop the scared pitching.

You see I really don't think that's Newcomb's deal. He's been trying things to try to get better. Problem is, they've been worsening his strengths and failed once it got adjusted to and he's had no answer to the adjustments. 

What he tried after his rookie season was the take a little off on the fastball deal to gain more command. Pairing that with revealing a changeup worked while teams weren't used to that changeup. The problem is his fastball started getting less whiffs and more contact was allowed off of it with the take a little off deal and there wasn't enough spacing between it and the changeup with him trying to take off for command once teams figured out his changeup.

Honestly unless he can figure out how to mix in both the wild blow by fastball with the 'command' fastball without slowing down his arm action on the fastball, his ceiling as a pitcher is unlikely to be more than a number four stuff starter that teases ace potential at times when it all falls together for him. If he can't figure that out, he's better off going back to his 2017 and late last year self where he just says f*** it, throws heat that he can't command but gets back to missing bats while doing it, and is forever around a 3.8-4.2 ERA pitcher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Phillies are just 9-9 since the opening series. Emotions came down and so did the team. Braves are 11-7 since those days. 

That makes the sweep (especially the first two games) from Arizona even more frustrating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

Phillies are just 9-9 since the opening series. Emotions came down and so did the team. Braves are 11-7 since those days. 

But they loaded up while the braves just sat on their hands...................at least that is was I read here.

K26dp and Falconsfan567 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Braves are .5 games out of first! Very good possibility we'll be in first after tonight and sitting taller after this series with Cincy.

With our glaring needs on this team, it amazes me how we're hanging around. Goes to show the Braves are scrappy fighters, and I love that in my team!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bryce Harper's 0.4 WAR would rank near the bottom of the Braves normal lineup. McCann is 0.2 and Ender is -0.3. Everyone else in the regular lineup has a higher WAR. Even Culberson has a WAR of 0.3 just narrowly behind Harper.

Camargo and Ender have the worst at -0.2 and -0.3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

Bryce Harper's 0.4 WAR would rank near the bottom of the Braves normal lineup. McCann is 0.2 and Ender is -0.3. Everyone else in the regular lineup has a higher WAR. Even Culberson has a WAR of 0.3 just narrowly behind Harper.

Camargo and Ender have the worst at -0.2 and -0.3

Harper is so overrated. 

jidady likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to DOB, Newcomb is the likely starter for Thursday. It appears Wilson is here to eat innings out of the pen if needed. Newk will be given a chance to prove himself. Soroka and Newk are battling for the last rotation spot this week. The loser will go down for Folty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

According to DOB, Newcomb is the likely starter for Thursday. It appears Wilson is here to eat innings out of the pen if needed. Newk will be given a chance to prove himself. Soroka and Newk are battling for the last rotation spot this week. The loser will go down for Folty.

So stupid smh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

According to DOB, Newcomb is the likely starter for Thursday. It appears Wilson is here to eat innings out of the pen if needed. Newk will be given a chance to prove himself. Soroka and Newk are battling for the last rotation spot this week. The loser will go down for Folty.

 

15 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

So stupid smh

I actually don't think it's so stupid. Fair competition between Soroka and Newcomb. I think Soroka will win it because Newcomb can't stop walking people. Then we'll run Teheran, Fried, Gausman, Soroka, and Folty out there. I also think Bryse Wilson will pitch very well out of the bullpen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Unkn0wn said:

 

Yep!! He's been hitting the ball hard since day one. Amazing how he could be doing that and getting such crap thrown his way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

 

I actually don't think it's so stupid. Fair competition between Soroka and Newcomb. I think Soroka will win it because Newcomb can't stop walking people. Then we'll run Teheran, Fried, Gausman, Soroka, and Folty out there. I also think Bryse Wilson will pitch very well out of the bullpen.

Newk had all of last year and a couple starts this year. His walks are a problem. Until he learns control it's stupid to give him countless chances in the bigs imo. That's like keeping giving a RB the ball and he keeps fumbling. Trust is earned and not given 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, youngbloodz said:

Newk had all of last year and a couple starts this year. His walks are a problem. Until he learns control it's stupid to give him countless chances in the bigs imo. That's like keeping giving a RB the ball and he keeps fumbling. Trust is earned and not given 

Newcomb was lights out the first half of 2018 and should have been on the All-Star team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Unkn0wn said:

According to DOB, Newcomb is the likely starter for Thursday. It appears Wilson is here to eat innings out of the pen if needed. Newk will be given a chance to prove himself. Soroka and Newk are battling for the last rotation spot this week. The loser will go down for Folty.

Couldn't the loser be moved to the pen for more relief?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, E. T. said:

Couldn't the loser be moved to the pen for more relief?

They need to remain ready for potential injuries. I wouldnt trust Newcomb out of the pen anyway  

Falconsfan567 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we will end up with: Folty, Fried, Gausman, Teheran, and Soroka. A lot of "ifs", but I think that's going to be a good rotation. If Fried keeps it up, if Soroka can pitch well, if Teheran can be just even okay, this rotation will be fine.

Still want some pen help, but a good starting rotation can help your bullpen a good bit.

Just glad we have a game tonight. We've only had games on 2 of the past 5 days, and I'm itching for more haha. 

Falconsfan567 and Malachore like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Black Francis said:

Make note of the 6:40 start fellas. 

I'm glad you said something because I did not see that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now