32wood84white

Devin White

54 posts in this topic

I apologize if this has been talked about a ton, unless I overlooked it, I didn’t see any other threads about Devin White.

Am I one of few, or maybe many, that believes Devin White looks to be everything DQ and TD preaches about wanting in a player? 

I know they are called highlights for a reason but the guy is unbelievably explosive and certainly plays with an edge. 

Any chance he falls to 14? Any chance we are looking to supposedly move up to 8 and this actually be the pick?

And for fun, if Devin White is the pick, what ways would that change the D?

Has Devondre really showed anything in the way of rushing the passer to roll out a nickel package of:

Campbell Takk Grady Vic

DC could put his hand in the dirt or come off like a 3-4 OLB if we want to disguise  him dropping and bringing pressure elsewhere.

White and Deion to fly around and make plays side line to side line 

oliver Kazee Rico Keanu Tru on the back end. Keanu can come down and be an enforcer from the safety position or maybe you let Neal come down in the slot depending on who it is and let Kazee and Rico play over the top.

Im excited about White and think it may lead to a ton of flexibility for DQ but at the same time, how much more does needing a possible replacement for Grady or just another big time DT next to Grady mean for this team?

If you have the best player at a position available to you, it’s hard to complain. White, Greedy, Williams ...... They are the best players in the draft at their positions. I wouldn’t complain a bit if we pulled the trigger with that mindset.

1 hour ago, 32wood84white said:

What a LB at 14 would mean for the Falcons

It’s out there, but it could happen.

By Dave Choate Apr 20, 2019, 8:00am EDT

Okay, let’s get wild.

Who might the Falcons take?

One of the Devins. Devin White is an LSU linebacker, making him such a Dan Quinn pick that it almost cannot happen, and that’s before we even get to his athletic profile. White is fast, fluid, and has the makeup of a playmaker at the NFL level, even if his instincts and tackling lag behind. He could be—even should be—an impact player at the next level.

Bush is a more refined player, and his ability in coverage and agility would make him a deeply intriguing fit for the Falcons. He’s also flashed as a pass rusher in college at times, and the Falcons can always use more help there.

Beyond that, I’d be hard-pressed to see the Falcons going with a linebacker at 14, and we’re already way out in unlikely territory to begin with.

What does it mean for the roster in 2019?

You would expect to see the Falcons trotting out three linebackers more often, I’d wager, as there’s no real reason to believe they’re eager to get De’Vondre Campbell’s physicality off the field. Campbell, Deion Jones and either White or Bush would be a formidable, athletic group, and Foye Oluokun is a great insurance policy in any case. The Falcons would be a more capable run defense with that much speed on the field, for certain, but Bush and Jones in particular would be potent enough in coverage that the Falcons might be willing to test out true 4-3 fronts more often, even if it got Damontae Kazee off the field more often.

What does it mean long-term?

Interesting things. The Falcons are coming up on an extension for Campbell, who has been a quality starter the team will certainly try to extend. The addition of a linebacker at 14 would crowd the depth chart, obviously, and it might make the Falcons more willing to explore life without Campbell.

The bigger question might be how they feel about Foye Oluokun, who just turned in an impressive rookie campaign. This team plays nickel often enough that having four starting-caliber linebackers is a nice luxury but still a luxury, meaning Oluokun would have to be considered a true backup going forward—and Campbell comfortable with reduced playing time—to make this thing work. If the team did move on from Campbell, it’d be Jones, the rookie, and Oluokun going forward.

Considering linebacker is in good shape and Campbell shouldn’t break the bank, though, linebacker still would be a surprising pick.

What are the opportunity costs?

Everything I wrote about defensive tackle and cornerback, basically. The Falcons have bigger fish to fry than linebacker, and while adding a potentially elite player to the corps would certainly improve this defense, it would leave them looking for immediate and long-term help at defensive end, right tackle, defensive tackle, cornerback, and safety with subsequent picks that have lower success rates. It also creates a logjam at the position this year, where the Falcons are loaded with talent and depth options, though I’m wagering that they’d clear out plenty of playing time at the expense of Oluokun and perhaps Campbell if they made this kind of investment.

Unless they’re worried about losing Campbell next year, though, the costs would appear to outweigh the immediate benefits. Defensive end is going to be hollowed out again to start next offseason, defensive tackle will be shedding a couple of useful players if the Falcons don’t re-sign them, cornerback is still a position of priority given that the team won’t stop talking about it, and tackle remains the one position the Falcons could probably slam dunk upgrade in the draft.

Should the Falcons do it?

I’d lean toward no. Bush in particular and White to a lesser degree could be great, and obviously adding an elite linebacker next to Deion Jones would make this defense a gigantic pain in the butt to deal with. From that perspective, it’s a justifiable pick, and nobody should be shocked if Dan Quinn’s deep and enduring love of linebackers wins the day if one of those guys is available at 14.

But the Falcons can’t abandon needs-based drafting entirely just because they signed some useful depth options for a year or two, as they well know. That first round draft pick could be a five-plus year solution at a position, and the Falcons could certainly use more talent at linebacker but not to the extent they need it at, say, right tackle or defensive end. I still expect them to sink a pick into the trenches when all is said and done, but DQ’s lust for athleticism and speed at linebacker and the team’s post-draft ties to top players in 2018 suggest we shouldn’t rule this one out entirely.

jas82487 and duckhoa like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, KCartledge85 said:

If you have the best player at a position available to you, it’s hard to complain. White, Greedy, Williams ...... They are the best players in the draft at their positions. I wouldn’t complain a bit if we pulled the trigger with that mindset.

Can easily a argue that Bush is better than white, and Baker is better than Williams. 

Edited by ATLSlobberKnockers
Tim Mazetti and FA91 like this

1 hour ago, 32wood84white said:

I apologize if this has been talked about a ton, unless I overlooked it, I didn’t see any other threads about Devin White.

Am I one of few, or maybe many, that believes Devin White looks to be everything DQ and TD preaches about wanting in a player? 

I know they are called highlights for a reason but the guy is unbelievably explosive and certainly plays with an edge. 

Any chance he falls to 14? Any chance we are looking to supposedly move up to 8 and this actually be the pick?

Has Devondre really showed anything in the way of rushing the passer to roll out a nickel package of:

Campbell Takk Grady Vic

DC could put his hand in the dirt or come off like a 3-4 OLB if we want to disguise  him dropping and bringing pressure elsewhere.

White and Deion to fly around and make plays side line to side line 

oliver Kazee Rico Keanu Tru on the back end. Keanu can come down and be an enforcer from the safety position or maybe you let Neal come down in the slot depending on who it is and let Kazee and Rico play over the top.

Im excited about White and think it may lead to a ton of flexibility for DQ but at the same time, how much more does needing a possible replacement for Grady or just another big time DT next to Grady mean for this team?

Me and several others have been on the Devin White bandwagon since the off season started. He is a beast. I honestly think he's the third best player in this draft trailing only Bosa and QWill. Many of the experts have him going 5th to TB.

11 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Me and several others have been on the Devin White bandwagon since the off season started. He is a beast. I honestly think he's the third best player in this draft trailing only Bosa and QWill. Many of the experts have him going 5th to TB.

Tb is definitely drafting White at 5 you can bank on it.

ZoneOne01, Vandy and Drew4719 like this

47 minutes ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Can easily a argue that Bush is better than white, and Baker is better than Williams. 

Folks can easily argue a lot of stuff, but doesn’t make them right...:ninja:

2 hours ago, Knight of God said:

I like Bush somewhat better 

1 hour ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

I think they're close physically, but White gets the edge to me due to productivity. He's ranked higher on just about every big board. Pretty close though:

Bush - 5'11", 234 lbs, 9.63" hands, 32.00" arms, 4.43 forty, 21 bench reps, 6.93 3-Cone, 40.5" vertical, 10'4" broad jump, 32 games, 172 tackles, 18.5 TFLs, 10.0 sacks, 1 INT, 11 PDs, 0 FFs, 0 FRs

White - 6'0", 237 lbs, 9.75" hands, 32.13" arms, 4.42 forty, 22 bench reps, 7.07 3-Cone, 39.5" vertical, 9'10" broad jump, 34 games, 286 tackles, 28.5 TFLs, 8.5 sacks, 1 INT, 9 PDs, 3 FFs, 4 FRs

I'd be happy with either, but White is my favorite. I think he's got a slightly higher ceiling.

47 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

They'd be crazy not to. Him and Lavonte would make a stout tandem.

Especially in this division with freakin Kamara, Cmac and Newton. Speed in your front seven is absolutely necessary.

I remember the impact debo had on our defense in 16'. Something is telling me we need another dose of that and then take advantage of the deep mid round DL prospects by going bpa in 2-4.

FalconFanSince1970 likes this

49 minutes ago, Vandy said:

TB should, but they should have drafted Derwin James last year too...

Lol I'm so glad they didn't..it just made too much sense as he was literally right in their backyard but it's TB so I'm not surprised.

Vandy likes this

Watching Devin white highlights made me realize if we get super lucky and coach q really buckles down on duke Riley's development & he picks up his play.. He may one day in the far future  become what devin white already is.. 

2 minutes ago, IfTheBirdsCouldTalk said:

Watching Devin white highlights made me realize if we get super lucky and coach q really buckles down on duke Riley's development & he picks up his play.. He may one day in the far future  become what devin white already is.. 

I dunno bro. Sometimes you just dont have it.  I hope im wrong though.

Just now, red falcon said:

I dunno bro. Sometimes you just dont have it.  I hope im wrong though.

I think we all realized last year Duke was never gonna be the Robin to Debos Batman.. I dont think he has it either.. Career special teamer.. Like you I hope im wrong tho too

red falcon likes this