g-dawg

AJC / DLED article; Should Falcons Trade Up to #3 overall for DT Williams or Oliver?

77 posts in this topic

https://www.ajc.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/should-falcons-fly-get-williams-oliver/SAzaZl6E7Pvpq8deVTpYzN/

Should Falcons fly up to No. 3 to get Williams or Oliver? 

Atlanta Falcons Blog 

By 

Like death and taxes, one thing is certain about the coming NFL draft, which is set for Thursday through Saturday in Nashville.

Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff is going to make a trade. He’s made at least one trade in each of his past 10 drafts.

His biggest deal was the one when he jetted up 21 spots from 27 to 6 to get in position to draft wide receiver Julio Jones.

The Jets, who need a pass rusher, are trying to dump the third pick in the draft, according to a report by highly respected New York writer Ralph Vacchiano. 

Here’s what he wrote: 

“According to multiple NFL sources, the Jets seem "determined" to trade down in the first round of the NFL Draft, which begins on Thursday in Nashville. Jets GM Mike Maccagnan has made it clear several times that he's "open" to the idea, though he may be downplaying just how open to it he actually is.

"They seem to really, really want to move down," said one NFL executive. "Maybe they're just keeping their options open, but it sure seems like that No. 3 pick is for sale."

If the Falcons move up to No. 3, they could add Alabama defensive tackle Quinnen Williams or Houston defensive tackle Ed Oliver.

On the draft trade value chart, the Jets pick is worth 2,200 points. The Falcons’ pick is worth 1,110 points. The Falcons would have to swap their first, second, third and next year’s second to make up the 1,100 points. 

They would leave the Falcons with two fourth-round picks, two fifths, sixth and a seventh. 

“I think 14 is a really great place to be,” Dimitroff said Thursday. “I think it gives you opportunities (to move) up and down. Last year, we were dabbling into discussions right in the middle of the round. It’s kind of a ripe place for discussion. You’re giving away a lot to move up in to the tens, the top 10 for sure.”

Would that be worth it to get Williams or Oliver? 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/04/19/report-jets-determined-to-trade-down/

Honestly I just don’t see it we can still get what we need by staying pat.

Sure it’s elite talent your going for but too me it feels like it’s all in when in all we don’t need to do that.

I mean if we got say one of those OTs and a Lawrence or Wilkins by moving back in the first I think team building wise I think we’d be better off doing that from a team stand point.

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Honestly I just don’t see it we can still get what we need by staying pat.

Sure it’s elite talent your going for but too me it feels like it’s all in when in all we don’t need to do that.

I mean if we got say one of those OTs and a Lawrence or Wilkins by moving back in the first I think team building wise I think we’d be better off doing that from a team stand point.

I don't think you move that far up in this draft. Maybe to #5 or #6 but no higher...#3 sounds like just more hype fuel.

AND if you made any of those moves; you pretty much are "going all in for a SB" draft style. Should've won 2 with Julio already...

If that gave us a level of DL we haven't seen since DQ has been here and as long as the OL plans so far pan out? Yeah, I might do it. Could put us over the top with injured guys returning, coaching changes, and the FA we had.

Sure, it places a LOT of stress on nailing your remaining 4th and 5th round picks; in the proposed scenario...as you'll need them to contribute like 2nd and 3rd rounders eventually when roster overturn comes due or risk a falloff in 'window efficiency' without FA helping bridge you.

However, it's all about the risk/reward. We'd all probably be good if it got us a pass rush/LOS overhaul that netted a maximized window. Given the defenders coming due, we need to make things count now and also draft well.

You might be more mediocre / average D again if you sit and those picks don't turn out as dynamic or ever produce compared to the ceiling of QW or EO.

If they move up for a top 10 pick, it'll still signal they want their guy. I like it. If it's egregious of a move it's SB trophy or bust. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean you win the SB with that player doing well but that'd be the goal.

I think there is certainly a cut off and I'd still be shocked if we moved into the Top 5. Slots 6-10 I'll buy that as more of a palatable range as a fan.

Edited by Ergo Proxy
g-dawg, egoprime II and vitaman like this

For Williams yes for Oliver no and i like Oliver alot but im not giving up that much for any player not named  Bosa, Allen, or Q. Williams who i think are the 3 true elite defenders coming out.  Oliver is a bad man himself but i think he is the start of that next tier down that is Oliver, Wilkins, Sweat, and Simmons when healthy.

vitaman, Stryka, NeonDeion and 2 others like this

Stopped reading at

“The Falcons would have to swap their first, second, third and next year’s second to make up the 1,100 points.”

Once Ryan retires, we can make such a costly trade to find a franchise QB.  That’s it

Swap 1st round picks, give them a 2nd, 4th and Vic Beasley

23 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Stopped reading and formulated my opinion at

“The Falcons would have to swap their first, second, third and next year’s second to make up the 1,100 points.”

Once Ryan retires, we can make such a costly trade to find a franchise QB.  That’s it

Swap 1st round picks, give them a 2nd, 4th and Vic Beasley

Trade chart is starting point but depend on many factors

Stryka likes this

6 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Trade chart is starting point but depend on many factors

Maybe it’s just me but that chart is bs. The draft is mostly an educated crap shoot. No way I’m trading 4 picks for 1. 

7 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Don’t think it’s a coincidence that all of a sudden the Jets are interested in Oliver.

The other 31 teams must really be sold on Falcons wanting Oliver.

The more and more hype around this gives me a feeling Oliver may not be the Falcons target at all.

If they move up to 3, I think it will be because either Bosa or Williams.

Bigbenright likes this

Just now, DawnOfThemBirds said:

The more and more hype around this gives me a feeling Oliver may not be the Falcons target at all.

If they move up to 3, I think it will be because either Bosa or Williams.

Yeah I love Oliver but wouldn’t go to #3 for him.  I might for Quinnen though.

Bigbenright likes this

3 hours ago, Osiruz said:

No thanks, I'd rather package those 2 4th round picks and move up to the late 3rd round and pick up someone like Jimmy Mooreland or Khalen Saunders if there.

I’m on board with Khalen Saunders 

Embrace the suck likes this

Posted (edited)

Imo our biggest need is game changing pass rusher. We have one guy we can consistently rely on in Grady. We need another consistent threat. You aren't winning in this predominantly passing leauge without a good pass rush and unless Beasley takes a huge step foward we don't have one. 

So I'd be willing to give up is a 1st, 2nd, 4th and next years 3rd.

Give me Quinnen or Oliver. 

Ideally you trade alot less to move up for Oliver if you feel he gets to 7 or 8. 

Edited by Bobby.Digital

2 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

DLine depth we already have ;)

Granted. I can dig it. We want PRODUCTION.

I rank the 1st rounders as:

Williams

Oliver

Wilkins

2nd Rounders as:

Lawrence

Tillery

Simmons (Red-Shirt, no love in 2019)

Omenihu

Jones

Wren

Everybody else 3rd and beyond.

If Lawrence falls to 5th or 6th in the 2nd teams will be making stupid trades to try and get him and we may as well but I hope we do not. Either way Omenihu and Wren SCREAM DQ (Size/quick twitch/versatility) and will be there. These are PRODUCTIVE players that are right there. You could go DE here with Winovich/Miller/Walker/Allen) and still get quality production.

Right?