kiwifalcon

Dabo interview.

47 posts in this topic

Dex is a top 5 talent.  Not simply a two down run stuffer.  He played injured all 2017 and Last year was asked to occupy multiple blockers because of all the talent around him

His freshman season was special.  62 Tackles, 9 TFL and 6.5 sacks at NT.  Projected as #1 overall pick this year.  Only red flag is health

Vandy and PokerSteve like this

4 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

I've been liked Lawrence.

He could be what Akiem Hicks or Fletcher Cox are to their teams.

Or gerald mccoy

I definitely feel like Dex could be the guy at 14... But I also feel like if we were to trade down he can still be a falcon. Unless we take Baker at 14 and trade up to get Dex

Falconsin2012 and red falcon like this

Posted (edited)

I've said it many times and will keep saying it...I like either Wilkins or Lawrence at 14.  Wilkins cause he's always been good and even when the other guys were off the field, he was still making plays.  Great story and other than the "balls" grabbing episode a couple years ago, he's been upstanding in every way.   Lawrence however is the best fit for what I think DQ wants to do...free up Grady and still have a guy who has a good chance of getting home but will at least not be moved as well as keep our LBs clean.

The more film I watch on Oliver the more risk I see in him at 14 let alone a trade up.  He won so much on being a better athlete that it worries me but if he ever learned to use his hands better and string together a set of moves, he will be Aaron Donald but he could be the DT equivalent of Vic Beasley if he doesn't and is still depending on athleticism to win. 

Edited by Monolith2001

6 minutes ago, GATXBOI said:

I definitely feel like Dex could be the guy at 14... But I also feel like if we were to trade down he can still be a falcon. Unless we take Baker at 14 and trade up to get Dex

I'm starting to think we'd miss out on him if we traded back. Read something today/yesterday that said teams are much higher on him than the media is and he could go way before they are projecting him.

PokerSteve and red falcon like this

3 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

I've said it many times and will keep saying it...I like either Wilkins or Lawrence at 14.  Wilkins cause he's always been good and even when the other guys were off the field, he was still making plays.  Great story and other than the "balls" grabbing episode a couple years ago, he's been upstanding in every way.   Lawrence however is the best fit for what I think DQ wants to do...free up Grady and still have a guy who has a good chance of getting home but will at least not be moved as well as keep our LBs clean.

The more film I watch on Oliver the more risk I see in him at 14 let alone a trade up.  He won so much on being a better athlete that it worries me but if he ever learned to use his hands better and string together a set of moves, he will be Aaron Donald but he could be the DT equivalent of Vic Beasley if he doesn't and is still depending on athleticism to win. 

I honestly think the "get fat" mantra of this off-season doesn't end at the oline. Even though we have a 53 man roster in the DT room at the moment, I could see Dexter as our pick.

31 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Dex is a top 5 talent.  Not simply a two down run stuffer.  He played injured all 2017 and Last year was asked to occupy multiple blockers because of all the talent around him

His freshman season was special.  62 Tackles, 9 TFL and 6.5 sacks at NT.  Projected as #1 overall pick this year.  Only red flag is health

That’s a telling paragraph your first one and I asked that question about Lawrence a month ago because I can see how he’d be used as a foil here to release guys around him.

Effectively making those around him better.

I also wondered what the coaches value more when rushing.Having 4 straight beaters rushing the passer or a guy who can do both or make it easier for those around him.

I believe if they took Lawrence at 14 they’ll value the making players around him better as there answer.

1 minute ago, kiwifalcon said:

That’s a telling paragraph your first one and I asked that question about Lawrence a month ago because I can see how he’d be used as a foil here to release guys around him.

I also wondered what the coaches clue more when rushing 4 straight beaters rushing the passer or a guy who can do both or make it easier for those around him.

I believe if they took Lawrence at 14 they’ll value the making players around him better as thee answer.

With Lawrence and Grady inside & Vic and Takk on the edge, you’d see our twists and stunts start to get home.  Dex will also keep our speedy linebackers clean to shoot gaps and make plays closer to the LOS.  

Of all the possible prospects, Dex makes the most sense.  He or D White would have the most immediate impact on our roster 

PokerSteve and red falcon like this

21 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I also wondered what the coaches clue more when rushing 4 straight beaters rushing the passer or a guy who can do both or make it easier for those around him.

I believe if they took Lawrence at 14 they’ll value the making players around him better as thee answer.

Yep

Lawrence will come into the league already demanding double teams because of his athletic ability at his size.

He may have to draw 3 blockers on him once he really puts it all together.

21 minutes ago, The O.D.B said:

I'm starting to think we'd miss out on him if we traded back. Read something today/yesterday that said teams are much higher on him than the media is and he could go way before they are projecting him.

In the Dabo link you can click down to the Charley Casserly interview where he discusses all three - he’s higher on Wilkins but he did say Lawrence’s range was #14-32.

Casserley the former Skins and Texans GM knows tons of scouts and GMs - don’t think for a second he randomly through out #14, which just happens to be Falcons pick.

If we take Lawrence over Wilkins, I pray to God that is the right move.

PokerSteve likes this

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

In the Dabo link you can click down to the Charley Casserly interview where he discusses all three - he’s higher on Wilkins but he did say Lawrence’s range was #14-32.

Casserley the former Skins and Texans GM knows tons of scouts and GMs - don’t think for a second he randomly through out #14, which just happens to be Falcons pick.

Yep, I grew up in the DC area during the Gibb's era (the 1st one) so I know who Charlie is very well. He's one of the 3 or so I really trust when he speaks.

I agree in that I hope we are right if we take him. I was digging through his vids the other day to see what he does on specific downs. IE; does he stay home on 1st and 2nd and then rush on 3rd. I don't think I watched enough to see anything conclusive other than, when he rushes, the pocket moves a lot.

I am terrified of Sambrailo sucking the life out of this season. A RT sounds dandy. Jarrett is special. Davison sounds like a big upgrade on what we had before. I think Senat will improve a lot. Crawford really broke out. Hageman is a nifty wildcard. I just want two bookend tackles who can keep Matt upright.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Fair call Dawg I understand your angst.

Though I know Casserly is a reputable source I have to say Dabos word carries more weight for me because he’s been with Lawrence and those others for 3 plus years he’s seen these guys grow into what they are.

I think we have a pretty decent fast 4 if they add Lawrence or Wilkins into this mix I think we are in a good spot.

I’ll borrow my man KOGs take on this we don’t off load the talent we stack it and that’s in regards to the resigning of Grady Jarrett also who in my eyes is very important to this mix.

14 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I feel like no one exactly knows what Dex has in pass rush.  I certainly don't.

You'd think with his athleticism, his crazy long arms, and his size (even if he dropped to 320) he'd have to have the tools to get home some, but that's the big question mark. 

Would love to talk to 5 scouts about what they think he can do on 3rd down.

I believed the “2 down player” mantra with Danny Shelton and Vita Vea. Not once have I believed this mantra with Dexter Lawrence. His pass rush isn’t that of Aaron Donald, Grady Jarrett, or his own Clemson teammate Christian Wilkins, but his pass rush is being underrated. 

The best offenses in the NFL aren’t only focused on converting 3rd down. They’re focused on converting and scoring on 1st & 2nd downs. The best offenses are also balanced. How awesome it would be to limit an offense to a 1 yd gain on 1st & 10 and then not much of anything on 2nd down; and now that offense faces 3rd & 7 instead of 3rd & 1. Oh, and I’d definitely want Lawrence on the line on 3rd down with 1-3 yards as well. 

Shuttig down the run game, taking away an offense’s ability to have balance, forcing more 3rd and longs, providing MUCH use for short yardage 3rd downs, and also being able to neutralize the risk of those pesky draw plays makes Lawrence awesome. The man is a mammoth of a man who can straight up move. Vic, Takk, Crawford, Grady, and Clayborn are supposed to be our pass rush. Maybe Dex, Davison, Hageman, and a 2nd year Senat can really help those pass rusher this year by being the big hosses on the line. 

Think more along the lines of a Fletcher Cox or Akiem Hicks as already mentioned in another post above. 

For me is Lawrence or Wilkins at 14... I trust Dabo he said grady was the best piece on his defense the year we drafted him.. so I really trust him.. for me its going to go DT, CB then OT... that is the way i see It..

PokerSteve and kiwifalcon like this

1 hour ago, takeitdown said:

I feel like no one exactly knows what Dex has in pass rush.  I certainly don't.

You'd think with his athleticism, his crazy long arms, and his size (even if he dropped to 320) he'd have to have the tools to get home some, but that's the big question mark. 

Would love to talk to 5 scouts about what they think he can do on 3rd down.

I think you’ll get the same take from the scouts.

Like CTanns post alludes to some of those stats aren’t going to do Lawrence justice.Moving the pocket is a big thing and Lawrence’s length is a real telling sign here.

If any of you noticed the pro-day footage.

Watch the drill where Wilkins and Lawrence are pushing the pad with the guy wearing the breast pad you notice when Wilkins explodes into the bag the guy with the pad can still get hands on Wilkins.When Lawrence does the above mentioned the length of Lawrence comes to play he shoots his hands with his leverage the coach wearing the breast pad can’t get a hand on Lawrence meaning Lawrence owns and has complete control of his opponent.

Then go back and look at Clemson game film on passing downs Lawrence lined up at 0 head up over the C it’s game over just about every down I saw Lawrence controlled his man either shed him or drove him where he wanted and moved the pocket and effected the play.

Length peeps Length throw in leverage at 340 lol game over.36 reps on the bench with 35’ long arms.

This is what bought me around about Lawrence.

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

I don't think their is a wrong move between those 2 i honestly see both of them having a very very good nfl career.  Even if one of the 2 ends up a little better than the other i don't think it will be enough to say we just screwed up tremendously as the other one will probably be right there close to him.

Knight of God and PokerSteve like this

7 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

I think you’ll get the same take from the scouts.

Like CTanns post alludes to some of those stats aren’t going to do Lawrence justice.Moving the pocket is a big thing and Lawrence’s length is a real telling sign here.

If any of you noticed the pro-day footage.

Watch the drill where Wilkins and Lawrence are pushing the pad with the guy wearing the breast pad you notice when Wilkins explodes into the bag the guy with the pad can still get hands on Wilkins.When Lawrence does the above mentioned the length of Lawrence comes to play he shoots his hands with his leverage the coach wearing the breast pad can’t get a hand on Lawrence meaning Lawrence owns and has complete control of his opponent.

Then go back and look at Clemson game film on passing downs Lawrence lined up at 0 head up over the C it’s game over just about every down I saw Lawrence controlled his man either shed him or drove him where he wanted and moved the pocket and effected the play.

Length peeps Length throw in leverage at 340 lol game over.36 reps on the bench with 35’ long arms.

This is what bought me around about Lawrence.

Yeah, if dex has 32 inch arms it wouldn’t be a question. 

The intriguing thing is the length and power. If you have that combo you can do a lot (if you take it seriously, learn well, etc)

but a lot of rushing is body control and loose hips and getting yourself skinny too. Just have no idea what if that he can do. If he’s as athletic as they say, you’d expect he could do some of that. 

I’ve never seen his agility drills have you?

still think he’d look way better at 325. 

kiwifalcon likes this