g-dawg

The Perfect Falcon Prospect - Zero Discussion

65 posts in this topic

If the Falcons had the #1 overall pick today - I think we all know who we would pick - hint: it’s not Ed Oliver but he does play the same position.

Quinnen Williams, DT - Alabama

Image result for quinnen williams beast

Of course the main reason he is not discussed is the price is thought to be prohibitive.  Obviously the cost is quite steep, but is it really prohibitive?  The dude is an absolute balls out monsta!!!

Below is link to NY Jets picks for 2019 - they lost their 2nd rounder last year when they moved up to take Sam Darnold.   They may want our 2nd rounder - I would balance the 2020 compensation w/ what we have to give up this year.   If they want our 1st in 2020, they aren't getting our 2nd rounder this year and vice-versa.

https://www.nj.com/jets/2018/05/here_are_jets_2019_nfl_draft_picks_how_many_select.html

Option#1:   NY Jets trade #1-003(2,200pts) to Atlanta Falcons for #1-014(1,100pts) + #2-045(450pts) + #4-117(60pts) + 2020 2nd rounder(400pts).   We would be giving Jets approximately 90% of trade chart with no discount for future pick.  They get their 2nd rounder back that was traded away last year and increase their picks for a new HC on a rebuilding team while also getting a leg up in 2020 with our 2nd rounder.

Option#2:  NY Jets trade #1-003(2,200pts) to Atlanta Falcons for #1-014(1,100pts) + 3-079(195pts) + 2020 1st (1,000pts).  Actually paying a little premium if not discounting the future pick.  Teams aren't really discounting the future picks like they used to.  Basically assumed a middle 1st round pick(#16)

I believe grabbing Quinnen would be EXACTLY what this defense needs.  He doesn’t have the size concerns of EO nor the perceived diva concerns @TDWII .

Grabbing the best player in this draft that could propel this defense into a Top 10 defense would be worth the draft capital given.   This kid has it all - quickness, power, moves, athleticism - he’s the best DT to come into the NFL since AD in 2014.

at TATF, we haven’t discussed Quinnen at all since our draft pick fell to #14.

I wouldn’t be shocked.   You know how DQ and TD love to play coy about their ultimate prize of their affection - they also love Bama players.   Quinnen is very clean off the field as well.   He's the total package.

If the trade I proposed went down, obviously next year wouldn't be fun but - it wouldn't be the end of the world either.   Getting an All-Pro type DT and Top 5 at his position in the League would be well worth it.

Option#2 - We would still have:

#1-003) (f/ NYJ) - Quinnen Williams

#1-014)  Traded to NY Jets

#2-045) - probably entertain trading down into later 2nd round to pick up a 3rd or 4th rounder.

#3-079)  Traded to NY Jets

#4-117)  

#4-137)

#5-152)

#5-172)

#6-186)

#7-230)

With one more trade-down from #45 - there would only be minimal damage to the rest of this draft - but the 1st pick is more than just "a starter" or "a solid player" - we get a kid that is a Day#1 potential superstar an ROY candidate.

TDN Scouting Report:

Quinnen Williams, DT-Alabama - 6'3", 303lbs,  4.83/40

Run Defense - Has superior strength to hold up at the point of attack and re-set the line of scrimmage. Dominates blockers one-on-one and holds his own against double teams which he faced frequently at Alabama. Diagnoses play concepts exceptionally well, plays through blocks and finds the football at a high level. Owns the line of scrimmage.

Pass Rush - Offers a supreme blend of power, explosion, flexibility and technique to attack gaps, defeat blocks and apply consistent heat on the quarterback. High variance in how he wins. Knows how to attack blocks and reads sets with sharp vision. Can string together moves with excellent timing and control. Puts tremendous stress on interior offensive lineman to not only anchor but move laterally to stay square. Can be a game-wrecker.

Effort - Plays with urgency and a lot of energy. Enthusiastic player with an unrelenting motor. Battles and looks to impose his will on opponents on every rep. Will occasionally pull up in pursuit to preserve energy but it's a minor gripe.

Hand Technique - Intentional about winning with first contact and controlling blocks with his hands. Easily disengages and dumps blockers in pursuit of the football. Has an endless variety of moves to shuck blocks. Rarely ever gets hung up on contact and knows how to split double teams.

Flexibility - Loose and fluid throughout his frame. Has no issues working around corners and beating blocks around the outside hip. Smooth, quick and easy change of direction skills. Works laterally with ease. Exceptionally gifted.

Play Strength - Features a stout anchor and isn't moved out of gaps. Reliable to maintain run fits but also brings the dynamic ability to unhinge from blocks and finish. Powerful anchoring against double teams. Physical finisher. Blockers have to work overtime and are even then unsuccessful at maintaining the depth of the pocket.

Play Speed - Pairs his dominant play strength with explosive burst. Fires out of his stance with naturally quick get off and works into the neutral zone. Has exceptional range. Often too quick for interior blockers to square up and he easily gets to their edges.

Lateral Movement - Naturally and with ease flows down the line of scrimmage defending zone/stretch runs. Sifts through contact and finds his way through and around blocks. There are not limitation in terms of mobility.

Versatility - Would thrive in any front but his skill set is maximized as a penetration-style three technique in an even front. Has been dominant when tasked with two-gapping duties in college. Offers game-changing playmaking ability as both a pass rusher and run defender. Scheme transcendent and highly versatile.

BEST TRAIT - Everything

WORST TRAIT - Experience

RED FLAGS - None

Quinnen Williams features the same toolbox of traits that we've seen in other recent Alabama defensive lineman but taken to another level across the board. He dominates with a rare blend of quickness, power, flexibility, processing skills and technique that make him primed for a sensational career as a standout playmaker. While his skill set is optimally suited to serve as a three-technique in a 4-3 alignment, Williams can lineup anywhere on the interior or even occasionally at 5-technique, making him a versatile defender. Williams has the upside to become one of the NFL's best defensive linemen and cornerstone of a franchise. He is worthy of a high selection in any draft.

Stryka, Tim Mazetti and Cole World like this

My Bama informant tells me he disappears alot in games.

He also tells me as boring as Jonah Williams is technique wise he has been found to be inconsistent.

Since I don’t watch alot of college football or watch Bama I defer to that colleges talent to this guys opinion who I respect alot.

If we are talking DTs Simmons has been guy from the jump.

OTs I’ve firmed on Jawaan Taylor > Cody Ford,the first mentioneds patience and watching things develop not jumping at the first thing he saw swung me.

Cole World likes this

4 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

My Bama informant tells me he disappears alot in games.

He also tells me as boring as Jonah Williams is technique wise he has been found to be inconsistent.

Since I don’t watch alot of college football or watch Bama I defer to that colleges talent to this guys opinion who I respect alot.

If we are talking DTs Simmons has been guy from the jump.

OTs I’ve firmed on Jawaan Taylor > Cody Ford,the first mentioneds patience and watching things develop not jumping at the first thing he saw swung me.

I'm a dawg but watched a lot of Bama games - I didn't see that at all.  While the Dawgs did keep him quiet for much of the game - he still had several impactful plays against us down the stretch - Dawgs had a Top 5 OL in 2018.   His stats prove he "doesn't go quiet" and Quinnen absolutely throttled LSU and destroyed them single-handedly.

We aren't taking Simmons.   DQ and TD aren't waiting a year for him to show up - by most accounts I read, Simmons will have to redshirt his rookie season.

Stryka and Doug Carlton like this

1 minute ago, Knight of God said:

I’d love to get him. He’s one of the very few in this draft that would change the whole defense. 

@kiwifalcon - I rest my case.  Our Bama Insider gives his endorsement - and, like me, he can be very critical of his team's players.

Quinnen could transform the Falcons defense.   Quinnen would make everyone on our DL a little better as he does his thing on the inside.  All that interior pressure will make QBs (Like Brees) uncomfortable, force them off their spots and make uncomfortable or hurried throws - if they aren't eating dirt altogether.

4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

@kiwifalcon - I rest my case.  Our Bama Insider gives his endorsement - and, like me, he can be very critical of his team's players.

Quinnen could transform the Falcons defense.   Quinnen would make everyone on our DL a little better as he does his thing on the inside.  All that interior pressure will make QBs (Like Brees) uncomfortable, force them off their spots and make uncomfortable or hurried throws - if they aren't eating dirt altogether.

This is also why I like Wilkins and Lawrence. 

1 minute ago, Knight of God said:

Completely out of reach, but like Williams could change the defense completely.

Nobody that can make it to #3 overall is out of reach - word on the street is NYJ pick is for sale.

although I do agree that Bosa could go #1 and almost certainly would go #2.

I would take Quinnen over Bosa though.  Just an overall more steady and healthy player.

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Nobody that can make it to #3 overall is out of reach - word on the street is NYJ pick is for sale.

although I do agree that Bosa could go #1 and almost certainly would go #2.

I would take Quinnen over Bosa though.  Just an overall more steady and healthy player.

I agree with you on Bosa. I hate the prospect of moving up.

g-dawg likes this

3 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I agree with you on Bosa. I hate the prospect of moving up.

in this scenario, moving up with Option#2 is relatively painless this year - but it would suck donk balls in 2020 with no 1st rounder.

Knight of God likes this

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Who are the rest?

Such a small group. Devin White, Josh Allen, Q Will, Bosa, and really that’s about it. We’re talking about changing the defense. Even they can bust.

This draft has an unpublished, high bust factor. 

1989Fan and Osiruz like this

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

This is also why I like Wilkins and Lawrence. 

So you are thinking take Wilkins at 14 then trade back in to the 1st for Lawrence? 

Edited by ShadyRef
Knight of God likes this

5 minutes ago, ShadyRef said:

So you are thinking take Wilkins at 14 then trade back in to the 1st for Lawrence? 

I will shout from rooftops that the additions of Tyeler Davison and Rashede Hageman don't mean anything and won't stop us from drafting a Defensive Tackle in Round#1 - if there is one available at #14 that we like - OR - one that we value within reach of what we are willing to pay in a trade-up.

I would absolutely say though that the addition of Tyeler Davison does mean we WON"T take TWO defensive tackles in this draft.   I don't see that happening at all.

22 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Such a small group. Devin White, Josh Allen, Q Will, Bosa, and really that’s about it. We’re talking about changing the defense. Even they can bust.

This draft has an unpublished, high bust factor. 

I agree. I think all four of em, Oliver and a couple Olinemen will be the cream of this draft and have good careers though. My guy is Devin White but I must admit I like as beatin backers. Regardless of need. I believe he could make the biggest year one impact on our defense and go on to be a beast.

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I agree. I think all four of em, Oliver and a couple Olinemen will be the cream of this draft and have good careers though. My guy is Devin White but I must admit I like as beatin backers. Regardless of need. I believe he could make the biggest year one impact on our defense and go on to be a beast.

I am not high on Oliver. Finesse guy and I don’t like how he quit on his team. 

Falconsfan567 likes this

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I will shout from rooftops that the additions of Tyeler Davison and Rashede Hageman don't mean anything and won't stop us from drafting a Defensive Tackle in Round#1 - if there is one available at #14 that we like - OR - one that we value within reach of what we are willing to pay in a trade-up.

I would absolutely say though that the addition of Tyeler Davison does mean we WON"T take TWO defensive tackles in this draft.   I don't see that happening at all.

Lol its funny you say that. I view the signings of Davison and Rashede as contingency plans if the plan at tackle doesn't go their way. If the office thinks both are better than the backup plans by a considerable margin, I don't see why they should be hesitant to draft them. 

I also see both guys being athletic enough to play multiple positions including defensive end against run heavy teams that also incorporate wild cat like the ravens last year. Do you think we get our ish pushed in that easily if we had Lawrence and Wilkins with Grady and Senat on the field at the same time?  Im tired of settling for average when better is possible. 

Edited by ShadyRef

8 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Do you see Devin as Campbell eventual replacement? I think Foye is making that leap this year. 

Jumpin Jehosaphat and Stryka like this