DogIsYourName

Hageman probably won't make the team

76 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ramonezy said:

Can he play DE? Seems to have the traits for it. 

He’s lined up there for snaps before. 

5 hours ago, Cheap Talk said:

I thought about that, pretty cold if that is TD's intent?

First thing that came to mind after reading OP.

No. The FO has class, and I would hope that they would not operate in such an unethical fashion.

Cheap Talk and gazoo like this

He has more upside than a draft player in the 3rd or 4th or 5th round. The guy has played and  he understands what needs to get done. 

When you redeem yourself, you aim for much bigger accomplishments because you have no choice. 

He will be in the starting rotation because DQ and TD were not doing this as a charitable cause. They saw what they need to see from him before singing him for 1 Year. 

Some of you have just spew camp body when that is not true. 

gazoo likes this

20 hours ago, athell said:

Competition is a good thing.  I think with this signing Shede is our 10th dlinemen...and that's before the draft.  They won't all be here...and the obvious cut candidate is Shede but they may be doing his career a favor by bringing his name back into the light.  If they do cut him, hopefully it's early on so he can latch on with another team.

Thankfully at best it gives us a better look at him without taking up a regular season roster spot, as well as insurance should any one of the depth DTs go down with injury.  as of right now this gives us 5 DTs correct?  between now and regular season so much can happen and who knows, (although I don't think it is likely to happen) if someone like davidson turns out to not work out as we had hoped like McClain failed to live up to expectations last year, he could very well earn a spot, and if he doesn't make the final cut, he could be given enough snaps in preseason to show other teams what he has to offer and maybe we trade him for a lower end pick.  Again not likely, but I am glad to have him on here and hope he takes one of the final spots.

athell likes this

16 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Haggleman and several others could get the axe by September. There are only 53 spots to be had. We already have 76 on the roster and will add 6-9 draft picks next week. There could be a few more cap casualties before we even get to rookie camp.

Which is, of course, the way it is every year at this time. Falcons are allowed a 90 man roster in TC, don't recall a time they haven't had 90 ,except for brief periods when they cut someone and haven't signed anyone else.

21 hours ago, DogIsYourName said:

I think the Hageman signing might just be for draft leverage.  We want to be less desperate to trade with the Jags to move up and get Ed Oliver.  But if we land Ed (or any other DT in rounds 1 or 2), I'm not sure Hageman will even make the team.  We already have Senat, Davidson, Crawford, and Grady at DT.  On paper, signing Hageman allows us to go a different direction in the draft if we have to.  But we might just be using that to try to make a slightly better deal with the Jags or someone else.  I doubt we'd keep Hageman over any of the other guys on the roster right now, and one more high draft DT will push him off the team.

Maybe he takes someone’s spot and helps cut the cap. If he’s hungry I think he makes it assuming the price is right. 

18 hours ago, R_The_Great said:

Hageman has all the tools and talent in the world, he just needed to be mature and stay in shape all season.  I think he will be one of our best defensive players this year.

If he is, it will mean we really suck defensively.  

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

19 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Not exactly, Hageman was one of the top players in the 2016 playoffs for the Falcons.  When he was given the chance of course.

9 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

Hageman could potentially end up the starter on run downs.

It is funny that you say that because assuming he makes the team and we do end up with Oliver.

I could see a scenario where our "big "package is Oliver and Shede on the ends and Davidson and Grady/Senat at DT

Osiruz likes this

33 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

He is a 6'6 300+ dude who is strong and can move....and when he gets focused can be a wrecking ball.

It is not his physical traits that are in question.

IF and it is an admittedly huge if....but IF his mind is where it needs to be and this whole experience was the learning experience that it should be.

Dude has All Pro potential

Osiruz, NeonDeion, Drew4719 and 1 other like this

5 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

He is a 6'6 300+ dude who is strong and can move....and when he gets focused can be a wrecking ball.

It is not his physical traits that are in question.

IF and it is an admittedly huge if....but IF his mind is where it needs to be and this whole experience was the learning experience that it should be.

Dude has All Pro potential

No he doesn’t.  Sorry.  And Hageman was my avatar for 2 years.  He isn’t even close to Pro Bowl.  At 28 you should not still be talking potential.  

Just hoping he makes the team

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

No he doesn’t.  Sorry.  And Hageman was my avatar for 2 years.  He isn’t even close to Pro Bowl.  At 28 you should not still be talking potential.  

Ofcourse the first step is making the team.

That is given.

The fact that he has missed 2 years of NFL training and coaching negates the age issue.

His body has not have to deal with the effects of playing in trenches.......which helps and hurts him.

Like i said from a purely physical tool standpoint...yeah i stand by the all pro comment.

But to be fair we have seen many many players have all pro physical skills.....and undrafted arena back up long snapper brains.

gazoo likes this

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

He wouldn't be the first player to really level up his game in  the later years of his career.

If he turns out to be just  a camp body, oh well. Won't lose any sleep over that.  I think, though, that  just the fact that they signed him means that he's in good shape and has a good attitude; two things that weren't true when he was drafted.

Love to see him redeem himself, more for the value he would bring to the DLine than the redemption story itself. Would still be a little ticked that he couldn't be bothered to do that last couple of years, when it would have made a difference.

FalconsIn2020 and falconsd56 like this

On 4/19/2019 at 2:19 PM, R_The_Great said:

Hageman has all the tools and talent in the world, he just needed to be mature and stay in shape all season.  I think he will be one of our best defensive players this year.

He has to make the final roster first.

There are better players ahead of him.

Hes gotta wow the coaches and put on a clinic.

I hope he does....Im a big fan of his shoe string sack of Godgers in championship game.

Posted (edited)

On 4/19/2019 at 1:51 PM, DogIsYourName said:

I think the Hageman signing might just be for draft leverage.  We want to be less desperate to trade with the Jags to move up and get Ed Oliver.  But if we land Ed (or any other DT in rounds 1 or 2), I'm not sure Hageman will even make the team.  We already have Senat, Davidson, Crawford, and Grady at DT.  On paper, signing Hageman allows us to go a different direction in the draft if we have to.  But we might just be using that to try to make a slightly better deal with the Jags or someone else.  I doubt we'd keep Hageman over any of the other guys on the roster right now, and one more high draft DT will push him off the team.

I dig what you’re saying but after the unwise decisions he’s made that hv negatively affected his NFL career just the fact that anyone in the league is even talking to him should be looked at by him as a victory at this point.

It wld be a very inspiring story if he made it, but yea you’re prob right.

Edited by The Vent King

12 hours ago, mattyicefalcon said:

He has to make the final roster first.

There are better players ahead of him.

Hes gotta wow the coaches and put on a clinic.

I hope he does....Im a big fan of his shoe string sack of Godgers in championship game.

I am starting to think Hageman has. Cult following. 

I have never seen a guy get so little out of his talent and be so loved for it.

He was signed for the betterment of the team. They just don't sign people for ulterior motives.

If he makes the team great, if not they gave the guy a second chance and it didn't work out.

gazoo likes this

On 4/19/2019 at 2:50 PM, high impact said:

Could also be Grady not willing to play for franchise tag. Who knows how this will play out. I just hope the Falcons find a great mix for the D-Line!!

Grady isnt going to turn down 15m, after hes been making 500k a year.

FalconsIn2020 likes this

1 minute ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Grady isnt going to turn down 15m, after hes been making 500k a year.

Zero chance he turns a blind eye to $900,000 being direct deposited into his account for 17 straight weeks.

0%

ATLSlobberKnockers likes this

23 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

To.be fair dude wasnt trying and was.26 before he showed anything.

Posted (edited)

On 4/19/2019 at 2:20 PM, falconsd56 said:

Going by public statements....Senate and Crawford seem to be safe.

But...we know how often those turn out to be true.

I just hope the new Dline coach walks into the first meeting in full mad max garb and announces "welcome to the thunder dome butches"

Just to prove a point.

On 4/19/2019 at 3:20 PM, Vandy said:

Hageman is actually the more talented player. 

i give Crawford the heavy nod in this debate...dude had 6 sacks in a rotational role last year, can play DE if needed and he's much quicker off the ball than Hageman. i do hope Hageman comes back in shape and super motivated to play and save his career. imagine a situational line of Hageman, Davison, Grady, Crawford!!??? run stuffing? i'd bet on that one!...

Edited by sanfranfalcon