DogIsYourName

Hageman probably won't make the team

76 posts in this topic

We don't know what the vibe is on GJ's contract negotiations I don't think GJ is  a  problem but his Agent may be. The move to sign Hageman is a win-win move for the F O I think he will make the team and he will be a factor. It gives us more options in the draft. I don't know this to be true but I'm sure TD didn't give him a big guaranteed contract.So we get him for the low and what if he balls out and GJ doesn't want to sign next year it gives us some options.

Tim Mazetti likes this

.qaqqIt's not really that complicated. They like what they saw of him in his return. Gave him a contract despite the upcoming suspension. Looking at the draft teams don't get fooled. They don't care who the Falcons draft. Their draft spot has the same value regardless. This is more about securing a spot if who they want isn't there. Same goes for the OL signings. Maybe it's a DL, maybe it's OL in the draft. Maybe it's something different.

3 hours ago, DogIsYourName said:

I think the Hageman signing might just be for draft leverage.  We want to be less desperate to trade with the Jags to move up and get Ed Oliver.  But if we land Ed (or any other DT in rounds 1 or 2), I'm not sure Hageman will even make the team.  We already have Senat, Davidson, Crawford, and Grady at DT.  On paper, signing Hageman allows us to go a different direction in the draft if we have to.  But we might just be using that to try to make a slightly better deal with the Jags or someone else.  I doubt we'd keep Hageman over any of the other guys on the roster right now, and one more high draft DT will push him off the team.

Draft leverage...you serious??! 

You do understand that entire leagues front office job security is the draft order picks and F.A signings. This is their playoffs moment!

Make no mistake.....every team knows their weaknesses and know who the star recruits are.....no one is getting fooled unless you are Cleveland Browns! Heck, even Browns last year did great in drafts. 

5 minutes ago, mattyicefalcon said:

Draft leverage...you serious??! 

You do understand that entire leagues front office job security is the draft order picks and F.A signings. This is their playoffs moment!

Make no mistake.....every team knows their weaknesses and know who the star recruits are.....no one is getting fooled unless you are Cleveland Browns! Heck, even Browns last year did great in drafts. 

Can just about gurantee no one expecting Atlanta to go WR last year, or for Seattle to take a 5th round RB in the 1st.

Tampa was projected to get Darwin, no one seen NO trading up like that, no one saw GB taking back to back corners, etc. 

falconsd56 likes this

3 hours ago, athell said:

Competition is a good thing.  I think with this signing Shede is our 10th dlinemen...and that's before the draft.  They won't all be here...and the obvious cut candidate is Shede but they may be doing his career a favor by bringing his name back into the light.  If they do cut him, hopefully it's early on so he can latch on with another team.

What a difference a year makes...this time last year we were paper thin at DT....now ...atleast on paper it is the deepest part of the team....and like you mentioned the draft is not even here yet...and i think it is reasonable to think that ATLEAST one more body is going to be added into the mix

Tim Mazetti and athell like this

Hageman has all the tools and talent in the world, he just needed to be mature and stay in shape all season.  I think he will be one of our best defensive players this year.

Stryka and HASHBROWN3 like this

7 minutes ago, Faithful Falcon said:

Aside from Grady, who guaranteed to make it?

Going by public statements....Senate and Crawford seem to be safe.

But...we know how often those turn out to be true.

I just hope the new Dline coach walks into the first meeting in full mad max garb and announces "welcome to the thunder dome butches"

Just to prove a point.

2 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

What a difference a year makes...this time last year we were paper thin at DT....now ...atleast on paper it is the deepest part of the team....and like you mentioned the draft is not even here yet...and i think it is reasonable to think that ATLEAST one more body is going to be added into the mix

Its just nice to see this team invest in the line of scrimmage rather than hoping ben Garland, Wes Schweitzer and other late draft picks play at an NFL level.

Stryka likes this

50 minutes ago, R_The_Great said:

Its just nice to see this team invest in the line of scrimmage rather than hoping ben Garland, Wes Schweitzer and other late draft picks play at an NFL level.

We have invested plenty.

The nonsense bs that we have not is patently stupid.

Vandy and Drew4719 like this

4 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

He’d still get paid

I'm sure his contract is a minimum value with nothing guaranteed.  If they cut him before the first game he gets less than 50k.

4 hours ago, athell said:

Competition is a good thing.  I think with this signing Shede is our 10th dlinemen...and that's before the draft.  They won't all be here...and the obvious cut candidate is Shede but they may be doing his career a favor by bringing his name back into the light.  If they do cut him, hopefully it's early on so he can latch on with another team.

Agreed.  This is a win - win for everybody, but a huge win for the Falcons.  They either get a camp body with no hit to Cap and very little to spend on him for training camps and the preseason, or they get a solid contributor with a chance at getting a really good Dlineman.  Shede gets an opportunity to prove that he is worth a real contract and to play in the NFL.

Drew4719, Vandy and athell like this

59 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Going by public statements....Senate and Crawford seem to be safe.

But...we know how often those turn out to be true.

Hageman is actually the more talented player. 

Stryka, Tim Mazetti and Drew4719 like this

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I’ll take 50k for a 2nd chance.  

He11 yeah, I would too.  From what I've read, Shede has been putting in the work.  It will be interesting to see what he does the first time he is punched in the face and has to dig deep.

Drew4719, Falcons In 2012 and Vandy like this

4 hours ago, Cheap Talk said:

I thought about that, pretty cold if that is TD's intent?

Because he deserves any better?

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Yup.....I am really hoping that this matured hin and made him hungry...if that happens then we get a steal for a year

Just now, Vandy said:

I might be going out on a limb here but I think at the end of 2016 there was an argument that he had more upside then Grady.  Hageman had some really big flashes sandwiched in between periods of apathy and laziness.  If the Falcons could get lucky and have him really apply himself.  Goodness, we will have a good defensive line all things being equal.  Odds are it won't work out, but as a fan I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and route for the kid to hit his potential.  We will see.

1 minute ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

I might be going out on a limb here but I think at the end of 2016 there was an argument that he had more upside then Grady.  Hageman had some really big flashes sandwiched in between periods of apathy and laziness.  If the Falcons could get lucky and have him really apply himself.  Goodness, we will have a good defensive line all things being equal.  Odds are it won't work out, but as a fan I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and route for the kid to hit his potential.  We will see.

I hear you. Big reason our D stepped up 2nd half of ‘16 and into playoffs was play of Hageman. 

4 hours ago, DogIsYourName said:

I think the Hageman signing might just be for draft leverage.  We want to be less desperate to trade with the Jags to move up and get Ed Oliver.  But if we land Ed (or any other DT in rounds 1 or 2), I'm not sure Hageman will even make the team.  We already have Senat, Davidson, Crawford, and Grady at DT.  On paper, signing Hageman allows us to go a different direction in the draft if we have to.  But we might just be using that to try to make a slightly better deal with the Jags or someone else.  I doubt we'd keep Hageman over any of the other guys on the roster right now, and one more high draft DT will push him off the team.

Trade hageman and Vic to the Jets and swap 1st

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

I hear you. Big reason our D stepped up 2nd half of ‘16 and into playoffs was play of Hageman. 

Yup.  Hageman (some of the time) and Debo were a big part of what we saw.  I'm starting to get excited about our defensive potential this year.  Hopefully we get our guys back healthy and no more major injuries this year.

HASHBROWN3, Vandy, Drew4719 and 1 other like this

Haggleman and several others could get the axe by September. There are only 53 spots to be had. We already have 76 on the roster and will add 6-9 draft picks next week. There could be a few more cap casualties before we even get to rookie camp.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt, he lost it all.. so maybe he got a clue about work and life... if he is willing to put the work in TC.. he could very well be our starting DT with Grady... or even play SDE...

49 minutes ago, Vandy said:

If Hageman brings half a bucket of consistency he will be a quality rotational piece. If he brings a full bucket he can become a very good starter with potential beyond that. 

Davidson is also young but very accomplished as a run defender. Falcons hope he may have a longterm future here. 

Jack is simply under contract and provides interior pass rush. He may get resigned. 

I like how stout Senat was in limited time. I see all those 5 making the 53. We carry 5-6 DTs every week. 

Drew4719, Vandy and Tim Mazetti like this