DogIsYourName

Hageman probably won't make the team

76 posts in this topic

I think the Hageman signing might just be for draft leverage.  We want to be less desperate to trade with the Jags to move up and get Ed Oliver.  But if we land Ed (or any other DT in rounds 1 or 2), I'm not sure Hageman will even make the team.  We already have Senat, Davidson, Crawford, and Grady at DT.  On paper, signing Hageman allows us to go a different direction in the draft if we have to.  But we might just be using that to try to make a slightly better deal with the Jags or someone else.  I doubt we'd keep Hageman over any of the other guys on the roster right now, and one more high draft DT will push him off the team.

FalconsIn2012 and Cheap Talk like this

5 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

I think the Hageman signing might just be for draft leverage.  We want to be less desperate to trade with the Jags to move up and get Ed Oliver.  But if we land Ed (or any other DT in rounds 1 or 2), I'm not sure Hageman will even make the team.  We already have Senat, Davidson, Crawford, and Grady at DT.  On paper, signing Hageman allows us to go a different direction in the draft if we have to.  But we might just be using that to try to make a slightly better deal with the Jags or someone else.  I doubt we'd keep Hageman over any of the other guys on the roster right now, and one more high draft DT will push him off the team.

3 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

I thought about that, pretty cold if that is TD's intent?

If that's the case then it's the way it should be - the best man wins. 

We still gave him a 2nd chance and opened the doors to the NFL for him again. 

Competition is a good thing.  I think with this signing Shede is our 10th dlinemen...and that's before the draft.  They won't all be here...and the obvious cut candidate is Shede but they may be doing his career a favor by bringing his name back into the light.  If they do cut him, hopefully it's early on so he can latch on with another team.

13 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

He’d still get paid

Probably not. Can't imagine there is much in the way of guaranteed money on his contract. 

Panda likes this

I'll be pleasantly surprised if he makes it out of camp.  He was always physically gifted and he has relatively little wear for his age, but unless he has been a total gym rat while he was out I just don't expect him to be in playing shape.  And being a total gym rat goes against his history of problems with work ethic.

aer2033 likes this

Let's say the OP's theory is correct...

Wouldn't every other GM in the league figure it out, too?

I mean if some dude on a message board could connect the dots that easily, surely a NFL GM w/ an infinitely larger amount of intel to pull from on the matter would know if that is indeed what TD is up to, and thus would just call his bluff.

38 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

He’d still get paid

Not if he doesn't make the roster., maybe a few game checks in preseason?  Be really surprised if they guaranteed him anything.

Just now, PriMeTiiMe said:

Falcon fandom 101

They should've ditched that 'Rise Up' nonsense years ago & paid me for that much more fitting slogan.:D

Falcons Fan MVP likes this

It's a good signing, just treat it like a post draft signing.

You get a lot of guys, 80% of whom will be cut, but the ones who stand out you keep.

Odom, Hageman, etc. will only stay on if we don't draft guys that do what they do, and/or if they show they're better than someone we already have on the team.

Just now, k-train said:

They should've ditched that 'Rise Up' nonsense years ago & paid me for that much more fitting slogan.:D

I think hope for the best and expect the worst would be the best slogan for this team as mention by another commentor. :)

7 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I think hope for the best and expect the worst would be the best slogan for this team as mention by another commentor. :)

Yeah man, I've been dropping that around here for longer than I can remember. Probably been saying it since the '98 Super Bowl disaster & it sadly continues to be more & more relevant the longer I watch this team. It's at the point now where I'm seriously never surprised when we blow it, and I pretty much kind of expect it. It's gone on so long that I'm never even that angry about it anymore & it's almost become kinda comical.

58 minutes ago, DogIsYourName said:

Could also be Grady not willing to play for franchise tag. Who knows how this will play out. I just hope the Falcons find a great mix for the D-Line!!

Flying Falcon likes this

For Hageman, it makes sense to try and re-establish his NFL value with a team and coaching staff who is familiar with him and vice versa.

Its the best chance he has of putting some good pre-season tape out there.

1 hour ago, Diggable Birds said:

If Hageaman has his head right he could make it. During the SB run he balled. Collapsing the pocket -dawgg against the run -blocking kicks etc.  If he has matured I see him on the 53 no doubt

Exactly. No downside to this move. We gamble on his growing up and more hustle or we move on. This has been a strange and intriguing offseason. Almost guarantee we will say the same about the draft

That theory doesn't make any sense because we have no idea what we will have with Hageman. Dudes been out of the league for some time now. He isn't going to step in and be dominant. And i don't care if he has been training on his own. Its not the same. 

Maybe he has matured and can contribute. Maybe he is finished. The point is, we don't know much at this point. So we absolutely are not relying on him for anything except to show up to camp. He won't have any impact on who we draft. 

I hope his trials and tribulations the past 2 years have humbled him and made him focused on the game. This is very much his one and only shot at NFL redemption. Personally I am pulling for him to make the 53 he had some tremendous flashes of dominance during the super bowl run particularly after DQ took over play calling duties