Goober Pyle

Thomas Dimitroff on the moment he realized who the Falcons will take in 2019 NFL Draft

46 posts in this topic

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/thomas-dimitroff-on-the-moment-he-realized-who-the-falcons-will-take-in-2019-nfl

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. – In the middle of an early morning workout on Thursday morning, it all clicked for Thomas Dimitroff in terms of what the Falcons will do with the No. 14 overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

“I’m thinking, ‘Yeah, this is [the] person we’re going to take,’” Dimitroff said. “It’s kind of interesting when it hits you.”

Going into his 12th draft as Atlanta’s general manger, Dimitroff has this down to a science.

A week out from the draft, the Falcons’ draft board is pretty much set. The week leading up to the draft is more about the final touches and conversations with other general managers about potential trades.

“We like to have our front board quite clean and really dialed in,” Dimitroff said. “That’s where we are right now. We’re putting the final touches on everything.”

Sure, there’s the possibility the Falcons could be given new information on a prospect that could change things in the final week, but for the most part, Dimitroff knows exactly who he wants to draft come April 25th.

The question on draft night won’t be regarding which prospect the Falcons hope to draft, it’s more about if he’ll be available. If not, where do the Falcons go next? That’s the main question Dimitroff has to prepare for.

And that’s why Dimitroff is a firm believer in not entering the weekend stuck on just one prospect.

“At times, you might not get exactly who you want,” Dimitroff said. “You hope to have two, three or four guys that you really do want. That’s a big thing for me to be positive about. If you’re only focused on one person and that doesn’t work, that’s a tough thing to be in the room, everyone can feel the energy.”

Dimitroff said during his tenure as Falcons’ general manager, there has not been a time where he’s had a “womp womp” moment after not landing his desired prospect.

When it comes to the draft, the Falcons don’t operate solely as a “needs-based” team.

That’s not to say Dimitroff and head coach Dan Quinn won’t address specific positions of need, but if the highest-graded player on their board is available at a position that might not be viewed as a top need, they’ll take that player over a lower-graded player at the position of need.

“Of course, we’re needs based [but with] that said, we’re not just going to go after someone because we need that position,” Dimitroff said. “We need to make sure that talent is matching what is on the board. We’ll never just randomly pick someone because we need a defensive end or whatever position. That’s not going to be the way it is.”

Atlanta selecting Calvin Ridley in the first round is an example of Dimitroff’s strategy. Wide receiver wasn’t necessarily the top need for the Falcons heading into the 2018 NFL Draft, but Ridley was too good of a player to pass up.

The Falcons’ positional needs are pretty clear to this point: Tackle, defensive tackle, defensive end and cornerback. Three of those positions are viewed as the strengths of the draft.

“This is a unique year,” Dimitroff said. “Defensive line is heavy [in talent] as well as [the] offensive line.”

The Falcons have nine picks to use in this year’s draft which takes place on April 25th at 8 p.m. ET in Nashville, Tenn.

Yep. I'm ready for this draft. I think DQ and TD are so locked in. No way DQ isn't salivating at all of this talent along the DL and his expertise at that spot. I truly believe Oliver is their #1 dream pick and will move up for him. But even if he's gone, I don't think they panic at all. 

Thanks for posing,, this confirms what I thought . Makes me feel really good about this draft,, I worked on my top 20 hopefuls last night very late... Just about have my board set... Still tweaking it.. While doing so and watching the NFL network,, I feel like TD will try to move up and get DT/DE Rashan  Gary.. In the first round. I'm not saying that because he has been in my only Mock draft for the last 6 weeks . After studying this draft since then,, I think we will trade up for him if we have to. But he might just fall into our laps.. And I truly thought I'd have a whole different view of this draft and a player I'd rather get by now. But no... After watching his interview last night.. I really hope we get him, Just think ,, He's an amazing DE and can play DT as well,, He would be that star on the DL that we need so much,, The OL IMO is much deeper than the DL, So we can still get very good OLman in round 2 and 3.. after that the CB position is good also.

It's like this draft was made for us.. I think this draft will put us in the playoffs this coming season.. So we can get to another SB.. I actually think if Ryan stays healthy ,, We will be in the mix at the end of the year.. I think we are going to surprise the league in how far we will go.. and even surprise most of the fans on this board. I don't just throw words around, I always try to be as honest as I know how.

I about forgot to say,, The biggest reason why I think we'll improve so much is not just because I think we'll do well in this draft, We will be much better even more so because we will have the right OC this year.. I knew all along we wouldn't have a chance because of that weakness.. That one improvement right there was Hugh.

Champford likes this

1 hour ago, Draftnut57 said:

Thanks for posing,, this confirms what I thought . Makes me feel really good about this draft,, I worked on my top 20 hopefuls last night very late... Just about have my board set... Still tweaking it.. While doing so and watching the NFL network,, I feel like TD will try to move up and get DT/DE Rashan  Gary.. In the first round. I'm not saying that because he has been in my only Mock draft for the last 6 weeks . After studying this draft since then,, I think we will trade up for him if we have to. But he might just fall into our laps.. And I truly thought I'd have a whole different view of this draft and a player I'd rather get by now. But no... After watching his interview last night.. I really hope we get him, Just think ,, He's an amazing DE and can play DT as well,, He would be that star on the DL that we need so much,, The OL IMO is much deeper than the DL, So we can still get very good OLman in round 2 and 3.. after that the CB position is good also.

It's like this draft was made for us.. I think this draft will put us in the playoffs this coming season.. So we can get to another SB.. I actually think if Ryan stays healthy ,, We will be in the mix at the end of the year.. I think we are going to surprise the league in how far we will go.. and even surprise most of the fans on this board. I don't just throw words around, I always try to be as honest as I know how.

I about forgot to say,, The biggest reason why I think we'll improve so much is not just because I think we'll do well in this draft, We will be much better even more so because we will have the right OC this year.. I knew all along we wouldn't have a chance because of that weakness.. That one improvement right there was Hugh.

Just don’t see R Gary as their guy....I wouldn’t trade up or even take him at 14. I know the guys a freak but too up and down for me

g-dawg likes this

2 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

We should be a Super Bowl contender EVERY season that we are healthyish. 

3 hours ago, vel said:

Yep. I'm ready for this draft. I think DQ and TD are so locked in. No way DQ isn't salivating at all of this talent along the DL and his expertise at that spot. I truly believe Oliver is their #1 dream pick and will move up for him. But even if he's gone, I don't think they panic at all. 

Not to mention we have 9 (!!!) picks. 

This is going to be like a Black Friday shopping spree.

vel and Cole World like this

don't really like the comment by TD as a payoff to the headline.

• Payne was supposed to be the primary target
  • No one really expected Calvin Ridley to be on the board at #26
  • how did TD know in the morning workout that it was going to be Ridley when I don't think they were ever trading up for him.  Carolina two spots earlier could have taken Ridley (they took Marland WR - DJ Moore)
  • there should have been follow-up questions by Kelsey Conway there to clarify.

Knight of God and roguebeaver like this

Just now, g-dawg said:

• how did TD know in the morning workout that it was going to be Ridley when I don't think they were ever trading up for him.  Carolina two spots earlier could have taken Ridley (they took Marland WR - DJ Moore)

They said 2019 draft. Ridley was 2018

4 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

They said 2019 draft. Ridley was 2018

oops!  missed that.....just rather odd thing to say that he knows who they are taking - i mean 13 other teams have a say in who we are drafting.    Unless he is thinking about Chris Lindstrom or Dexter Lawrence - who are thought to be going in the back half of the round - much like Keanu Neal 3 years ago - unless it is a situation like that (and it might be) - I don't know how Dimitroff could know.

Heck, even if Dimitroff had a trade in place to go all the way up to #2 or #3 for Quinnen or Oliver - you would still not know for sure if either would be available.

There is a lot of chatter that the Arizona Cardinals owner is balking at drafting another QB after trading up last year and paying a $13mm bonus to Josh Rosen and then having to turn around and pay an even higher bonus to Kyler Murray.    Cards could sit right there at #1 and take Quinnen Williams.

youngbloodz likes this

Real easy your going to take the CB thats still there at 14. Unless 1 of the 2 LB fall I think there gone. So you get your number 1 CB in the draft.

duckhoa likes this

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

oops!  missed that.....just rather odd thing to say that he knows who they are taking - i mean 13 other teams have a say in who we are drafting.    Unless he is thinking about Chris Lindstrom or Dexter Lawrence - who are thought to be going in the back half of the round - much like Keanu Neal 3 years ago - unless it is a situation like that (and it might be) - I don't know how Dimitroff could know.

I think it's more "This is our #1 guy" more than anything. Picking at #14, there is no clue who will be there. He also said he expects about 75% of those guys they like to be gone by #14. 

I truly think Oliver is that guy and I think he's accepted the price for moving up if he's in range. If he's gone, that's when he pivots and doesn't have that "womp womp" moment he talked about. I think like last year, Payne was that guy but once he was gone, they pivoted and Ridley was there.

Just now, vel said:

I think it's more "This is our #1 guy" more than anything. Picking at #14, there is no clue who will be there. He also said he expects about 75% of those guys they like to be gone by #14. 

I truly think Oliver is that guy and I think he's accepted the price for moving up if he's in range. If he's gone, that's when he pivots and doesn't have that "womp womp" moment he talked about. I think like last year, Payne was that guy but once he was gone, they pivoted and Ridley was there.

I believe it will come down to Tampa Bay(#5) and New York Giants(#6) as to if Oliver is available.

I gotta believe in some order will be:  Kyler Murray, Joey Bosa, Quinnen Williams and Josh Allen with the first 4 picks.  Surely if the owner cancels out the Kyler Murray pick that someone would either trade up w/ the Jets(#3) to take Murray - OR - Oakland to consider him at #4.  I suppose Oakland could take Ed Oliver as well but I just think it unlikely - guess it depends on how they feel about Josh Allen.

vel likes this

I am pretty sure the first pick will be a corner back , and late first round though and not who you would expect

7 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I believe it will come down to Tampa Bay(#5) and New York Giants(#6) as to if Oliver is available.

I gotta believe in some order will be:  Kyler Murray, Joey Bosa, Quinnen Williams and Josh Allen with the first 4 picks.  Surely if the owner cancels out the Kyler Murray pick that someone would either trade up w/ the Jets(#3) to take Murray - OR - Oakland to consider him at #4.  I suppose Oakland could take Ed Oliver as well but I just think it unlikely - guess it depends on how they feel about Josh Allen.

Agreed on the top four. I just think the Bucs are still stupid and will pass on Oliver and I don't believe the Giants not going QB there. The Bucs have McCoy and Vea, so IDK if DT is the spot when their edges still suck. Sweat or Burns makes more sense there. For NYG, I can see Devin White or a QB before Oliver easily. 

But it's a crap shoot without even projecting trade ups too. If Oliver makes it passed #6, TD is pulling the trigger because I'm 95% sure the Jags don't go defense and the Lions at #8 are it. 

Cole World and g-dawg like this

5 minutes ago, R_The_Great said:

I am pretty sure the first pick will be a corner back , and late first round though and not who you would expect

No, ,and I'll tell you why,, The way the talent falls in this draft ,, no way will it be our first pic, ,,, It will be either a OL or a DL, That I can assure you....

Tim Mazetti likes this

1 minute ago, vel said:

Agreed on the top four. I just think the Bucs are still stupid and will pass on Oliver and I don't believe the Giants not going QB there. The Bucs have McCoy and Vea, so IDK if DT is the spot when their edges still suck. Sweat or Burns makes more sense there. For NYG, I can see Devin White or a QB before Oliver easily. 

But it's a crap shoot without even projecting trade ups too. If Oliver makes it passed #6, TD is pulling the trigger because I'm 95% sure the Jags don't go defense and the Lions at #8 are it. 

yeah, still think a likely scenario is moving up to #8 for EO.  You better believe from #6-8 picks I won't be taking any bathroom or fresh air breaks.

You don't think TD/DQ are going to do anything bolder and move into top 3 for Quinnen do you? that would be expensive as H#LL.

Joey563 and vel like this

1 minute ago, Draftnut57 said:

No, ,and I'll tell you why,, The way the talent falls in this draft ,, no way will it be our first pic, ,,, It will be either a OL or a DL, That I can assure you....

we have to watch our assurances my friend.  I tend to agree w/ you but....no guarantees.

None of us were guaranteeing Calvin Ridley last year or Keanu Neal in 2016.

30 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I thought was pretty clear with Riley when it said..."That’s not to say Dimitroff and head coach Dan Quinn won’t address specific positions of need, but if the highest-graded player on their board is available at a position that might not be viewed as a top need, they’ll take that player over a lower-graded player at the position of need."

33 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Heck, even if Dimitroff had a trade in place to go all the way up to #2 or #3 for Quinnen or Oliver - you would still not know for sure if either would be available.

There is a lot of chatter that the Arizona Cardinals owner is balking at drafting another QB after trading up last year and paying a $13mm bonus to Josh Rosen and then having to turn around and pay an even higher bonus to Kyler Murray.    Cards could sit right there at #1 and take Quinnen Williams.

It is kinda odd to say that. But I thinking he wants a certain player and we might trade up for him

g-dawg likes this

1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I wonder who Thomas D meant by "this is our guy." It must be someone he thinks will likely be available at 14 the way I read it.

And not a d-linemen since he says it’s so deep. I’m thinking it’s my guy Greedy :) 

Falcons Fan MVP likes this

heard a pundit from yahoo - that projected Christian Wilkins to Falcons at #14 say:

"There is pressure on Dan Quinn to win this year, and if he goes down, he is gonna go down swinging with what he knows - Defensive Line"

...and when you really think about it, that logic makes sense.   I don't know that it will be Christian Wilkins - but it makes sense that it would be Wilkins, Lawrence, Oliver or maybe an Edge like Sweat.

Draftnut57 and Tim Mazetti like this