Tim Mazetti

Lest We Forget Claude Humphrey

27 posts in this topic

Falcons Throwback Thursday: Remembering former DE Claude Humphrey

Reminisce about the Falcons of old, this time with a Hall of Famer.

By Evan Birchfield@EvanBirchfield Apr 18, 2019, 3:00pm EDT

Hey Falcoholics, I’m back with another edition of The Falcoholic’s Throwback Thursday series. This weekly segment highlights a former Atlanta Falcons player and discusses their life and what they did for the franchise.

Whether you’ve been a fan since the inaugural season, or just became a fan recently, this series will give insight on players from the past. This week we will be focusing on defensive end Claude Humphrey.

cl_aude2.jpg

Claude B. Humphrey was born on June 29, 1944 in Memphis, Tennessee. Humphrey attended Lester High School where he excelled at both football and basketball. He had the opportunity to attend such schools as Nebraska and Illinois, but felt more comfortable at a predominately black university, and attended Tennessee State University.

At Tennessee State, Claude Humphrey was on the 1965 and 1966 teams that went undefeated. He was named an All-American and also attended the Senior Bowl.

claude4.jpg

With the 3rd overall pick in the 1968 AFL/NFL Draft, the Atlanta Falcons selected Claude Humphrey. He joined the Falcons during their 3rd season in franchise history, and the team went 2-12. Regardless, Humphrey had a solid season which earned him the honor of being the league’s Rookie of the Year.

His career with the Falcons was an impressive one, as he was named a First-team All-Pro five times, and a Second-team All-Pro three times. From 1970-1974, and in 1977 he was named to the NFL Pro Bowl. In 1976, he was named to the Second-Team All-NFC for having an unofficial 15 sacks. Humphrey anchored the Falcons legendary “Gritz Blitz” which set a 14-game record in 1977 for allowing only 129 total points. He made the Pro Bowl six times in his career,

claude6.jpg

After spending 10 seasons in Atlanta, the Falcons traded Claude Humphrey to the Philadelphia Eagles for two 4th round picks. In 1980, the Philadelphia Eagles earned a spot in Super Bowl XV, with the help of Humphrey’s 14 ½ sacks. In 1981, Claude Humphrey retired from the NFL, with an unofficial 126 ½ career sacks. A year later, the NFL officially started recording sacks in 1982.

claude7.jpg

In his post football life, Claude Humphrey was inducted into the Georgia Hall of Fame and the Tennessee Hall of Fame. His jersey number has also been retired at both Lester High School and Tennessee State University. In 2008, Humphrey joined fellow Falcons’ great Mike Kenn in entering the Atlanta Falcons Ring of Honor.

After being a finalist in 2003, 2005, 2006 and a senior finalist in 2009, Claude Humphrey was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2014.

“I was aggressive, very aggressive. I tried to play the game to the point where when I walked off the field, there was nothing that I didn’t cover. I tried to play all out. I didn’t take any prisoners. I just tried to do my job.” — Claude Humphrey

clady.jpg

Aside from the three seasons he spent with the Philadelphia Eagles, Humphrey was a Falcon for a decade. He is one of the best defensive ends in Atlanta Falcons history, and one of the better defensive linemen to ever play the game. Fans that are old enough to have watched him, know his impact on the franchise. He’s one of the few Falcons representing in Canton, hopefully he’s joined in the future by other Falcons’ legends.

Let me know in the comments below some of your favorite Claude Humphrey memories. As always, you can find me on Twitter @EvanBirchfield. Additionally, make sure to follow @The_Falcoholic on Instagram for up-to-date news and information. Thanks for reading, Falcoholics.

My first ever live NFL game, Fulton County Stadium. It was the night that Humphrey suffered what was believed to be a career ending injury. Everyone was devastated. 

I still have the newspaper clipping from the next day. 

Tim Mazetti and Flyin' In DC like this

6 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

Why would we ever forget him?  We don’t have many HOFers lying around. Hehe. Nice anthology article tho. 

HOFs' are indeed rare here. I hope it gets better, but this the Falcons.

The Braves kinda helped some for the city.

VTCrunkler likes this

2 minutes ago, jonnyblooz said:

My first ever live NFL game, Fulton County Stadium. It was the night that Humphrey suffered what was believed to be a career ending injury. Everyone was devastated. 

I still have the newspaper clipping from the next day. 

What year?

Humphrey was a beast, Woody Thompson RB knew our next door neighbor, he got us tickets and got us down in the tunnel after the game in 77 against the Patriots. Humphrey was huge to this skinny 11-year-old kid, the pen disappeared in his hand as he signed my program. Was instantly a fan...even after the trade  

11 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

HOFs' are indeed rare here. I hope it gets better, but this the Falcons.

The Braves kinda helped some for the city.

I was there, first to worst. 

Tim Mazetti likes this

I had a #87 Humphrey jersey when I was tiny.  I still have it somewhere.  Always one of my favorite Falcons.  

16 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

Why would we ever forget him?  We don’t have many HOFers lying around. Hehe. Nice anthology article tho. 

Yeah, he's pretty much the Falcons only HOFer.  Deion is kind of 50/50, but he probably became more of an impact player on the 49er and Cowboys teams.

VTCrunkler likes this

38 minutes ago, JeffAtl said:

Yeah, he's pretty much the Falcons only HOFer.  Deion is kind of 50/50, but he probably became more of an impact player on the 49er and Cowboys teams.

Cowboys and 9ers....Much to our chagrin 

Tim Mazetti and JeffAtl like this

This is one of the reasons why Blank is so committed to keeping Julio Jones.  With Humphrey being the Falcons only Hall of Famer, adding another with Julio raises the profile and prestige of the franchise.

Matt Ryan may be another, but he is certainly borderline at the moment.  

I enjoyed watching him when I was a teenager. Been following him on Twitter for a bit. Great guy who reps very well. An absolute beast when he was playing. 

JeffAtl likes this

I'm probably the biggest Claude Humphrey fan on these boards. Proud my man's in the hall of fame. When we played sandlot football I always told everyone I was The Claude.

Vandy and JeffAtl like this

Just wanted to bump this to remind everyone who the greatest Falcon DE of all time is. His HOF quote should be emblazoned on locker room walls. 

“I was aggressive, very aggressive. I tried to play the game to the point where when I walked off the field, there was nothing that I didn’t cover. I tried to play all out. I didn’t take any prisoners. I just tried to do my job.” — Claude Humphrey

I remember one thing he was noted for was lending a hand to the quarterback after a sack, lifting him up and patting him on the butt and saying “I’ll be back”

Edited by Skott Lee

I miss that old style NFL fame here being played in the mud and pulling grass out of your helmet after a play. 

Games in our shopping mall and even the old Ga Dome are a bit too antiseptic.

Vandy likes this

On 4/23/2019 at 0:06 PM, *TMo* said:

I'm probably the biggest Claude Humphrey fan on these boards. Proud my man's in the hall of fame. When we played sandlot football I always told everyone I was The Claude.

Same. Please see my avatar. 

On 4/18/2019 at 8:28 PM, VTCrunkler said:

I was guilty of it yesterday when I went to verify Beasley was indeed in the Falcons top 5 for sacks and it was only because Humphrey wasn't listed.  Good side is Beasley is NOT in the top 5 for sacks.