atljbo

Tony Pauline on the Falcons liking Ed Oliver

63 posts in this topic

https://bleav.com/podcast/sean-bunting-surging-up-draft-boards/

It's at the very end of the Podcast

He something like the bills are high on Oliver and keep in the back of your mind The Atlanta Falcons... He is a guy we are very high on and is willing trade up for (depending on the cost ofc) 

He said keep an eye on that

4 minutes ago, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

I'm starting to think that he won't make it to 8, and we either aren't willing to go higher due to cost, or can't find a team to go higher. 

I agree. There is always someone willing to trade down in the price is right. I just dont think we want to sell the farm. If Ed is there at 8, I'd be shocked if we didn't go get him but I think that's as high as well go for him (or any other player for that matter).

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, Artys Arryn said:

I agree. There is always someone willing to trade down in the price is right. I just dont think we want to sell the farm. If Ed is there at 8, I'd be shocked if we didn't go get him but I think that's as high as well go for him (or any other player for that matter).

I think the Jets' 3 is still in play, but that will cost the farm.  8 is probably as high as we'll go, but if DQ thinks Oliver's his guy, at all costs, I'm all in.  But, if we're talking a top 5 pick, Williams would have to be in play, with Oliver the consolation prize.

Edited by Maltese Falcon

16 minutes ago, Maltese Falcon said:

I think the Jets' 3 is still in play, but that will cost the farm.  8 is probably as high as we'll go, but if DQ thinks Oliver's his guy, at all costs, I'm all in.  But, if we're talking a top 5 pick, Williams would have to be in play, with Oliver the consolation prize.

i think if we go to three its for bosa or josh allen not oliver. if for some reason the 49’s go williams and bosa is there we sell out to get him

17 minutes ago, HEIST said:

Trading up to 8 with Detroit (who Pauline said wants to move back for a TE) to get ahead of Buffalo makes too much sense. If he gets past #6, I think Ed O is a Falcon.

SpongeDad and Tim Mazetti like this

46 minutes ago, HEIST said:

Trading up to 8 with Detroit (who Pauline said wants to move back for a TE) to get ahead of Buffalo makes too much sense. If he gets past #6, I think Ed O is a Falcon.

Agreed. I think this is like when the trade up for with Seattle was already set and we did it for Takk a few years back. I think the framework is largely in place. 

Tim Mazetti likes this

1 hour ago, R_The_Great said:

There are plenty of good defensive tackles.  Ed Oliver is nice for Houston but there are some really good guys to have in rounds 2 through 4

Yes there are.

The decision then becomes if you see Oliver as that guy or you do like you say take a prospect lower just to come in and compete and do a certain job.Zach Allen is a guy exactly like this.

Tim Mazetti likes this

23 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

Yes there are.

The decision then becomes if you see Oliver as that guy or you do like you say take a prospect lower just to come in and compete and do a certain job.Zach Allen is a guy exactly like this.

I think it's more quality over quantity. If you think Oliver has Donald type potential and you believe you have the HC to get him there, then you take the All Pro talent over the solid tier talent. There isn't another Oliver or anything close to him. Just like there isn't another Quinnen. 

1 hour ago, vel said:

Agreed. I think this is like when the trade up for with Seattle was already set and we did it for Takk a few years back. I think the framework is largely in place. 

I agree.    If Ed Oliver is there at #8 and Detroit really wants to trade out, I think it would be about 80% that the deal gets done and Ed Oliver would be a Falcon.

See two options that match trade chart:

Option #1)  Falcons trade #1-014(1,100pts) + #3-079(195pts) + 4-117(60pts) + 2020 4th rounder(50pt-estimate)  = Detroit#1-008(1,400pts)

OR

Option #2)  Falcons trade#1-014(1,100pts) + #2-045(450pts) = Detroit#1-008(1,400 pts) + Detroit#3-088(150pts)

I actually like Option#2 better because we don't really lose picks.   Also, if we packaged the two 4th rounders that is enough ammunition to get back into the bottom of Round 3 - so you could have three picks on Day#2 - even after moving up in 1st round.   That  could still be a nice haul. 

Drew4719, vel and kiwifalcon like this

I would rather use our draft picks to move up in the mid rounds, especially rounds two and three. We’re not going to see nine draft picks plus undrafted players make this team.

Tim Mazetti likes this

8 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I agree.    If Ed Oliver is there at #8 and Detroit really wants to trade out, I think it would be about 80% that the deal gets done and Ed Oliver would be a Falcon.

Option #1)  Falcons trade #1-014(1,100pts) + #3-079(195pts) + 4-117(60pts) + 2020 4th rounder(50pt-estimate)  = Detroit#1-008(1,400pts)

OR

Option #2)  Falcons trade#1-014(1,100pts) + #2-045(450pts) = Detroit#1-008(1,400 pts) + Detroit#3-088(150pts)

I actually like Option#2 better because we don't really lose picks.   Also, if we packaged the two 4th rounders that is enough ammunition to get back into the bottom of Round 3 - so you could have three picks on Day#2 - even after moving up in 1st round.   That  could still be a nice haul. 

I'd be frustrated at #2 solely because that top 50 pick could be crucial. But like you said, if we end up with three 3rd rounders in that scenario, that's not a big loss. 

Drew4719, g-dawg and Tim Mazetti like this

3 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I hope he's Aaron Donald if we do, just think there is enough DL talent not to give away picks. 

yeah but this is such an overreaction - the picks being given aren't outlandish.   Everyone on the board is like "this is crazy to trade up" when the compensation wouldn't be crazy to go to 8 - it's not Crazy Eight!

if we did Option 2 and traded our 2nd rounder for an extra 3rd - is that really the end of the world?  Your not even down a pick - just a lower Day 2 pick.

I just see a negative overreaction.

Let's say we were going Cornerback in 2nd round and say we our target was Sean Bunting.    Now we have to settle in 3rd round for Mark Fields.......Would I rather have Bunting? absolutely.    If both end up being good players but Fields is a little worse - is that really the end of the world?  no.

As long as Ed Oliver is "Geno Atkins good" or "Jurrell Casey good" - then the trade-up would be just fine.

kiwifalcon, atljbo, 1989Fan and 4 others like this

17 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I hope he's Aaron Donald if we do, just think there is enough DL talent not to give away picks. 

Dammit, are you being rational again?

WhenFalconsWin likes this

3 hours ago, LaurentRobinsonDaGawd said:

I'm starting to think that he won't make it to 8, and we either aren't willing to go higher due to cost, or can't find a team to go higher. 

Hopefully both are true and remain true on draft day

20 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

OR

Yes sir I’m option 2 all day.

Under DQ we have a propensity to hit these mid to late rounders.

If your confident enough in the roster moves made in FA I have zero problems with option 2.If needs be we probably have enough ammunition to get back into the late 2nd if a player becomes available that we like.

Well thought out G-Dawg.

g-dawg likes this

2 minutes ago, vel said:

I'd be frustrated at #2 solely because that top 50 pick could be crucial. But like you said, if we end up with three 3rd rounders in that scenario, that's not a big loss. 

Yeah, let's say you end up after those two trades with

#1-008)  Ed Oliver, DT

#3-079)  Isaiah Johnson, CB

#3-088)  Jaylon Ferguson, DE  (or highest rated OL)

#3-096)  David Montgomery, RB

if we ended up w/ something like that plus two 5ths, a 6th and a 7th  (say another CB, LB, WR and something else) would it really be that bad?  I mean you got Ed Freaking Oliver.

46 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

yeah but this is such an overreaction - the picks being given aren't outlandish.   Everyone on the board is like "this is crazy to trade up" when the compensation wouldn't be crazy to go to 8 - it's not Crazy Eight!

if we did Option 2 and traded our 2nd rounder for an extra 3rd - is that really the end of the world?  Your not even down a pick - just a lower Day 2 pick.

I just see a negative overreaction.

Let's say we were going Cornerback in 2nd round and say we our target was Sean Bunting.    Now we have to settle in 3rd round for Mark Fields.......Would I rather have Bunting? absolutely.    If both end up being good players but Fields is a little worse - is that really the end of the world?  no.

As long as Ed Oliver is "Geno Atkins good" or "Jurrell Casey good" - then the trade-up would be just fine.

Oh no, I agree if the compensation is not bad. I was mainly talking about a mock I saw where we give up next year's 1st as well. I am not remotely into that scenario. The ones you point out here I'd be fine with. 

g-dawg likes this

39 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Dammit, are you being rational again?

I'm always rational and I want a dayum SB now!  The sands of the hour glass are starting to run out on me. :D

Tim Mazetti likes this

11 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

I'm always rational and I want a dayum SB now!  The sands of the hour glass are starting to run out on me. :D

Did I hear you say no trade-up @14? Or was that the Days of Our Lives?

Trade up and down all they want after 14. But please not up from 14.

1 minute ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Did I hear you say no trade-up @14?

Trade up and down all they want after 14. But please not up from 14.

No, I mean if the right (no expensive deal comes along) but I am saying I wouldn't give up the farm at #14 to move up when there is beau coup DL talent in this draft. I mean a good will be there at #14. 

Having said that, I don't know how high our FO may rate a Williams or Oliver, amirite? 

Being sensible again. 

Tim Mazetti likes this

7 minutes ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Oh no, I agree if the compensation is not bad. I was mainly talking about a mock I saw where we give up next year's 1st as well. I am not remotely into that scenario. The ones you point out here I'd be fine with. 

yeah, that is why DQ and TD need to know what they are and aren't willing to do as far as move-up.   Of course we don't know anything other than the rumor of Atlanta/Detroit.   I would hazard a guess that this is probably the limit on what they would do but who knows?

I'm willing to pay what it would take to move up to #8 - if someone at #6 or #7 would take the same amount of compensation, then fine - otherwise - offer what you will offer and have it setup prior to draft and stick to it and have your "Plan B" and "Plan C" and "Plan D".