jlrfalcon

Falcons First Pick? What is the Biggest Area they Have Ignored this Offseason?

22 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

If you are wondering what the Falcons first pick will be this year, one need only look where they now have the least depth and possible future need.

The defensive line is actually rather stacked after recent free agent signings like Clayborn and Davison and Odom.  It could still be improved with the likes of Oliver but one has to wonder if they did trade up for him, what would they do with the extra signings around.  Why would they still have Beasley around?  

The offensive line has really been pumped up at guard (Carpenter, Brown) and our starter from last year will be our backup now.  They signed Sambrailo to really too good of a contract for him to be just a backup, so one has to think they are determined for him to be the starter there.  A big tackle might be there at #14 but even then they just signed a "backup" tackle named Wetzel who seems pretty strong (why have him and Ty if you plan to draft a starter?).

They have also signed a good set of TE's Paulsen and Stocker, resigned Hardy for the WR, resigned Ishmael for the LB, kept Schaub as the backup QB, and also are bringing in Cooper and Laguda as safety nets at safety.

Meanwhile, at our CB position, we actually are still in negative territory.  The Falcons let Alford and Poole both go elsewhere.  They did bring back Wreh-Wilson from last year and Kazee is assumed to be moving in Poole's old role (but what if Neal or Allen are not really ready to start?).  Trufant is still here but everyone realizes his decline, and the only thing keeping him here is the guaranteed money in his contract and the salary cap impact.  Oliver looked pretty good as a rookie but do we really have full faith in him yet?

Right now, this team has only 3 definite CB's and 1 CB/S but with as much as this team plays nickel and dime, it will need at least 1-2 more and there has been no action to address this in FA.

So, I say the Falcons will pick a CB in the first round (unless something changes soon).  I would not be surprised if they actually move down if possible.  As for who it is, I sense that Quinn has a love affair with LSU and would go with Greedy Williams, but I still would prefer Deandre Baker.  Both are probably an overreach at #14, and a trade down to maybe #20 would be better but would still require good negotiation.  They also are likely drafting Trufant's eventual replacement with this and being better able to get rid of him.

This may not be what the fans want but it is clearly where they are heading right now.

Edited by jlrfalcon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope they aren't stupid enough to be in love with Ty at Right Tackle (I don't think they are..they've interviewed/met with all the top tackles in the draft).He didn't exactly set the world on fire at RT last year. Serviceable would be a good description. 

Need a real Right Tackle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

If you are wondering what the Falcons first pick will be this year, one need only look where they now have the least depth and possible future need.

The defensive line is actually rather stacked after recent free agent signings like Clayborn and Davison and Odom.  It could still be improved with the likes of Oliver but one has to wonder if they did trade up for him, what would they do with the extra signings around.  Why would they still have Beasley around?  

The offensive line has really been pumped up at guard (Carpenter, Brown) and our starter from last year will be our backup now.  They signed Sambrailo to really too good of a contract for him to be just a backup, so one has to think they are determined for him to be the starter there.  A big tackle might be there at #14 but even then they just signed a "backup" tackle named Wetzel who seems pretty strong (why have him and Ty if you plan to draft a starter?).

They have also signed a good set of TE's Paulsen and Stocker, resigned Hardy for the WR, resigned Ishmael for the LB, kept Schaub as the backup QB, and also are bringing in Cooper and Laguda as safety nets at safety.

Meanwhile, at our CB position, we actually are still in negative territory.  The Falcons let Alford and Poole both go elsewhere.  They did bring back Wreh-Wilson from last year and Kazee is assumed to be moving in Poole's old role (but what if Neal or Allen are not really ready to start?).  Trufant is still here but everyone realizes his decline, and the only thing keeping him here is the guaranteed money in his contract and the salary cap impact.  Oliver looked pretty good as a rookie but do we really have full faith in him yet?

Right now, this team has only 3 definite CB's and 1 CB/S but with as much as this team plays nickel and dime, it will need at least 1-2 more and there has been no action to address this in FA.

So, I say the Falcons will pick a CB in the first round (unless something changes soon).  I would not be surprised if they actually move down if possible.  As for who it is, I sense that Quinn has a love affair with LSU and would go with Greedy Williams, but I still would prefer Deandre Baker.  Both are probably an overreach at #14, and a trade down to maybe #20 would be better but would still require good negotiation.  They also are likely drafting Trufant's eventual replacement with this and being better able to get rid of him.

This may not be what the fans want but it is clearly where they are heading right now.

What you are saying makes as much sense as anything I have said, which was they were trading-up and drafting CB at #2, Then OC with what is left. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The Falcons spent a lot of time this offseason creating depth on O, and a little bit on the DL.

I think DT, RT, CB, LB, and S are the immediate places I'd like for us to address early in the draft, and then move on to looking at WRs, OC, or RBs that can help us with upcoming contracts in future years ( Sanu, Mack, and Free ). That said I think we aren't going to take someone just to take them. For example RT: Ty may not be the answer, but he gives you are certain freedom to not reach if you aren't 100% comfortable with somebody where you are picking.

I think CB in the first is unlikely ... mainly because the 1st round CBs don't seem to line-up with the Quinn ideal. I'd like 2nd or 3rd.

Edited by Geneaut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds reasonable. I'd prefer Oliver, then a RT then a CB in that order. If it plays out as you described... I wouldn't be upset. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think we 'ignored' CB.

In theory we have Trufant and OIiver as our starting corners and Kazee at nickel supposedly with a lil bit of depth behind them.

I can't see the logic in taking a CB with a high pick when it is not a high impact position of need

NeonDeion likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we still have salary cap money 'in the bank' so to say if we wanted to address any holes we don't get filled in the draft. Cutting Bosher, Wes and Fusco would get us some money to look at a vet CB if the draft doesn't fallout how we'd like in that regard.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, etherdome said:

We have a disappointing Vic Beasley and  a Takk that had some sort of mental wig out earlier this year. 

I kinda think that an edge pass rusher is in the cards.

I agree, even if I left it off my list. I suspect it may be someone like Crosby or this Akron guy though ( later rounds ). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, quotemokc said:

I don't think we 'ignored' CB.

In theory we have Trufant and OIiver as our starting corners and Kazee at nickel supposedly with a lil bit of depth behind them.

I can't see the logic in taking a CB with a high pick when it is not a high impact position of need

Actually, you make my point in that we have no depth behind our starters except Wreh-Wilson.  I would not be surprised if we draft a CB this year to learn and then cut Trufant next year in favor of that rookie (exact same scenario we did with Oliver and Alford).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jlrfalcon said:

Actually, you make my point in that we have no depth behind our starters except Wreh-Wilson.  I would not be surprised if we draft a CB this year to learn and then cut Trufant next year in favor of that rookie (exact same scenario we did with Oliver and Alford).

I think we have to. One to have decent depth, and as you mentioned giving us flexibility with our cap situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jlrfalcon said:

If you are wondering what the Falcons first pick will be this year, one need only look where they now have the least depth and possible future need.

The defensive line is actually rather stacked after recent free agent signings like Clayborn and Davison and Odom.  It could still be improved with the likes of Oliver but one has to wonder if they did trade up for him, what would they do with the extra signings around.  Why would they still have Beasley around?  

The offensive line has really been pumped up at guard (Carpenter, Brown) and our starter from last year will be our backup now.  They signed Sambrailo to really too good of a contract for him to be just a backup, so one has to think they are determined for him to be the starter there.  A big tackle might be there at #14 but even then they just signed a "backup" tackle named Wetzel who seems pretty strong (why have him and Ty if you plan to draft a starter?).

They have also signed a good set of TE's Paulsen and Stocker, resigned Hardy for the WR, resigned Ishmael for the LB, kept Schaub as the backup QB, and also are bringing in Cooper and Laguda as safety nets at safety.

Meanwhile, at our CB position, we actually are still in negative territory.  The Falcons let Alford and Poole both go elsewhere.  They did bring back Wreh-Wilson from last year and Kazee is assumed to be moving in Poole's old role (but what if Neal or Allen are not really ready to start?).  Trufant is still here but everyone realizes his decline, and the only thing keeping him here is the guaranteed money in his contract and the salary cap impact.  Oliver looked pretty good as a rookie but do we really have full faith in him yet?

Right now, this team has only 3 definite CB's and 1 CB/S but with as much as this team plays nickel and dime, it will need at least 1-2 more and there has been no action to address this in FA.

So, I say the Falcons will pick a CB in the first round (unless something changes soon).  I would not be surprised if they actually move down if possible.  As for who it is, I sense that Quinn has a love affair with LSU and would go with Greedy Williams, but I still would prefer Deandre Baker.  Both are probably an overreach at #14, and a trade down to maybe #20 would be better but would still require good negotiation.  They also are likely drafting Trufant's eventual replacement with this and being better able to get rid of him.

This may not be what the fans want but it is clearly where they are heading right now.

You say future need and then list 3 guys on 1 year contracts as your evidence?. Beasley and Garret are on 1 year deals currently too.

So lets stick to future needs where next year we have Takk and.....?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When all is said and done, our top 4 needs on paper appear to be OT, DE, DT, CB.

The wild card, to me, is LB. The team was very interested in LVE and Evans last year. Did Oluokun do enough to make LB a lower priority? Keep in mind the team may not be able to pay Campbell. But they may wait until next offseason to worry about that given this year's LB class is pretty weak after White and Bush.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, runshoot said:

You say future need and then list 3 guys on 1 year contracts as your evidence?. Beasley and Garret are on 1 year deals currently too.

So lets stick to future needs where next year we have Takk and.....?

Actually Quinn is probably coaching his last year if he does not at least make the playoffs?  A player who would not be ready to play or be in a crowded rotation are not going to help him much.  Quinn has no interest in a player who will not give him some reward this season.

However, CB's are often some of the best immediate impact rookies - if he played well enough, he could be the dime back initially and then challenge a Trufant this year for his job or be a security blanket if Oliver underperforms or if Kazee has to go back to safety.

A CB is also a perfect draft pick for a coach under job anxiety as he could deliver interceptions that turn games way around.  Quinn and the Falcons might be looking at a CB as both a short-term and long-term reward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

 I would be OK with a CB if we trade down. I really think they double dip  with the extra picks

Greedy/Isahia Johnson

or

Murphy/ Bunting

Plenty of OT in the Second

Lindstrom round 2 

I like Scharping from NIU in the 3rd 

Edited by Diggable Birds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CB is definitely a need, but not a need at 14. We took Oliver in round two and let him learn for a year. I would do the same with a guy like Lonnie Johnson, Bunting, Oruwariye, Layne etc in rounds 2-3.

our top 3 CBS are set for this season, barring injury, and all under contract still for 2020 as well.

with where the roster depth sits now, I still think DE is the biggest need, especially considering we will have just Takk under contract after this season. Similar can be said at DT, but there is more talent there currently than DE.

Tim Mazetti likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

If you are wondering what the Falcons first pick will be this year, one need only look where they now have the least depth and possible future need.

The defensive line is actually rather stacked after recent free agent signings like Clayborn and Davison and Odom.  It could still be improved with the likes of Oliver but one has to wonder if they did trade up for him, what would they do with the extra signings around.  Why would they still have Beasley around?  

The offensive line has really been pumped up at guard (Carpenter, Brown) and our starter from last year will be our backup now.  They signed Sambrailo to really too good of a contract for him to be just a backup, so one has to think they are determined for him to be the starter there.  A big tackle might be there at #14 but even then they just signed a "backup" tackle named Wetzel who seems pretty strong (why have him and Ty if you plan to draft a starter?).

They have also signed a good set of TE's Paulsen and Stocker, resigned Hardy for the WR, resigned Ishmael for the LB, kept Schaub as the backup QB, and also are bringing in Cooper and Laguda as safety nets at safety.

Meanwhile, at our CB position, we actually are still in negative territory.  The Falcons let Alford and Poole both go elsewhere.  They did bring back Wreh-Wilson from last year and Kazee is assumed to be moving in Poole's old role (but what if Neal or Allen are not really ready to start?).  Trufant is still here but everyone realizes his decline, and the only thing keeping him here is the guaranteed money in his contract and the salary cap impact.  Oliver looked pretty good as a rookie but do we really have full faith in him yet?

Right now, this team has only 3 definite CB's and 1 CB/S but with as much as this team plays nickel and dime, it will need at least 1-2 more and there has been no action to address this in FA.

So, I say the Falcons will pick a CB in the first round (unless something changes soon).  I would not be surprised if they actually move down if possible.  As for who it is, I sense that Quinn has a love affair with LSU and would go with Greedy Williams, but I still would prefer Deandre Baker.  Both are probably an overreach at #14, and a trade down to maybe #20 would be better but would still require good negotiation.  They also are likely drafting Trufant's eventual replacement with this and being better able to get rid of him.

This may not be what the fans want but it is clearly where they are heading right now.

I agree jrfalcon I've been posting the same points you make regarding our DB depth for a few weeks now myself, I would love to trade down and pick up another 2nd or 3rd rounder and select DeAndre Baker, I'm not a fan of NO-CONTACT Greedy....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are what I would think are the projected starters and their primary back ups as of now. Which unit looks the most suspect to yall?

  • QB - Ryan, Schaub
  • WR - Julio, Blake
  • FL - Ridley, Gage
  • SR - Sanu, Hardy
  • RB - Free, Ito
  • FB, Ortiz, Hill
  • TE - Hoop, Stocker
  • LT - Bloodline, Wentzel
  • LG - Carpenter, Wes
  • OC - Mack, No One
  • RG - Fusco, Brown
  • RT - Ty, Gono
  • RDE - Takk, Clayborn
  • NT - Davison, Senat
  • DT - Grady, Crawford
  • LDE - Beasley, Means
  • WLB - Foye, Grace
  • MLB - Debo, Duke
  • SLB - Campbell, Carter
  • RCB - Oliver, No one
  • NB - Kazee, Calhoun
  • FS - Rico, Cooper
  • SS - Neal, Neasman
  • LCB - Tru, Blidi

The shakiest starting positions are RCB, RG and RT. Biggest back up hole is OC. The needs based Top 3 are:

  • 1. RG/RT - Cody Ford
  • 2. OC/RG - Elgton Jenkins
  • 3. RCB - Isaiah Johnson

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t think we’ve ignored anything thismoff season because we are not done with it yet.

Need to pin the thread and readdress it before TC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now