ya_boi_j

Why Oliver and Metcalf are boom or bust

51 posts in this topic

Don't care anything about Metcalf but since Oliver has been the talk of the town lately figured i'd post

Kinda makes me no want him anymore.  Im no expert though. Kinda depends what they want to do with grady though as others have said.

According to this, are they essentially the same player?

That was just Kiper trying to come up with an answer that wasn't Rashan Gary imo. Kiper asks "What do you do if he plays at 270?". The obvious response being, play him at base end, move him inside on passing downs. 

Geneaut, Ergo Proxy and VTCrunkler like this

Honestly we need a big run stuffing DT/NT to play next to Grady.  Sure I wouldn't mind having another guy like Oliver who is very similar to Grady, but we still need a big body to eat up linemen so our other studs get the 1v1 matchups that they can exploit. 

Good news is the staff has a pretty good eye for talent and quinn knows what his vision is. It shifted some this offseason we will see what happens. 

13 minutes ago, andrews31cain21 said:

Did anyone else catch that he said we just paid Grady?

With the Franchise Tag he got paid bigtime.

Tim Mazetti likes this

25 minutes ago, dawgsjw said:

Honestly we need a big run stuffing DT/NT to play next to Grady.  Sure I wouldn't mind having another guy like Oliver who is very similar to Grady, but we still need a big body to eat up linemen so our other studs get the 1v1 matchups that they can exploit. 

We just signed Davidson for that role and while he’s not tall, Senat is looking like he could be a stud at NT as well.

Tim Mazetti likes this

While these guys were kinda just talking I do agree that Oliver does strike me as the biggest boom bust of DTs.   His size is not much of a concern for me unless we get into a 70+ play brawl with a team.  When I watch his film I see how good he could be but I also see how what he did at Houston to win probably won't work as well in NFL.  I would love to have Oliver but I am not at all a fan of trading up for him.

Tim Mazetti and VTCrunkler like this

I have way more faith in Oliver being a boom because I think Metcalf is a definite bust. But it could strongly depend on what team he goes to and who coaches him.

12 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

I don't see Oliver being boom or bust at all. 

So why trade up for a player that wont be a boom? 

1 hour ago, dawgsjw said:

One day yall will move away from thinking you need a "big run stuffing DT". They got Poe down to sub 330 when he was here because he was too big. Senat is 315lbs. Davison is 315 lbs. New Orleans just had one of the best run defense in the league and their biggest DT was Davison. 

It's not about size, it's about gap discipline and alignment. If my 1T is aligned in the proper gap and remains disciplined, he stays clean and keeps the 3T clean and the LBs clean. 

Posted (edited)

14 minutes ago, Nereek said:

So why trade up for a player that wont be a boom? 

My post doesn't mean he won't boom.... the meaning of boom or bust is a player who will be a beast or suck, no middle ground. 

Worst case Oliver will be a disruptive run defender at 3 tech which means he'll still be a valuable player. 

Edited by Bobby.Digital

Every prospect in the top ten is boom or bust, it's just the nature of the beast. 

Although, "meh" is another category many end up in- take Vic- after his 15 sack year, I had to same reaction as I did to Vick's first year starting- man, this guy has all the tools, when he really learns his craft, he'll be amazing. Sadly, neither one ever really learned his craft.

Is he a boom? a bust? He's neither, he's probably not getting a second contract with the Falcons. He's had a meh career.

11 minutes ago, vel said:

One day yall will move away from thinking you need a "big run stuffing DT". They got Poe down to sub 330 when he was here because he was too big. Senat is 315lbs. Davison is 315 lbs. New Orleans just had one of the best run defense in the league and their biggest DT was Davison. 

It's not about size, it's about gap discipline and alignment. If my 1T is aligned in the proper gap and remains disciplined, he stays clean and keeps the 3T clean and the LBs clean. 

Yep. Such an old way of thinking. 

3 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Every prospect in the top ten is boom or bust, it's just the nature of the beast. 

Although, "meh" is another category many end up in- take Vic- after his 15 sack year, I had to same reaction as I did to Vick's first year starting- man, this guy has all the tools, when he really learns his craft, he'll be amazing. Sadly, neither one ever really learned his craft.

Is he a boom? a bust? He's neither, he's probably not getting a second contract with the Falcons. He's had a meh career.

Lol

With all of this talk about the Falcons looking for a corner I shudder everytime I hear Greedy Williams and the Falcons possibly linked..dude doesn't like to tackle?..that means he doesn't love football and that is not a DQ type player.

Tim Mazetti likes this

1 hour ago, dawgsjw said:

We just signed Davison and have Senat.   If you want to split the difference and get a passrusher that’s big - just take Christian Wilkins.  

Lawrence is a little more than just a run stuffer but that is his best trait.

We don’t really need THREE defensive tackles whose best trait is run stopping.

We need the best interior passrusher we can get our hands on.

1 minute ago, vafalconfan said:

With all of this talk about the Falcons looking for a corner I shudder everytime I hear Greedy Williams and the Falcons possibly linked..dude doesn't like to tackle?..that means he doesn't love football and that is not a DQ type player.

Or, he was making business decisions in college, protecting his future earnings in the NFL- same reasoning that players getting drafted early sit out bowl games.

I don't know that's what he was doing, seems like a reasonable possibility.