LaurentRobinsonDaGawd

I think we found our late round pass rusher

28 posts in this topic

https://twitter.com/JamalDavisII/status/1117493515330703362?s=20 

So, I'd like to embed this tweet, but IDK how on my phone (I tried, and maybe it worked).

Anyways, Akron DE Jamal Davis II posted a picture with DQ, TD, and Pioli on his twitter account.

He said:

"Just a kid from Canton, Ohio. Believe in yourself and make it happen.. Akron football I do this for y’all! Want to inspire y’all man.. Make plays! Thank you to the Atlanta Falcons for flying all the way to Akron for me. Meetings/Workouts complete. Draft around the corner!"

He BLEW UP the combine, and is expected to go around the 5th or 6th round, but could go as high as late 4th. He is a converted LB who is just scratching the surface of his DE potential. He is INCREDIBLY long and athletic. 

I do apologize for not being able to embed the tweet(assuming it didn't work right), because the meeting must have gone exceptional for both sides for 1)Davis to feel the need to post it on twitter, and 2) The Falcons brass feeling like it went well enough for us to post a picture with a prospect, which isn't very common. 

Here are his combine measurables and stats:

6'3"

243 lbs.

34 1/4" arms

10 1/4" hands

40 Yard Dash
SECONDS

Bench Press
REPS

Vertical Jump
INCHES

Broad Jump
INCHES

3 Cone Drill
SECONDS

20 Yd Shuttle
SECONDS

60 Yd Shuttle
SECONDS

BTW, this was just a couple days ago on 4/14

Hopefully we save the 4th round pick for a more complete player that drops from the 3rd.

Kids got the the right quickness and mindset of wanting to hit.

Jerz #Quinning likes this

He’s a project at best as a pass rusher but if he’s coachable a late rounder won’t hurt. I just watched 3 condensed gameplays of Akron defense and he looks better vs the run imo. 

16 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

He’s a project at best as a pass rusher but if he’s coachable a late rounder won’t hurt. I just watched 3 condensed gameplays of Akron defense and he looks better vs the run imo. 

You could see the get-off and he had a respectable spin move.  Plays more like a blitzing LB than a rush end (if that makes sense to anyone but me).

ya_boi_j and oztin like this

46 minutes ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

Hopefully we save the 4th round pick for a more complete player that drops from the 3rd.

We.do have 2 4ths

16 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

You could see the get-off and he had a respectable spin move.  Plays more like a blitzing LB than a rush end (if that makes sense to anyone but me).

It makes sense. He's what I think about Beasley, would benefit more in a scheme like what Pittsburgh runs with those hogs up front. I know a few other guys don't agree with that but I've thought that about him all along

Monolith2001 likes this

Posted (edited)

A few of us follow a dude on Twitter that does extensive algorithms and rates each prospect!! It's impressive and I'm really interested to see how we draft and where each player graded out. His name is Kent Lee Platte and his Twitter tag is @MathBomb

Here's his work on Davis

And yes! I am a firm believer that the combine does not trump game tape, but it's still interesting.

Edited by Since1990
Drew4719, ShadyRef and Tim Mazetti like this

You know Dan Quinn is salivating at the thought of those 34 inch arms. 

He's an ideal day 3 type prospect who could very well end up out playing his draft slot. Could probably play some SAM as well as being a rotational edge rusher in nickel/dime.

1 hour ago, UnrealfalcoN said:

He plays with the savageness of a rabid dog. I love how he latches onto a player with those long arms and has the strength to bring them down.

UnrealfalcoN and Tim Mazetti like this

Sounds like he's better than Beasley now in all aspects...  except in the all-important category of "running the arc to nowhere"....  and I'm sure he can learn that quickly in Flowery Branch.

ADAMSVILLE GYM likes this

2 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

It makes sense. He's what I think about Beasley, would benefit more in a scheme like what Pittsburgh runs with those hogs up front. I know a few other guys don't agree with that but I've thought that about him all along

I like Pittsburgh's D as it feels like there's guys coming at teams from all different directions all the time.  I am hopeful that at minimum, DQ will be dialing up more exotic looks and blitzes.

Late round is fine, but we gotta stop wasting early picks on pass rushers cause they won't do well here until the interior DL is fixed.

8 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Good lord does he line up off sides so quick in the backfield. Thank KOG for the video the kid has game.

Knight of God likes this

3 hours ago, Since1990 said:

A few of us follow a dude on Twitter that does extensive algorithms and rates each prospect!! It's impressive and I'm really interested to see how we draft and where each player graded out. His name is Kent Lee Platte and his Twitter tag is @MathBomb

Here's his work on Davis

And yes! I am a firm believer that the combine does not trump game tape, but it's still interesting.

Now that he has changed positions, I wonder how that would affect his ras score.