Francis York Morgan

Free Agency Freakouts

67 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, FAN_O_THE_ATL said:

I think he's also had a couple knee injuries...still would be my #1 choice.

Nah, not my my first

Just now, ShadyRef said:

Isee what you're saying. He does get washed out on combo blocks. By character, do you mean you don't see enough 'dog' in him?  Do you think he playing out of position contributed to negative marks when evaluating him? I can't imagine DQ playing him at nose in the NFL. 

Definitely not a leader, but he quit on the team and already said he didn’t want to be a Texan

ShadyRef likes this

Just now, Knight of God said:

Definitely not a leader, but he quit on the team and already said he didn’t want to be a Texan

Whoa. Didn't know that. That's not brotherhood material there. But if he gets selected, I'm sure DQ must have his reasons. 

12 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

That's some condescending BS lmao. We have to trade our 2nd for the Lions 3rd and swap 1sts. Exact same value. That's it. "Do the math," like bruh. 

That is correct, already knew that was there but there are no roster spots for a stand pat move. The point of my post was why are they stockpiling veterans, which was in anticipation of quality (veterans, 1st/2nd picks) over quantity this year. It would make no sense what-so-ever for them to trade their 2nd pick. They could have starting needs at CB/DE/OL. 

Pretty much though it would be self-evident that the 2nd pick was not for sale. The rumor was a 3rd this year and a 4th next year. You can take it as condescending or you can be happy?

12 hours ago, Draftnut57 said:

I think somebody was in the wrong rumor ::yikes:

So you are just funny or just must be in the know, right? What is going to happen, Swami?

45 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

So you are just funny or just must be in the know, right? What is going to happen, Swami?

WEll, if we trade up , I'll admit Im wrong in what I think we will do. But I just can't see us giving any picks for a move up in the first rd.. Now. I do think we will trade up latter.. But it's Draft suicide trading up in the first unless your must have a Franchise QB or if you can get a player like Julio..  I was in love with the thought of us drafting JJ after watching him BJ 11 feet I believe it was.. When I saw his amazing gifts while watching the combines.. I wanted us to draft him more than any other player in my draft in my draft History,, Never dreamed we would get him,,  But for who we need now,, There will be solid players in any position we need.. so that's why I think we stay at 14 and take the best player of need available,, I'm hoping that Christian Wilkins will be available ... if not,, I'm hoping we take the best OL and take a DE in Round 2. And the best DT in round 3. And this best CB in round 4.

2 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

WEll, if we trade up , I'll admit Im wrong in what I think we will do. But I just can't see us giving any picks for a move up in the first rd.. Now. I do think we will trade up latter.. But it's Draft suicide trading up in the first unless your must have a Franchise QB or if you can get a player like Julio..  I was in love with the thought of us drafting JJ after watching him BJ 11 feet I believe it was.. When I saw his amazing gifts while watching the combines.. I wanted us to draft him more than any other player in my draft in my draft History,, Never dreamed we would get him,,  But for who we need now,, There will be solid players in any position we need.. so that's why I think we stay at 14 and take the best player of need available,, I'm hoping that Christian Wilkins will be available ... if not,, I'm hoping we take the best OL and take a DE in Round 2. And the best DT in round 3.

I see.

2 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

I see.

WEll, I know TD and Quinn are not going to be calling me and asking what to do.. But,, I really think I would be great at picking out Quality Talent.. I believe that not only will we have a great draft, I think we will be the team to beat this year.. It's pretty evident they are going all out this year.. Look at all the FAs we have picked up,, Never ever saw it on this fashion.. Old time Church Quote.. But that is exciting for sure.. and to have the #14 pick in what I think is the deepest and strongest Draft in History.. I said that early in the draft study and some on here thought I was off.. But most GMs know this and have said the same thing. I hope we nail this draft because it is the draft to take us to the top if they choose wisely ....

3 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

WEll, I know TD and Quinn are not going to be calling me and asking what to do.. But,, I really think I would be great at picking out Quality Talent.. I believe that not only will we have a great draft, I think we will be the team to beat this year.. It's pretty evident they are going all out this year.. Look at all the FAs we have picked up,, Never ever saw it on this fashion.. Old time Church Quote.. But that is exciting for sure.. and to have the #14 pick in what I think is the deepest and strongest Draft in History.. I said that early in the draft study and some on here thought I was off.. But most GMs know this and have said the same thing. I hope we nail this draft because it is the draft to take us to the top if they choose wisely ....

I have heard both extremes, Knight of God said it is one of the weakest, you say it is one of the strongest.

By the way if you are good at spotting talent, I have a very strong arm, with accuracy. My decision-making might be a little shaky, but that can be fixed. Think you could put a word in for me. Will only accept a starting QB position. Not going to sit on the bench and rot as a B/U.

16 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

I have heard both extremes, Knight of God said it is one of the weakest, you say it is one of the strongest.

By the way if you are good at spotting talent, I have a very strong arm, with accuracy. My decision-making might be a little shaky, but that can be fixed. Think you could put a word in for me. Will only accept a starting QB position. Not going to sit on the bench and rot as a B/U.

Just so you know,, most top evaluators are saying this IS the strongest Draft Class ever.. . I wrote that on this site last month ,, and people heckled.. That doesn't bother me at all,, I know because I study the draft more than most . and why I choose my user name when I joined this site 16  years ago.. .. No I'm not around much in the off season ,, but try to keep up with player movement .. But mostly only hang around during the draft process. But this is being called the Best class ever.. Is it?? I;m not 100% sure,, But It's by far the strongest draft I've ever seen.. So you can argue with NFL net work on that..  They say this IS the strongest class ever ,, and not maybe.  But I can easily agree with that statement. 

22 hours ago, Francis York Morgan said:

People seem to be assured that all our FA signings mean certain positions are squared away or solidified before the draft. Could be that I'm an idiot...but I really feel that this is more about competition and potential depth than it is "solving" problems. Like, most of these guys can be cut with minimal cap impact. Who says they even make it through preseason?

Not saying I dislike what we're doing; if anything it's better than that same ol' crap and UDFAs. But if you really think the Joe Schmoes over here are keeping us from drafting DT and OT, you're in for a shock. 

The last 7-8 FA signings are a million or so off the cap when you consider how cap works with only the highest contracts being evaluated. 

22 hours ago, athell said:

Yeah, somehow I am both delighted and terrified by what they are doing.

Delighted because of the competition.  I cannot recall a time where we have had more bodies competing for starting spots.

Terrified because almost none of these guys are anything to write home about and carry risk on the field.

That said, the way they are structuring these contracts is smart and carry zero risk so we will see what happens.

I think you are overlooking the 'human element' here.   Free agents, at least the ones that are sought after.... those types have demands, one of which is the promise that they will get every chance to earn a spot on a roster.  Not necessarily a full guarantee.....but a reasonable one.   Players have to uproot themselves from wherever they are, and move to a new team's location.  That can be expensive.   Players want to know they are not wasting their time doing all this.   Even for single players this process can get rather..... inconvenient.  For players with wives and\or young children, this can get even more difficult by several orders of magnitude.  Especially if a player's wife has a career.

Lets take the case of Teyler Davison.   Signed a rather lowball deal, because the Falcons expressed an interest in signing him long-term later.  So Davison comes here..... and then the Falcons draft Dexter Lawrence in the first or second round.   Well.... NFL teams only have so much room for so many expensive deals.  Jarrett is getting his.  Lawrence is -gonna- play....so where does Davison fit in, now?  Sure the Falcons could keep both, but players want to -play-. so they can prove themselves, so they can get paid.  

If the Falcons FO does business this way, word will get around....and future FA's will either bypass the Falcons.... or simply demand to get paid upfront.  

I think the Falcons will draft a DT at some point....but as far as a run stuffing NT goes, I think Davison is it.   Besides, TD and DQ apparently have their sights set on other positions, I think anyway....will we still draft Oliver?  We could, but then Oliver isn't a run stuffing NT like Davison.

5 minutes ago, Draftnut57 said:

Just so you know,, most top evaluators are saying this IS the strongest Draft Class ever.. . I wrote that on this site last month ,, and people heckled.. That doesn't bother me at all,, I know because I study the draft more than most . and why I choose my user name when I joined this site 16  years ago.. .. No I'm not around much in the off season ,, but try to keep up with player movement .. But mostly only hang around during the draft process. But this is being called the Best class ever.. Is it?? I;m not 100% sure,, But It's by far the strongest draft I've ever seen.. So you can argue with NFL net work on that..  They say this IS the strongest class ever ,, and not maybe.  But I can easily agree with that statement. 

Which is another reason to keep our picks and get some players in here.   So we can avoid being nickel-and-dimed to death signing vets in FA.

Draftnut57 likes this

21 hours ago, Cheap Talk said:

Think the Falcons are counting on trading up to #8, believe that is the rumor that has merit. That move would decimate their draft numbers if they paid for it this year, and give Detroit a windfall of draft picks.

Most of the FAs they have signed are not going anywhere, so really do not think this is about competition. More about planning for what is coming.

The Falcons are basically saying they would rather fill roster spots with veterans than rooks, which would give the team instant depth. Something that was lacking last year.

Problem with vets is, you get what you get....plus they cost.  Most sign one year deals...which means you have the same hole in your roster next year.

Get some more young players in here to develop.  Some might surprise you, like Grady Jarrett.  Some will develop into starters.  All of them will be with you at least four years.  Its a better long-term plan.

25 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

Problem with vets is, you get what you get....plus they cost.  Most sign one year deals...which means you have the same hole in your roster next year.

Get some more young players in here to develop.  Some might surprise you, like Grady Jarrett.  Some will develop into starters.  All of them will be with you at least four years.  Its a better long-term plan.

If you are going for the gold this year though, then you do what they have done. Developing young talent is very costly, no less in terms of games lost by young talent. Like I said in a previous post, can think of multiple games Rookie players have lost for us over the last 5-years. I you take that out of the equation on any given year you add several Wins. They are going all in this year..

Agreed. They've essentially patched the roster to a point that if the season started today, they can play football. Now it's about finding upgrades over what we have, which is what the draft should be for. 

If you can upgrade Sambrailo into a Cody Ford or Jawaan Taylor, go for it. But you aren't sunk if you miss that opportunity. 

If you can upgrade Vic or Davison, you do it, but are you in bad shape if you don't? Probably not. That's the position you'd wanna be in. That's how you come up on a Calvin Ridley. 

Smiler11 likes this