Francis York Morgan

Free Agency Freakouts

67 posts in this topic

People seem to be assured that all our FA signings mean certain positions are squared away or solidified before the draft. Could be that I'm an idiot...but I really feel that this is more about competition and potential depth than it is "solving" problems. Like, most of these guys can be cut with minimal cap impact. Who says they even make it through preseason?

Not saying I dislike what we're doing; if anything it's better than that same ol' crap and UDFAs. But if you really think the Joe Schmoes over here are keeping us from drafting DT and OT, you're in for a shock. 

The last 7-8 FA signings are a million or so off the cap when you consider how cap works with only the highest contracts being evaluated. 

Yeah, somehow I am both delighted and terrified by what they are doing.

Delighted because of the competition.  I cannot recall a time where we have had more bodies competing for starting spots.

Terrified because almost none of these guys are anything to write home about and carry risk on the field.

That said, the way they are structuring these contracts is smart and carry zero risk so we will see what happens.

12 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

People seem to be assured that all our FA signings mean certain positions are squared away or solidified before the draft. Could be that I'm an idiot...but I really feel that this is more about competition and potential depth than it is "solving" problems. Like, most of these guys can be cut with minimal cap impact. Who says they even make it through preseason?

Not saying I dislike what we're doing; if anything it's better than that same ol' crap and UDFAs. But if you really think the Joe Schmoes over here are keeping us from drafting DT and OT, you're in for a shock. 

The last 7-8 FA signings are a million or so off the cap when you consider how cap works with only the highest contracts being evaluated. 

That's what makes all these signings so great. Lots of competition, lots of flexibility to let the draft come to us, and minimal risk. It's awesome.

Tim Mazetti and Ergo Proxy like this

35 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

From now on we call you Francis Debbie Downer New York peppermint Morgan Freeman, ahhh whatever the fu€k you wanna be called on this board.

49 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

I agree, but the depth was needed.  The apparent on-going overhaul of the OL is encouraging.  We may draft one or two OL's, but I suddenly don't feel as strongly about it as I did a few weeks ago.

This may be a weak OL draft.  I don't know.  If it is, then our FO has dealt with the problem as well as it could. 

Tim Mazetti likes this

24 minutes ago, athell said:

Are you 12?  Grow up.

I ain't the one with a D-Led avatar and making fun of the bus he rode in

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I like them being active but still wish we'd cut Beasley, Bosher and Fusco to free up $18.1M and go after one splash and a couple mid level free agents like Trent Brown, Danny Shelton, Quinton Spain and Bruce Irvin.

Now u talking 

Also..Irvin signed elsewhere

Edited by RING OF HONOR

42 minutes ago, etherdome said:

I agree, but the depth was needed.  The apparent on-going overhaul of the OL is encouraging.  We may draft one or two OL's, but I suddenly don't feel as strongly about it as I did a few weeks ago.

This may be a weak OL draft.  I don't know.  If it is, then our FO has dealt with the problem as well as it could. 

This is one of the best OL drafts in a long time, especially at tackle, and OC. We need to take advantage and take an OG/OC and a T.

49 minutes ago, etherdome said:

This^^^^^^^^^^

Might not draft an OT at all now unless they see a good prospect (LT) fall to them in later rounds.

A possible RB and maybe a WR and I hope a Center..........the remainder could be on D.

RING OF HONOR likes this

Think the Falcons are counting on trading up to #8, believe that is the rumor that has merit. That move would decimate their draft numbers if they paid for it this year, and give Detroit a windfall of draft picks.

Most of the FAs they have signed are not going anywhere, so really do not think this is about competition. More about planning for what is coming.

The Falcons are basically saying they would rather fill roster spots with veterans than rooks, which would give the team instant depth. Something that was lacking last year.

10 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

Think the Falcons are counting on trading up to #8, believe that is the rumor that has merit. That move would decimate their draft numbers if they paid for it this year, and give Detroit a windfall of draft picks.

Most of the FAs they have signed are not going anywhere, so really do not think this is about competition. More about planning for what is coming.

The Falcons are basically saying they would rather fill roster spots with veterans than rooks, which would give the team instant depth. Something that was lacking last year.

The key is balance...we’ve stockpiled quality rookies.  No harm in doing the same with NFL veterans...it may cost us a superstar (Grady), but you can’t have everything.

I’d rather pay Suh-like player and another quality vet for 18 mill than give Grady 20 mill

Cheap Talk likes this

44 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

I like them being active but still wish we'd cut Beasley, Bosher and Fusco to free up $18.1M and go after one splash and a couple mid level free agents like Trent Brown, Danny Shelton, Quinton Spain and Bruce Irvin.

Agree there. Can't believe Beasley's still on the roster. Better hope he balls out.

Just now, Falconsin2012 said:

The key is balance...we’ve stockpiled quality rookies.  No harm in doing the same with NFL veterans...it may cost us a superstar (Grady), but you can’t have everything.  I’d rather pay Suh and another quality vet 18 mill than give Grady 20 mill

Crazy that Suh isn't signed yet. Schraeder's money is off the books soon... >_>

8 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

Low risk, high reward shotgun approach to FA. I personally like it. Most of these guys still potentially have their best football ahead of them.

Buy low, sell high.

I sure hope so.

12 minutes ago, Cheap Talk said:

Wouldn't decimate our draft at all. I do think the idea we're trying to trade up or stockpile Day 2 picks has merit though.

Falconsin2012 likes this

3 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Everyone is on about these trade rumors. If Bosa's there, I can maybe see it. Just don't think our mediocre FA signings have jack to do with any trades.

I love Oliver & Williams, but I really wouldn’t trade up for anyone.  

Maybe 2-3 spots up if D. White is still available

Foye-Debo-White..one can dream.

i would  pencil him in for ROY

16 minutes ago, Francis York Morgan said:

Everyone is on about these trade rumors. If Bosa's there, I can maybe see it. Just don't think our mediocre FA signings have jack to do with any trades.

They do and they don’t at the same time. Has more to do with late round depth. This draft is not very talent rich at all.