Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BLM

[BLM Thoughts] Are QBs no longer untouchable? Sports changing

24 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

With players like Antonio Brown and Leveon Bell holding out in the NFL even while under contract (putting their own future ahead of the team), and more and more NCAA players like Bosa, sitting out to look after their own career, are QBs next?  Looks like the NFL is becoming more and more like the NBA where a player's interest comes first and superstars dictate team composition and front office decisions.

There has been serious talk on Russel Wilson being traded to New York for his own business interests and so he can make more money.  If this trend continues, QBs may no longer be the untouchables as before.  If I was a star QB, I could easily hold out, even while under contract.  Team then could easily go from 10-6 to 4-12, on top of the daily distractions brought to the team.  At this point, what do you do as the FO, except trade him?  QBs have guaranteed money so you'll have to pay him regardless.

Trading your star QB and developing back up QBs may be what's in store in the NFL's future.  Eventually, superstars may want to link up with other superstars just like the NBA, or at the very least, play in the the city he wants, with the coach and FO he wants.  If Maholmes wants out of KC to go to LA to set him up for life outside of football he can do it.  Star QBs may eventually play for multiple teams throughout his career.

And replacing proven QBs by drafting rookie QBs may be a serious strategy to consider in the future.  With Tom Condon as Ryan's agent, who knows what may happen in the next year or 2 if Ryan just decides to hold out in order to get that last contract.

Edited by BLM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's see if Seattle takes the leap and trade Russ first. See how they manage if they do, then we can have a little bit to work with for a discussion before we label it a new wave. Other positions get traded, or not re-signed often. Hardly ever happens with QBs of Russ caliber while in their prime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I highly doubt stuff like this would happen often at all.

 

Mainly because usually star QBs get close to what they want and teams are more than willing to keep them most of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

 

I highly doubt stuff like this would happen often at all.

 

Mainly because usually star QBs get close to what they want and teams are more than willing to keep them most of the time.

But in today's world it's not just about the contract $.  City matters too.  Life after football matters too.  Everyone wants to be in NY or LA.   And eventually, legacy matters too. If you are stud player on a terrible team, why not hold out?

 

If Bills offer 20M and the agent tells him he could probably get 20M, elsewhere as a player, why would I not leave the Bills to go elsewhere?

Edited by BLM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the title of this thread, I thought the NFL was finally going to put flags on the QB's hips like pee wee football.

But to answer the OP. I think it all depends on who is the QB and who is the team. Some QB's are talented headcases, some teams are a headcase. Got to have a match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

QBs are a different breed. I would seriously question any team trading for a guy like Brown at QB. WR you can try to reel in, but QB has to be your team leader. 

Also, I think a lot of bluffs will be called. I think a QB holding out actual games would get a lot uglier than just what Bell did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, E. T. said:

By the title of this thread, I thought the NFL was finally going to put flags on the QB's hips like pee wee football.

But to answer the OP. I think it all depends on who is the QB and who is the team. Some QB's are talented headcases, some teams are a headcase. Got to have a match.

True but the sports world is changing.  There are divas in the NBA, but pretty much every superstar today looks out for their own future now and what legacy they can build.  Diva or not, it's how it is these days.   I mean Kawhi Leonard does it by faking injury and just keeping quiet, while Lebron goes to ESPN for big reveals.  If you aren't doing this, you are really just shortchanging yourself, your kids, and future generations.

Edited by BLM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

QBs are a different breed. I would seriously question any team trading for a guy like Brown at QB. WR you can try to reel in, but QB has to be your team leader. 

Also, I think a lot of bluffs will be called. I think a QB holding out actual games would get a lot uglier than just what Bell did. 

Same and i wonder if that's the future of the NFL.  Guy gets drafted to the Bills, becomes a stud QB, demands to go to LA or NY.  If he gets tagged, he sits out.  Media circus occurs.  Team collapses and goes 4-12 and misses playoffs when they could have gone like 10-6 or whatever.

If he's a super star witha little Diva (like Brown), maybe he'd only want to go to a single city, Bills get a 2nd round for him so that he can go to the city he wants.  You just drafted a stud QB and only got a 2nd round in return.  

College players are willing to sit out for the NFL.  Not a reach to think NFL players are willing to sit out to go to the exact environment they want.

Edited by BLM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BLM said:

True but the sports world is changing.  There are divas in the NBA, but pretty much every superstar today looks out for their own future now and what legacy they can build. 

By saying "Looking out for their future". Do you mean monetarily, health or career? Because every player must make a choice to commit one way or the other. It depends on the individual.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, E. T. said:

By saying "Looking out for their future". Do you mean monetarily, health or career? Because every player must make a choice to commit one way or the other. It depends on the individual.   

monetary and career.  If he was looking out for health, he'd probably just retire early like Patrick Willis and a bunch of guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

26 minutes ago, A Pimp Named Slickback™ said:

Let's see if Seattle takes the leap and trade Russ first. See how they manage if they do, then we can have a little bit to work with for a discussion before we label it a new wave. Other positions get traded, or not re-signed often. Hardly ever happens with QBs of Russ caliber while in their prime.

Will be interesting to see.  And how far Wilson will go.  5 years ago, people would hate you as a player for doing this and call you selfish but culture has changed and sports is a business both for the team and the player.  It's much more accepted today for players to extract as much money as they can.  The NBA is already like this.  NFL is trending that way too.

 

You still have some NFL lifers these days like Fitz on the Cards but in 3 years there may no longer be any lifers.

Edited by BLM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, falconidae said:

Sorry, just noticed this: but Ryan just got 96 mil guaranteed, why would he hold out?

If his agent told him he could get more.  Now I  don't think this will happen because the NFL is not quite there yet, but what's to prevent a QB in the future form doing this?

Edited by BLM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BLM said:

monetary and career.  If he was looking out for health, he'd probably just retire early like Patrick Willis and a bunch of guys.

I reread your first post again, one key word that may keep this trend from happening is "Contract". The whole reason contracts are done in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, E. T. said:

I reread your first post again, one key word that may keep this trend from happening is "Contract". The whole reason contracts are done in the first place.

Players have leverage.  Guaranteed money is guaranteed.  QBs have a lot of power, how many teams lose their QB and go from contenders to bottom dwellers instantly?  He can sit out, cost the team wins and revenue.

Bell got tagged, sat out, and didn't even get paid.  He lost that bet, but it's very possible another player will win that bet and recoup his losses from sitting out.

Edited by BLM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BLM said:

It's much more accepted today for players to extract as much money as they can.  The NBA is already like this.  NFL is trending that way too.

I think the players are more willing to get what they are worth and not get used up I agree 100% I do not think it's more accepted though. Fans still think the player is selfish for the most part, and team will leak stuff and smear a guy if they play hardball w/ them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BLM said:

Players have leverage.  Guaranteed money is guaranteed.  QBs have a lot of power, how many teams lose their QB and go from contenders to bottom dwellers instantly?  He can sit out, cost the team wins and revenue.

Bell got tagged, sat out, and didn't even get paid.  He lost that bet, but it's very possible another player will win that bet and recoup his losses from sitting out.

I'm not sure if I'd take a chance on a QB that just quit his team. It would eventually hurt their chances elsewhere. That power can go both ways, teams can rebuild.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BLM said:

If his agent told him he could get more.  Now I  don't think this will happen because the NFL is not quite there yet, but what's to prevent a QB in the future form doing this?

So, you have no reason to think it'll happen , but felt a need to bring it up?

Ryan has been a Falcon going on 12 years, he hasn't had a single contract issue, signed his rookie deal within 3 weeks of the draft, has gotten a 100 million extension and a 150 mil extension. WTF would he hold out for more money?

 

And, what serious talks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The next CBA will determine a lot of if this becomes possible.  The short an answer would be no it won't happen, especially under the current language.  You don't make more money by holding out because it only takes one team to call your bluff and you just lost your salary for the year.  Premium player yearly salary, especially high end yearly QB salary will be almost impossible to make up in the long run.  If an average player holds at at 8-9 million avg. salary they might be able to make that up with a better long term contract if they can make an avg. 12m, but for a QB already making 30m+ good luck getting bumped to 40m+ to make up losing your yearly salary.  If a lot of players colluded to hold out for trades or increased salaries I imagine the owners would also collude and decide to play hardball with them, but again should be something that's discussed in the next CBA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

7 hours ago, BLM said:

Same and i wonder if that's the future of the NFL.  Guy gets drafted to the Bills, becomes a stud QB, demands to go to LA or NY.  If he gets tagged, he sits out.  Media circus occurs.  Team collapses and goes 4-12 and misses playoffs when they could have gone like 10-6 or whatever.

If he's a super star witha little Diva (like Brown), maybe he'd only want to go to a single city, Bills get a 2nd round for him so that he can go to the city he wants.  You just drafted a stud QB and only got a 2nd round in return.  

College players are willing to sit out for the NFL.  Not a reach to think NFL players are willing to sit out to go to the exact environment they want.

 No, I’m saying the opposite would occur. The team would not give into any trade demand. They would call the QB’s bluff. And all trade offers from other teams would instantly disappear the minute that QB sat out actual games. 

I don’t care if it’s Wilson, Brady, Rodgers, or the next great QB - if he’s willing to sit and watch his team go 4-12, there’s no way in heel I’m ever trading for him if I’m a GM.

Edited by NeonDeion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's always been that way.

Eli said he'd never play for San Diego and was traded to the Giants.

Elway said he'd play baseball instead of the Colts and they traded him to Denver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0