Falcons not operating like they have 9 draft picks

4 minutes ago, vel said:

I just think they're focused on suring up the floor of the roster. I think they end up with at least 7 picks though. We gotta stop acting like the roster is ever good enough. Add as much talent as possible and whoever doesn't stick, so be it. 

Exactly, there are at least a dozen players on the roster that could lose their job to a draft pick. 

1 minute ago, falconidae said:

Exactly, there are at least a dozen players on the roster that could lose their job to a draft pick. 

Yep. Fans always talk about wanting to see competition but have no clue what that means or looks like. "9 draft picks won't make this roster". Ok, but pick 9 players than can push the guys they'd be competing with at least. You saw that just last year with Foye coming in and pushing Duke to the bench. 

1 minute ago, vel said:

Yep. Fans always talk about wanting to see competition but have no clue what that means or looks like. "9 draft picks won't make this roster". Ok, but pick 9 players than can push the guys they'd be competing with at least. You saw that just last year with Foye coming in and pushing Duke to the bench. 

I don't know if using draft capital to simply motivate other current players is the best use of a draft pick. Would be more beneficial to go after the guys you're really in love with. Think of the guys we've moved up to get or guys we've specifically targeted in the 1st. Which one has been a bust? 

10 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

I don't know if using draft capital to simply motivate other current players is the best use of a draft pick. Would be more beneficial to go after the guys you're really in love with. Think of the guys we've moved up to get or guys we've specifically targeted in the 1st. Which one has been a bust? 

Oh it's not to motivate current players, it's to constantly improve the roster. Foye is better than Duke, regardless of draft position. So Foye gets to play football while Duke gets to watch since he sucks. Either get better or be replaced. When you have less draft picks, you have less opportunities.

2 hours ago, etherdome said:

I like your thinking.  I would prefer to use the plethora of picks to impose our will on the draft after day one. 

Exactly,, Why would we give up half of our draft,, And I know it's not half of the picks,, But when you count up the points of the picks we would have to give,, It would be between a half and a third of the total points of all our picks put together.. I know TD and Quinn are to smart for that.. Why on earth would a team give that much to move up about 6 picks???  When there will almost the same value of players that will be there at 14???  TD aint no dummy. You only make that kind of trade when your going after a Franchise QB.

Hey,, don't be shocked if we trade down at 14.... I think there is more of a chance in that than I do in trading up.

54 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Since a lot of sets these days include a third corner, he won’t sit the bench. Next reason not to go in this direction?

Like I said, I would prefer a linemen but I wouldn’t be upset with the best corner In the draft that will play right away and possibly push for the one or two corner spot.

Tru, Oliver, Kazee.

I ain't Einstein but I can count to 3. 

I'm not sure if this was meant to make you look like a smartass or not but come on....

14 hours ago, KCartledge85 said:

Falcons have been signing players like crazy lately with no players being released. The Falcons simply are not operating like they are about to add 9 rookies to the club.  

It feels like two things could happen ...

1 - Trade up from 14 to add one of the premier defensive lineman.

2 - Trade back from 14 to add extra picks, then trade back into the first round to get two picks in the 20s.

The draft could be fascinating.

i honestly believe they are trying to trade up to 8 for ed oliver, however i dont think he makes it past both the giants and the jags. therefore i think in the end your right we trade back and get a cb in the 1st and maybe trade back up for lawrence, tillery, or even simmons. i will say this if were stuck at 14 we can get the 4th best DT, the 2nd or 3rd best OT, or the best CB in the draft. 

51 minutes ago, vel said:

Oh it's not to motivate current players, it's to constantly improve the roster. Foye is better than Duke, regardless of draft position. So Foye gets to play football while Duke gets to watch since he sucks. Either get better or be replaced. When you have less draft picks, you have less opportunities.

id like to add to that, that all of the injuries last year had a silver lining because we got to see what our backups can really do. im sure quinn and td both have a good idea of what we need to improve from them and im sure they are gonna target upgrades, where needed.

31 minutes ago, texasfalconfan said:

i honestly believe they are trying to trade up to 8 for ed oliver, however i dont think he makes it past both the giants and the jags. therefore i think in the end your right we trade back and get a cb in the 1st and maybe trade back up for lawrence, tillery, or even simmons. i will say this if were stuck at 14 we can get the 4th best DT, the 2nd or 3rd best OT, or the best CB in the draft. 

This! I'd rather Greedy than Wilkins if that's who I'm picking between at #14. Give me the best CB. The first round is supposed to be finding the very best player you can. Look at Ridley. Give me Ridley over Taven Bryan three times on Sunday. 

8 minutes ago, texasfalconfan said:

8 minutes ago, vel said:

This! I'd rather Greedy than Wilkins if that's who I'm picking between at #14. Give me the best CB. The first round is supposed to be finding the very best player you can. Look at Ridley. Give me Ridley over Taven Bryan three times on Sunday. 

But is there a real consensus "best" CB in the draft? There seems like a group of like 10 CBs that aren't separated by a whole lot. Baker, Murphy, Williams, Ya-Sin, Johnson, Mullen, Gardner-Johnson, Oruwariye, Layne, Bunting, Love.  You can argue Baker/Murphy/Williams/Ya-Sin might be in a group slightly higher than the others, but I think the value for CB is clearly round 2. I'm starting to think its either OT or DE now in the first unless we move down. DT has value through the 4th round, whereas OT and DE will be long dried up by then.

6 minutes ago, jfalconsp said:

But is there a real consensus "best" CB in the draft? There seems like a group of like 10 CBs that aren't separated by a whole lot. Baker, Murphy, Williams, Ya-Sin, Johnson, Mullen, Gardner-Johnson, Oruwariye, Layne, Bunting, Love.  You can argue Baker/Murphy/Williams/Ya-Sin might be in a group slightly higher than the others, but I think the value for CB is clearly round 2. I'm starting to think its either OT or DE now in the first unless we move down. DT has value through the 4th round, whereas OT and DE will be long dried up by then.

Oh I think there is a quite clear delineation between the top CBs and the next group. I think Greedy, Murphy and Baker are the clear top group. I think Julian Love is next in line then Oruwariye and Mullen rounding out the next trio. From there it's a ton of projection. Bunting, Layne, Joejuan Williams, Ya-Sin, all of those guys are higher ceiling guys but some real questions to their year one potential. 

Agreed it's looking to be DE or OT but I'm not ruling out CB fully. If we can't improve the pass rush in the first, going OT/CB with the first two picks scares me because that CB ain't getting help from the DL and will have to cover longer.

1 minute ago, vel said:

Oh I think there is a quite clear delineation between the top CBs and the next group. I think Greedy, Murphy and Baker are the clear top group. I think Julian Love is next in line then Oruwariye and Mullen rounding out the next trio. From there it's a ton of projection. Bunting, Layne, Joejuan Williams, Ya-Sin, all of those guys are higher ceiling guys but some real questions to their year one potential. 

Agreed it's looking to be DE or OT but I'm not ruling out CB fully. If we can't improve the pass rush in the first, going OT/CB with the first two picks scares me because that CB ain't getting help from the DL and will have to cover longer.

Agreed on this part. It sure seems like we are either going to go CB or OT with our 2nd round pick - so I feel like we have to get someone with pass rush ability with our 1st pick. 

3 hours ago, Malachore said:

Tru, Oliver, Kazee.

I ain't Einstein but I can count to 3. 

I'm not sure if this was meant to make you look like a smartass or not but come on....

Thought Kazee was more of a safety playing corner, but hey, what do I know.

it’s not like we just let a starting corner go or anything. 

But playing a safety on a third WR sounds good to me, Einstein.

(Now that is me being a smartass) 

6 hours ago, Vandy said:

I don’t believe the signings necessarily prove we’re trading up. Last season exposed the lack of depth this team had. 

Yes. I think five or six picks generated with trading shenanigans could top-off some depth issues and bring in some good starting/rotational prospects.

This draft, if things fall right, should put the Falcons' depth issues to rest for the season. I am not adverse to starting rookies since being schooled by DQ in the 2016 draft.

2 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Thought Kazee was more of a safety playing corner, but hey, what do I know.

it’s not like we just let a starting corner go or anything. 

But playing a safety on a third WR sounds good to me, Einstein.

(Now that is me being a smartass) 

Kazee was drafted as a corner. 

He was converted to safety, just like Rico. How you didn't know that I don't understand.

So you can rest easy knowing it's actually a corner playing a 3rd WR, smartass. :)

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

Kazee was drafted as a corner. 

He was converted to safety, just like Rico. How you didn't know that I don't understand.

So you can rest easy knowing it's actually a corner playing a 3rd WR, smartass. :)

You’re Einstein,

And in the process you proved my overall point that we “could” draft a corner since we have a converted safety playing nickel. 

(Signed)cordially yours,

Smartass! :D

1 hour ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

You’re Einstein,

And in the process you proved my overall point that we “could” draft a corner since we have a converted safety playing nickel. 

(Signed)cordially yours,

Smartass! :D

LOL!

I don't doubt they could, just hope they don't @14.