Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jlrfalcon

Is the Draft More Exciting than the Super Bowl for Falcons Fans?

33 posts in this topic

Is it just me or do some fans get more excitement out of the buildup to the draft and its multi-day action than the actual Super Bowl itself even if the Falcons are in it?

I am not saying it is unimportant and something to keep a football fan entertained during the offseason but at what point is it an obsession rather than an interest?  And, oddly, almost no one ever gets the first few picks right much less all the picks in the first round or all the picks for a team.

And, then, no matter how hyped or "certain" players might be, it always seems the real stars on the field never correlate to where they were drafted.  Some of our best players are actually from the 2nd, 4th, 5th rounds while some our biggest duds have come from the 1st.

Do fans in other cities have the same excitement for the draft that fans in Atlanta seem to have?  If our first pick was always near the end of the 1st round, would Falcons fans be as interested in it?

2 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

Is it just me or do some fans get more excitement out of the buildup to the draft and its multi-day action than the actual Super Bowl itself even if the Falcons are in it?

I am not saying it is unimportant and something to keep a football fan entertained during the offseason but at what point is it an obsession rather than an interest?  And, oddly, almost no one ever gets the first few picks right much less all the picks in the first round or all the picks for a team.

And, then, no matter how hyped or "certain" players might be, it always seems the real stars on the field never correlate to where they were drafted.  Some of our best players are actually from the 2nd, 4th, 5th rounds while some our biggest duds have come from the 1st.

Do fans in other cities have the same excitement for the draft that fans in Atlanta seem to have?  If our first pick was always near the end of the 1st round, would Falcons fans be as interested in it?

It is for tankers and mocker fockers.

Flying Falcon likes this

Posted (edited)

IMO 

I enjoyed the draft the way it used to be on Saturday rounds1-3 and Sunday rounds 4-7.  Always looked forward for that weekend. Now its Thursday night round 1 and the remaining rounds on Friday and Saturday . All for the TV prime times and money. So to me the league screwed it up for the fans. 

Also liked it held in NY at Radio City. It was a big event for NFL fans. Now it's less exciting IMO.

Edited by AvidFalconFan
Correction

It's the offseason so this is thr only thing to get excited about... It's a chance to improve your team so you can compete for the SB.

I don't think anybody is more excited about the draft more then the SB tho

Draft season is fun tho... You see how the 2016 draft help take us to another level then the next year the Saints had a draft took them to another level and last year the Colts draft took them to another level.

So yea

Ergo Proxy likes this

The build up to the draft is the high.  It's the hopefulness of it.  The idea that your team will be better than last year.  It's fun to see that process with the tough decisions, the new talent and another year of learning and understanding.  The meta game of guessing who fills those roles is a lot like gambling and a high all by itself. Think about the ungodly hours spent doing detailed mocks that have 0% chance of being correct.

2 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

The build up to the draft is the high.  It's the hopefulness of it.  The idea that your team will be better than last year.  It's fun to see that process with the tough decisions, the new talent and another year of learning and understanding.  The meta game of guessing who fills those roles is a lot like gambling and a high all by itself. Think about the ungodly hours spent doing detailed mocks that have 0% chance of being correct.

yes.  i love the draft.  not as exciting as the sb.  but still.  did you get a look at the nfl prospectus of players?  much different rankings..they have brian burns and noah fant as tier 1 prospects...its Kyle Crabb doing the rankings  (who ever that it)

PokerSteve likes this

Present-day drafts are an exciting time for Falcon fans. The Quinn-TD duo has proven to be much more adept at selecting talent than the Smitty-TD pairing. Back in the Smitty-TD days, the weeks running up to draft day for me were spent more in dread than in excited anticipation.

The Falcons under Smith were just not quite good enough to get to the SB, and you knew from previous drafts you weren't going to see any fresh young athletes bringing salvation from college. Then on draft day you watched as TD picked players we hadn't discussed in TATF.

You'd consistently hear names called for the Falcons and have no idea who they were or what position they played until the announcement. My post-draft black mood would last for days. It's been a refreshing change to draft a.) players we've heard of, b.) players who are recognized as NFL caliber by more than TD and our scout dept. and c.) players from the SEC and ACC, like our Clemson connection, Beasley notwithstanding, lol.

We've got 9 picks and probably more flexibility going into this draft than we've ever had before. Our pick at #14 is middle-of-the-pack, but we already have a strong roster. We really only need about two or three good players to have as good a shot at the SB this season as anybody.

I think it's fair to project we will end up with at least two ~ if not all three of those players by the time this draft is finished ~ thanks to the quality of our present roster, FA pick-ups and Quinn and TD's above-average ability to find starters in later rounds.

Ergo Proxy likes this

2 hours ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

It is for tankers and mocker fockers.

So you don’t watch and give us your armchair Hindsight every year? <_<

NeonDeion likes this

Absolutely I watch all 3 days. Days 2/3 is where u build the team long term. Can’t wait Xmas for football heads. 

25 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

So you don’t watch and give us your armchair Hindsight every year? <_<

Yes but I don't pray for tanker losses or post up 27 mocks that will come nowhere near reality..

Just now, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Yes but I don't pray for tanker losses or post up 27 mocks that will come nowhere near reality..

You know I love what you add to the board and your hilarious takes.

That said, give it a rest about the tanker comments - it’s not funny anymore and it’s the dumbest talk on this board.

just

stop

rings639 likes this

Just now, g-dawg said:

You know I love what you add to the board and your hilarious takes.

That said, give it a rest about the tanker comments - it’s not funny anymore and it’s the dumbest talk on this board.

just

stop

Tankin has never been funny to me.

I'm looking more forward to the final season of Game of Thrones. 

• Sunday 4/14 — Episode one (54 minutes)
  • Sunday 4/21 — Episode two (58 minutes)
  • Sunday 4/28 — Episode three (1 hour, 22 minutes)
  • Sunday 5/5 — Episode four (1 hour, 18 minutes)
  • Sunday 5/12 — Episode five (1 hour, 20 minutes)
  • Sunday 5/19 — Episode six (1 hour, 20 minutes)

1 minute ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Tankin has never been funny to me.

The players don’t tank and just IGNORE IT - every time any fan talks about it it’s wasted effort - players play - fans can want an earlier pick but it doesn’t matter.

don’t even respond to this - take it in and just let it go.   Can you do that?  Can you let it go?  Do you have the ability to let it go? I challenge you to do it.

Just now, g-dawg said:

The players don’t tank and just IGNORE IT - every time any fan talks about it it’s wasted effort - players play - fans can want an earlier pick but it doesn’t matter.

don’t even respond to this - take it in and just let it go.   Can you do that?  Can you let it go?  Do you have the ability to let it go? I challenge you to do it.

I can't and won't.

3 hours ago, Diggable Birds said:

Absolutely I watch all 3 days. Days 2/3 is where u build the team long term. Can’t wait Xmas for football heads. 

I do too ,, but I DVR all of it so I can rewatch and also watch what went on while I was at Church on Sundays.

Diggable Birds and FalconJim like this

7 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

We are ALWAYS in the draft