Jump to content

Ed Oliver could be our "Micheal Bennett"


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, MAD597 said:

I'd rather have Lawrence and then sign Shelton, our interior DL will be set for 5 + years and then all our skill players on defense will be able to feast.

How bout one of those OTs falling to 14 then trading back into the bottom of the 1st to grab Lawrence or Wilkins then you address both sides long term.

At this point in time anything’s possible in the trade up stakes because that’s what it feels like right now.

Everyones talking trade up for EO but if the above scenario happened you trade up and address both sides of the LOS.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

How bout one of those OTs falling to 14 then trading back into the bottom of the 1st to grab Lawrence then you address both sides long term.

At this point in time anything’s possible in the trade up stakes because that’s what it feels like right now.

Everyones talking trade up for EO but if the above scenario happened you trade up and address both sides of the LOS.

Now I would go along with this as long as we get Lawrence...heck I'll even take Baker at 14, and still jump back in the 1st to take Lawrence

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GATXBOI said:

Now I would go along with this as long as we get Lawrence...heck I'll even take Baker at 14, and still jump back in the 1st to take Lawrence

It’s just another option man.

I see alot have it locked that’s its EO.For me I don’t do absolutism so I’m looking at all possibilities.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

how many no brainer run downs do you think their are in the course of an NFL game?

have you seen Ed Oliver defend the run?  he's probably better at that than passrush.

He's better at defending the run as a 1 tech at Houston. I would have loved to see him in the ACC or SEC versus 4 and 5 star talent. Before you make the K. Mack comparison....there were several small school DEs...notably Osi Unenyoira and Demarcus Ware from Troy. Its a whole lot different on the edge. You usually go up against the best athlete on the OL. At DT....on the inside...its much different. 

Donald get tons of penetration vs the run and we all know his pass rush prowess..yet you look up and Rams get run over even with Suh next to him.  Bottom 3rd in league vs the run. Thats with a strong run game and 2 studs. Ask yourself why.....they are built for pass rush. Not stopping run..

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Stryka said:

He's better at defending the run as a 1 tech at Houston. I would have loved to see him in the ACC or SEC versus 4 and 5 star talent. Before you make the K. Mack comparison....there were several small school DEs...notably Osi Unenyoira and Demarcus Ware from Troy. Its a whole lot different on the edge. You usually go up against the best athlete on the OL. At DT....on the inside...its much different. 

Donald get tons of penetration vs the run and we all know his pass rush prowess..yet you look up and Rams get run over even with Suh next to him.  Bottom 3rd in league vs the run. Thats with a strong run game and 2 studs. Ask yourself why.....they are built for pass rush. Not stopping run..

It’s as simple as looking at the top paid DTs and what their best traits are.

Runstopper specialists are like running backs and catchers in baseball- mostly a commoditized position.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Stryka said:

He's better at defending the run as a 1 tech at Houston. I would have loved to see him in the ACC or SEC versus 4 and 5 star talent. Before you make the K. Mack comparison....there were several small school DEs...notably Osi Unenyoira and Demarcus Ware from Troy. Its a whole lot different on the edge. You usually go up against the best athlete on the OL. At DT....on the inside...its much different. 

Donald get tons of penetration vs the run and we all know his pass rush prowess..yet you look up and Rams get run over even with Suh next to him.  Bottom 3rd in league vs the run. Thats with a strong run game and 2 studs. Ask yourself why.....they are built for pass rush. Not stopping run..

Either way he neexs work at hand usage. Hmm an elite athlete that needs work on hand usage at @8? History truly.does.repeat.

The fact that Beasley may qs well have hooves for hands doesnt fill me with confidence that he will learn that here.

Edited by ATLSlobberKnockers
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm... from the OP:

"Ed Oliver could be our Michael Bennett"

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/players-roster/michael-bennett/

^Height: 6-2

Weight: 287 lbs

... We do have Michael Bennett...but...wait

 
Quote

 

Ed Oliver
Physical traits

Description

Edward Oliver is an American football defensive tackle. He played college football at Houston. Wikipedia
 
Height: 6′ 2″
Weight: 287 lbs

 

WsVdlFh.gif
 
manning.jpg.95116eea079971511f64b60122c0c1ca.jpg
Conclusion:
Ed Oliver is on the roster already:slick:
It's basically public knowledge.:mmmhmm:
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

How bout one of those OTs falling to 14 then trading back into the bottom of the 1st to grab Lawrence or Wilkins then you address both sides long term.

At this point in time anything’s possible in the trade up stakes because that’s what it feels like right now.

Everyones talking trade up for EO but if the above scenario happened you trade up and address both sides of the LOS.

I'd rather just stay at 14 and grab Lawrence we can target the best OT with our 2nd rd pick who is left on the board. We need to use all our picks this year for long term depth and cap relief keeping more guys on rookie contracts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

I'd rather just stay at 14 and grab Lawrence we can target the best OT with our 2nd rd pick who is left on the board. We need to use all our picks this year for long term depth and cap relief keeping more guys on rookie contracts.

Could well do that.

I just think outside of those top 3 guys the drop off at OT is a bit greater than it is at DT.

Even if they use the 9 picks all aren’t making the roster.The guys who they have signed are easy outs to relieve a bit of cap if needs be down the road.

It also looks like they are filling the bottom of the roster in with depth and are looking to make a move up somewhere in the draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

Either way he neexs work at hand usage. Hmm an elite athlete that needs work on hand usage at @8? History truly.does.repeat.

The fact that Beasley may qs well have hooves for hands doesnt fill me with confidence that he will learn that here.

Yea its tough not to draw a parallel but I get it. I want an elite football player who plays nasty. I see a lot of Fletcher Cox in Quinnen. I dont see the Rod Coleman or Donald in Oliver. I think he can be a terror but more as a 3tech and I would still want more size to rotate with. 

I wouldnt trade up for him. I would for Quinnen though. Dude is going to be a monster imo. Im not impressed by the guys who are nore athlete than football player. They usually have higher bust potential. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Stryka said:

Yea its tough not to draw a parallel but I get it. I want an elite football player who plays nasty. I see a lot of Fletcher Cox in Quinnen. I dont see the Rod Coleman or Donald in Oliver. I think he can be a terror but more as a 3tech and I would still want more size to rotate with. 

I wouldnt trade up for him. I would for Quinnen though. Dude is going to be a monster imo. Im not impressed by the guys who are nore athlete than football player. They usually have higher bust potential. 

Now i agree with Quinnen. Dude is.day one pro.ready. The most polished player in the draft. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2019 at 10:16 PM, Stryka said:

Who is the 1 tech on run downs?? I think Oliver can add to the team and play all over the DL but do you draft an undersized DT to play base DE? Is he going to be a good pass rusher from there? Bennett has quickness and is adept at playing the edge. Bennett can go over, around and through an OT. Oliver is not an edge guy. He is almost exclusively a 4-3 DT imo. 

oliver played nose most of his snaps at houston.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2019 at 11:35 PM, NWFALCON said:

It will be interesting. A large group wants Ed and a large group doesn’t. I predict some pissy Cheerios come draft night haha. 

Man I’m excited for the draft regardless of how the Cheerios end up smelling Thursday night. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, red falcon said:

I know im tired of the falcons losing players in their prime that they drafted and it just started.  Im ok with rocky gone disappointed about teco. Possibly grady next year and more. I know nothing is fair just dont think its right the way its set up.

As long as we keep Deion and Keanu I’m a happy man. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Stryka said:

He doesn't project as a NT in the NFL. You cant find a single guy in the NFL at 285 lbs that plays NT on any regular basis. Houston and the NFL are vastly different. 

Doesn't mean Oliver can't play all over the DL in sub-packages nor does he need to play 1T in base defense with 3 guys that have experience at 1T on the roster as it is.

We need DE and 3T help. Crawford is in his final year behind Grady. Not hard to upgrade, despite his decent year. AC signing instantly is our most consistent pressure generating DE. No one was consistent generating pressure other than Grady inside.

Oliver is going to do more to make the pass rush lethal if Grady was doing all the work on the line himself last year with Takk and VB playing so mediocre overall.

We are missing our Shelby/Upshaw/Bennett type. Crawford isn't really it and we have yet to replace Shelby. Means replaces Reed. AC is also on a rental.

Oliver can be that DE in base and inside vs the pass. Not a problem. Love me some flexibility. Let's go. Dynamic lineup instead of stale rush 4 like we had last year. YUCK!

We need a likely beast mode DL on a rookie deal for 4-5 years. Worth a move up if he falls within range. And I mean with Grady on a big contract. Period. By the time Oliver comes due, Grady could be moved after year 4 of the new deal worst case. EZ.

Next year we have:

Takk signed

As of today:

GJ, Jack, VB, Means, AC all are FAs...

Edited by Ergo Proxy
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...