Tim Mazetti

Falcons' Get Their Bookend OT In Mock

31 posts in this topic

Falcons land OT Jonah Williams with the 14th pick in the annual SB Nation mock draft

The Falcons get their bookend tackle after top defensive line talent flies off the board.

By Dave Choate Apr 11, 2019, 1:03pm EDT

You can’t always get what you want, as the Rolling Stones once sang, but if you try sometimes, you just might find you get Jonah Williams.

Those words were never truer than they were today, when I wound up snagging the Alabama tackle in SB Nation’s annual mock draft. This happened after my top five defensive linemen—Nick Bosa, Ed Oliver, Quinnen Williams, Brian Burns, and Montez Sweat—all were snapped up by teams in front of me, and hulking right tackle Jawaan Taylor went one pick to the Dolphins in front of me. That’s not the outcome I was hoping for, if we’re being candid, but Williams is a **** of a consolation prize.

Williams has drawn favorable comparisons to Jake Matthews. He’s an inch short and a couple of pounds lighter at the moment, but like Matthews, he’s quick, an excellent technician, and profiles to be a quality long-term starter in the NFL. As a bookend to Matthews, he has a chance to be good right away and excellent over the long haul, and his rookie deal gives the Falcons the opportunity to keep that tandem together for 4-5 seasons, which probably coincides with the remaining great years of Matt Ryan’s career, give or take a couple. It’s not the exact pick I wanted and it puts real pressure on the Falcons to nail their defensive selections later on, but Williams is value here and the offense is effectively complete for 2019 with this pick.

Could I have gone with another top player on Dan Kadar’s board? Yeah. Jeffery Simmons won’t be an option for Atlanta that high, though, given his character concerns, and Christian Wilkins and Rashan Gary are not players I’m in love with, the former because he doesn’t figure to be an impact pass rusher and the latter because his inconsistency makes him a real gamble this early.

Here’s what Mocking The Draft guru Dan Kadar had to say about the pick:

This pick was really shocking until the final part of the explanation. Surely if Clemson defensive tackle Christian Wilkins is there, he makes a lot of sense. He’s arguably one of the 10 best players in this draft, and not far behind Oliver as a prospect. He’s a great fit, a great value, and fans would love him.

That line about Ryan’s last great years is sticking with me, though. It’s easy to forget that Ryan turns 34 in May and that he’s been in the NFL since 2008. Ryan was excellent last season, but if the line in front of him is shaky he could regress some. A player like Williams, who played right tackle at Alabama in 2016 and became a Freshman All-American, should fit fine on that side in the NFL.

It’s a fascinating discussion, though, on which position the Falcons need more in the first round. I am hoping Sweat is there sans a trade-up. Edge first if possible.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2019/4/11/18301999/falcons-land-alabama-ot-jonah-williams-with-the-14th-pick-in-the-annual-sb-nation-mock-draft-2019

gazoo likes this

Posted (edited)

Jonah Williams gets hate for a bad performance in the national championship game but he has been a stud tackle throughout his college career playing in the best division. If this pick is intended to step in at RT, I'm more comfortable with William's than Ford. It's not as sexy because the ceiling isn't as high, but he has very little bust potential imo. 

Edited by Artys Arryn

1 minute ago, Artys Arryn said:

very little busy potential imo. 

Auto correct screwing with your posts?

If bust potential............... I agree and would not cry over this scenario.

Artys Arryn and Stryka like this

Posted (edited)

Could be worse...

Honestly, if we solved RT for the rest of our “window”; depending on how the FO sees Ty truly, then I can live with Jonah as a RT since he relies on technique. You can always get stronger as a younger player moving forward.

Problem is I don’t see him starting right away but the balance of that is do you risk a pick at 14 of the remaining DL being a waste that high?

Makes you wish we went LB or CB if you are “settling” in trenches at 14. Sort of like when we took CR over any DL at 26.

These scenarios as in the OP are “worst case” and can live with; on the basis on whether the rest of the draft can yield contributors on Defense and long term starters on D.

BUT

This also validates using a 3rd to move up for YOUR GUY; like in the Oliver speculation thread, and also validates the idea of trading down as being more optimal than staying at 14 if this scenario unfolds and you didn’t trade up.

Worst case is you don’t get enough contributors at a high level year 1 and you waste a year...

^Therefore, if settling isn’t optimal you best believe it a guy we love falls within our trade up range we gonna try to make that deal. All about the cost.

4 picks in rounds 4&5 means you can move back up.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

19 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Auto correct screwing with your posts?

If bust potential............... I agree and would not cry over this scenario.

Autocorrect doing me dirty. New phone and it has the weirdest autocorrects.

9 minutes ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

If we don’t go up for Oliver or Williams . I hope we go Ford at 14. I’m not a fan of Jonah playing tackle at this level . 

I worry about Ford in pass protection. He's a mauler but I'm afraid he doesn't have the athleticism to match up with some rushers (would likely be a Probowl guard though). Jonah doesn't wow you when you watch him but he is a complete prospect. This debate gives me flashbacks to Greg Robinson vs. Jake Matthews.

20 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Could be worse...

Honestly, if we solved RT for the rest of our “window”; depending on how the FO sees Ty truly, then I can live with Jonah as a RT since he relies on technique. You can always get stronger as a younger player moving forward.

Problem is I don’t see him starting right away but the balance of that is do you risk a pick at 14 of the remaining DL being a waste that high?

Makes you wish we went LB or CB if you are “settling” in trenches at 14. Sort of like when we took CR over any DL at 26.

These scenarios as in the OP are “worst case” and can live with; on the basis on whether the rest of the draft can yield contributors on Defense and long term starters on D.

BUT

This also validates using a 3rd to move up for YOUR GUY; like in the Oliver speculation thread, and also validates the idea of trading down as being more optimal than staying at 14 if this scenario unfolds and you didn’t trade up.

Worst case is you don’t get enough contributors at a high level year 1 and you waste a year...

^Therefore, if settling isn’t optimal you best believe it a guy we love falls within our trade up range we gonna try to make that deal. All about the cost.

Well stroked.

I like the argument for the protection of Ryan, without which there is absolutely no chance.

At least there are some big bodies available later in the draft for the DT rotation, but this scenario all the worthy EDGE guys are gone except Burns, who is a little light in the ***. And I agree with the mock then.

Ergo Proxy likes this

29 minutes ago, Artys Arryn said:

Autocorrect doing me dirty. New phone and it has the weirdest autocorrects.

I worry about Ford in pass protection. He's a mauler but I'm afraid he doesn't have the athleticism to match up with some rushers (would likely be a Probowl guard though). Jonah doesn't wow you when you watch him but he is a complete prospect. This debate gives me flashbacks to Greg Robinson vs. Jake Matthews.

How exactly? Which is which?

41 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

How exactly? Which is which?

Jake Matthews being the technician. Not overly powerful but has learned all the tricks to nullify rushers. Always a super highly rated prospect, mocked in the top 10 pre-final season. = Williams

Greg Robinson wowing everyone with pancake blocks and nastiness. Running Guz Malzan's crazy run game with few true pass sets. = Ford

4 minutes ago, Artys Arryn said:

Jake Matthews being the technician. Not overly powerful but has learned all the tricks to nullify rushers. Always a super highly rated prospect, mocked in the top 10 pre-final season. = Williams

Greg Robinson wowing everyone with pancake blocks and nastiness. Running Guz Malzan's crazy run game with few true pass sets. = Ford

Actually relevant take. Nice work. Makes Ford a definite OG look and long-term RT developmental pick.

Artys Arryn and Tim Mazetti like this

4 minutes ago, Artys Arryn said:

That's a interesting analogy. 

I'm gonna get flamed for this but I want White if we trade up. I know, I know, I know we need to build the trenches but White and Debo playing side by side makes my hammer move a little. I was ran out of town last year when I said that I wanted Ridley btw.

Ergo Proxy, Artys Arryn and duckhoa like this

Just now, SpongeDad said:

I'm gonna get flamed for this but I want White if we trade up. I know, I know, I know we need to build the trenches but White and Debo playing side by side makes my hammer move a little. I was ran out of town last year when I said that I wanted Ridley btw.

I don't mind taking White because it's an easy selection to be excited for. I'm one of the locked-in-on-Ed posters but I could easily console myself with expectations for White and Debo. It also isn't that crazy because it's a huge upgrade from Foye and this is likely Campbell's last season as a Falcon. 

SpongeDad, Ergo Proxy and duckhoa like this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Could be worse...

BUT

I dont like it because Sambrailo could possibly be the guy for next 4 or 5 like Schrader was. Jonah offers little value over what we have. He isnt an immediate upgrade imo. Could he be close to Bloodline? Maybe but he isnt as talented and he doesnt have the "bloodline" or surety we had with Jake. 

I do agree about validation. Get your guy if the talent available later isnt of value you deemed. 

Edited by Stryka
Tim Mazetti and Ergo Proxy like this

Posted (edited)

38 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

35 minutes ago, Artys Arryn said:

I don't mind taking White because it's an easy selection to be excited for. I'm one of the locked-in-on-Ed posters but I could easily console myself with expectations for White and Debo. It also isn't that crazy because it's a huge upgrade from Foye and this is likely Campbell's last season as a Falcon. 

While I can see having either of the Devin's here, it just screams roster need along the DL still. We have more overturn there coming than the LB core; presuming only Vondre leaves and we can put off LB until 2020. Foye could still take a nice jump this coming year as it is.

You'd have to nail some other DL moves this draft for starters, and perhaps have Senat become a monster year 2 to justify it. 

Still have to rush the passer...but it would improve our flexibility some in Nickel and could help our base D; given the snap totals a LB would garner.

It's an approach you have to go all-in on...but trading up for it when the major roster turnover is DL coming up? (GJ, VB, AC, Means, and Crawford all on 1 year remaining contracts as of this post)

Edited by Ergo Proxy

Saw "bookend OT" and thought, "there's no way they're referring to Jonah Williams right?"

sure enough

3 hours ago, Artys Arryn said:

Jonah Williams gets hate for a bad performance in the national championship game but he has been a stud tackle throughout his college career playing in the best division. If this pick is intended to step in at RT, I'm more comfortable with William's than Ford. It's not as sexy because the ceiling isn't as high, but he has very little bust potential imo. 

No, don’t do it.