Falconsfan567

Ozzie Albies Extended!!

75 posts in this topic

There are a lot of angry people that we signed him for that little. 

Truth is, Ozzie sees how much other players are getting; he agreed to the deal; and no one forced him to sign it. Maybe he just wants to take the guaranteed money now?

Drew4719, g-dawg and Falconsfan567 like this

1 minute ago, tl;dr said:

There are a lot of angry people that we signed him for that little. 

Truth is, Ozzie sees how much other players are getting; he agreed to the deal; and no one forced him to sign it. Maybe he just wants to take the guaranteed money now?

Go watch the press conference I posted on the 1st page. Ozzie explains why he took the deal. He ain't complaining!! Folks want to act like Ozzie is a victim and it's just ridiculous!!

2 minutes ago, Black Francis said:

How is AA getting these players and their agents to agree to these bad contacts? There has to be something we don’t know.

It's called wanting to play for the Braves and gaining immediate long-term security!! If I were 21 or 22 years old and someone offered me Ozzie or Acuna's deal I'd take it in a heartbeat and not think twice about it!!

Drew4719 and BamaBirdLady like this

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

It's called wanting to play for the Braves and taking immediate long-term security!! If I were 21 or 22 years old and someone offered me Ozzie or Acuna's deal I'd take it in a heartbeat and not think twice about it!!

I get that but he probably could have gotten twice that much. 

Spts1 and Malachore like this

5 minutes ago, Black Francis said:

I get that but he probably could have gotten twice that much. 

Well, yeah, he could have easily gotten at least $60 or $70 on this deal, especially when you look at the deal the White Sox signed Eloy Jimenez to prior to him ever playing a single MLB game. But when you've made less than $1M in your entire life, is there really that much difference between $35M and $70M? Not really. I don't know what Ozzie's upfront signing bonus is on this deal but it's probably got to be easily 5 or 10 times greater than the base salary he was making for this season. Like I said, if someone offered me this deal I take it in a heartbeat. I don't hold out to gain double because that immediate signing bonus is needed. We got to remember the family situation that Ozzie and Acuna are coming from. How much of this money is being sent back to their home country to help their families out?

I'm reading that execs, agents and players are saying this might be the worst contract ever for a player.

While I love the deal as a Braves fan I hate that on such a special day for Ozzie he has to read others saying this.

7 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Well, yeah, he could have easily gotten at least $60 or $70 on this deal, especially when you look at the deal the White Sox signed Eloy Jimenez to prior to him ever playing a single MLB game. But when you've made less than $1M in your entire life, is there really that much difference between $35M and $70M? Not really. I don't know what Ozzie's upfront signing bonus is on this deal but it's probably got to be easily 5 or 10 times greater than the base salary he was making for this season. Like I said, if someone offered me this deal I take it in a heartbeat. I don't hold out to gain double because that immediate signing bonus is needed. We got to remember the family situation that Ozzie and Acuna are coming from. How much of this money is being sent back to their home country to help their families out?

I get signing early but I think he could have gotten more now. Like today. His agent sucks.  

2 minutes ago, Black Francis said:

I get signing early but I think he could have gotten more now. Like today. His agent sucks.  

Yeah. And I agreed with you.

11 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Bro :lol:

Just now, Falconsfan567 said:

Yeah. And I agreed with you.

I just don’t want these young players to get frustrated when they finally get older and realize that they’ve made deals that are not comparable to their counterparts It could be a problem. 

1 minute ago, Malachore said:

Bro :lol:

When you've never seen $1M? Yeah, I'm speaking from personal experience here. I don't care about the difference between $35M or $70M.

Apparently some people are starting to believe  the braves held ozzie family hostage, which is why he said "to keep his family safe." Lol.

RING OF HONOR likes this

20 minutes ago, Nereek said:

Apparently some people are starting to believe  the braves held ozzie family hostage, which is why he said "to keep his family safe." Lol.

:lol: I cant read anything else after this

Malachore likes this

1 hour ago, Falconsfan567 said:

When you've never seen $1M? Yeah, I'm speaking from personal experience here. I don't care about the difference between $35M or $70M.

I guess I'm just greedy then especially when I know I could come back next year and probly get that.

Hes probly making 500 K this year that and exactly chump change that he can't support his family on.

30 minutes ago, Nereek said:

He has a very specific set of skills. 

g-dawg likes this

Im pretty sure if both Acuna and Ozzie outplay their deals....The Braves would have no problem tweaking them to get them more money...with the backlash they're getting...they might even feel obligated too...

g-dawg and BamaBirdLady like this

They could just out of good faith but they aren't obligated to. All parties agreed to these deals. The Braves didnt force this on anyone. Albies and Acuna wanted financial security and the ability to play in Atlanta for a long time. It says a lot about the organization and the culture there. It's also going to make free agents want to be here. People are going to want to play with this core.

If you're wondering, Anthopolous said they still have plenty of room to add to the team. He said it could be via trade or free agency but they have the resources still.