Falcons Fan MVP

Do you wish now we would have lost at Tampa Bay with all this trade down talk?

177 posts in this topic

With all these rumors about us trading down it kind of makes me wish we would have lost at Tampa Bay which would have given us a much better opportunity in the draft. I think we lost like 5-6 spots by winning that game. From what I heard we would lose a 3rd round pick and a 4th round pick for next year. There is a part of me that wishes Arthur would have told Quinn to play the back ups and tanked us. I don't like losing draft picks like that. By winning our last 3 games we still lost our coordinators so no jobs were saved. I know it would be almost impossible to justify losing to the Cardinals even with our backups. I did feel happy that we won the last 3 games. I just have mixed feelings about this. I know a real fan always wants their team to win but it may have been in our best interest to lose 1 or 2 more games last year. How do you guys feel about this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

TANK is TATF’s  most notorious 4 letter word.  

Be wary, cause FFS1970 is coming & helll is coming with with him....you hear me!!!  Hellll is coming with him!!!

Sorry, Tombstone got stuck in my head

 

Great movie.....it still holds up very very well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, because when people look back at the coaches and the players careers, they don't remember circumstances for loses or bad performances. Just like they won't remember all the injuries, poor offensive line, no running game or anything else. Just like Ryan's INTs, they are forever his, his fault or not. If the Falcons had talked the whole season, those performances would always be held against the players and the coaches, even if they were told to tank. You play to win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Great movie.....it still holds up very very well

“You’re just the drunk piano player.  Bet you’re so drunk you’re probably seeing double.

Well I got 2 guns, one for the both of ya”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NeonDeion said:

As a proud tanker, yes. Should players not try to win? Or course not, that’s dumb. But can coaches play backups and work on developing guys? Of course. There’s nothing against the rules in doing so. The goal is to win rings. Period. It’s not cheating. 

Lovie Smith did that for the Bucs one year. They ended up getting Winston out of it.

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Lovie Smith did that for the Bucs one year. They ended up getting Winston out of it.

Shtty drafting has nothing to do with tanking. Absolutely nothing. I never in a million years would draft a thief to be my QB and team leader for a decade. 

Edited by NeonDeion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

Shtty drafting has nothing to do with tanking. Absolutely nothing. I never in a million years would draft a thief to be my QB and team leader for a decade. 

I hate that "you can miss on a top 5 pick" argument. It's true, but we also know that probability is a thing. I'm not mad at the team for winning, it's pretty obvious that the coaches/players are fighting for spots and can't afford to tank.

But we would've been is such a good position if we finished 5-11 instead of 7-9. Those last couple wins were so ******* frustrating to watch. 

vitaman likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

I hate that "you can miss on a top 5 pick" argument. It's true, but we also know that probability is a thing. I'm not mad at the team for winning, it's pretty obvious that the coaches/players are fighting for spots and can't afford to tank.

But we would've been is such a good position if we finished 5-11 instead of 7-9. Those last couple wins were so ******* frustrating to watch. 

Tanking is a strategic move and they used it in the NBA and nobody blinked an eye - everyone said it was the NBA’s responsibility to fix, but no one blamed the teams for doing it. 

You never ask the players to stop trying. That’s just wrong. But coaches can play backups. There’s nothing wrong with that. 

JeffAtl and Boise Falcon Fan like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NeonDeion said:

Tanking is a strategic move and they used it in the NBA and nobody blinked an eye - everyone said it was the NBA’s responsibility to fix, but no one blamed the teams for doing it. 

You never ask the players to stop trying. That’s just wrong. But coaches can play backups. There’s nothing wrong with that. 

I'd argue job security is higher in the NBA, and having a high pick is also more important in the NBA than it is in the NFL. NBA is much more superstar-oriented than the NFL is.

Patriots draft near the end of the first round every single year and always somehow manage to reload. NFL owners know this and don't want to see their coaches that they hire to win ball games tank games away. 

I don't think the coaches should intentionally tank. I just PERSONALLY would rather us lose a few meaningless games than win them for the sake of morale.

dodge_birds_fan and vitaman like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

I'd argue job security is higher in the NBA, and having a high pick is also more important in the NBA than it is in the NFL. NBA is much more superstar-oriented than the NFL is.

Patriots draft near the end of the first round every single year and always somehow manage to reload. NFL owners know this and don't want to see their coaches that they hire to win ball games tank games away. 

I don't think the coaches should intentionally tank. I just PERSONALLY would rather us lose a few meaningless games than win them for the sake of morale.

We can’t use Pats as an example for anything. BB could give away all his picks every year and still win with guys on vet min. 

I don’t think the rest matter. NBA is more concentrated talent, sure. But top 10 of any draft in any sport is still top 10. It matters 

Edited by NeonDeion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeep . I knew winning those pointless games would come back to haunt us around this time . Oh well now we gotta pay to play . Is what it is ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the end, would it have mattered anyway? The result would be the same regardless of draft position.

1 - Falcons lose out, draft a guy, and threads come in mass on how bad the pick was.

2 - The current result of winning, losing prime draft position, and threads non-stop on how they wasted draft position by winning "meaningless games"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, we'd be in much better position if we lost a few more games. If you aren't going to the playoffs and can't even get a winning record tanking is the only positive thing remaining you can do. Sad we even failed at that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NeonDeion said:

As a proud tanker, yes. Should players not try to win? Or course not, that’s dumb. But can coaches play backups and work on developing guys? Of course. There’s nothing against the rules in doing so. The goal is to win rings. Period. It’s not cheating. 

Yep, when your team is eliminated from the playoffs and a winning record coaches should experiment, get depth players experience and try different things and put winning on the back burnet.

Losing in these cases is actually better for the team in the long run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now