FalconAge

Lawrence, Hageman and Jarrett = Not Fair

43 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

If we were to walk into the 2019 NFL season with a Defensive Tackle rotation that includes Dexter Lawrence  Rashede Hageman and Grady Jarrett, there won't be a situation we wouldn't be scary at defending.

In a 50/50 pass/run= Lawrence/Jarrett

Our balanced line-up. Against the run Lawrence clogs the lane and frees Jarrett to shoot the gap for a TFL. Lawrence has enough length and agility to move down the line to clean-up missed assignments. Against the pass Lawrence still has enough power to cave in the pocket and let Jarrett and company feast on the ensuing chaos.

70/30 pass/run= Hageman/Jarrett

Our Get-to-the-f'n-quaterback line-up. Hageman was only scratching the surface in the 2016 playoffs, and he is big enough and strong enough to command extra attention on any given play. Grady does what he does best, and shows his agility and ever-developing technique to go around what should be a single blocker. 

30/70  pass/run= Lawrence/Hageman

Our Closed-Border line-up. Lawrence and Hageman both have incredible length and power and can effectively patrol 4 gaps simultaneously. If it's a run, it's only chance for ending well is outside, which is perfect for Neal/Jones to come and clean up. In the off-chance that the play is a pass, those  34" arms should come in somewhat handy. Shede didnt even seem to be trying all that hard when he blocked a few FGs last time he was with us.

Add in Jack-Of- All Crawford spelling at UT on pass plays and at DE on run plays and we have potentially the most capable interior that has existed in Atlanta in ages.

With our guys coming back and Quinn taking the reins, it would just take something like Takk or Isiah Oliver developing to catapult us to a top-tier overall defense in the league. This of course hinges on Hageman being in football shape, but he looks good in the recent pictures and has ample reason to be motivated.

Edited by FalconAge

17 minutes ago, FalconAge said:

If we were to walk into the 2019 NFL season with a Defensive Tackle rotation that includes Dexter Lawrence  Rashede Hageman and Grady Jarrett, there won't be a situation we wouldn't be scary at defending.

In a 50/50 pass/run= Lawrence/Jarrett

Our balanced line-up. Against the run Lawrence clogs the lane and frees Jarrett to shoot the gap for a TFL. Lawrence has enough length and agility to move down the line to clean-up missed assignments. Against the pass Lawrence still has enough power to cave in the pocket and let Jarrett and company feast on the ensuing chaos.

70/30 pass/run= Hageman/Jarrett

Our Get-to-the-f'n-quaterback line-up. Hageman was only scratching the surface in the 2016 playoffs, and he is big enough and strong enough to command extra attention on any given play. Grady does what he does best, and shows his agility and ever-developing technique to go around what should be a single blocker. 

30/70  pass/run= Lawrence/Hageman

Our Closed-Border line-up. Lawrence and Hageman both have incredible length and power and can effectively patrol 4 gaps simultaneously. If it's a run, it's only chance for ending well is outside, which is perfect for Neal/Jones to come and clean up. In the off-chance that the play is a pass, those  34" arms should come in somewhat handy. Shede didnt even seem to be trying all that hard when he blocked a few FGs last time he was with us.

Add in Jack-Of- All Crawford spelling at UT on pass plays and at DE on run plays and we have potentially the most capable interior that has existed in Atlanta in ages.

With our guys coming back and Quinn taking the reins, it would just take something like Takk or Isiah Oliver developing to catapult us to a top-tier overall defense in the league. This of course hinges on Hageman being in football shape, but he looks good in the recent pictures and has ample reason to be motivated.

We have Crawford and Senat. Also Clayborn rushes inside a food bit.

Posted (edited)

19 minutes ago, FalconBlood said:

We have Crawford and Senat. Also Clayborn rushes inside a food bit.

Clayborn?

Didn't know we re-signed him. Nice

Edited by The_Realist

Posted (edited)

IIRC Hageman was actually a really good run defender 

And I agree. That would be a dominant line and VB would finally be free to get 16 sacks again 

Edited by NeonDeion
Falcons Fan MVP and cportcuz like this

This is WAR! We have seen first hand it takes a lot of quality depth, great coaching, great draft, moves and luck to get through a season, and make a run at the SB. We can't be caught overconfident again. PLEASE THIS IS THE NFL! We don't have the money to spend so we have to look at our options and not stand pat. To take a chance on Hagerman with a low cost contract with contingencies is a smart move. On certain plays this 6:6-360 LB beast and GJ will wreck havoc and will make VB and TAAK better, help our LB's  get to the runner and we'll still have Senat, Crawford, and whomever we draft. That's a real tough NFL D-LINE. It may also give us the luxury in the draft to go after an OL in the 1st. But some people just don't want him here at any cost. Everyone has their right to their opinion on this BOARD. I respect that and the FO has a plan. But I just pray that the FO would one day do as AB claimed? " WE WON'T LEAVE NO STONE UNTURNED!" they did last year.

Flyin' In DC likes this

Yall are gassing Hageman up way more than he needs to be gassed up. He's been out of the league long enough now to where he could easily fall flat on his face and fail in his attempt to come back. He wasn't that great before he left. He showed flashes if anything . Flashes doesn't equate to the gas yall are filling his tank with.

I understand where you’re going with this & I like the idea . Only thing that’s the  wildcard for me is Hageman it’s 2019 & he’s not under contract . I know it could happen any day now but I’m not overly crazy about thinking about building units around a guy that isn’t on the roster or hasn’t played ball in 2 years . 

ya_boi_j likes this

6 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Hageman has nice athleticism & size.  But 12 TFL and 4 sacks in 3 years does not scream “I’m your worst nightmare”

He seemed to be developing more towards the end of the season. We haven't had a guy throw people like that around before or since.

With Quinn taking over D, you can bet his focus is gonna be the D-line, his specialty.

8 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Hageman has nice athleticism & size.  But 12 TFL and 4 sacks in 3 years does not scream “I’m your worst nightmare”

If he were to get lined up and scream, "I'm your worst nightmare!" would that count?

Falconsin2012 likes this

1 hour ago, 1989Fan said:

We need to slow down on Hags. One, he needs to be signed and two, he needs to even make the team. Not sure why people are so high on him....he was a rotational piece before missing 2 years of football.

We’re high on Hageman bc his flashes weren’t just average flashes. They were All-Pro flashes. Now he’s never gonna be that good cuz we’re talking 1/100 plays or whatever, but his flashes were amazing. He terrorized Rodgers. 

2 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

We’re high on Hageman bc his flashes weren’t just average flashes. They were All-Pro flashes. Now he’s never gonna be that good cuz we’re talking 1/100 plays or whatever, but his flashes were amazing. He terrorized Rodgers. 

I get that, but they were just that, flashes. And that was before missing two years. I would love to bring him back and have him become the man, but won’t hold my breath.

While I wouldn't mind brining in Hagemen on a cheap 1 year prove it deal where he would have to fight for a roster spot I don't think it is wise to count on him to produce and a be a huge part of the defense.

9 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Was thinking the same...dude didn't do anything why would a coach be concerned about him at all?

32 minutes ago, NeonDeion said:

:ninja:

10 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Well he was also asked to do alot of grunt work...like take space and occupy blockers.

Remember his rookie year was 2014 when we did not seem to know  what the **** we wanted to do on defense  3-4 or 4-3.

He has had moments when he shined and has been that unblockable type guy.... I remember the Carolina game in 2015 when we ended their undefeated season... the Panthers did something that pissed him off and it was like a light switch one off with him and he beat their interior offensive line like they stole something from him he and Vic took over that game.

when his intensity level is up he was a good player but when his intensity level was not too consistent he looked meh.

Maybe these two years away from the game will light that fire in him and he plays up to his physical abilities on a consistent basis

Falconsin2012 likes this

4 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

Yall are gassing Hageman up way more than he needs to be gassed up. He's been out of the league long enough now to where he could easily fall flat on his face and fail in his attempt to come back. He wasn't that great before he left. He showed flashes if anything . Flashes doesn't equate to the gas yall are filling his tank with.

That 91 octane. I don't remember him being that dominant. Blocked a kick or 2, but I don't recall much about him other than him and Brian Cox going at it.

ya_boi_j likes this

13 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Until he proves it, I don’t get the Hageman love. 

Dude only played when he wanted and had a bad habit of taking off too many plays. 

Plus all he did was visit. For all we know he's 50lbs overweight and hasn't been in a three point stance since SB LI.