Clayborn back to falcons

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Dude is not a beast!! People throw around the word beast way too often!! If Clayborn was such a beast why did the Patriots cut him after only 1 year when he still was under contract? How about all that Patriots way stuff?

• 2011 - 7.5 Sacks
  • 2012 - 0 Sacks
  • 2013 - 5.5 Sacks
  • 2014 - 0 Sacks
  • 2015 - 3 Sacks
  • 2016 - 4.5 Sacks
  • 2017 - 9.5 Sacks (Living off 6 sacks in 1 game against a backup OT or otherwise would have been 3.5 sacks.)
  • 2018 - 2.5 Sacks

Yep, that really screams beast!! Beasley throws up more sacks than that and people hate him! Double standard much? Oh, and don't give me this draft pick nonsense, Clayborn was a 1st round pick too!!

Beasley makes 12.8 million next year. He is paid like a star not an average rotational piece.He needs to be more productive for that much money.

2 minutes ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

I like Senat a lot though so not sure we need a DT unless it’s for depth. I still say a DE like Burns to take over for Vic or a RT for the future at 14.

Only reason I say DT is because there is more day one room for one. They rarely had 9 DL active on gamedays from what I remember, so they're running 4 DTs and 4 DEs usually. Maybe Means is that inactive guy again, but we'll see. I think a guy like Wilkins would open up the DL so much with his versatility. That's what makes DQ's DLs work. Not just the same guys coming over and over again, but different guys at different times from different spots. I love Burns, but if you're betting big on making Vic work, where are the snaps for Burns day one? That's always been my question. Not my problem if they take him though. 

4 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

DT was always a bigger need.

The problem is that DT was also a need last season and they took a rookie in the 3rd round to address it.... so they didn't.

IF Takk and Beasley take that 'magical next step' they were absolutely counting on them to take last season then sure....DE should be fine. But unless Quinn also becomes the d-line coach I don't see this happening.

So they still need help on the dline.  They had the same needs lasts season and they decided to take a WR....

Exactly. Ive tried to educate some here that our front office was busying playing checkers and not looking down range at the impending GJ contract, lack of depth and overall lack of talent on the DL. It is and has been an issue and we simply refuse to address it. No one wants to admit it for whatever reason.

This year, we have seen a clear attempt to fix the Oline. A "sense of urgency" to fix the trenches. I believe we will see DT addressed in 1st or 2nd round this year.

2 minutes ago, etherdome said:

The odds were already pretty low.  Most of the Edge rushers worth a first round pick will be off the board by #14.  I don't believe that Edge was in the cards for us in the first round. 

Agreed. I thought it was a Plan C type scenario. If Oliver, Wilkins, Ford, and Taylor are gone and you can't trade back, DE would most likely be the pick. A guy like Sweat or :ninja: Gary. I never really liked this edge group and it thins out very fast. I hope this means they punt on it. 

2 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Burns would be great, but long gone by our pick. 

Everyone can't be long gone by our pick.

This move is awesome because we know what we are getting, he is still producing, and it gives us even more flexibility to maximize grabbing talented players that fall to us regardless of position.

Awesome depth move...makes those extra 4th/5th rounders less needed and used for a trade up.

Expect a DT signing out of Davison, Shelton, Hageman and then we have ultimate draft flexibility to go get our guy in the 1st and then round out the depth on the roster...

When you have a chance to get a Pro Bowl caliber player, you go get him...

I fully expect an Ed Oliver trade up if he makes it to #6

Also, Falcons could very well trade back like the mock drafting scenario going on

1 minute ago, vel said:

So they should have taken Taven Bryan? Lol Senat was better than the only DT they passed on for Ridley. Oliver in the second was a steal so can't blame them for that one. 

Yes, this year is riding on DQ taking over the defense and getting Vic and Takk to step up. Whether you or I like it doesn't matter. A point that seems to constantly be fallen on deaf ears. They are placing a big bet on DQ's ability and it's either going to work or get him fired. 

Never said they didn't need help on the DL. It's almost like yall take a comment and make it what you want it to be. 

They went into last season dangerously thin on the Dline and counted way too much on Beasley, Takk, & Jarrett.  

Hindsight is 20/20 but Ridley definitely didn't put the Falcons over the top.  They took him and the OC still got fired.  Now Ridley may end up being a good player.  I'm just saying DT was a need.  They didn't address it and the results speak for themselves.

And yes,  Quinn's job is on the line.  That is clear.

I think the general consensus is WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST KEEP HIM LAST YEAR? 

5 minutes ago, vel said:

So they should have taken Taven Bryan? Lol Senat was better than the only DT they passed on for Ridley. Oliver in the second was a steal so can't blame them for that one. 

Youre basing that on 1 year. If every player was only based on 1 year, then let's get Vic in the HOF now for his 16 sack season, let that be his 1 year, right?.

You have to look long term. The front office put us in this position of DT lack of depth and GJ impending mega contract. 

2 minutes ago, vel said:

Only reason I say DT is because there is more day one room for one. They rarely had 9 DL active on gamedays from what I remember, so they're running 4 DTs and 4 DEs usually. Maybe Means is that inactive guy again, but we'll see. I think a guy like Wilkins would open up the DL so much with his versatility. That's what makes DQ's DLs work. Not just the same guys coming over and over again, but different guys at different times from different spots. I love Burns, but if you're betting big on making Vic work, where are the snaps for Burns day one? That's always been my question. Not my problem if they take him though. 

I got you was just curious. I was just thinking since we are picking so high and not likely this high again for a while DE. Plus was thinking Vic will be gone next year. Or a RT to compete with TY or start in a year. I’m kind of good with whatever though.

15 minutes ago, vel said:

Lol your very first post was:

Nobody said "Oh shlt! SUPER BOWL!!!!! 50 SACKS HERE WE COME!!!!" Everybody legit was just happy to have the guy back in the fold. The only person who made an assumption that DE was taken care of with this move by the time you posted that was me lol. And that assumption is based on the history of how they've made moves prior to the draft since DQ has been here. Your entire initial stance was negative and aimed at shooting anybody down who liked the move. 

Very swift like...

Still never said it was a bad thing and in my 2nd post to you I specifically said that I wasn't mad about this move and that it is good to have guys like Clayborn on the team. I'm just not overjoyed at thinking that the Falcons believe they're all set at DE and that we still don't need to draft one (yes maybe even at 14) as a potential long-term piece. Clayborn is not a long-term piece.

29 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Like I said, dude is just rotational depth. He's nothing special. People calling him a beast and junk. Pfft!! Get outta here!! I'm not mad about this move because it's good to have guys like Clayborn on the team but I ain't gonna sit here and act like he's some kinda stud playmaker when he's not. He'll get his normal 2.5 - 4 sacks in 2019 and be good against the run. But be's basically Brooks Reed. People hated Reed.

27 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

People didn't hate Reed, they just hated his cap hit. If anything Reed was one of the most underrated guys on the roster.

Reed put in work while he was here don't care what anyone says just didnt like the cap hit like everyone else but lets not act like he wasnt a solid player for what his role was

12 minutes ago, Bigbenright said:

Beasley makes 12.8 million next year. He is paid like a star not an average rotational piece.He needs to be more productive for that much money.

I completely agree!! I'm not happy with what Vic is being paid this year when he hasn't come close to earning it but it is what it is.

10 minutes ago, Sun Tzu 7 said:

They went into last season dangerously thin on the Dline and counted way too much on Beasley, Takk, & Jarrett.  

Hindsight is 20/20 but Ridley definitely didn't put the Falcons over the top.  They took him and the OC still got fired.  Now Ridley may end up being a good player.  I'm just saying DT was a need.  They didn't address it and the results speak for themselves.

And yes,  Quinn's job is on the line.  That is clear.

I think the general consensus is WHY DIDN'T THEY JUST KEEP HIM LAST YEAR? 

Falcons were terrible against the run in 2018!! They couldn't run the ball and couldn't stop the run!! It's why I was stunned that PFF tried to post that article about how the run game is overrated!! The fact that there are people in this world that could possibly believe that run game is overrated this blows my mind!! I've been watching football for 32 years and never once have I thought "well, run game is overrated!!"

39 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Dude is not a beast!! People throw around the word beast way too often!! If Clayborn was such a beast why did the Patriots cut him after only 1 year when he still was under contract? How about all that Patriots way stuff?

• 2011 - 7.5 Sacks
  • 2012 - 0 Sacks
  • 2013 - 5.5 Sacks
  • 2014 - 0 Sacks
  • 2015 - 3 Sacks
  • 2016 - 4.5 Sacks
  • 2017 - 9.5 Sacks (Living off 6 sacks in 1 game against a backup OT or otherwise would have been 3.5 sacks.)
  • 2018 - 2.5 Sacks

Yep, that really screams beast!! Beasley throws up more sacks than that and people hate him! Double standard much? Oh, and don't give me this draft pick nonsense, Clayborn was a 1st round pick too!!

Clayborn could have ZERO career sacks but he got the 6 sacks against the most hated team in the league, the cowgirls, and fans everywhere greatly appreciate that...Image result for clayborn sacks cowboys

Edited by slickgadawg