Billy Ocean

Game of Thrones | Season 8 | ***Official*** Discussion Thread

1,197 posts in this topic

On 4/9/2019 at 10:55 AM, Billy Ocean said:

The only thing that can possibly scare Arya at this point would be White Walkers or Wights.

Or other Faceless Men, maybe?

1 minute ago, Statick said:

The only thing that can possibly scare Arya at this point would be White Walkers or Wights.

Or other Faceless Men, maybe?

I'm pretty sure the only thing that scares Arya is a frilly dress

I'm thinking the Night King is going to show up at Wintefell and raise all the long dead Starks out of the catacombs they are laying in.

I bought this entire book set, only made it about halfway through the first book and I want to just watch the show lol. I’ve only ever seen the first episode like 5 or 6 years ago. 

Think I prefer viewing the tv actress Daenerys as the character than I do going through the rest of these books with an early teenage girl being a sex object and her teenage brother pimping her out. I’m guessing he gets killed lol.

But I’m way far behind. Anyone here read these books and watched the show? I’ve had some folks tell me to just watch the show unless I’m really into reading books. Which I mean I like reading but I can skip it until later on if the show is actually better.

Just now, Carter said:

I bought this entire book set, only made it about halfway through the first book and I want to just watch the show lol. I’ve only ever seen the first episode like 5 or 6 years ago. 

Think I prefer viewing the tv actress Daenerys as the character than I do going through the rest of these books with an early teenage girl being a sex object and her teenage brother pimping her out. I’m guessing he gets killed lol.

But I’m way far behind. Anyone here read these books and watched the show? I’ve had some folks tell me to just watch the show unless I’m really into reading books. Which I mean I like reading but I can skip it until later on if the show is actually better.

The books are incredible.  4 and 5 get bogged down, but it's still worth it to read them. 

Carter and AF89 like this

3 hours ago, Carter said:

I made it through Book 4.  Don't really mind missing out on Book 5 at this point.

Carter likes this

I've read the entire series two and a half times (roughly), I've enjoyed the **** out of it which feels so weird no knowing if I'll ever get to finish it even if he actually writes them.

As a general rule I typically don't like reading things after I've seen it captured on film or tv. Besides having most of the major plot points spoiled everything is colored by the visual medium.  Even on my rereads the GOT characters have largely supplanted their ASOIAF counterparts in my head.  (Funnily enough Stannis looked a heck of a lot like Davos in my mind when I first read the 2nd book).

Knowing that ill know how it all ends in a months time...I don't know how motivated I'll be to pick up the final books. The books are so so so so much more intricately detailed as you would expect but it's the larger plot points that you tend to remember after a few years and as its been like 4 years since my last reread I'm sorta dreading the prospect of having to go thru the series a 3rd time just so I can remember EXACTLY where we left off and differentiate it from the dang show. 

Like Jon hasn't even been resurrected yet in the books and that feels weird cause its like I can almost swear that I read it. Some things are a little fresher for how different they are from HBO like Tyrion hanging out with Penny and everyone in Meereen is shytting themselves to death but others I'm going to need a refresher.

Billy Ocean likes this

I'll also say on the otherside of things GOT lost some of its roller coaster feel for a little bit for me personally after season 1 cause I read the books before season 2, and it didn't quite have the same edge of my seat not knowing what was going to happen next feeling. I knew things like Stannis would lose the Battle of Blackwater Bay or Jon is made Commander of the Night's Watch etc before I saw them which isn't quite the same rush of highs and lows.

I still really enjoyed the show and knowing so much of the world lore and character detail opens up a different sort of pleasure in watching the saga unfold but I'll still say it is a much different experience when your watching and anticipating knowing where everything is going than it is when you can go in blind.

It's been neat these past few seasons to somewhat recapture that as we've gone beyond our book knowledge. 

Still..I'm glad I'll have Wheel of Time finished long before it hits Amazon that way even if it sucks I'll still have my memories of reading it not nearly as conflated and intertwined with the show as my memories of ASOIAF/GOT have become (or I can enjoy them both as their own separate things)

mdrake34 likes this

@Carter these books are literally the only fiction I’ve read since college, and I have zero regrets about having read them. But given the uncertainty regarding whether the final two books will ever be released, I’m conflicted about recommending that others begin the series.

AF89, Carter and mdrake34 like this

18 hours ago, Tiny Attorney said:

I made it through Book 4.

I'm one of the weirdos that, after slogging through it, really enjoyed book 4 in hindsight.  It does the best job of showing how the war of the 5 kings ravaged the people who were forced to fight for their rich lords.

AF89 and Billy Ocean like this

2 hours ago, Billy Ocean said:

these books are literally the only fiction I’ve read since college

Don’t get me wrong, I did read a lot of fiction. I was one of only 3 male students to complete AP English in my high school graduating class. Those summer reading lists were brutal. And I took English Lit and Comp Lit electives in college.

But the third book in the series, ‘A Storm of Swords,’ is hands down the most entertaining book I’ve ever read. No contest.

22 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

I'm one of the weirdos that, after slogging through it, really enjoyed book 4 in hindsight.  It does the best job of showing how the war of the 5 kings ravaged the people who were forced to fight for their rich lords.

The series is at its core an anti-war, pro-feminist work. It’s about the inherent folly and horror of war, and about the profound societal damage inflicted by the subjugation of women as second-class citizens.

11 minutes ago, Billy Ocean said:

But the third book in the series, ‘A Storm of Swords,’ is hands down the most entertaining book I’ve ever read. No contest.

Best piece of fiction I've ever read.  I still remember staying up past 1:00 am finishing it at our old house.

1 hour ago, mdrake34 said:

Best piece of fiction I've ever read.  I still remember staying up past 1:00 am finishing it at our old house.

Has George finished the books or is the last season totally the show's writers' ideas?

1 hour ago, mdrake34 said:

I really enjoyed all of them. Just lost steam and haven’t really had any motivation to pick back up.

29 minutes ago, SpongeDad said:

Has George finished the books or is the last season totally the show's writers' ideas?

He's been trying to write the 6th book for years with at least a 7th promised afterwards.  Neither will ever see the light of day.  He allegedly gave the show writers an outline of where he thought each character would wind up, but who knows how they'll diverge from that as the show is markedly different from the books after season 1.

SpongeDad likes this

If GRRM has to die and somebody else finally put his notes to actual publication those books are getting released eventually imo

But your anticipation is really cut out from underneath you when your putting a decade between releases and you have an award winning show pretty much capping the whole thing off for you anyway

mdrake34 likes this

Frankly I'm probably looking forward to information about the prequels than I am Winds of Winter:ninja:

6 hours ago, mdrake34 said:

Feast of Crows might have actually been the book I most enjoyed on the reread if nothing else because they're aren't quite as many seminal moments as the other books it was weirdly really fun to read just to resoak it up cause I didn't remember alot of it

mdrake34 likes this