Tim Mazetti

Peter King Talks Falcons

94 posts in this topic

https://www.atlantafalcons.com/news/peter-king-talks-falcons-who-needs-to-step-top-draft-priority-and-the-x-factor-i

 

Kelsey Conway AtlantaFalcons.com reporter

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. – If you were to ask longtime NFL writer Peter King which team he’d be most inclined to buy stock in at this point in the offseason, his answer might surprise you.

Let’s just say the Atlanta Falcons would definitely be in the conversation. 

“I’d be buying Falcons stock right now because I think they’ve got a chance to rebound and play very well this year in what again is going to be a very tough NFC South,” King said.

King detailed several reasons why he’s “bullish” on the Falcons in a 17-minute Q&A from the annual league meetings last week in Phoenix. Here are some of King’s takes:

Quinn taking over defense will give Falcons ‘more aggressive’ play, including the secondary

With Dan Quinn taking back the reigns of the Falcons’ defense, there’s a newfound excitement surrounding Atlanta’s defense. Based off Quinn’s time as a defensive coordinator in Seattle and when he took over the play-calling in the final quarter of the 2016 season, King laid out his expectations of what he thinks the Falcons’ defense will look like with Quinn calling the shots.

“I think by the more active role he has in a week-to-week basis with the defense, you’re probably going to get to see more of an aggressive defense,” King said. “I think he will find more opportunities for Grady Jarrett, I think he’s going to find more opportunities for edge players. I think you’re going to see more diverse secondary play. More guys rushing from the secondary.”

Takk McKinley is the player the Falcons need to step up most in 2019

All eyes will be on Takk McKinley this year and there’s no doubt about it. Since being drafted in the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft, the expectations for McKinley have certainly heightened. Not only has Quinn said he’s expecting a strong offseason from McKinley to prepare for the upcoming season, King explained why it’s vital for the defensive end to have a big year.

“He was drafted to be [the] really strong edge presence,” King said. If I’m them, I need 50-to-60 legitimate quarterback disruptions from McKinley this year. I think that is vital because I think they’re secondary [could] get exposed. This is a crucial year for this secondary and for the pass rush.”

Falcons draft priorities should be improving the secondary, landing another franchise tackle

The Falcons have the No. 14 overall pick in the NFL Draft and King believes they should use it on a player who can improve their secondary. Atlanta’s secondary will look a bit different this season with Isaiah Oliver and Damontae Kazee taking on starting roles full-time.

“If I were the Falcons, [my priority] would be the secondary,” King said. “I would want to improve my cornerback depth and I would also draft if I can what I consider to be a long-term offensive tackle.

King also believes the Falcons could also benefit from using that pick on one of the top tackles in this year’s draft class, similar to what they did with Jake Matthews in the 2014 NFL Draft when Atlanta selected him with the No. 6 overall pick.

Matthews signed a five-year extension with the Falcons prior to the 2018 season.

Alex Mack is the ultimate X-factor for Falcons

King knows exactly which center he would pick if he had the luxury of choosing one in a must-win game.

“I’d take Alex Mack every time,” King said. “I love Mack.”

Based on Ryan’s consistent production over the years, King’s not worried about what the Falcons will get from QB1 in 2019.

“I always look at Ryan as a guy in my opinion, I just think every year he’s going to be a top-5 quarterback,” King said. “He’s going to be productive enough.”

What will help Ryan have another quality year is the play of the guy directly in front of him snapping him the ball and blocking for him.

“Any quarterback is going to play better when he’s protected better,” King said. “They just have to do a better job of doing that this year whether that’s scheme or talent. I think it’s vitally important that Alex Mack be healthy and give them one more strong year. You can just see the symbiotic relationship between Mack and Ryan.”

Falcons can’t let Deion Jones out of Atlanta

The Falcons have reportedly begun contract negotiations with Deion Jones who has quickly become one of the best players in Atlanta’s defense. King believes Jones is a player who could be the heart of Atlanta’s defense for years to come.

“I love Deion Jones as a football player and I would want him to be the centerpiece of my defense,” King said. “They can’t let him go. “

The ultimate compliment to Grady Jarrett

After defeating the Falcons 34-28 in Super Bowl LI, King sat with Patriots’ star quarterback Tom Brady and to discuss the game in which Brady couldn’t have been more complementary of Grady Jarrett.

“Tom Brady had more respect for Grady Jarrett than anybody on the Falcons that day,” King said. “I think the world of Grady Jarrett.”

 

Emphasis added.

I like how he thinks, and has at least studied a little..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Trenches suck.

Says we need to draft secondary. 

They will get their CB in the second. Trench in the first, IMHO. I like his thinking regarding another Franchise OT. Bookends for the Franchise GB, who are rare, and must be protected.

I hope for an OT and Center for the OL in this draft.

PokerSteve and gazoo like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Yeah Tim good read and I’m confident Quinn is going to have this defense playing lights out.  I truly hope our first two picks addresses either the OL or DL!

Maybe both, as they have the draft pics to trade up into the second from three or in the second within the second to get a good CB prospect after addressing the lines.

I want a center in this draft, too DAMMIT.

blkbigdog35 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Maybe both, as they have the draft pics to trade up into the second from three or in the second within the second to get a good CB prospect after addressing the lines.

I want a center in this draft, too DAMMIT.

Yeah center is definitely a must!  I think CB can wait til 3rd or 4th round.  We need these trenches to be dominant!!

PokerSteve and Tim Mazetti like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, blkbigdog35 said:

Yeah center is definitely a must!  I think CB can wait til 3rd or 4th round.  We need these trenches to be dominant!!

So many options @14 and with nine picks. This will be good, my Doc.

blkbigdog35 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tim Mazetti said:

So many options @14 and with nine picks. This will be good, my Doc.

Yeah Tim definitely a lot of picks to address depth concerns for sure!  I have been so focused on OL and DL prospects that I haven’t looked into any other positions!  Should be a fun draft though!

Tim Mazetti likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, blkbigdog35 said:

Yeah Tim definitely a lot of picks to address depth concerns for sure!  I have been so focused on OL and DL prospects that I haven’t looked into any other positions!  Should be a fun draft though!

They won't come out of this draft with nine rookies, my friend. I will be happy with four or five good prospects that the surplus picks generated in trades, whether up and down after the first.

I am wary of trading down in the first at this stage.

blkbigdog35 and VTCrunkler like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tim Mazetti said:

They won't come out of this draft with nine rookies, my friend. I will be happy with four or five good prospects that the surplus picks generated in trades, whether up and down after the first.

I am wary of trading down in the first at this stage.

Agreed!

Tim Mazetti likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All off season I been on the biggest improvement for the Falcons is off the field.

If these coaches can tie this all together and coach and add new talent to its potential I think King is on the mark.

Interesting take on his 1st round pick though.While the whole world has us going IDL he has secondary and OT hmmm.

Flyin' In DC and Tim Mazetti like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kiwifalcon said:

All off season I been on the biggest improvement for the Falcons is off the field.

If these coaches can tie this all together and coach and add new talent to its potential I think King is on the mark.

Interesting take on his 1st round pick though.While the whole world has us going IDL he has secondary and OT hmmm.

I like his Franchise OT need and a CB may be had in two, after a DT or Edge.

I look for trades galore early (Not in the First.) to get the few difference makers they need. Among them will be a Center I hope.

kiwifalcon likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Tim Mazetti said:

I like his Franchise OT need and a CB may be had in two, after a DT or Edge.

I look for trades galore early (Not in the First.) to get the few difference makers they need. Among them will be a Center I hope.

You think TD will make trades?  If so I hope it’s to stockpile picks!

Tim Mazetti likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

You think TD will make trades?  If so I hope it’s to stockpile picks!

Don't need more picks. I will be ecstatic if they come out of this draft with five or six highly rated prospects. OL, DL, DL (Again.) CB, LB and a Center. LB is Meh, but nice.

I am looking at them trading early after the first round, then often to move up and down in the mid-rounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tim Mazetti said:

Agreed, however Tru isn't DQ's guy and may be looking for a replacement.

I think Trufant is fine man. He just needs some pressure to force QB’s to throw the ball faster. Trufant will lock his guy down if the pass rush is there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

I think Trufant is fine man. He just needs some pressure to force QB’s to throw the ball faster. Trufant will lock his guy down if the pass rush is there

You are on target. He is a great CB.

Give a mediocre QB five seconds everyone is toast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Tim Mazetti said:

The Falcons have reportedly begun contract negotiations with Deion Jones who has quickly become one of the best players in Atlanta’s defense.

And people thought we weren't going to keep Debo :lol:

JJ gonna get paid. Grady gonna get paid (though not Donald money)

Fix the trenches, pray we stay healthy and that Quinn and Kotter can work some football magic. Falcons 2019 baby! Lets go! 

Edited by BoomGoesTheDynamite
Tim Mazetti likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

All off season I been on the biggest improvement for the Falcons is off the field.

If these coaches can tie this all together and coach and add new talent to its potential I think King is on the mark.

Interesting take on his 1st round pick though.While the whole world has us going IDL he has secondary and OT hmmm.

Probably because the top tier DT prospects will likely be off the board.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

And people thought we weren't going to keep Debo :lol:

JJ gonna get paid. Grady gonna get paid (though not Donald money)

Fix the trenches, pray we stay healthy and that Quinn and Kotter can work some football magic. Falcons 2019 baby! Lets go! 

I suspect that we will keep Jarrett, Debo and Julio for the long haul.  I would not count on keeping Neal.  I think he will be our major cap casualty.  

 

Tim Mazetti likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, etherdome said:

Probably because the top tier DT prospects will likely be off the board.  

No. Depends which player can contribute per FO. Good ones abound.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now