Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcons Fan MVP

Do you think Dirk Koetter will use Devonta Freeman and Itto Smith in the passing game similar to the way Kyle Shanahan did with Freeman/TevCo?

38 posts in this topic

One of the main reasons our offense declined under Steve Sarkisian in my opinion is because he did not utilize our running backs nearly as well as Kyle Shanahan did. Kyle used Tevin Coleman as a receiver at times. Freeman got involved in the passing as well. When Dirk Koetter was our offensive coordinator in 2012-2014 our rushing attack was average at best. Probably below average 2013-2014. Do you guys think Dirk Koetter will use some of Kyle Shanahan's tricks in utilizing the running backs in the passing game? Maybe even Brian Hill could bring something to the table. Or that new guy we signed that's rumored to work on the returns. Do you think Dirk Koetter and Mike Malarkey will but their brains together and get the most out of our running backs? 

Hurry_Up_And_Buy likes this

1 minute ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Doubtful.  It will be better than under Sark, but not Shanny level.  TE’s and FB should see more catches, though

It's amazing how in 2015 most people wanted Kyle gone than in 2016 he became the greatest Falcons offensive coordinator of all time. He was always known as an average offensive coordinator until 2016. 

1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

It's amazing how in 2015 most people wanted Kyle gone than in 2016 he became the greatest Falcons offensive coordinator of all time. He was always known as an average offensive coordinator until 2016. 

Those in the know always held Kyle in very high regard.  He was an elite WR coach..and once Texans owners forced Kubiak to give up playcalling in favor of Shanny, they were top 8.  His time in Washington was impressive all things considered.  Same with Cleveland.  Everywhere he went, offense’s improved.

SF will be sooo good on offense next year

40 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Except that Quinn hired him as OC because he said he was the “hardest coach to gameplan for.” Doesn’t sound too average to me.

Shanny also led Matt Schaub to a league passing title in HOU. He has always be very highly regarded as a OC, and did it with average or worse QBs until he had Ryan. 

41 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Those in the know always held Kyle in very high regard.  He was an elite WR coach..and once Texans owners forced Kubiak to give up play. Along in favor of Shanny, they were top 8.  His time in Washington was impressive all things considered.  Same with Cleveland.  Everywhere he went, offense’s improved.

SF will be sooo good on offense next year

What do people in the know say about Dirk Koetter?

FalconsIn2020 likes this

6 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Except that Quinn hired him as OC because he said he was the “hardest coach to gameplan for.” Doesn’t sound too average to me.

Shanny also led Matt Schaub to a league passing title in HOU. He has always be very highly regarded as a OC, and did it with average or worse QBs until he had Ryan. 

I wonder if he thinks Sark or Koetter is hard to game plan against?

18 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Koetter, yes. Sark he could never have known.  It was a shot in the dark hire.  He never matched minds on the field with him.  It’s why the hire was puzzling

Falcons Fan MVP and NeonDeion like this

12 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Koetter, yes. Sark he could never have known.  It was a shot in the dark hire.  He never matched minds on the field with him.  It’s why the hire was puzzling

I think he hired Sark because he felt like he wouldn't get picked up as a head coach as quickly as Kyle did. Possibly because of alcohol issues and lack of NFL experience. Dirk and Kubiak both would be safe hires for that reason also most likely.

FalconsIn2020 likes this

Just now, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I think he hired Sark because he felt like he wouldn't get picked up as a head coach as quickly as Kyle did. Possibly because of alcohol issues and lack of NFL experience. Dirk and Kubiak both would be safe hires for that reason also most likely.

We were in a SB window.  Didn’t need someone learning on the fly

1 hour ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

One of the main reasons our offense declined under Steve Sarkisian in my opinion is because he did not utilize our running backs nearly as well as Kyle Shanahan did. Kyle used Tevin Coleman as a receiver at times. Freeman got involved in the passing as well. When Dirk Koetter was our offensive coordinator in 2012-2014 our rushing attack was average at best. Probably below average 2013-2014. Do you guys think Dirk Koetter will use some of Kyle Shanahan's tricks in utilizing the running backs in the passing game? Maybe even Brian Hill could bring something to the table. Or that new guy we signed that's rumored to work on the returns. Do you think Dirk Koetter and Mike Malarkey will but their brains together and get the most out of our running backs? 

No, because Freeman probably won't make it through the first game and if Ito has to take up the slack.. His little body will be destroyed in 2 games.. 

This is why we need a power back

m2Falcons likes this

34 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

So... This means you think Ito = Tevin?

No. I think losing Tevin Coleman could come back to bite us. Although Kyle seems like the only person that knew how to use him.

35 minutes ago, ⚡Slumerican⚡ said:

No, because Freeman probably won't make it through the first game and if Ito has to take up the slack.. His little body will be destroyed in 2 games.. 

This is why we need a power back

40 minutes ago, MAD597 said:

No cause freeman will be injured and on the Bench by game 3

I think Devonta Freeman will make it another year or two. His body has had time to heal as he's taken 2018 off. Hopefully he's had time to think about what he can do to reduce his chances of getting injured. We need Itto to step up and take some of the load off of him. Imo

2 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

No. I think losing Tevin Coleman could come back to bite us. Although Kyle seems like the only person that knew how to use him.

None of that explains why they would think of using him like Teco, matter of fact all of that would say the contrary. 

Not to mention it’s a different coordinator that hasn’t worked with any of these guys so it wouldn’t be using them the same to begin with.

4 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

Read the last line & assumed you were high . I need a source . 

TheUsualStuff likes this

6 hours ago, GeorgiaBoyz said:

Read the last line & assumed you were high . I need a source . 

That's what people on these message boards was saying in the summer of 2016. They thought Dan Quinn was going to lose his job trusting Kyle Shanahan with the offense.

7 hours ago, Jesus said:

In 2016:

Freeman 54-462-2

Coleman 31-421-3

In 2012:

Turner 19-129-1

Quizz 53-402-1

Snelling 31-203-1

Backs do catch balls.

Not the number. Those were checkdowns which were common in Koetters offense. Effective use of the RBs in passing game. Stats don’t show there is a world of difference.

16 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

He never had to gameplan against Sark.

Regarding Koetter:

“I’ve coached against him for a long time but haven’t had a chance to coach with him. Going against him has been challenging. Through the years, that kind of balance, he knows how to attack.”

Falcons Fan MVP likes this