Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigjmw84

Dream scenario for the hawks

19 posts in this topic

Mrs Gertz brings her rabbit foot and we draw the golden ticket to the Zion Lottery.  We pick up #6 from Dallas.

While Schlenk has been all for the process, he knows when it's time to get aggressive.

On draft night Schlenk gets on the phone with New Orleans and offers John Collins/Kent Bazemore(expiring)/Taurean Prince/#6/two 2nd round picks/2019 1st For Anthony Davis

They get one of the most promising bigs in the league , 2 wings, one which they showed interest in earlier in the season, and a C prospect with #6. The could potentially flip those 2nds to get back into the 1st.Next yrs 1st wont be a lottery pick in my oppinion, but they would have another solid pick to help rebuild with.

Fast Forward to July 1st(Free Agency)

Every Free Agent woul be seeking us out. No crazy sales pitch needed.

We wine and dine KD and Kawhai  day 1

Leonard thinks long and hard about Toronto,  and Atlanta but heads home to LA to unite with the Clippers.

KD sees how the team is currently set up along with a media market that's not so overpowering compared to New York. His music production aspirations also make Atlanta too hard to pass up. 

WELCOME TO ATLANTA MR. DURANT!!!

With the Hawks landscape completely reshaped,  we find players willing to come at a discount to fill out depth. With our available exceptions, we pick up Demare Carrol & TJ McConnell

PG:Young/McConnell

SG:Heurter/Bembry

SF:KD/DMC

PF:Zion/Spellman

C:AD/Len/Goga Bitadze(#35)

We instantly become Eastern Conference favorites. The best frontcourt in basketball with Trae stirring the drink

I'm not trading all that for 1 year rental of AD in the hopes that KD joins. 

That's too high a price if KD doesn't join and AD leaves for LAL.

The risk is too high.

maorifalcon and Drew4719 like this

That trade would definitely hinge on whether he would agree to sign an extension prior to deal.

Lol no way. Collins isn't going anywhere. If AD wants to come to ATL, let him sign in free agency. 

Taking on a bunch of short max contracts while losing valuable draft picks is silly and Schlenk would never do it.

Finally, Zion alone makes us a ECF favorite.

Drew4719 and blkbigdog35 like this

Schlenk is building this team from the ground up!  We have two young stars in JC and Trae!  We have the opportunity to add two more young stars so I seriously doubt we mortgage the farm for expensive short term contracts!

No.11, mqg96, Drew4719 and 2 others like this

Posted (edited)

58 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Schlenk is building this team from the ground up!  We have two young stars in JC and Trae!  We have the opportunity to add two more young stars so I seriously doubt we mortgage the farm for expensive short term contracts!

Agreed....

However....if they could trade for Davis and he agreed to an extension....I would do it...

Anthony Davis and John Collins would be the ****...

With Tre running the show and add maybe Barrett or Reddish

I would be down with that

Edited by RING OF HONOR
blkbigdog35 and Drew4719 like this

No, the dream scenario is that we somehow get the 1st pick and take Zion, and then with the 6th-8th pick we take Bol Bol.

A lineup of Young, Huerter, Williamson, Collins, and Bol for the next 5 or so years would be incredible.

We'd be a rebounding force the likes maybe never seen before, plus defense, probably lead the league in assists, inside and outside scoring, 3's from anywhere on the floor, and youth that can run the floor for days.

Anybody else been watching Bol Bol?  This kid is legit AF.  Dude is 13/25 from 3pt and 56% scoring, in addition to 12 rb's and 3 blk's per 36mp.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/bol-bol

Can you imagine Trae dishing to Collins AND Bol AND Zion?

Then Bembry, Prince, Spellman, Len, and Dedmon off the bench?

THAT is how you BUILD a team.

jayu70, TheTrue7, No.11 and 2 others like this

45 minutes ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Agreed....

However....if they could trade for Davis and he agreed to an extension....I would do it...

AD would be nice but it truly depends on his asking price.  However I can be happy with rolling with the youngins 

Drew4719 and RING OF HONOR like this

1 hour ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Agreed....

Not at the expense of John Collins. To give up JC and a top 10 lottery pick for a short term rental of AD and KD is a bad deal. Sure, it'll instantly vault us to championship contenders, but for how long? 

We want to build a team like the Spurs and the Warriors did which will be contending for 5-10 years. Draft your foundation and add solid, inexpensive role players in free agency. If a free agent super star becomes available, kick the tires, but don't blow it up. That's what the Warriors and Spurs did. You don't gut your team and mortgage your future for short term gains.

A foundation of:

PG: T. Young

SG: K. Huerter

SF: Z. Williamson, D. Hunter, or R. Barrett

PF: J. Collins

C: Bol Bol/Len/Dedmon

Will be competing for championships for a decade or more and we'd have the bird rights to all of them because they were all drafted by us.

maorifalcon likes this

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, JerseyNo11 said:

Not at the expense of John Collins. To give up JC and a top 10 lottery pick for a short term rental of AD and KD is a bad deal. Sure, it'll instantly vault us to championship contenders, but for how long? 

We want to build a team like the Spurs and the Warriors did which will be contending for 5-10 years. Draft your foundation and add solid, inexpensive role players in free agency. If a free agent super star becomes available, kick the tires, but don't blow it up. That's what the Warriors and Spurs did. You don't gut your team and mortgage your future for short term gains.

A foundation of:

PG: T. Young

SG: K. Huerter

SF: Z. Williamson, D. Hunter, or R. Barrett

PF: J. Collins

C: Bol Bol/Len/Dedmon

Will be competing for championships for a decade or more and we'd have the bird rights to all of them because they were all drafted by us.

I never said give up JC...in my post I have JC and Davis

Young

Huerter

Barrett

Collins

Davis

Edited by RING OF HONOR

3 hours ago, RING OF HONOR said:

I never said give up JC...in my post I have JC and Davis

Young

Huerter

Barrett

Collins

Davis

I know but the OP did.

Baze is an expiring player and it looked like they were looking to trade Prince away. If the Cavs get Barret, we might be able to see Clevelands 1st next year. For a player like AD you have to go for it. The only way he signs an extension is if we make a play for another superstar(insert Durant). TS has done a great job of evaluating talent and Pierce has done a nice job of developing the players. With that being said... AD and Durant are proven commodities. I love Collins, but he is a liability from defensive standpoint, especially when Zion pushes him from the 4 to the 5. We have a great offense, but our D will continue to stuggle until we A. Draft and develop lockdown defenders or B. Get it immediately with AD/KD and have contender window wide open for 6+ years. It wouldn't hurt us going one season without a 1st round pick. Tre would be the only defensive liability in the starting lineup, and everybody except huerter are 20pt + players.

Hawks Notes: Free Agency, Carter, Pierce

March 15th, 2019 at 3:16pm CST • By Luke Adams

A report from Sam Amick of The Athletic last month indicated that the Hawks intend to be aggressive in free agency this summer, pursuing meetings with “everyone from Kevin Durant on down.” However, head coach Lloyd Pierce and general manager Travis Schlenk tell Robby Kalland of Dime Magazine that the team has no plans to force the issue or spend its cap room irresponsibly.

“I think what’s really important is a lot of times mistakes are made when teams go, ‘We have this cap space, we need to use it,'” Schlenk said. “You can’t spend it on the wrong guy. Right? I say all the time, if you make a mistake in a draft, it doesn’t kill your franchise. Obviously you don’t want to make mistakes, but you’re talking about a two-year guaranteed contract with a small dollar amount. You make mistakes and free agents, and now you’re talking, to today’s world, a four-year contract at $25-30MM. Those can be [killers].”

Schlenk suggested that the Hawks will most likely target players who slip through the cracks and are available on shorter-term or team-friendly deals. A one- or two-year big-money contract – like what the Sixers did with J.J. Redick – could make sense for Atlanta, Kalland notes. Pierce believes the Hawks have taken the steps necessary to receive serious consideration from that sort of veteran free agent.

“We feel like we’re in a position now where we feel like people are going to look at the Atlanta Hawks and say, ‘They’re onto something,'”Pierce said. “Young guys that are really good. Young culture that they’ve established that everyone loves, and that’s what we’re talking about. The arena, ownership, GM, coach are all aligned. They came in at the same time, they’re on the same page, year after year after year. They turned it around, they added these three young guys to it, they’re headed in the right direction. But we can’t skip that step either. I don’t know what the next step is, if there’s a perfect free agent or the perfect locker room guy that can come in and help us, that’s great. But if there isn’t, we can’t force it.”

Here’s more on the Hawks from Kalland’s deep dive:

• Hawks minority owner Grant Hill and young big man John Collins both spoke to Kalland about being encouraged by the progression of the team’s rebuilding process. “How we approach the game is different from other teams I feel like who are sort of in similar (rebuilding) situations,”Collins said. “And I feel like our situation is we’re light years ahead of where we’re supposed to be and where people think we are regardless of our record. I feel like when you watch us play and you see how we play offensively, defensively, the way we move a ball, the way we run the floor. It paints a pretty bright future. I can’t wait to be a part of it.”
  • Although he’s not a long-term building block like Collins or Trae YoungVince Carter has been an important part of this season’s Hawks team, according to Pierce, who tells Kalland that the 42-year-old swingman has created “a different atmosphere” in Atlanta’s locker room.
  • For his part, Carter says he has tried to impart the lessons he has learned over the course of his career on the Hawks’ young players. “For Trae, he’s one of the faces of this franchise along with John Collins, so there’s more responsibility,” Carter told Kalland. “… There’s a lot of things that come with wanting to be ‘The Man’ of a franchise. I’ve been there for a lot of years, so I’ve seen a lot. So I’m just trying to share my wisdom, both in conversation and on the court, because I feel like in the world today you have to do a little more than just have a conversation. I like to lead by example and by showing the young guys the way.”
  • Speaking about the decision to hire Pierce as Atlanta’s new head coach last year, Schlenk tells Kalland that the former Sixers assistant has “exceeded our expectations.”
ATLBrave, jayu70, TheTrue7 and 1 other like this

Have absolutely 0 interest in Bol right now. He has to check out medically for me and even then, there's huge questions about his defense...no for real. He might be a good shot blocker, but there are questions otherwise.

No hater here either, I wanted him earlier but now I do not.

1 hour ago, bigjmw84 said:

Baze is an expiring player and it looked like they were looking to trade Prince away. If the Cavs get Barret, we might be able to see Clevelands 1st next year. For a player like AD you have to go for it. The only way he signs an extension is if we make a play for another superstar(insert Durant). TS has done a great job of evaluating talent and Pierce has done a nice job of developing the players. With that being said... AD and Durant are proven commodities. I love Collins, but he is a liability from defensive standpoint, especially when Zion pushes him from the 4 to the 5. We have a great offense, but our D will continue to stuggle until we A. Draft and develop lockdown defenders or B. Get it immediately with AD/KD and have contender window wide open for 6+ years. It wouldn't hurt us going one season without a 1st round pick. Tre would be the only defensive liability in the starting lineup, and everybody except huerter are 20pt + players.

Zion would play the 3 in between Huerter and Collins in our system.  Actually, he'll play the 3 pretty much whereever he ends up.  Not sure why some folks keep insisting he's a 4.  He'll be a matchup nightmare at the 3 because of his size and quickness, and without being a defensive liability at all for the same reasons.

Drew4719, TheTrue7, No.11 and 2 others like this

17 hours ago, bigjmw84 said:

That trade would definitely hinge on whether he would agree to sign an extension prior to deal.

7 hours ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Agreed....

AD will not sign an extension for the simple fact he'll lose money on an extension vs signing a brand new deal at the new cap mumber in 2020.

Here's a breakdown:

"Despite Wojnarowski’s reporting, it’s highly unlikely Davis signs an extension anywhere, including his desired Los Angeles. Wojnarowski often conflates an extension with a new contract, but the mechanisms are significantly different.

Davis is set to become a free agent in 2020. Any extension would kick in for the 2020-21 season.

Within six months of getting traded, the largest extension Davis could sign is just one year, $28,447,669.

If he gets dealt then waits for that six-month period to expire, he could sign an extension worth up to $145,652,065 over four years. But because he’d have to wait, the team trading for him wouldn’t immediately get the security of locking him up longer-term. And Davis would already be out of New Orleans, so an extension would no longer be a tool to facilitate his exit. Which mostly defeats the point of an extension.

At the point six months after a trade, Davis could play out the final season of his contract and get far more money. Davis’ max in 2020 free agency projects to be about $205 million over five years. Even if he leaves his prior team in 2020 free agency, his max elsewhere projects to be about $152 million over four years – still more than he could get in an extension sooner."

6 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

AD would be nice but it truly depends on his asking price.  However I can be happy with rolling with the youngins 

AD will command a max contract and I have to issue with thst.

blkbigdog35 likes this

23 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

AD will not sign an extension for the simple fact he'll lose money on an extension vs signing a brand new deal at the new cap mumber in 2020.

Here's a breakdown:

"Despite Wojnarowski’s reporting, it’s highly unlikely Davis signs an extension anywhere, including his desired Los Angeles. Wojnarowski often conflates an extension with a new contract, but the mechanisms are significantly different.

Davis is set to become a free agent in 2020. Any extension would kick in for the 2020-21 season.

Within six months of getting traded, the largest extension Davis could sign is just one year, $28,447,669.

If he gets dealt then waits for that six-month period to expire, he could sign an extension worth up to $145,652,065 over four years. But because he’d have to wait, the team trading for him wouldn’t immediately get the security of locking him up longer-term. And Davis would already be out of New Orleans, so an extension would no longer be a tool to facilitate his exit. Which mostly defeats the point of an extension.

At the point six months after a trade, Davis could play out the final season of his contract and get far more money. Davis’ max in 2020 free agency projects to be about $205 million over five years. Even if he leaves his prior team in 2020 free agency, his max elsewhere projects to be about $152 million over four years – still more than he could get in an extension sooner."

AD will command a max contract and I have to issue with thst.

I agree but personally I’m happy with drafting our own superstars!!:slick:

jayu70 and TheTrue7 like this

13 hours ago, RING OF HONOR said:

Agreed....

Ummmm. He said trade John Collins.  I stopped reading at that point and don't know or care to know what he said next...:lol:

10 hours ago, slickgadawg said:

Ummmm. He said trade John Collins.  I stopped reading at that point and don't know or care to know what he said next...:lol:

That should be a sin ...lol

Spts1 likes this