JDFIII

Ronnie Baseball Extension

78 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Exactly!! I don't know how there has been so much backlash about the Donaldson deal.

We signed a former MVP to a reasonable 1 year deal. I don't know what's not to like about it.

He's had a few years of health issues, but when he's been healthy he's produced. It might take him a little time to adjust to the NL as he's spent his entire career in the AL, but give him a month or 2 to adjust and I think he'll be just fine.

1 minute ago, rcky_mtn_falcon said:

We signed a former MVP to a reasonable 1 year deal. I don't know what's not to like about it.

He's had a few years of health issues, but when he's been healthy he's produced. It might take him a little time to adjust to the NL as he's spent his entire career in the AL, but give him a month or 2 to adjust and I think he'll be just fine.

Yeah and if he has a monster year then he walks in free agency and the Braves get a draft pick! There's absolutely no down side!!

TheTrue7 likes this

On 4/2/2019 at 3:33 PM, jlrfalcon said:

Does Acuna even need to worry about how well he plays for the next 5-7 years or so?  He might not get awards or lead the league in stats but he basically could just putter along with 20-25 hrs a year.  What monetary incentive does he have to play well anytime soon?

He maybe could try to improve himself in the final couple of years of his new contract and get 30+ homers or so in those years.  The Braves might trade him before then or not even consider resigning him after 10 years, but a new contract would look at his last couple of years not his first 5-7 years.

If he is such a sure thing, why did the Braves keep him in the minors the early part of last year which delayed arbitration for him but then turn around and give him an extension now while he is on a low contract?

Freddie Freeman said that when he signed his contract it only made him even more motivated to live up to that contract and Acuna and Albies are of the same mindset.