VTCrunkler

Wilkins vs. Lawrence

229 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, FalconAge said:

Doesn't Dexter Lawrence play in the middle...

And why draft a 4-3 undertackle during a superbowl window year when you have a great one signed already???

Ridley was a compliment to Julio rather than a clone, which is what Wilkins would be if we played him with Jarrett.

This is very rigid thinking that is not necessarily the way DQ goes about his business.  More times than not, the traditional 4-3 NT isn’t on the field.

“What does he do best and how can we feature him?”

Wilkins can beat you more ways than Lawrence.  Wilkins also is quicker, smarter, healthier and cleaner off the field.

19 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

This is very rigid thinking that is not necessarily the way DQ goes about his business.  More times than not, the traditional 4-3 NT isn’t on the field.

Wilkins can beat you more ways than Lawrence.  Wilkins also is quicker, smarter, healthier and cleaner off the field.

None of that takes away from the fact that we already have Wilkins. A better version in fact. His name is Grady Jarrett.

We do not have a 6ft. 4 340 mountain of a man who runs a 5.05 and puts up 225 36 times.

As far as I know, runningbacks still get the ball too, and two Grady Jarrett don't scare anybody against the run.

Utimately Lawrence will offer more at affecting the passer through collapsing the pocket than Wilkins will at affecting the run (often blocked out of plays).

26 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

In your opinion Dawg who has higher ceiling as a player Wilkins or Lawrence?

1 hour ago, kiwifalcon said:

In your opinion Dawg who has higher ceiling as a player Wilkins or Lawrence?

Wilkins 

1 hour ago, FalconAge said:

None of that takes away from the fact that we already have Wilkins. A better version in fact. His name is Grady Jarrett.

We do not have a 6ft. 4 340 mountain of a man who runs a 5.05 and puts up 225 36 times.

As far as I know, runningbacks still get the ball too, and two Grady Jarrett don't scare anybody against the run.

Utimately Lawrence will offer more at affecting the passer through collapsing the pocket than Wilkins will at affecting the run (often blocked out of plays).

Lawrence won’t be on the field most of the time in the nickel.  There are better up field options available.

You are incorrect, sir.

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Link?

19 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Lawrence won’t be on the field most of the time in the nickel.  There are better up field options available.

You are incorrect, sir.

He'd be for us what Red Bryant was to Seattle. He will see the field in the nickel.

2 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

He'd be for us what Red Bryant was to Seattle. He will see the field in the nickel.

Bryant didn't really see the field in nickel. He was predominantly a base player in Seattle.

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

You are incorrect, sir.

Dang Dawg....  you just don't get it.

2 hours ago, m2Falcons said:

Dang Dawg....  you just don't get it.

I get it- I have seen him play games, watched cut/ups, YouTube highlights, read every report, etc.

I know on occasion he can collapse the pocket.

What you must not know is DTs rotate and DCs figure out what your best traits are and those are what is featured.  Lawrence’s best traits are not rushing the passer and he won’t be on the field in most of those situations - so I am not going to sit here and pretend like he will be.

I know Lawrence is better and more of an athlete than your traditional run stuffer but that is still his best trait by far and he isn’t better than your run of the mill nickel inside passrushers.

Using Lawrence in a rotation to his highest and best use would mean him resting and sitting on sidelines in most nickel situations.

8 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Wilkins 

What I like about Wilkins is versatility.  He could fit at the 3 tech or as a base end in a 3 down linemen scheme (what with nickels being prevalent, not going to mention the LB/DB split). 

Wilkins has great burst and fluid athleticism to blow by linemen and knife into the backfield. He's also strong enough to hold the point of attack against the run. Lawrence is actually faster...a better athlete, but not as sudden.  Had caveman strength. He won't speed into the backfield, but his power will change where the backfield actually is, with the way he outmuscles interior linemen. He is less dynamic than Wilkins, in my opinion, and is a fringe first-rounder with his injury history & PED issue. Wilkins should be top-15.

Lawrence fills a more immediate need, has more upside.  My gut says Wilkins is a better player.  I would be thrilled with either

g-dawg likes this

I like Wilkins but it'll be fun to watch this board explode when the defense is getting gashed for runs and pushed back on 3rd and 1 if we draft him. He's a Grady clone. We need a compliment to Grady and everyone else.

VTCrunkler likes this

7 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

That doesn't mean he's smarter? And show me where he's faster.

:lol:

3 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

I like Wilkins but it'll be fun to watch this board explode when the defense is getting gashed for runs and pushed back on 3rd and 1 if we draft him. He's a Grady clone. We need a compliment to Grady and everyone else.

If Jeffrey Simmons were healthy, Lawrence would be the 5th best DT.  There’s a reason he isn’t being mentioned as a Top 20 pick.

Your Defense of “watch us get gashed on running plays” just furthers the point - Lawrence is a run stopper and will be featured as such.  Just because Lawrence is a better passrusher than most nose tackles doesn’t mean he’s gonna be on the field on most passing downs - he won’t.

We can get a run stopper cheaply without burning our best chip of 2019. 

Ergo Proxy likes this

12 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

First, it doesn’t matter what the board does.

Second, what’s more upsetting to a Defensive coach 

1) Not being able to get off field on 3rd and 1?

or

2) Not being able to get off field on 3rd and 10?

Ergo Proxy likes this

21 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

That doesn't mean he's smarter? And show me where he's faster.

Wilkins is quicker, more sudden...but Lawrence is actually faster

Ovie_Lover likes this

16 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

First, it doesn’t matter what the board does.

Second, what’s more upsetting to a Defensive coach 

1) Not being able to get off field on 3rd and 1?

or

2) Not being able to get off field on 3rd and 10?

He'd help with the passrush. You just refuse to believe it.

1 minute ago, Yo_Lover said:

He'd help with the passrush. You just refuse to believe it.

You refuse to believe that a rotational passrusher like Jack Crawford is a better passrusher than Dexter Lawrence.  There are lots of guys in league like Jack Crawford.

29 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

:lol:

You know what you're right, we all know the only way to test someone's intelligence is to see how far they went in school. How silly of me to ever think otherwise :rolleyes:

Just now, g-dawg said:

You refuse to believe that a rotational passrusher like Jack Crawford is a better passrusher than Dexter Lawrence.  There are lots of guys in league like Jack Crawford.

If that's what you want to believe. 

Just now, Yo_Lover said:

You know what you're right, we all know the only way to test someone's intelligence is to see how far they went in school. How silly of me to ever think otherwise :rolleyes:

It’s just funny that you walked right into that one.  I have no doubt that Lawrence would concede that Wilkins is smarter than him - even though you won’t acknowledge it.

He won the Academic Heisman - you  cannot make this stuff up :)

1 minute ago, Yo_Lover said:

If that's what you want to believe. 

Passrush

Wilkins > Crawford > Lawrence