VTCrunkler

Wilkins vs. Lawrence

229 posts in this topic

On 4/4/2019 at 6:20 PM, Yo_Lover said:

And the Seahawks slaughtered offenses using Red Bryant everywhere to wear down every offensive lineman. He'd still be doing it had he not gotten old.

I wanted us to make a run at Pierce (NT of Ravens) to act as our dominant DT next to Grady...to play the Red Bryant role.  But I was told he wouldn’t fit in our scheme.  

Still would have loved Pierce.  Dude is an animal

@Knight of God Could Pierce work in our scheme?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I wanted us to make a run at Pierce (NT of Ravens) to act as our dominant DT next to Grady...to play the Red Bryant role.  But I was told he wouldn’t fit in our scheme.  Still would have loved Pierce.  Dude is an animal

I saw sideline shots of him last year on TV.  He stood out from the rest. Talk about a thick burger 

FalconsIn2020 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

I wanted us to make a run at Pierce (NT of Ravens) to act as our dominant DT next to Grady...to play the Red Bryant role.  But I was told he wouldn’t fit in our scheme.  

Still would have loved Pierce.  Dude is an animal

@Knight of God Could Pierce work in our scheme?

Yes. The scheme has vague differences. They are primarily 3-4 Over and Cover 4, but switch to 4-3 Under Cover 3

FalconsIn2020 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Yes. The scheme has vague differences. They are primarily 3-4 Over and Cover 4, but switch to 4-3 Under Cover 3

DL isn’t a specialty of mine.   What exactly does that mean for him as a NT in our schem?

Knight of God likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

DL isn’t a specialty of mine.   What exactly does that mean for him as a NT in our schem?

He would have to penetrate and cause disruption for an NT to be worth it.

FalconsIn2020 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 4/2/2019 at 7:29 AM, m2Falcons said:

Until the Falcons defense can effectively and consistently slow down the run game they are going to get battered and beaten. When they face actually good offenses that can run and pass it is a nightmare because those offenses can dictate the entire game to us. When they face teams with big OLs and good RBs they just get steamrolled. Those offenses then get to pick and choose when they run and when they pass to further crush the Falcons defense. Meanwhile our theoretical high scoring offense is sitting on the sideline with their theoretical three touchdown lead that allows our defense to be a 'stop the pass' (small and fast/pass rush) defense...  which still can't generate a decent pass rush, stop the run, stop the short passing game, or get off the field with any measure of meaningful success.

This. Lawrence and Senat rotating in and out keeps a fresh legged run stuffing force on the line. That keeps OL away from second level/Debo. I think Lawrence is a force multiplier in that way which is what you want in rnd one.

Edited by ATLSlobberKnockers
VTCrunkler and m2Falcons like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Knight of God said:

He would have to penetrate and cause disruption for an NT to be worth it.

I think thats exactly.what he is. Senat seems more.like how the consensus.thought on Lawrence really is. If that makes sense. Id love to see Senat and Lawrence rotating in with always fresh legs. Allows Debo to roam sidelines without linemen moving to 2nd level.

Vandy, Knight of God and m2Falcons like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ATLSlobberKnockers said:

I think thats exactly.what he is. Senat seems more.like how the consensus.thought on Lawrence really is. If that makes sense. Id love to see Senat and Lawrence rotating in with always fresh legs. Allows Debo to roam sidelines without linemen moving to 2nd level.

Lawrence would allow a lot more than that. He allows Grady, Crawford, and Senat to get to the QB. He destroys pockets. More stunts and LB blitzes are possible. More INTs, more turnovers. Brees doesn’t step up in the pocket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2019 at 6:44 AM, Monolith2001 said:

He is quick for a man that size but he kind of does his damage within 10-yards of where he lined up whereas Wilkins in all over the place and the one you see running sideline to sideline.  I love both guys and had favored DL over CW until a few weeks ago when I started watching for the little things and not just splash plays and Wilkins is so active.  CW is way more athletic in pads than his underwear numbers.  Crazy motor.   Gonna drop this Clemson v. Syracuse footage as they probably did the best job against Clemson DL of anyone.  I think this game is very much what you can expect of these two...DL holding up a little better at the LoS and Wilkins being able to pressure QB better and able drop into coverage in a pinch. Wish we could have them both as I think both will have NFL success.

 

I respect the opinions of others on these boards.  I know that Lawrence has a very strong following, but to be honest, I don't see a special NT that deserves to be drafted at #14.  If he is available in the second round, I would consider him, but I would not draft him at #14.  

I think we can find a developmental NT from a small school that can come close to what Lawrence does.  And if not, we can sign a vet NT that can certainly provide the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, etherdome said:

I respect the opinions of others on these boards.  I know that Lawrence has a very strong following, but to be honest, I don't see a special NT that deserves to be drafted at #14.  If he is available in the second round, I would consider him, but I would not draft him at #14.  

I think we can find a developmental NT from a small school that can come close to what Lawrence does.  And if not, we can sign a vet NT that can certainly provide the same.

I can respect your position. However there is no way Lawrencium makes it out of the first round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Louis Riddick on ESPN NFL Live has weighed in - he says Christian Wilkins is hands down the best defender over Dexter Lawrence.

 

So that really was a topic on nfl live?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Louis Riddick on ESPN NFL Live has weighed in - he says Christian Wilkins is hands down the best defender over Dexter Lawrence.

 

Here is the problem: I don’t believe Lawrence has been healthy since his Freshman year.  At 19 years old most said he was a lock to be the #1 pick in 2019 Draft.  He played severely injured his Sophomore year and was plagued with nagging injuries this year.  Pulled his hammy at the combine. 

Lawrence is the better talent.  Higher upside to simply dominate a game.  Can he stay healthy?  I don’t know.  Would love to see him play at 325 lbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

So that really was a topic on nfl live?

No, that wasn’t the topic- the topic was going over the top DTs and Riddick made the distinction.

VTCrunkler likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Here is the problem: I don’t believe Lawrence has been healthy since his Freshman year.  At 19 years old most said he was a lock to be the #1 pick in 2019 Draft.  He played severely injured his Sophomore year and was plagued with nagging injuries this year.  Pulled his hammy at the combine. 

Lawrence is the better talent.  Higher upside to simply dominate a game.  Can he stay healthy?  I don’t know.  Would love to see him play at 325 lbs

Why are we taking a player like Lawrence that can’t stay healthy? and got capped for PEDS?

Can you say red flags?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Why are we taking a player like Lawrence that can’t stay healthy? and got capped for PEDS?

Can you say red flags?

They are certainly red flags.  I love him as a player/specimen.  But there is an unknown when it comes to him

g-dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

They are certainly red flags.  I love him as a player/specimen.  But there is an unknown when it comes to him

Lawrence is the riskiest player we can take at #14.

To me, the first round pick should be about minimizing risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

No, that wasn’t the topic- the topic was going over the top DTs and Riddick made the distinction.

He knew that after reading these boards!  Lol. Jk 

g-dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Lawrence is the riskiest player we can take at #14.

To me, the first round pick should be about minimizing risk.

We’ve gotten to the point at evaluating talent that if he is our pick, ill be confident

We are top 3 in the draft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simmons being hurt also hurt our chances of landing Oliver. I think I’d rather have Wilkins than Gary at this point. 

g-dawg likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Winged Warrior said:

Wilkins should be the choice , build out from the middle is always the best strategy.

Doesn't Dexter Lawrence play in the middle...

And why draft a 4-3 undertackle during a superbowl window year when you have a great one signed already???

Ridley was a compliment to Julio rather than a clone, which is what Wilkins would be if we played him with Jarrett.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now