VTCrunkler

Wilkins vs. Lawrence

229 posts in this topic

Just now, VTCrunkler said:

how many snaps did Riley have as a starter?  any?

He must have had 7 games worth.  We gave him ample opportunity.  Problem was his head. His inability to diagnose quickly negated his obvious athletic prowess

Stryka and VTCrunkler like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Stunts would start getting home with Takk & Grady working one side and Lawrence or Wilkins with Vic on the other 

Exactly. Both have quick feet with Lawrence being the quicker and more athletic of the two.

FalconsIn2020 and Stryka like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I scouted the whole team a few weeks before the National Championship and knew they were the better on the line match for match. Every one of their starting DL is getting drafted with three in the first round

FalconsIn2020 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

I scouted the whole team a few weeks before the National Championship and knew they were the better on the line match for match. Every one of their starting DL is getting drafted with three in the first round

Honest question: after scouting Clemson before the NCG, did you have any inkling BAMA was in trouble?

It was such an odd game.  Clemson couldn’t stop BAMA between the 10’s, but boy was it ugly once Alabama was primed to score.  Score didn’t really indicate how close those teams were 

Stryka and Knight of God like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Honest question: after scouting Clemson before the NCG, did you have any inkling BAMA was in trouble?

It was such an odd game.  Clemson couldn’t stop BAMA between the 10’s, but boy was it ugly once Alabama was primed to score.  Score didn’t really indicate how close those teams were 

Yes, most of us scout geeks were nervous as crap. I said as much on here before the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

We struggled with teams without a power running game. Unless the browns are doing something I’m not aware of. 

Was just saying because people kept saying i cant believe we lost to the browns so didn't know if you were on the same boat.

Yeah they ran us over and are a talented team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Was just saying because people kept saying i cant believe we lost to the browns so didn't know if you were on the same boat.

Yeah they ran us over and are a talented team.

No no I believe we lost. They surprised us and we didn’t take them seriously. What I’m saying is we can’t stop the browns run game much less Steelers 

Knight of God and red falcon like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Knight of God said:

Yes, most of us scout geeks were nervous as crap. I said as much on here before the game.

I can’t believe how much Dionte struggled. 

Knight of God and Stryka like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

I can’t believe how much Dionte struggled. 

Exposed. I said early I’m the season he was a 4th rounder looking to happen. 

VTCrunkler likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

That’s too bad. He showed promise as a single high. 

That’s just it, he’s a good single high. He’s not a good rolling safety. 

VTCrunkler likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, red falcon said:

Was just saying because people kept saying i cant believe we lost to the browns so didn't know if you were on the same boat.

Yeah they ran us over and are a talented team.

Yeah man we got ran the @#$%#@ over a lot last year.  Thats what i want our team to be. I just want to run people over. Will do wonders for playaction. 

Vandy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Knight of God said:

Exactly. Both have quick feet with Lawrence being the quicker and more athletic of the two.

He is quick for a man that size but he kind of does his damage within 10-yards of where he lined up whereas Wilkins in all over the place and the one you see running sideline to sideline.  I love both guys and had favored DL over CW until a few weeks ago when I started watching for the little things and not just splash plays and Wilkins is so active.  CW is way more athletic in pads than his underwear numbers.  Crazy motor.   Gonna drop this Clemson v. Syracuse footage as they probably did the best job against Clemson DL of anyone.  I think this game is very much what you can expect of these two...DL holding up a little better at the LoS and Wilkins being able to pressure QB better and able drop into coverage in a pinch. Wish we could have them both as I think both will have NFL success.

 

VTCrunkler and Ergo Proxy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, VTCrunkler said:

That’s too bad. He showed promise as a single high. 

Not touching or drafting  a BAMA or Saban coached player in the secondary.  They will never be coached as well ever again

VTCrunkler likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Not touching or drafting  a BAMA or Saban coached player in the secondary.  They will never be coached as well ever again

I concur. I don’t want to draft him. But some team miggt draft him higher than the fourth 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

He is quick for a man that size but he kind of does his damage within 10-yards of where he lined up whereas Wilkins in all over the place and the one you see running sideline to sideline.  I love both guys and had favored DL over CW until a few weeks ago when I started watching for the little things and not just splash plays and Wilkins is so active.  CW is way more athletic in pads than his underwear numbers.  Crazy motor.   Gonna drop this Clemson v. Syracuse footage as they probably did the best job against Clemson DL of anyone.  I think this game is very much what you can expect of these two...DL holding up a little better at the LoS and Wilkins being able to pressure QB better and able drop into coverage in a pinch. Wish we could have them both as I think both will have NFL success.

 

Dexter with the constant double teams and they didn’t run it his way very often. Good vid. I watched this game too. Syracuse was a tough out 

Monolith2001 and Vandy like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

He is quick for a man that size but he kind of does his damage within 10-yards of where he lined up whereas Wilkins in all over the place and the one you see running sideline to sideline.  I love both guys and had favored DL over CW until a few weeks ago when I started watching for the little things and not just splash plays and Wilkins is so active.  CW is way more athletic in pads than his underwear numbers.  Crazy motor.   Gonna drop this Clemson v. Syracuse footage as they probably did the best job against Clemson DL of anyone.  I think this game is very much what you can expect of these two...DL holding up a little better at the LoS and Wilkins being able to pressure QB better and able drop into coverage in a pinch. Wish we could have them both as I think both will have NFL success.

 

I really like Dex at the zero head up over the C in these highlights man everytime he’s killing the opposing C into that backfield.

3T he gets washed alot and the doubles seem to get to him there more so than the above.

5 T on the edge well no problems edge setting there.

Key points I’m taking out of these highlights is best use is getting Dex lined up in a man on man head up situation.I think he wins every time and that length and leverage come to play.

VTCrunkler and Monolith2001 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

I really like Dex at the zero head up over the C in these highlights man everytime he’s killing the opposing C into that backfield.

3T he gets washed alot and the doubles seem to get to him there more so than the above.

5 T on the edge well no problems edge setting there.

Key points I’m taking out of these highlights is best use is getting Dex lined up in a man on man head up situation.I think he wins every time and that length and leverage come to play.

Seems like you can get more one on ones at the 0. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2019 at 5:05 AM, Smiler11 said:

True but that was 2008-2012, i.e. prior to the explosion of 11 personnel groupings on offense and consequently the explosion of nickel and 'big' nickel packages on defense to stop it. Coincidently 2012 was the year Nickel first became more prevalent than base defenses. 2015 it became the most used defensive package of all.

Teams are now in base approximately 30% of the time with the remainder spent in sub packages. Prior to 2012 it was almost the flip reverse.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1178826-nfl-why-nickel-defense-is-growing-in-popularity-to-combat-passing-league.amp.html

Nickel was popular even back then man.

Smiler11 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

True, but 2012 was the first year nickel packages were utilised more than base packages. In other words from 2012 onwards the sub package players became more valuable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Smiler11 said:

True, but 2012 was the first year nickel packages were utilised more than base packages. In other words from 2012 onwards the sub package players became more valuable.

And the Seahawks slaughtered offenses using Red Bryant everywhere to wear down every offensive lineman. He'd still be doing it had he not gotten old.

FalconsIn2020 and VTCrunkler like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would really be ok to get Wilkins or Lawrence ... aside of Q Williams who is a top 3 talent and EO who should go top 10.. those 2 guys should be really good with Grady and bring the defense to another level.. they should trive in our system.. 

VTCrunkler likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

And the Seahawks slaughtered offenses using Red Bryant everywhere to wear down every offensive lineman. He'd still be doing it had he not gotten old.

That's conjecture I guess. My opinion is they replaced him with a younger guy in Michael Bennett who could stay on the field in sub packages. 

Red Bryant was one of the best run defenders in the league. He made that base end role (4/4i/5 tech) his own. He went from playing 60+ % of defensive snaps every season to just 46% in 2013.  The Seahawks cut him at 28/29, so the guy was still young. The value of base players just wasn't what it was literally only 3-4 years prior.

Ergo Proxy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2019 at 2:58 PM, Smiler11 said:

I voted Lawrence because he's easier to project as a contributer.

Personally I wouldn't take either at #14. Both are late 1st/early 2nd round talents for me.

So maybe trade down and get an extra pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now